First Grow: Mental Floss & Satori

first cut!!

Got our first harvest out of the cab last night. Here is a lovely Mandala's Safari mix that got the chop at 63 days. We used a quick dry method and vaped a lower popcorn bud. No real taste of what she'll be like rolled or properly cured, but we did find out she was quite potent. 25-50 percent amber trichs, had a clear (not stoney) sort of high, that felt more like a body buzz. will do a proper smoke report later on. wet weight of trimmed bud, 1.82 oz. one main cola measuring 12" long. There is a second safari that is much larger that will be done in a week. She's still packing on the weight doesn't seem to want to stop growing :eek:)

safari63a.jpg

the bear thinks it smells great.

safaribear.jpg

White Berry is at day 40. She's done at 55 days or so yummy.

satori. There is one clone of each of our two satori moms here, really clear by the shape- spear pheno is day 57. Bat pheno on the right is day 50.

spearbat.jpg

and mental floss here, at day 50. She is rather stinky and I'm really excited to see a bit of a purple tint showing up in her

mental40.jpg

:yummy:

awe 3lions sorry to offend, I grew up in an environment where hunting is a valued past time, its in my blood, and I certainly would not call it cowardly by any stretch of the imagination. The majority of hunters are far more in tune with nature than any city kid you'll ever meet, and tag fees etc contribute to environmental cleanup and breeding programs for rarer species. I would not call the average, responsible hunter a coward. There are still polar bear hunts if you can beleive it, which I disagree with as they are already endangered.

In the case of black bears, population control here (well, a few hours north of here) is necessary, or we end up with bears in town looking for food they can't find in the wild and endangering the lives of its inhabitants. My grandmother lived in one of those towns, and a black bear actually came INTO her house and was after food in the cupboards when she discovered what the noise was about. Had it turned on her, she would have been killed. Generally, I find hunting far more humane than any poor existence that a beef cow or farm raised chicken ever had. In the case of this bear, it was hunted with a bow, not a gun, and it could have just as easily come after him and killed him, as it was less than 20 yards away by arrow. It also wasn't hunted for the display on the wall, but each and every pound of it was consumed. That isn't a young bear either, but a fully grown adult. Beats hormone fed veal raised in a tiny bubble so its meat can't get firm, any day.

To each his own, but I wouldn't call my man a coward, and to picture him going into the bush with a high powered gun and blowing away anything that moves is inaccuarate. You're more likely to see him tracking prints, studying food sources and wind, and enjoying the scenery than anything else. He might sit in a tree in the rain for 6 hours waiting for absolutely nothing and then go back out the next day and do it again. He normally sees what he is hunting while there but will not shoot unless he has a good angle for a humane shot that will not maime an animal and have it slowly bleed to death in the bush. I've known him for two deer seasons now and has yet to take even one, but paid hundreds of dollars on tags that fund government sponsored programs. My parents hunted wild fowl, and I can honestly say that thanks to my father's work building nest boxes and posting them in swamps (some of them still in use 20 years later) the population of certain types of ducks (wood duck in particular) have actually increased in those areas. That is a responsible hunter and they have a very important place in Canada's wild life preservation. This isn't Africa looking for elephants just to take their tusks and let the body rot, or a tiger just for a cool rug. Those are what we call poachers and they are the evil you speak of.

Well, I guess you have to forgive my perhaps ignorant comments to a degree. I take on board your mature response, I just took offence in that moment..

:peacetwo:

Thanks, perhaps my response was a bit agressive. I see your point as well. Beleive me on that one.

However, On a more pleasant note, I am currently smoking a bit of that bud the bear likes so much and its very rewarding, my first homegrown goods :eek:)

Cheers amigo

Congrats on the first harvest of your personal smoke! Hope it is fine! I just cheated a little on mine, I killed a branch on one of my cheese and therefore smoked the little popcorn buds it had half way through its flowering cycle.

I was mashed!

:thumb:

Ya this was quick dried in a food dehydrator, the rest is hanging, but we were too excited to try it out. So far, it was decent, at least better than the stuff I've been getting for the last year or so to be honest. We got a nice, clear headed high that was more like a body stone that could be felt in the upper body. Calm but not stoney. a good daytime weed. I have shoulder and neck problems, and I found it quickly relieved the nagging ache in my one shoulder I had at the time. Stronger buzz found when I vaped it rather than smoked it. Tastes and smells somewhat unremarkable, mild in odour - could have been a stealth outdoor strain if she were a little shorter flowering- would do better in a warmer climate than we have here. My closest approximation is the smell of sweet timothy/alfalfa hay with a touch of light citrus perhaps. This particular one didn't frost up too much, but she's green with many white and orange hairs that make her look a little prettier. She was a freebie, and a nice way to ease into the strains in the closet, we have some very potent stuff in there and I think that it will be nice to switch back to something a little like her once in a while. so far so good, but looking forward to the others!! The other safari is a much larger plant, and has frosted up quite a bit, there is a lot of resin just caked all over the lower buds. She's still packing on weight now, might be ready for chop in a week or so. Got some Nirvana early misty, and some whiteberry on the go for outdoors, once they are gone I am going to be starting up some paradise sensi star and possibly dj shorts blueberry. mmmm!! love the ability to have a collection of flavours to work with:eek:)

Right on Leenie. Nice to see you pulling across the finish line with some beautiful nugs. Congrats.

thanks for stickin around guys :smokin:

Well, I found out that first satori gave me pretty bad anxiety from anything more than teenie popcorn buds, and got worse as it dried, so that's out of rotation. Wouldn't say she was all that remarkable anyway We'll probably make out oil of of it when we have some more buds to go with that.

