First plants need help!

ellebelle

420 Member
These are my first ever plants. Any tips/ideas if Male or Female?
16835033763921914706622458895402.jpg

16835032970393613378986676802393.jpg

Hey Elle and welcome to the forum! :ciao:

Beautiful plants... good job. If they are females, they should show their sex soon. Keep an eye on the upper nodes on the main stem... females show two little stigmas (white hairs) coming out of bracts on either side of the node...

Female - two stigmas appearing out of the bract (right side of node only in this case).
blueberry_indicates-jpg.2635701

Male... something that looks like a tiny bud, and no stigmas coming out.
gmg_sexing1-jpg.2635702

Hi @ellebelle! Your plants look healthy, beautiful job. They will not show gender until about two weeks after they receive 12+ hours of darkness each 24 hours. If you see droopy leaves, the cause might be too much water. How often have you watered? Overwatering is a common mistake. It's also easy to correct! :)

These are my first ever plants. Any tips/ideas if Male or Female?
16835033763921914706622458895402.jpg

16835032970393613378986676802393.jpg
Great garden. :thumb:
Welcome to 420Magazine. :welcome::ciao::high-five:
Give them a little longer.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

They will not show gender until about two weeks after they receive 12+ hours of darkness each 24 hours.
I don't think showing gender is related to the photoperiod. The pics I posted above were taken in my veg house, which is on night interruption lighting, which essentially mimics a short night length. Those pics were of an equatorial sativa, and even the males were photosensitive!

Can please you tell me what the best approach is with lighting? I do have a small indoor grow light. Someone told me to keep the plants separate from eachother so they are in different rooms
You can keep your girls together, if they are girls.
Boys get dumped, or a separate room.
We have great sponsors that will give you a discount on lights.
I use @VIVOSUN exclusively.
What size is your foot print?
I can make a suggestion.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

You have 2 plants, yeah? What is the wattage on the light you are using? Is it LED?

What Bill said. It's OK to grow as many plants together as is practical for your setup. Most indoor growers use grow tents. The only reason to keep a male is if you're interested collecting pollen for breeding. Otherwise, chop and into the compost. Some people are into juicing cannabis leaves.

Welcome Ellebelle as Bill said check out our sponsors for all your grow needs and your plants look very good. As far as keeping them together I have 5 seedlings and they stay together all the time till they get too big. I grow outdoors and even after they are in their final grow pots, they will stay next to each other providing they are all females.

I don't think showing gender is related to the photoperiod.
@ellebelle asked what gender her plants have and of course it's too early to say. Gender is not caused by the photoperiod. But there is a "relation" to flowering, which is caused by shortening day length.

A mature cannabis plant is either male or female or hermaphrodite. Most of us find out what gender a plant from seed is when it pre-flowers and then goes into flowering. With plants from regular seed, male and/or female flowering will not occur until the dark period is longer than the daylength. And so regular seed produces "photoperiod" plants (as opposed to "autoflowering" plants, which flower regardless of the day length). Feminized seed usually produces all female, but not always. Clones usually grow into the same gender of plant as the plant it was cut from.

It seems @ellebelle's plants are from regular seed, hence her question about their gender.

not entirely true - plants can and will show gender without a flip.

generally speaking cuz every plant is unique… but for most photoperiod strains once you grow past 5 to 7 pairs of even nodes, the plant will grow out staggered nodes. This is considered to be the start of sexual maturity. It doesn’t happen right away you’ve got to veg shim out for a minute to see what the plant will reveal. But by examining the growth structure at the nodes you can see either tiny calyx with 2 hairs for female or the male naughty bits appear to be more raised up on a stem.

One of my recent wedding cake plants went to like 12 pairs of even nodes before it switched to staggered nodes and even then it took forever to degermine gender because that strain cross just didn’t have much in the way of naughty bits. I could see a tiny bit of structure at the nodes and even with wifi microscope was still unsure on whether it was male or female. Eventually it revealed as female and turned out great.

Fastest way to sex them when starting from seed… sexing can be done in about 33ish days. As soon as seedling pops above ground run 12/12 for first 10 days, then on day 11 bump to 18/6 light schedule.

