First CFL Grow Using 30 Watt CFLs

Re: first cfl grow using 30watt cfls

sounds good mate, the plants will love it, my cleared customs in my country yesterday so hoping it will be here tomorrow or tue as monday is bank holiday.

i fimmed the top of the plants, not sure if it worked properly, the nodes lower down grew up and became the top of the plant then where i fimd i have a stem growing so i have got 3 tops to the plant, i fimd some lower branches as well and its seems to have worked on the lower branches, im not doing anything else to it except to tie the lower branches down to promote upwards growth at the nodes on these branches which seems to be working very well, its just the height of the plant i cant seem to get growing again, the stem is about half an inch thick, im going to try not watering for a bit longer in case the soil is not draining properly, i water every 3 days so ill cut it down and see what happens and go by how the leaves look, i have also stopped giving the nutes as my bpn products are on their way and didnt want to cause problems in case they didnt get on with each other so wanted to make sure all the nutes where used up in the soil before starting with bpn, im hoping the plants take off with the bpn, the berry bomb has got loads of growth and is stretching loads so i dont think the problem is the compost im using,

Really the best way to get it growing in height again is let the new Tops that you have from fimed let them start taking growth cuz when you cut the plant u put it in shock and has to heal and muliply its cells to create more branchs i dont like fim cuz it takes alot longer than Toped does, i mean yes i only have 2 tops but there all ready growing and are 3 inchs above the rest of the plant and my side nodes are growing well so it will be a very nice plant. if you upload some pics i will :)

ive tried places like, screwfix, toolstation, b&q, and all the hyper markets like asda, not tried homebase though, ill go and have a look when i get chance, but i got mine off the net so ill have to check the prices in home base, could do with some 30 watt 6500k bulbs that are as big as the 30watt 2700k bulbs, so if i could source some of them then i would be very happy indeed,

does anyone know if its worth me having any 2700k bulbs in the veg room, am i gaining anything by having them in my veg room or am i just wasting my time,

the 2700k bulbs can still help in the veg room. Especially if you're under 60w sq/foot, but overall if you can control the heat, more light is always good in either of those two spectrums

Hey Don paul ,
I want to come back at something maybe i would help you .
Topping your plant can stop the growth for a longer period than when you fim your plants.

There is a rule when it comes to topping your plants .
internode.jpg

I never top my plants but when you do? this the way to do it at the fith internode .

hi, thanks for the info, the fimming didnt work and it only gave me 1 stem that was barely growing, so i topped it so that i have got the 2 stems now as the top of the plant, the new growth didnt look right, it was coming out of the side and not from where a node should be, and been as these 2 shoots from the node had caught up and become the top of the plant i decided to cut that small growth off, and withing 24hours the change is amazing the 2 shoots that had become the top have grown closer to each other and both are exactly the same height, i have seen more growth in 24 hours then i have over the last week, i think the plant was trying to repair my fim attempt and this stunted the growth, now the plant seems to be growing again, well so far anyway, the 2 tops i have now got are starting to stretch towards the light, the plant had not done this for a week or more and think the error with fimming caused this, so i may be able to lower the lights back down a bit now, ill give it a couple of days to check growth, but it seems the plant looks healthier and its filling out quicker,

i think ill stick with topping from now on, seems easier to do and you can be sure to get it right, so as of now my plant has got 2 tops to it, both the same height, ill leave the lower branches that i tried to fim as i think that went ok, well its seems to be growing anyway so maybe it worked or maybe its growing back what i cut off, ill find out very soon,

thanks for the info, when i topped it all i dont was took off about half an inch and down to where the growth was coming out at the node just below the tip of the stem so now my plant looks like a letter Y now one stem that splits into 2, i suppose i could have a shoot come out of the middle of the Y making it have 3 tops but been as the branches at the node are now the highest part of the plant i dont think it will grow again, my stem seems really thick about half an inch across, seems very thing, both my indica plants have a thick stem, im hoping its just the strain and not a problem im having,

