First Grow Guidance: 400w MH/600w HPS & Soil

As promised, here's some pix of the yellowing I was referring to..

yellowleaf1.jpg

yellowleaf2.jpg

yellowleaf3.jpg

Thanks!

Harry

I hate to say it but I think it is in the early stages of being rootbound...I hope I am wrong but that is what mine did.. The big ones died off and then the others started going....I think you are to the point of hoping for the best and maybe they will finish before the roots get totally bound up.... Your ladies are beautiful.. :peace:

Yeah, you could very well be right BE. Did you try flushing and/or some kind of alternate watering or feeding schedule to try to get your bound plants to the end?

With the 1st plant that I suspected might be becoming root bound due to leaf die off, I flushed with 5 gallons so water. It came back and now looks pretty stable and seems to be finishing, but slowly.

I think I'm going to let these two dry out (just watered and fed yesterday), then flush 5 gallons through them. I've never flushed them. I also think I may have too many nutes in there as well. Until recently, I had been feeding the on every watering, albeit around half strength nutes 'til a couple of weeks ago. I guess when I read the FF feeding chart, I didn't notice the "feed every other watering" on the soil schedule. Maybe it won't put a total halt on them and still get me through to the end or close to it.

I'm still trying to change my mindset from outdoor growing, where I wanted them as large as possible. I never worried about pot size and a carefully controlled feeding and watering schedule.

My main goal with this 1st indoor grow is to learn as much as I can and build on that with my next grow. If they all died tomorrow, I would still count this as a good grow. I think I went off the rails badly twice with this grow. Once when I waffled on moving them to 12/12 at 17-18" and instead letting them go to 22"-24", hoping they would show sex signs so I wouldn't have transplant them all to 5 gallon buckets. Still had to anyway. And second, feeding a little too much and not following the "feed every other watering" schedule.

Considering the dirt brown shwag I have access to, I'll be happy with anything I get from this grow. That and of course, the invaluable experience I've gained so far.

Thanks again!! :smokin:

Harry

Ok, I checked the PH with a soil testing kit (the capsule, soil and RO water) and compared to the color chart. The soil in both plants appear to have a spot on neutral PH. Is that OK?

If I flush a few gallons of water through them, could that hurt them? Not doing a full flush that will remove all the nutes but just leeching a few gallons through to remove any built up salts or excess nutes? Do you think that would be OK or should I just leave as is?

Harry

If your Ph is nuetral thats good. Means its neither too low or too high. Flushing can get rid of salt build up yes. Also it will rid the soil of excess nutrient build-up.

If you want to flush...then flush! its better safe then sorry, think of it that way. When you flush your supposed to use a minimum of 3x the size of your pot in water. I usually do 4 just to be safe.

I see what you're saying SG. I just assumed that since this wasn't going to be the final flush and I still might have 4+ weeks before the buds plump up and finish, I would be left with nute depleted soil for that time.

So should I start back in with some nutes after the flush? If so, what would you recommend I use? Ease back into the some flowering nutes? I have FF Tiger bloom (2-8-4) and FF Big Bloom organic.

Thanks man!

Harry

Hey Harry, what are those dark spots on the leaf in the bottom picture? You don't have bugs do you? Or maybe that is some kind of discoloration due to whatever is going on? Anyway, they still look very good to me with exception of yellowing on the lower leaves.

No, it's not bugs 4204all. It's just spotting that occurs before the leaf dies off.

I properly flushed one of the problem gals today. Here's some pix with her out of the flower area.

I don't know if it's the lighting or what but this plant has a hint of blue in the coloring, which makes for some pretty cool pix.

flush1.jpg

flush2.jpg

flush3.jpg

A bud..
flush4.jpg

A closeup..
flush5.jpg

This one is starting to fatten up the branches are starting to droop.

I think that's a good thing though. :smokin:

I'm not gonna mess with 'em any more. Just nutes and H2O 'til the final flush and I'll get what I get.

Harry

Well, I'm not sure yet SG. I just flushed this afternoon. I also transplanted Miss Burly to a larger pot and noticed there was not as good of a root system on the sides as I would have expected. I am using white and orange buckets that have fairly thick sides but I'm thinking that some light might still be getting through I think I'll wrap the pots with black plastic or black duct tape to eliminate that variable from the mix.

And thanks Shaggy & RLM. I have a couple more close up pix that I thought were cool but didn't post and I'm thinking you might enjoy them as well.

frost1.jpg

frost21.jpg

frost3.jpg

Harry

Thanks KevinStoner & McBudz.

Today is day 37 of flowering, McBudz. I haven't removed any fan leaves. They seem to be falling off by themselves on these last two. I performed an emergency flush in hopes of keeping them on as long as possible. I'll be letting them run their course from here on out.

Here's some pix of the 2nd flushed plant out of the flower box. The flush seems to have helped and I believe she's gonna make it through and produce some good budz.

Plant Shot
sickb1.jpg

Main Cola Shots
sickb2.jpg

sickb3.jpg

Secondary Cola Shots
sickb4.jpg

sickb5.jpg

sickb6.jpg

Close Ups
sickb7.jpg

sickb8.jpg