First Photo Grow, No More Runt Autoflowers!

Brudley

I’ve been growing autoflower plants for the last couple of years with mixed results. It can be very frustrating to go through all the effort and expense to end up with a runt with no yield! Daddy needs his medicine,… in bulk!

Here is current example of Bruce Banner autoflower wasting a 5 gallon pot with $25 living soil in the bottom.

This is why I,ve decided to start mixing in some photo plants that I can train to fill my space.

1C1533F2-E388-4603-84A6-D7ABACCE9464.png

I’ve been growing autoflower plants for the last couple of years with mixed results. It can be very frustrating to go through all the effort and expense to end up with a runt with no yield! Daddy needs his medicine,… in bulk!

Here is current example of Bruce Banner autoflower wasting a 5 gallon pot with $25 living soil in the bottom.

This is why I,ve decided to start mixing in some photo plants that I can train to fill my space.

1C1533F2-E388-4603-84A6-D7ABACCE9464.png
Hello @Brudley hope you are well my friend.
Is that an auto grown in a peat puck?
You have to bury them.
Could that be part of the problem?

Stay safe
Bill

Hello @Brudley hope you are well my friend.
Is that an auto grown in a peat puck?
You have to bury them.
Could that be part of the problem?

Stay safe
Bill
Something I tried once, probably never again. The bottom of the pucks netting is cut off to allow the tap root more room below. Similar thought process as cutting the bottom of a solo cup off and bury is halfway which I’ve seen people do. I had another BruceBanner that looked the same so not surprised. I’ve had the same issue repeatedly with various breeders. The autoflower genetics are just too unpredictable. I really hate it when the Ruderalis genes come out and end up with a crap plant. I’ve actually pulled one or two that did this. I can use the extra time on the photos to make up for any slow downs. I might even take some clones, we will see. Thanks for tuning in, feedback is appreciated and welcomed! Thanks growmie!

Hi! Sorry to hear you have had bad runs with autos! I love my auto girls. I run both cause I like to mix it up and cause myself my work lol

There's gotta be an issue we can find that is causing the runting, maybe what Bill eluded to? I have yet to have a runt auto and I run them often.

Excited for you to drop a big girl, though!

Something I tried once, probably never again. The bottom of the pucks netting is cut off to allow the tap root more room below. Similar thought process as cutting the bottom of a solo cup off and bury is halfway which I’ve seen people do. I had another BruceBanner that looked the same so not surprised. I’ve had the same issue repeatedly with various breeders. The autoflower genetics are just too unpredictable. I really hate it when the Ruderalis genes come out and end up with a crap plant. I’ve actually pulled one or two that did this. I can use the extra time on the photos to make up for any slow downs. I might even take some clones, we will see. Thanks for tuning in, feedback is appreciated and welcomed! Thanks growmie!
If you want volume photos are your gateway my friend.
We can help you get a stellar harvest.
You just need 12 hrs of complete darkness.
As long as you can provide that you can grow great girls.
Anytime you need anything I'm available. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill

Hi! Sorry to hear you have had bad runs with autos! I love my auto girls. I run both cause I like to mix it up and cause myself my work lol

There's gotta be an issue we can find that is causing the runting, maybe what Bill eluded to? I have yet to have a runt auto and I run them often.

Excited for you to drop a big girl, though!
where do you get your auto seeds, or what breeder do you use. I do keep experimenting looking for the holy grail of course, so I blame at least some of my runts on my own mistakes, but the ruderalis genes seem uncontrollable. I do still have more auto seeds I will running. I have a room full now! I like playing with them too. The short harvest time allows you to start over quicker. lol Thanks for hanging.

I'm technically working right now, shh don't tell my boss. I'll be doing a more complete write up later with soil details etc. I'm actually trying something else a little different with some soil I bought at Lowes. I hate having to keep ordering soil from Amazon. I do have quite a bit of organic soil in use that I'm recycling, but for this new run of photos I'm using the Miracle Grow Organic mix. Go ahead and let me have it on the soil, I have some roots organics on the way as well that I will probably use for one plant. I have some 1 gallon fabric pots with velcro coming to allow for an up pot from solo cup before putting them into final 5 gallon pot. I already have 3 seedlings up, more details and pictures later. Its freaking snowing in NC right now which is hilarious, it was 70 degrees yesterday!

I've grown probably a dozen autos in the last couple years, all but one indoors. I've only ever had one that I thought bloomed early (3-4 weeks), and I still got 30 grams off it. All the others would veg for 5-6 weeks and then go into flower. Averaging about 2-3 oz.plant.I will say that with photos you do have more options on size (vegging) before flipping to flower. Just remember to account for stretch if you have any height concerns in your tent. BTW, what kind/size lights are you using, and what's your tent size? Below are autos I have going right now, they are about 4 weeks into flower. They are about 40 inches tall from soil level and about three feet wide ea. You can see the RH/Temp meter hanging in the first picture, I find you get more accurate reading having at plant level. I get my seeds from a company that the mods don't want me to mention, (apparently there was a falling out between 420 and the company), but it begins with an S and ends with an N. But there are plenty of reputable seed suppliers, check the sponsors page.

