First Grow! Stealth Stereo Cabinet CFL Bagseed Attempt

man, you should play the lottery :) great score!! I saw those plastic cabs at home depot, and was thinking of doing something like that. I was concerned about how light tight they were, especially were that middle shelf attaches... I can't wait to see yours and hear about it's light-tightness. again, great score. :hookah:

Your cabinet has almost the same dimensions as mine. If you go to my grow journal I have some pics that might give you some ideas of what you can do with this cabinet. I bought mine preassembled. If I knew then what I know now I would started with what you have and saved alot of money!!

man, you should play the lottery :) great score!! I saw those plastic cabs at home depot, and was thinking of doing something like that. I was concerned about how light tight they were, especially were that middle shelf attaches... I can't wait to see yours and hear about it's light-tightness. again, great score. :hookah:

Maybe I should play the lottery... but I just used up all my luck so maybe not.

Funny thing is I asked my buddy where he got the mylar from and he said that he found the cab like this. So from one grower to another to another. :cool:

The plastic isn't light proof since it is just a very opaque clear plastic. I put a few lights inside to see how bad the light leaks were and it is pretty bad but wherever the mylar it is light proof so hopefully I can just re-mylar the entire box and make it nice and light tight. If not a couple coats of spray paint may solve the problem. I just moved out of my apartment for the summer till I move back in mid August so I won't have any more picture updates. I may see if I can coax my friend into posting a few pictures here and there.

I am going to look into some HID lighting with possibly LEDs for this cab over the summer. More research tomorrow, bed time.

Maybe I should play the lottery... but I just used up all my luck so maybe not.
you may be right.. :) but still a great score

Funny thing is I asked my buddy where he got the mylar from and he said that he found the cab like this. So from one grower to another to another. :cool:
my buddies first light was like that, a small (old) sunsystem 100, (100w hps) he got it from a friend who moved to a bigger light, who got it from a friend,,, etc.. he was the 5th owner..lol and he passed it on when he out grew it...:tokin:

The plastic isn't light proof since it is just a very opaque clear plastic. I put a few lights inside to see how bad the light leaks were and it is pretty bad but wherever the mylar it is light proof so hopefully I can just re-mylar the entire box and make it nice and light tight. If not a couple coats of spray paint may solve the problem. I just moved out of my apartment for the summer till I move back in mid August so I won't have any more picture updates. I may see if I can coax my friend into posting a few pictures here and there.

I am going to look into some HID lighting with possibly LEDs for this cab over the summer. More research tomorrow, bed time.

a couple of coats of black paint should do the trick, but the seams where the shelf sits in the middle may leak as well,, maybe some caulking,

I have excellent news! My friend gave me his old grow cab and it is awesome. I will attempt to explain it but pretty toasted so bare with :cool:

It is a little rough around the edges but I will clean it up and make it mine when I get back. What should I clean it with and I plan to salvage the Mylar and reattach. The cabinet is made out of a durable but pretty light weight plastic and is already lined with Mylar. Unfortunately it isn't the nicest job I have seen of Mylar being put up. I can't wait to get to redo and add things. :)

It also has 5" vent holes drilled out in perfect spots and chains to hang a light. The dimensions are roughly 6' tall x 2' wide x 18" deep and I am going to see how light proof it is tomorrow. I may spray paint the whole thing black when I get back from the vacation. Here are a few pics of the cab and the DWC bucket. Also gave me a bit of hydroton and pH chems.

P1020875_Medium_.JPG

Top vent from inside and out.
P1020876_Medium_.JPG

P1020879_Medium_.JPG

Side vent inside and out view.
P1020877_Medium_.JPG

P1020878_Medium_.JPG

And then a few pictures with the DWC tub.
P1020883_Medium_.JPG

P1020884_Medium_.JPG

P1020886_Medium_.JPG

I will put up an update tomorrow before I take my plants to the friend's.

It is 4:20 so I will leave you with a toke. :blunt:

Nice cabinet DJ. Slappy and I built a grow cabinet from something like what you have. Check out what we did with ours in the first link in my signature. May provide some ideas and things to look out for in building out your cabinet.

BTW we clean the inside of our cabinet between grows with a mild solution of water and oxyclean...it works GREAT!

Hey, vacation is going great and my friend says the babies are doing well back home. I have been looking into fixing up that cabinet and was wondering what kind of HPS wattage to get. I think I could get a 250 in there but am leaning towards a 150 watt. It will be remotely ballasted to help keep temps down. Also looking into what kind of fan to use for exhaust with a carbon scrubber.