but so far so good, growth seems to have started again, bpn products didnt turn up today and wont now till after bank holiday weekend so i have fed the plants my normal nutes been as their growing again, my berry bomb is still stretching so raised it closer to the lights,

my auto has very little stem growth and by little i mean the leaves are basically growing at ground level, it seems healthier today and a lot greener and the next set of leaves are now growing out the middle, i touched it and it dont move its solid its as if it has a solid stem but without having a stem, seems very strange, but its alive and ill see what happens over a few days, i think it should start growing the stem soon, most plants have stretched before the leaves start forming but this seems to have formed the leaves and no stem, possibly seed problem, not to sure, will find out soon though

ill keep you posted on my auto, and let you know,

i think i have noticed a problem with something thats not right.

here it is, my berry bomb seed was purchased from the same seed seller as another grower on here, we purchased them same day and soaked and planted them the same day, now my berry bomb has grown its seed leaf and its next single but proper looking leaf and now its growing the next set but only just started.

the other grower is like 2 sets of leaves ahead, my compost as got no nutes added to it, my lights are on 24-0 and my plant seems way behind, the seeds should be from the same batch, where both using same lights, but mine looks like its a week behind theirs even though its less than a week old, the other grower looks like theirs is growing a lot quicker, what am i doing wrong, could it be the water, i let it stand for at least 24hour before watering, i add no nutes to plants this young, but still its slower than their plant,

i mean could it be my temps to cool, or something else, my compost breaks up easy and dont bulk together so i dont think its that, its easy to sift through and drains fast so im sure the roots are not getting flooded, but the pot itself is bigger than the pots their using for their berry bomb but all ready i can see roots coming out the bottom of my pot, its like the roots are growing quicker and the plants are slow, its growing and im pleased with the growth but just not sure why the growth is slower

ill keep you posted on my auto, and let you know,

i think i have noticed a problem with something thats not right.

here it is, my berry bomb seed was purchased from the same seed seller as another grower on here, we purchased them same day and soaked and planted them the same day, now my berry bomb has grown its seed leaf and its next single but proper looking leaf and now its growing the next set but only just started.

the other grower is like 2 sets of leaves ahead, my compost as got no nutes added to it, my lights are on 24-0 and my plant seems way behind, the seeds should be from the same batch, where both using same lights, but mine looks like its a week behind theirs even though its less than a week old, the other grower looks like theirs is growing a lot quicker, what am i doing wrong, could it be the water, i let it stand for at least 24hour before watering, i add no nutes to plants this young, but still its slower than their plant,

i mean could it be my temps to cool, or something else, my compost breaks up easy and dont bulk together so i dont think its that, its easy to sift through and drains fast so im sure the roots are not getting flooded, but the pot itself is bigger than the pots their using for their berry bomb but all ready i can see roots coming out the bottom of my pot, its like the roots are growing quicker and the plants are slow, its growing and im pleased with the growth but just not sure why the growth is slower

Most strains aren't stable enough that each plant looks the same. Probably just different phenotypes. I planted three autos(Biosiesel Mass from Advanced). Two of them are nearly identical(about 18" 3 1/2 weeks from seed) while the third is just over half their size and seems to have different looking leaves.

im still deciding what lightings best for auto's some say 24-0 others say 20-4, but their auto's so shouldnt they flower due to age and not light schedule,

my fan leaves block all my light, is there harm in clipping at the petiole? this is my first grow and i'm trying to get as many stems as a can till later on in the grow. i have been fimming, but don't know if clipping the fan leaves does more damage than good

my fan leaves block all my light, is there harm in clipping at the petiole? this is my first grow and i'm trying to get as many stems as a can till later on in the grow. i have been fimming, but don't know if clipping the fan leaves does more damage than good

What type of light are you using? I wouldn't clip the fan leaves. If anything try and tuck them out of the way but you don't really have to worry about the fan leaves blocking anything until you are flowering. You can try LST if you want to get more light penetration.

