First grow - Sea of Green style

Racefan said:
they are 4 feet away from the light? Your only using about 1/16 of the available lumens if that. I place my 1000watt HPS about 12 inches away from my plants. You need to get it closer. If temps are a prob then you need to increase ventilation but to properly utilize your light you need to get it closer. I would put a light 3 or 4 feet away for brand new seedlings or clones but not established plants

Here's a few pics I took today - how much closer can they get? - I'm just paranoid of burning them.
First_Grow_11_27_2006_0071.jpg

First_Grow_11_27_2006_005.jpg

The air purifiers not only make a huge difference with air quality, but really gives a great breeze when on HI:
First_Grow_11_27_2006_0061.jpg

I would not put it any closer than 18 inches away from the tops of the plants.
I'll stick w/ this since it hasn't steered me wrong yet! So how tall would you guys begin flowering in this setup?

Akornpatch said:
Well I guess I can relate to that if you're "container" growing as most people do. Then it may be a problem. But if you're using a larger bed like 3'x3' or larger it would be fine to combine multiple plants. Theory is that the roots can develop more naturally without the need to transplant to larger containers to avoid them being root bound. The roots have space to spread out and breath. If one's a male, chop him at the ground and let the root ball compost itself. ???

Some growing methods like the one you are describing is good only for clone only or fem seeds which I personally think suck.( the fem seeds I mean)
Rotting roots can spread infection and can attract pests.
Composting is great when done using a compost pile but not for when you grow in it.

First grow - Sea of Green style
Coolthanksbye
SOG grows are meant for clones because thaey all grow at the same rate and plants from seed crow at different rates.
Your grow is going to get very crowded.
When you goin to flower? You will have to force flower soon bro.

Urdedpal said:
Your grow is going to get very crowded.
When you goin to flower? You will have to force flower soon bro.

I was planning to start flowering when the plants are at about 14-16 inches, with a total of about 48" to grow from pot to light. You guys think I should induce flowering sooner? And at what height? As always all input is appreciated.

I also don't think it will get too crowded; out of the 9 plants, 3 White Widows are all female, and 6 Mandala White Satins are currently unknown, so I assume I'll have 6-7 good females by the end. I'll then choose one of each strain to be the mother. I wish I could take the SOG title off of this thread, as I changed that setup on page 1. BTW Urdedpal, you're cheap ventilation setup that I'm implementing from another thread is awesome.

Attached chains to the light fixture (400W HPS/MH) and lowered to 18" from canopy. Day 34 from seeds germinated on halloween.

First_Grow_-_Day_34_001.jpg

First_Grow_-_Day_34_002.jpg

First_Grow_-_Day_34_003.jpg

First_Grow_-_Day_34_004.jpg

First_Grow_-_Day_34_005.jpg

First_Grow_-_Day_34_003.jpg

Thanks for all the input on my first grow so far. I know it's up to me, but what do you guys think of force flowering when the ladies are a little over a foot tall.

I've got a bottle of Maxicrop Fish (NPK 5-1-1) coming in the mail today. Gonna start feeding at 25% and increase another quarter per week. I'm paranoid about burnin them, so hopefully this will work out.

That sounds like It will work good .Just mix it half strength and water them once with it and then alternate waterings and step it up as needed.If they do get a little nute burn It won't hurt em that bad If anything Its a good indicater of there nute threshold.If the tips burn a little bit just step the feedings back or give em fresh water as long as they are thriving.Judging by your setup I doubt you will have a problem goodluck man:allgood:

I agree. Fish emulsion will not hurt them when they are 34 days old. Also, if you start at half strength there is very little chance of damaging them.

That looks like a very strong light and I think you managed it well and moved it close just at the right time. All your plants are nice and bushy as well as healthy, just don't outgrow your space by flowering too late. :peace:

Judging from the pics, do you guys think I need to replant in larger containers after I remove any males? Currently in 4.4 quart containers.

I always like to re-pot the females into larger pots before flowering. It gives room for the roots to spread out preventing the plant from getting root bound.

So one of my resources (The Cannabis Grow Bible) has a chapter about pruning for yield and how to increase the number of colas, etc. Is this something you all suggest I do on this grow to maximize my yield?

Can't beileve I have missed this grow till now! Looks awesome. I have this same area under stare in our house... Didn't think it looked like enough room. Maybe I will make my flower chamber under there. Thanks and keep up the good work. Take a quick peak at my grow if you want.

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I'm just paranoid to experiment since this is my first time. I could just see myself messin up pruning.... anyways, I think I'm definitely at least gonna try tying them when they're tall enough.

Started feeding yesterday at 50% strength. Using Maxicrop Fish Emulsion:
First_Grow_-_Flower_Nutes.jpg

First_Grow_-_Flower_Nutes.jpg

The plants looked extra happy this morning and it looks like they've grown overnite - I will updat pics in a day or two.

I've done a lot of research and have decided to prune part of this grow to increase yield. Can anyone suggest a video or link w/video that shows how to properly prune - I just don't want to hurt the ladies.

-Everytime you cut part of the plant off, it takes 2 weeks for the plant to repair itself.
-If you cut the plant during flowering the plant will direct the energy it uses for flowering to repairing itself, which will lower your yield.
-More budsites does not mean more weed, just like adding an axle and wheels to your car won't make it go any faster.
Unless you provide extra light, soil, water and nutrients, more budsites mean more but smaller buds than uncut. Same yield by weight.

I would suggest NOT cutting your plant up this grow. I suggest just letting it grow unhindered so you become more familiar with growing weed in general.

^^^Very good advise. IMO pruning=more bud, is just another mj growing myth.

Back
Top Bottom