Herb Zen: I am thinking of putting a lip on one of the doors so it has to close first and the other will overlap causing it to be light proof. Sort of like car doors that open towards each other.

Lil Neutrino: Glad to hear you have your internet back!

SkooterClowns: Nice cab, definitely gave me a few ideas. Thanks :)

I have a few pictures of the cab with some lights on inside of it I took before I left. But, I don't know what program I should use to resize the photos. I had a program on my desktop that ran XP I thought I downloaded from a link on this site but can't seem to find it. My laptop runs windows 7 so not sure if it would even work.

Picked up a quarter of some crumbly but potent and delicious CO dank. Plan to roll some blunts in the coming week.
:blunt:

I'm liking your cab setup. At least it's setup for a grower.

Yeah definitely set up for a grower, my friend used it as is but he lived in a house and didn't have to keep it stealth. I still don't know if a 250 watt would be too much heat and if I would be better off with a 150. The 150 is also a lot cheaper :)

I guess I can always upgrade if I find it isn't enough, and I also plan on adding some side lighting with all these CFLs I have laying around still.

Well I finally was able to get an image resizing program for my laptop so I can put up a few pictures I took the day before I left.

I put my light setup inside of the cabinet and turned it on to see how bad the light leaks were, and boy are they large.

front view:
P1020896_Medium_.JPG

side view:
P1020900_Medium_.JPG

I figure it will cover well if I get the mylar to stick to the plastic and maybe throw on some spray paint. It seems to be blacked out well wherever the mylar is as long as the light doesnt shine beneath it.

:blunt:

a couple of leaks,, hehe

so, you got a little work to do,, lol, I think with a good application of mylar on the inside, then a good coat of black paint on the outsode, and you should be good..

hope you are enjoying your vacation

Oh my vacation is a blast, I took a 5 hour hike I originally thought would be 2 hours today. Smoked a blunt on the mountain though :blunt:

I am itching to get to see my plants and start customizing this cabinet. I guess the good thing is I have been able to research the crap out of lighting and have found the 150 watt HPS I will be buying. Only bummer is I am not online as much, but I guess that is what vacation is for :)

Oh my vacation is a blast, I took a 5 hour hike I originally thought would be 2 hours today. Smoked a blunt on the mountain though :blunt:
being in nature with nature is sooo nice :blunt:

I am itching to get to see my plants and start customizing this cabinet. I guess the good thing is I have been able to research the crap out of lighting and have found the 150 watt HPS I will be buying. Only bummer is I am not online as much, but I guess that is what vacation is for :)

cool,, enjoy your vacation, there will be time for building when you get back :hookah:

So I think I received the best news I've had all summer! My friend that is plant-sitting for me sent a picture of Xena with what look like hairs! She must have had them for awhile because they look like they have been on there for awhile (pistils turned yellow). Now I know the quality is pretty terrible, it was taken with a phone. I will try and get some better pictures hopefully. Without further delay, here she is.

p_00237_Medium_.jpg

I also found a pretty awesome key chain while walking around different shops in CO. Here is a picture, I figured it was appropriate. :grinjoint:

p_00209_Medium_.jpg

2 more weeks and I should be home, with this new discovery of pistils I plan to take some clones and then i will probably flower Xena in my cab after I throw my improvements in it. :blunt:

cool.. hope you are enjoying the summer....

not to be a spoiler or anything,, but I am reserving judgement on those 'pistils'...

you are still in veg, and it seems to look an awful lot like a small 3-blade leaf that yellowed up.. but I could be wrong (I hope I am)

and it could just be a bad pic, and my not so good eyes.. (which is what I am hoping...)

:goodluck:

Well from what I remember I had pulled off the bottom fan leaves (single, triple x2) so there were just little nubs where the leaves were. That should be where a calyx with pistils should form for preflowers i would hope. I just assume my friend never knew what to look for and never noticed the pistils when they were white. Xena should have been in veg long enough to see preflowers 3 weeks or so ago. I am hoping, maybe a few more people can chime in and I will see if I can get a better quality pic from my friend.

[edit]
Herb Zen, you got me second guessing myself now haha. I just smoked so that isn't helping. :blunt:
Now I have my fingers crossed too.

sorry,,, didn't mean to get you second guessing.... I hope I am wrong,,

just not the best pic,, and for me it is hard to tell.. hopefully we can get a better pic.. :) kepping my fingers crossed...

Thanks HZ,

Well my friend went camping so not going to get another picture till at least tomorrow. I think it is a girl too :) I still have Ayasha un-sexed, I wonder if she has grown much or is still a little runt. Hopefully an update tomorrow, time to read up on breeding ;)

Back
Top Bottom