What happens is for the first 10 days the seedling thinks it’s going in to flower, so it makes slight hormone changes in preparation for that… but by bumping up light hours to 18/6 on day 11 it’s enough to convince the plant that it’s on the right track and theres no need to flower at this time. The end result is the plant reveals its gender.…

above is for photos cuz we know an auto will flower under any light schedule…

welcome aboard ellebelle!!!

Can please you tell me what the best approach is with lighting? I do have a small indoor grow light. Someone told me to keep the plants separate from eachother so they are in different rooms
@ViparSpectra has a great new light for smaller grows. The XS-1500 and is on sale now. CL🍀

...for most photoperiod strains once you grow past 5 to 7 pairs of even nodes, the plant will grow out staggered nodes. This is considered to be the start of sexual maturity. ... But by examining the growth structure at the nodes you can see either tiny calyx with 2 hairs for female...
@Emeraldo, what 013 says is true. I grow outdoors in greenhouses here in Hawaii. My plants in the veg house are under night interruption lighting, to control flowering. Whether I am growing feminized or regular seed, the females will show their sex in the veg house, just as 013 says. I don't have much experience with the males, but that last batch took a bit longer than the females to show sex, and these were photosensitive equatorial sativas.

@ellebelle asked what gender her plants have and of course it's too early to say. Gender is not caused by the photoperiod. But there is a "relation" to flowering, which is caused by shortening day length.
Showing gender is neither related to, nor caused by the photoperiod – they will show gender regardless of night length. I'm not saying that every single cannabis strain will do that, but it has been my experience so far. The plants don't need to be going into the flowering phase in order to show their sex.

A mature cannabis plant is either male or female or hermaphrodite. Most of us find out what gender a plant from seed is when it pre-flowers and then goes into flowering. With plants from regular seed, male and/or female flowering will not occur until the dark period is longer than the daylength. And so regular seed produces "photoperiod" plants (as opposed to "autoflowering" plants, which flower regardless of the day length). Feminized seed usually produces all female, but not always. Clones usually grow into the same gender of plant as the plant it was cut from.

It seems @ellebelle's plants are from regular seed, hence her question about their gender.
I think a lot of indoor growers maybe flip their light schedule before the plants indicate sex? Hence the illusion that it has something to do with the flip?

Most female cannabis plants will start to flower when the night length is around 10.5 hours. Most growers will use 12 hours just to be on the safe side. Here is Hawaii, our night length never gets below 10.7 hours – one reason I use the night interruption lighting.

Pre-flowering refers to the bracts that are at the nodes, usually higher up on the plant, and occurs around week 4 in veg.

Both photoperiod plants and autoflowering plants can be grown from either feminized seed or regular seed. Regular seed produces both males and females; however, the chances of getting both diminishes with the fewer number of seeds you grow.

Clones of female plants grow female plants – exact genetic copies. Clones of male plants are possible, but there's really no advantage to making clones of males, unless they are photosensitive sativas. I actually did that recently and it worked... clones of an equitorial sativa male that was kept in veg due to my photoperiod lighting. That's useful, because you can then flower the male whenever you want, as part of a breeding project.

not entirely true - plants can and will show gender without a flip.
Showing gender is neither related to, nor caused by the photoperiod – they will show gender regardless of night length. I'm not saying that every single cannabis strain will do that, but it has been my experience so far. The plants don't need to be going into the flowering phase in order to show their sex.

@013 @cbdhemp808 I have no real dispute with you. But you left @ellebelle's question unanswered.

When the plants are mature, say about 6 or 8 weeks old, gender is usually set. That does not depend on the length of daylight. Gender will show then in subtle tell-tale ways (e.g., a pre-flower) and in the plant's growth patterns going forward in various ways, and in flowering. Gender will show at the nodes, and as noted the staggered nodes are a sign of a mature plant. Gender, photoperiod response, flowering -- these are all interrelated within the plant. You say no they're not. I have to differ with you there.

While I am not disputing your experience or opinions, this discussion suffers from miscommunication owing to the words we growers use to describe how the plants develop. For example, "photoperiod" can refer to a plant that is not an autoflowering strain. "Photoperiod" also can refer to the day length. I can also refer to the period of time the plants get light on any particular day. All are correct as a matter of fact. When you say gender is not related to or caused by photoperiod, I have to ask myself what it is you are trying to say.

@ellebelle asked when her plants will show gender, male or female, and I hope she got a non-confusing answer to her question in here somewhere. Cheers and enjoy your grows!

Back
Top Bottom