What type of light are you using? I wouldn't clip the fan leaves. If anything try and tuck them out of the way but you don't really have to worry about the fan leaves blocking anything until you are flowering. You can try LST if you want to get more light penetration.

I agree; Tuck, don't pluck....Defoliation is for the experimenters, and experienced. I don't do much of it myself.
LST is great....

Most strains aren't stable enough that each plant looks the same. Probably just different phenotypes. I planted three autos(Biosiesel Mass from Advanced). Two of them are nearly identical(about 18" 3 1/2 weeks from seed) while the third is just over half their size and seems to have different looking leaves.

Yep, you will see a handfull of different phenotypes in a lot of the seed stock out there today. I wouldn't worry about the plant at this stage anyway. That thing may just go on a growth spurt and out grow his. No use in getting worried about it.
I have two JillBeans right now that are night and day polar opposites.
I also have two Chemwreck Kushes that were pretty different as well. Its no big deal. Patients.....:Namaste:

im still deciding what lightings best for auto's some say 24-0 others say 20-4, but their auto's so shouldnt they flower due to age and not light schedule,

Theoretically, you're correct, but I've heard from some people that the autos sometimes don't like 24/0. Before it warmed up outside, mine were on 20/4.:goodluck:

I agree; Tuck, don't pluck....Defoliation is for the experimenters, and experienced. I don't do much of it myself.
LST is great....

how you think i did on my LST? first time grower here other than one plant(came out decent, no training or anything, didn't pay much attention, i don't consider it a grow lol):Namaste:

i here all of ya, ill keep the auto at 20-4, for the first week ill stay at 24-0 to try and boost the veg for short time but then it will be 20-4,

as for my leaf blocking light problem, well the stems under the leaves been blocked had a lot less growth than the stem the other side of the plant where i had tucked the leaf out of the way, so i would think its important to stop any leaves blocking anything during veg, so what im doing is pulling the leaves out the way using piped cleaners and it seems to be working great

now after some hunting i managed to find a company that stock 23watt 6500 k cfl bulbs, the place is toolstation, now when i looked through their catalogue under bulbs they only sell 2700k bulbs, i even asked at counter and they said they didnt sell them, but then i had a close look at the outdoot security lights, and they had one listed that had a cfl bulb inside it, so i kept reading then it said the bulb was a 23watt c/w cfl, and then it gave the order number, i took it counter and got them to get one, and it said on the box 23watt 6500k cfl, so yep they stock them and cost £3 something, less than £4, so picked one up with the change i had in my pocket, only problem is its a screw fit and my sockets are bayonet, so i need a converter or ill just solder the wires to the bulb and hang it, not the safest option but works as ive used it before.

now back to business, right my slow growth problem i think has been solved, i topped my plants as i fucked up the fuck i missed attempt, the plant was trying to repair what i cut and it only produced one shoot at the side of the top of the stem and nothing else so i gained nothing, i decided to top it so the growth at the node below would be the top of the plant, this then gave me 2 heads and growth started soon after, i also checked my temps and found that when the fan was blowing on the plants the temp was down to 58f, day time temps so would be cooler at night, so i switched the fan off as it dont get that hot anyway and i must admit it seems to work, my auto looks better and berry bomb looks better and overall all the plants seem to be growing again and stretching for the lights, so ill give it a few days and try lowering the lights and check if the plants continue this growth.

ill put some pics up in the morning, time is 2:43am so its late and im chilling so ill post some pics in a few hours,

so im hoping my growth problems where just a blip and a temp and fim problem, looks like its all back on track,

Yeah temps at 58F are to cold man! You need to find a way to keep them warmer when the lights are off. Also I never really worry about fan leaves shading to much while in veg. I kind of only think about it when they're flowering and blocking bud sites. If you want the light to get to the whole plant evenly, then you should LST!

Back
Top Bottom