First Time Grower: Help Making Sure Everything Makes Sense! Detailed

Thank you @The Celt, its actually relieving to read that. I appreciate you sharing that knowledge.

Wow, I thought the issues with mold were inside the tent. It makes sense that it can easily happen where the exhaust is blowing! Damn that is a big problem for me, because my condo only has 2 windows and they're by the kitchen, so there is no way i can move it there... wifey would kill me.

I will research what preventative measures I can take, or what other options I have. Really thankful for all the support I'm receiving

You can actually run a long tube of ducting to exhaust outside via a window. I find what works best is to use a larger then needed fan and buy some reducers. Mine goes quite a ways and has many turns before it gets to the window. I have an 8 inch fan reduced to a 4 inch duct and have the fan turned down... using a larger fan helps with the extra bit of torque (IMO).

Just woke my ladies up from their 6hr nap, and I noticed this yellowing on the tip. Only two little spots, but still... I suspect the light may have been to close, so I've raised it a little. I dont see what else could have caused this at this stage.

It could also be wind burn? I bought the hurricane fan and later realized it does not oscillate, so im baffled that this is such a commonly recommended fan, if oscillating is so important? kind of contradicting. Anyways, I tried to point the fan away enough, i didn't even see the leaves or stem moving from the wind generated by the fan, so i figured it was fine. Just pointed it even further away incase.

Not sure how I could tell if its light being too close or wind burn

Attachments

• 20200930_201013.jpg
    20200930_201013.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 31
Yes could be wind burn could be nutes or light. Keep fan on lowest setting - point away from your baby, aim at side wall. Main reason for fan is temp control & air exchange but also to make it difficult so pests can’t live, mate or lay eggs on your plant & soil.... but you’ve got to get her up and running too. For now indirect air is best.

Just for curiosity how big is that fan in diameter?

Might need a small personal fan like 4 or 8 inch desktop fan or clip on type aimed kinda indirect on low setting. Seems most folks have several varieties beside inline exhaust fan. I don’t run ducted exhaust fan but I’ve got about 8 fans of differing sizes for 3 grow areas to give an idea

Yes could be wind burn could be nutes or light. Keep fan on lowest setting - point away from your baby, aim at side wall. Main reason for fan is temp control & air exchange but also to make it difficult so pests can’t live, mate or lay eggs on your plant & soil.... but you’ve got to get her up and running too. For now indirect air is best.

Just for curiosity how big is that fan in diameter?

Might need a small personal fan like 4 or 8 inch desktop fan or clip on type aimed kinda indirect on low setting. Seems most folks have several varieties beside inline exhaust fan
Thanks for constantly keeping up mate, so kind of you!

I have a 6" hurricane clip on fan and I have a standard table fan thats like 16", just for the meantime to keep the temperature down - until winter comes and its colder. Plants will need more room later on. My tent does not have an inline fan slot at the bottom, so I can only do passive intake. Seems to be working out with the current temperatures in my city now.

Hoping to see some encouraging signs from them in the next few days, dont like to see them already burning up

My pleasure! Ok so the hurricane is 6 inch that’s good! I was afraid it was a 22 inch & your tent was bulging from air pressure! My tent has both round & square intakes at bottom but I put 6 inch fan in bottom of tent at big vent to suck cool air in and have an 8 inch up top strapped in place with a wide rubber bungee to push the hot air out.

We have all lost beans, seedlings & plants, if you keep growing you will too.... sucks, but it’s no biggie!

My pleasure! Ok so the hurricane is 6 inch that’s good! I was afraid it was a 22 inch & your tent was bulging from air pressure! My tent has both round & square intakes at bottom but I put 6 inch fan in bottom of tent at big vent to suck cool air in and have an 8 inch up top strapped in place with a wide rubber bungee to push the hot air out.

We have all lost beans, seedlings & plants, if you keep growing you will too.... sucks, but it’s no biggie!
Awesome! I was considering putting one up top to exhaust as well, but I think im fine now!

Crossing fingers

So the browning is spreading and I have no idea why. I havent watered the plant for over 24hrs, the soil isn't dry yet, the temperature and humidity are perfect (24C° and 60% RH), and there is no direct wind hitting them from the fan. The light is also at the suggested distance, no excessive heat reaching the plant and the plant isn't stretching either.... No nutrients added and its in a fluffy light starter mix for seedlings...

It seems like everything is optimal but my plant is making no progress at all, only getting worse. Only thing I can think of is that i overwatered it at one point and its not showing until now?

