First Grow Advice Welcome

The only device that does this is a PAR meter. PAR is photosynthetically active radiation. It's the light that plants see.

You could use comparative results in LUX with your iPhone by using the Galatica app. It's not scientific but it can help with light placement.
I get this value at 5 inches from my plant using reflective light mode on the app.
420-magazine-mobile1163251252.jpg

In direct measurement mode (camera pointing directly at light) I get this value.
420-magazine-mobile1202618939.jpg

Get the app and see what results you get.

Or spend $500 on a good PAR meter.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Thank you i found a similar one for android like you said its not scientific but its surprising pretty accurate for an app!
My MH bulb says its about 68k lumens the app says its about 73k

Very glad you showed me this because im definitely not dishing out 500 for a meter its never that serious lol

I guess it would be hard to advertise a light fixture as "4.6 µmol/J* per cm squared at 30cm".
Just wouldn't look good on the box.

The only device that does this is a PAR meter. PAR is photosynthetically active radiation. It's the light that plants see.

You could use comparative results in LUX with your iPhone by using the Galatica app. It's not scientific but it can help with light placement.
I get this value at 5 inches from my plant using reflective light mode on the app.
420-magazine-mobile1163251252.jpg

In direct measurement mode (camera pointing directly at light) I get this value.
420-magazine-mobile1202618939.jpg

Get the app and see what results you get.

Or spend $500 on a good PAR meter.

So if a par meter read 990 lux at the leaves, what would that mean? Is that lots of light, little light?

Sent from inside the tent.

Can anyone Help me with my first grow?

PAR meter or iPhone Lux meter app?

I got 6200 Lux (6.2k) reflective light with the bulb 5" from the leaves. On the 100w LED.
900 would be 6.8888888 times less.
Not good for Lux but plants don't see Lux. They see PAR.

Lux is how bright a light looks to the human eye, par is how much usable light is falling on the planets surface. The more the better up to a certain point.

Meter.

420-magazine-mobile532892830.jpg

There is 24" between lights and ladies. Major difference when the meter is raised up to 12" away, and again when 6" away. I did just realize that it's on the FC setting.

Sent from inside the tent.

Well I'd go with the meter then. The problem with Lux as PennyWise said is essentially "lumens are for humans". A low Lux rating on a red/blue spectrum led grow light only means that it wouldn't be very good for lighting your house
Great for plants....shit for reading a book at night.

From experience you can get those R/B spectrum bulbs very close to your plants. (4-6")
Seedlings not so much but ideally 12" from the canopy is a good distance for a seedling with that light.

Wrong post. Sorry guys.

Nope, I was wrong. I was in the right spot. Lol!

There you are. I'd suggest you revisit the post on linking the grow to your signature. It's just formatting.

Nice and clean Lochness. A question though, if you have the seedlings under the fluorescents is there any reason to have the LEDs on? Your hood for the fluorescents effectively blocks any LED light trying to get to them. I'd cut their power or take out the fluorescents and let the LEDs do the full job.

Do you have any reason behind this choice?

Looks like you're going to have some fun. Enjoy. Make a lot of friends. You're certainly off to a great start.

JimmyJames, thanks for the info dump. You have me thinking about lights.

Like I said. It's not a PAR meter. But it'll give you an idea.
I keep my LED's around 8" inches from the canopy.
And keep in mind your (or any) LED's are not 600 or 1000w. Watts is a unit of consumption not a measurement of brightness. Chinese companies use watts to fool you. If you plugged your LED panel into a "kil-a-watt" meter. (A metre that tells you how much electricity you're drawing out of the wall) you would probably find that you're drawing about 230 W per panel out from the plug.
It's kind of a scam and people need to be aware of this. By comparison I use 12x100 W equivalent LED bulbs that consume actual 14 W a piece from the wall. That's only 168watts. But by Chinese standards I would be using 1200 Watts. See how companies lie to us. Lol.

Ya I read about that somewhere before I decided to choose 2 instead of 1 and you're right it does seem a little shady! Lol cheers!

Ya I read about that somewhere before I decided to choose 2 instead of 1 and you're right it does seem a little shady! Lol cheers!

Not really their fault. People are so used to watts that any other rating wouldn't be easily understood by the general public.
Most bulb companies put watts (W), lumens(Lm), Kelvin(K) on their packaging. But not one of these tells you its Photosynthetically Active Radiation.
Most bulbs and diodes even marketed as "Grow Lights" don't have any PAR information. Something I hope the industry will one day correct.

Wrong post. Sorry guys.

Nope, I was wrong. I was in the right spot. Lol!

There you are. I'd suggest you revisit the post on linking the grow to your signature. It's just formatting.

Nice and clean Lochness. A question though, if you have the seedlings under the fluorescents is there any reason to have the LEDs on? Your hood for the fluorescents effectively blocks any LED light trying to get to them. I'd cut their power or take out the fluorescents and let the LEDs do the full job.

Do you have any reason behind this choice?

Looks like you're going to have some fun. Enjoy. Make a lot of friends. You're certainly off to a great start.

JimmyJames, thanks for the info dump. You have me thinking about lights.

Hey thanks for the question on why my light setup is the way it is. Well to be honest i thought I would try a method and not sure if it's going to work good or if it's going too stunt the growth of my seedlings. So Im basically slowly rising the fluorescents each day until I can take away the fluorescent light and the seedlings will gradually turn into the LED spectrum. Im basically working them into a intenser spectrum as leds are very powerful magnified lasers and Im afraid if I use my leds from seedlings it might be to intense for them so I'm hoping by slowly raising my tubes I'm hoping they will adapt better this way? I am no pro on anything here by any means for all I know I could be screwing up and stunting the growing cycle into my veg ? Any thoughts ?

thank you for the kind words and help cheers!

I found this picture diagram if anyone wants to read it cheers everyone happy 420 24/7!

420-magazine-mobile724475790.jpg

Back
Top Bottom