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2149 (1).JPG

I'm technically working right now, shh don't tell my boss. I'll be doing a more complete write up later with soil details etc. I'm actually trying something else a little different with some soil I bought at Lowes. I hate having to keep ordering soil from Amazon. I do have quite a bit of organic soil in use that I'm recycling, but for this new run of photos I'm using the Miracle Grow Organic mix. Go ahead and let me have it on the soil, I have some roots organics on the way as well that I will probably use for one plant. I have some 1 gallon fabric pots with velcro coming to allow for an up pot from solo cup before putting them into final 5 gallon pot. I already have 3 seedlings up, more details and pictures later. Its freaking snowing in NC right now which is hilarious, it was 70 degrees yesterday!
Same here buddy, I'm in NJ!! 64 yesterday 17 tonight lmao

I'm a FFOF girl and I add in earthworm castings bat guano epsom salt and cane sugar

My most recent auto was 5.25 oz. I've never had one less than 2.85 and that was under a less strong light. Been cruising at 3.5 and 4.5 ounces since my upgrade. It's certainly doable as Phyto said.

How can we help with this photo journey what else do you want to know. Answering those questions he just gave you will help us navigate for sure

where do you get your auto seeds, or what breeder do you use. I do keep experimenting looking for the holy grail of course, so I blame at least some of my runts on my own mistakes, but the ruderalis genes seem uncontrollable. I do still have more auto seeds I will running. I have a room full now! I like playing with them too. The short harvest time allows you to start over quicker. lol Thanks for hanging.
I'm always hanging, you're quite welcome. I have a super soft spot for autos so to hear that you were giving up made my little green heart blue lol

I have had very good luck with i49 although not a sponsor here...however, @Weed Seeds Express is proving to be a stellar bank as well. I've linked up with Kannabia, an extention of CannaPot and although I haven't dropped it yet (less than 2 weeks!) I have only heard good things!

Here is the line up. All seeds were sprouted in a wet paper towel in a Tupperware container which has been working fabulously. Just about 100% success unless there is an issue with the seed.
Once sprouted I am transplanting into a clear solo cup with another blue one covering (so I can see the root development) The cup has the Performance Organics mix (I added a lot of perlite) with a small area in the center with Jiffy seeding mix to place the sprout.

First up with have Acapulco Gold #1 from Barney's Farm which came up yesterday and is looking good.
I germinated a Amnesia Lemon from Barney's Farm as well which has not sprouted, may be a bad seed. I threw it into a 24 peroxide soak to see if it would help which doesn't appear to, ... bad seed. dropping another today.

1641245279452.png

Next up is Blue Monster #1 which was a freebie seed from North Atlantic Seed Co.

1641245428331.png

Next is another freebie Blue Cheese Photo which has sprouted but not up in cup yet. I'm going to drop another Lemon Haze seed.

I got 4 new 5 gallon Rain Science grow bags today which is the final home for these girls. I have a confined space so need to keep them smaller, which is why I was growing autos to start with. Getting ready to go into the room and take a few more pictures of my current setup.....

Here is the line up. All seeds were sprouted in a wet paper towel in a Tupperware container which has been working fabulously. Just about 100% success unless there is an issue with the seed.
Once sprouted I am transplanting into a clear solo cup with another blue one covering (so I can see the root development) The cup has the Performance Organics mix (I added a lot of perlite) with a small area in the center with Jiffy seeding mix to place the sprout.

First up with have Acapulco Gold #1 from Barney's Farm which came up yesterday and is looking good.
I germinated a Amnesia Lemon from Barney's Farm as well which has not sprouted, may be a bad seed. I threw it into a 24 peroxide soak to see if it would help which doesn't appear to, ... bad seed. dropping another today.

1641245279452.png

Next up is Blue Monster #1 which was a freebie seed from North Atlantic Seed Co.

1641245428331.png

Next is another freebie Blue Cheese Photo which has sprouted but not up in cup yet. I'm going to drop another Lemon Haze seed.

I got 4 new 5 gallon Rain Science grow bags today which is the final home for these girls. I have a confined space so need to keep them smaller, which is why I was growing autos to start with. Getting ready to go into the room and take a few more pictures of my current setup.....
Got an AG photo now and ran 4 BC autos so far . Curious about your Blue Monster #1

Here are a couple shots of my setup, all the details of the lights etc are in my 420 Thread Newbie. Basically have two Sonofarm SF2000 lights each easily providing 900 umols to the canopy. Once I get some taller plants going they will get even more in my limited space. I plan to keep these girls in the nursery until even after I transplant to 1gal pots. As room frees up in my main room I will move them over. The nursery light is giving me about 500-600 umols as close as it is.

1641247751940.png

1641247785134.png

My plan is to use Performance Organics in 2 or 3, but may try this new Roots Organic I've got on the way. I currently have the Performance Organics in bins drying out a little (was so wet from Lowes), I added a lot of perlite. Once I get ready to pot it up I plan to layer some Dr Earth Flower Girl in the bottom, and mix in some worm castings in the middle.
I've already added some Great White to the seedlings one I put them in the solo cup to get the the mycorrhizae going.

and we are off to the races ...

Here are a couple shots of my setup, all the details of the lights etc are in my 420 Thread Newbie. Basically have two Sonofarm SF2000 lights each easily providing 900 umols to the canopy. Once I get some taller plants going they will get even more in my limited space. I plan to keep these girls in the nursery until even after I transplant to 1gal pots. As room frees up in my main room I will move them over. The nursery light is giving me about 500-600 umols as close as it is.

1641247751940.png

1641247785134.png
just look at all the wasted space with the autoflowers going. I've had a couple of BlueDream Autos plants filler up and that was before I upgraded my lights. I have a couple BlueDreams in the mix now, will see if they can show up.

1641248312049.png

I did have the room full at one point, and again with my older shit lights. The larger plants are BlueDream and then I have about 150 seeds from a Amnesia Haze & I think a Blue Berry that hooked up. These seeds have turned out some nice big plants, but varies from plant to plant.
1641248797386.png

That's Carolina born and bred

Back
Top Bottom