However... the second one got the chop this weekend at 68 days. Has a really nice, fresh lemon-skunky smell to her buds. Vaped, she had a nice, happy couch potato kind of buzz, I found myself getting the giggles. I dried a bit more out and tried her in a glass pipe, same thing really, has a pleasant taste and was pretty smooth, no coughing. nice uplifting sort of high. I wouldn't call it clear. I don't know that I'd be able to play video games all that well LOL I did get very high. Satori, whiteberry and mental floss will be getting the chop soon so it will last long enough to cure it properly. Decent yeild. 2.63 oz total wet, she was only vegged 12 days and thrown into 12/12 from seed so cant complain :eek:) expecting probably .5 to .75 oz or so dry, but not sure of the complete accuracy after getting into some popcorn this weekend... it is Victoria Day weekend after all. I don't think anyone cares about the Queen here but we really like to kick off the summer with a bang :eek:)

full

full

First of the Satoris gets the chop!

Satori #1 or "the queen" got the chop today at 65 days. Her trichs turned quick on her, were milky and then turned amber overnight, 50-75%. She's very sticky, dense and solid bud, with lots of foxtailing. She was so dense that fan leaves got filled in and we couldn't move the buds to trim them off- like they were wedged in and she grew around them. She has a lovely lemon scent that I don't remember being there a few days ago. Final wet weight after a trim, 2.23 oz. We vaped a lower bud, obviously not a final smoke report but she was tastey to say the least- I think I got a bit of a kiwi-pineapple sort of note to her and had a clear heady sort of buzz rather than a body buzz or stony couchlock sort of effect. No anxiety this time round- will see with a cure. So far, can't complain!:cheer:

satoriQnug.jpg

satoriQscale.jpg

satoriQ65.jpg

Nanners!

Mental floss has nanners. :eek:( hopefully we caught them before they polinated anything. Perhaps a weak genetic, or stress the only sort I can think of is possibly due to heat- there's none on any of the others. We'll see what happens with the other mental floss 4 clone, its a few weeks behind the first one, but is a much stronger clone by the look of it. though... I won't be entirely disappointed with a cross between MF and anything in there to be honest, I wouldn't mind a seed or two.

Re: Nanners!

Mental floss has nanners. :eek:( hopefully we caught them before they polinated anything. Perhaps a weak genetic, or stress the only sort I can think of is possibly due to heat- there's none on any of the others. We'll see what happens with the other mental floss 4 clone, its a few weeks behind the first one, but is a much stronger clone by the look of it. though... I won't be entirely disappointed with a cross between MF and anything in there to be honest, I wouldn't mind a seed or two.

Opportunities in disguise; way to go on looking at what many would have considered a "problem".

Mental Floss and Satori Bat Pheno get the chop at 69 days

Two more ladies got the big cut today.

The first up, Satori, the second phenotype to get the chop, the "Bat". My boyfriend calls her the Orbital or orb. She is very thick, and has eaten up her top fan leaves halfway into the cola. I think she will definately be a heavier yield than the other pheno but will report on that when she's dry. We could have let her go a little longer, but she was sucking the life out of all the leaves and the small ones on her calyx were starting to yellow as well. She was about 10% amber.She frosted up nicely, and as I was trimming her, I grabbed a leaf at the bottom of the top bud and put my finger in literally a gob of resin that felt like jam. She smells much the same as the other pheno, piney citrus that has a bit of an astringent quality to it. She's a relatively easy to grow plant, and though the plants were sensitive to high nutes in veg, when in flower got max dose according to directions of Iguana juice Bloom, and Liquid Karma with no problems.

orbd69.jpg
orb69-1.jpg

The second, my "Princess" Mental Floss at 69 days as well. Gorgeous looking bud covered in foxtails calyxes stacked on top of each other like toppling dishes. She was about 25% amber, quite frosty and VERY VERY stinky! I Can't wait to smoke this one greedy greedy over her. She smells, the closest I can say is skunky juniper berries, but we had a hard time coming up with anything. She just smells delicious. Touching her leaves your fingers sticking together. After trimming and beside the Satori she looks a lot heavier yielding than I thought she would be, though she's not as dense, her cola is almost as big around and taller. She is a sensitive plant, in the mother cab she is small and dainty, and responds quickly to stress. This particular clone in the flowering cab developed nanners all over her. probably 20 or more. We picked most of them off as it was late in flower, but we might get a few seeds out of her/him :eek:( As there was only one nanner on one of the other plants a satori, any stress in the cab certainly effected her a lot more. The lights fell on them during the dark period once, and the doors were open for 10 minutes, and was open 2 minutes before for a watering before going out for the night. She had extended photo sessions, and maybe didn't do as well with the heat as the satoris running at up to 36 celcius at times. We have another clone on the go that will be done in another 20 days or so, but didn't experience the light interruptions or the photo sessions we'll see how she fairs before axing the mom as a weak genetic for our cab. Still a gorgeous specimen and everything I had hoped for when I picked this strain.

mentalfloss2.jpg

MentalFloss.jpg

:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom