First Ever Grow! - Follow Along - Criticism Appreciated

most modern water districts no longer use chlorine... they use chloramine, which is a stable product that can not be removed by evaporation or boiling. You are welcome... glad to help.
This is correct. Also it does not remove it when you stick it in a bucket and/or bubble it with an air pump. Just mentioning it because so many people on this forum seem to store their tap water for days with a air stone in it thinking it will make a difference

This is correct. Also it does not remove it when you stick it in a bucket and/or bubble it with an air pump. Just mentioning it because so many people on this forum seem to store their tap water for days with a air stone in it thinking it will make a difference

Actually, bubbling your water has a profound effect, almost like giving steroids to a human. Roots need oxygen, and what better way to bring it to them than in the water itself? Oxygenated water is amazing stuff, even though creating it does nothing to the chloramine or any of the other things in that water.

My tap water is more oxygenated from the tap then it would be after sitting in a bucket with an air stone, but whatever you like.

Not to be argumentative, but you should look into actively aerated compost teas, or AACT. In order to make a quality compost tea teaming with microlife, it is important to aggressively aerate the water. I had to buy a special air pump and 3 air stones so that I could pump 768 gallons of air per hour into my 5 gallon bucket brewer. Trust me... there is way more air in my water than comes out of the tap.

I disagree too, but don't care to argue either.

Here is the last I will say about it.

Dissolved oxygen fluctuates in all water depending on the existing physical conditions. Tap water is usually under pressure and thus contain quite higher levels of dissolved oxygen; but once poured into a container under atmospheric conditions, dissolved oxygen levels will attain equilibrium concentrations. On the other hand, distilled water is normally deficient of dissolved oxygen, and once left open to the atmosphere, it shall absorb more oxygen to attain equilibrium concentrations. You may need to consider factors such as temperature, and pressure.

Try it, take a glass of water from the tap. Is it milky looking? That's dissolved air. Watch it for a few minutes and you will see the dissolved air drop so much it will stop being cloudy.

Why does my drinking water look cloudy sometimes? Water science questions and answers, from the USGS Water Science School

Also I am a hydroponic grower so I don't use teas and drenches

I don't intend to thread jack but I'm checking back in with what I said I'd do. Boiling my water raised ppm's significantly.

Tap water from faucet- 260ppm

Tap water run thru PUR filter- 250ppm

PUR filter water boiled and cooled- 315ppm

I'm gonna post something in the FAQ section. Doesn't seem harmful but I want to understand why it raised... I'll be more thorough in FAQ thread.

What does ppm stand for and is a higher number better please link me to your post in FAQ

Sent from my iPhone using 420

First Ever Grow! Follow Along - Criticism Appreciated

What does ppm stand for and is a higher number better please link me to your post in FAQ

PPM is parts per million and/or parts per millilitre I believe.

I don't intend to thread jack but I'm checking back in with what I said I'd do. Boiling my water raised ppm's significantly.

Tap water from faucet- 260ppm

Tap water run thru PUR filter- 250ppm

PUR filter water boiled and cooled- 315ppm

I'm gonna post something in the FAQ section. Doesn't seem harmful but I want to understand why it raised... I'll be more thorough in FAQ thread.

When you boil water, part of the water evaporates as steam. As a result, you have less water but you still have the same amount of solids, hence a higher ppm.

When you boil water, part of the water evaporates as steam. As a result, you have less water but you still have the same amount of solids, hence a higher ppm.

Is higher ppm better or worse for your plants and if you boiled with an unvented lid would this effect anything? Just curious

We measure out fertilizer levels with ppm. I run 500-800ppm in my grow for hydro. For the tap water having high ppm that usually just means you have "hard water" with dissolved minerals in it. My hard water allows me to skip calcium feeds that most people say they need with led.

Boiled water vs not will not make any significant difference. Think of the wasted electrical bill boiling water.

Better explanation:
Causation vs Correlation

if you dont allow the steam to escape, the water volume should not decrease, and therefore I don't believe that your ppm's would change at all. PPM's are neither good nor bad... high ppm's of nerve gas in the air would be bad, low ppms of many poisons are considered harmless. Plants need minerals, and in many gardens, some of those trace minerals come in via your tap water. In this case, ppms are good and it seems silly to filter the stuff out. Other people want to know exactly what is in their soil or their hydro mix, and do not want these things coming in via the water, so they choose to use RO or Distilled water which should have very low ppms. Then of course, you could have high ppm of one element, and low ppms of another, within the same medium. It all gets very complicated.

Added more soil tonight and watered, all of the plants were bone dry and looking droopy let's see how they feel tomorrow morning. Goodnight all

5226030f379848c103fd08b7002c1aea.jpg

Looking good! Here ya go ybtk. I've always thought boiling water cleans it. Maybe it still kills bacteria but the ppm's (Parts Per Million) do rise. As stated above it's not life or death. And some of the particles in the water are benificial minerials. Idk. But here's my experiment to give an idea of how you boiling water affects the ppm's.

Boiling water raises the ppm's - Why? - Details provided

Well after adding some more soil and watering last night these girls are looking nice and healthy/happy!

I was going to go 10 gallon what would you recommend

I would recommend 1 gallon first, then 3, and then 10... or if you dont want to go that big, 1 gallon to a 3 or a 5 gallon. Whatever you do, dont go straight to a huge container, you will lose all control over watering correctly if you do and you will never get a good rootball developed.

By how they look as of right now would you say they are ready for a 3 gallon anytime soon

Back
Top Bottom