First grow, spots forming

Rainbowsky

420 Member
Hello and salutations!

This is my first grow and there have been many changes from its expected to actual execution. I have a tent setup in the basement but I cannot get the low temperatures above 50 without a heater, which I'd rather not risk. I've got plans to add baseboard heating but that will only be useful for future grows. The tent is therefore left empty and I've moved the grow to a room upstairs until late spring when I hope to move them into the tent.

The grow has started nicely with healthy leaves, slowly strengthening trunk, the works. Just recently I noticed the top most leaves turning very dark green with some yellow spots forming and a faint browning. All coloring seems to be inside the leaf opposed to its edges.

Information:
Strain: sativa, Citradelic Sunset
#of plants: 2
Stage: vegetative for ~ a month
Indoor grow
Medium: soil, ~ 65/35 Fox Farms Happy Frog and Mother Earth Coco + Perlite
Light: timbergrow 4VL 425W led, 30" away @25%
RH - unknown
Soil ph: 7.5
Pests: unknown
Watering: ~ 2/ week until water just starts to run out the bottom
Pot size: 8" diameter, unknown volume
Fertilizers: none
Room size: ~ 10'x10'
Fan: ceiling fan on medium, produces constant minor movement on leaves

I have several theories and almost every thread I've read seem to both confirm and deny their possibilities, which runs me in circles. So I'm attempting my own post for some feedback.

Thank you!

20220417_095643.jpg

20220416_223926.jpg

20220416_223920.jpg

20220416_223915.jpg

pretty decent on a first try.

i'm not sure where you are at with the soil mix, but it looks a bit hot for a smaller plant. a touch heavy on n. the spots mostly look like water splashes to me, that have then burnt the leaves. it may also need a little calmag, which would be standard under led.

a heater is ok to use so long as your wiring is safe etc. make sure tape over any on/off light it may have. you should get a cheap temp/rh meter so you can keep track of what is happening in the tent.

a couple of the plant leaves look like they are reacting to a lot of wind movement. your ceiling fan may be a bit too ambitious for the size, or the plant may be too close.

is your tent set up with an exhaust fan and carbon filter yet ? if at all possible it's always best to vent to outdoor.

edit : you may want a larger final pot. 5gal is pretty standard. most folk on the board are going with cloth pots.

Thank you for your reply!

One of my thoughts was the fan being a bit too aggressive for their size.

I am only currently without some sensors in the room but the tent has them. 5'x5' tent with carbon filter, 6" exhaust fan, and a temperature/hygrometer reader. It doesn't vent outside the house but i do have a couple windows in that room i could try and work with. They will finish in 7gal smart pots. I wasn't sure when to repot them into that size. A second 4VL light is waiting on the tent as well to fit the wattage per tent dimensions.

We had a house fire two years ago that has since made me very anxious about any potentials. It's a new house with new wiring so I imagine it's as safe as can be, but mentally I'm not sure that I'm ready for heaters without me being there.

Thank you for your reply!

One of my thoughts was the fan being a bit too aggressive for their size.

I am only currently without some sensors in the room but the tent has them. 5'x5' tent with carbon filter, 6" exhaust fan, and a temperature/hygrometer reader. It doesn't vent outside the house but i do have a couple windows in that room i could try and work with. They will finish in 7gal smart pots. I wasn't sure when to repot them into that size. A second 4VL light is waiting on the tent as well to fit the wattage per tent dimensions.

We had a house fire two years ago that has since made me very anxious about any potentials. It's a new house with new wiring so I imagine it's as safe as can be, but mentally I'm not sure that I'm ready for heaters without me being there.

go check out at @Bill284 's fire safety thread. i also am maybe a bit paranoid around electricity. but it's an ingrained learned response. i've had to work with it a bit. i do use a heater in my veg space even when not growing.

the smart pots are a great idea. bill could also help you with that. :)

venting to outside is always your best bet if you can. it generally turns out cheaper, safer to run with less power draw, and easier to control the environment with happier plants. a bit has to do with your local climate. but it is advisable pretty much universally.

Hello and salutations!

This is my first grow and there have been many changes from its expected to actual execution. I have a tent setup in the basement but I cannot get the low temperatures above 50 without a heater, which I'd rather not risk. I've got plans to add baseboard heating but that will only be useful for future grows. The tent is therefore left empty and I've moved the grow to a room upstairs until late spring when I hope to move them into the tent.

The grow has started nicely with healthy leaves, slowly strengthening trunk, the works. Just recently I noticed the top most leaves turning very dark green with some yellow spots forming and a faint browning. All coloring seems to be inside the leaf opposed to its edges.

Information:
Strain: sativa, Citradelic Sunset
#of plants: 2
Stage: vegetative for ~ a month
Indoor grow
Medium: soil, ~ 65/35 Fox Farms Happy Frog and Mother Earth Coco + Perlite
Light: timbergrow 4VL 425W led, 30" away @25%
RH - unknown
Soil ph: 7.5
Pests: unknown
Watering: ~ 2/ week until water just starts to run out the bottom
Pot size: 8" diameter, unknown volume
Fertilizers: none
Room size: ~ 10'x10'
Fan: ceiling fan on medium, produces constant minor movement on leaves

I have several theories and almost every thread I've read seem to both confirm and deny their possibilities, which runs me in circles. So I'm attempting my own post for some feedback.

Thank you!

20220417_095643.jpg

20220416_223926.jpg

20220416_223920.jpg

20220416_223915.jpg
Hey @Rainbowsky Welcome to 420magazine my friend. :welcome:
Do you fish Rainbow season opens Saturday, I've got a river in my backyard if your close.
9k important stuff now.
How much coco did you put in your soil? 10% 20 %???
What ph you feeding at 6.3 ? looks like excess nitrogen, and as I think @bluter :ciao: stated I'd put cal mag in my mix first, then nutrients.
Happy Easter

Stay safe
Bill

Howdy Bill!

Thanks for the welcome and response!

The coco+Perlite ratio is roughly 35%

I haven't added any nutrients yet, perhaps I should start? I have the Fox Farm liquid nutrient trio. The only current nutrients are from the mediums and well water.

From the sounds of it I should get some cal mag and look into how to add it.

Howdy Bill!

Thanks for the welcome and response!

The coco+Perlite ratio is roughly 35%

I haven't added any nutrients yet, perhaps I should start? I have the Fox Farm liquid nutrient trio. The only current nutrients are from the mediums and well water.

From the sounds of it I should get some cal mag and look into how to add it.
Good morning Rainbowsky . :ciao:
When you get a 40 % concentration of coco in your mix it can draw calmag from your lady.
40% and up your close so I'd agg it first to your mix wait 10 minutes thenbadd nutrients. Set ph to 6.3 last.
Here is a chart to help.

Stay safe
Bill

Screenshot_20220121-122247_Chrome.jpg

Welcome @Rainbowsky ! Your plants look like their getting plenty of nutes. Perhaps you've got an overdose of potassium or phosphorous, which is causing a calcium and/or magnesium deficiency.

1650763993430.png

Back
Top Bottom