I dont really mind if it dies, but I do mind if it dies and I have no idea why. I'd like to learn from this, but there is so much ambiguity.

Attachments

• 20201002_094417.jpg
    20201002_094417.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 34
What is in dutch treat.
Its just a seedling mix, but doesnt say what is in it. It was recommended to me by the guy at the hydroponic store, he recommended it over happy frog

Attachments

• 16016588685701445435472414395484.jpg
    16016588685701445435472414395484.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 27
"Contains an initial fertilizer charge.". You should be able to google it. I'd guess it's yoursoil, or your light is too strong.

Could also be lack of air. You put cling film over the pots? Any ventilation?

"Contains an initial fertilizer charge.". You should be able to google it. I'd guess it's yoursoil, or your light is too strong.

Could also be lack of air. You put cling film over the pots? Any ventilation?
I've been trying to find something conclusive, but there is hardly anything on the internet regarding this starter mix. The only information I found is " peat moss, pumice, and other organic materials". I am using 1000W LED, but it's an actual 200W. I have two of these lamps for a total of 400 actual Watts, but only have 1 running for the seedlings.

I did put cling film over them for the first two days because the humidity was very low and I didn't have a humidifier, however I have been using a humidifier without cling flim for over 3 days now - and the issue only started happening about 2 days ago.

I have two flaps open in the bottom for passive intake, and two fans inside blowing air upwards so that the exhaust can expel it. When I close the two flaps at the bottom (for the 6 hrs of night), there is a bit of negative pressure in my tent - which appears to be a good thing.

I'm going to go until tomorrow without watering them, allowing them 48 hrs. At this point, this is the only thing I have left to try that is "different". I've already adjusted the height of the light a couple of times, switched the orientation and location of the fans, added a humidifier that maintains 60% RH, and have also played with different settings for the exhaust fan (between max & min). Only thing left to do is change the watering regime or soil, and since I can't change soil right now - this is the last bullet I have left in the chamber.

Lol. How far is the light from the plant? Where was it before you moved it. The cause of the reaction may have been from 3 days ago. Most instructions I've seen recommend 3 feet. Assuming you didn't burn them or starve them of air with the cling film it's probably the soil. My own experience with time released fertilizer was problems during veg.

The seedling stage is when the plant is the most vulnerable. They need very little, so a jolt from fertiliser or a too strong light can be fatal.

Lol. How far is the light from the plant? Where was it before you moved it. The cause of the reaction may have been from 3 days ago. Most instructions I've seen recommend 3 feet. Assuming you didn't burn them or starve them of air with the cling film it's probably the soil. My own experience with time released fertilizer was problems during veg.

The seedling stage is when the plant is the most vulnerable. They need very little, so a jolt from fertiliser or a too strong light can be fatal.
The light was closer than it should have been... I had it at the manufacturer's guideline and my buddy suggested to lower them & I stupidly listened. I think it was the light, like I am almost certain. I've increased from around 24" to 36". Not sure if it's too late now! At least I learned to trust the research and myself moving forward.... and to keep the light far away enough.

Thank you for helping me :) And for looking into this seemingly mysterious soil

The light was closer than it should have been... I had it at the manufacturer's guideline and my buddy suggested to lower them & I stupidly listened. I think it was the light, like I am almost certain. I've increased from around 24" to 36". Not sure if it's too late now! At least I learned to trust the research and myself moving forward.... and to keep the light far away enough.

Thank you for helping me :) And for looking into this seemingly mysterious soil
You're welcome. I'm an occasional indoor grower, so it's a hobby for me. Germinate a couple more seeds. In 10 days you'll be back in the ballgame. I'd look at a different potting soil. Something neutral (avoid time released fertilizers). I use canna Terra pro plus. It's easy to deal with. There are a any number of potting soil brands to choose from. Use their nutes. No reason to complicate things. Don't be frustrated. Save that for when you really screw up.

Do you have an exhaust fan in your bathroom? One over your stove? A dryer vent? All of these can be used to vent your tent. Adding in the humidifier would really crank that chance of mold up in both the tent and apartment because you'll have spores everywhere just looking for the best real estate. Nice journaling, precise. Welcome and GG

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. My ladies aren't looking too good, but the interesting part is that they're still alive - which makes me wonder what's going on under the dirt... They have not grown for nearly a week, and although they did deteriorate (because of the light), the stem is standing straight up and shows no signs of weakening. The leaves aren't looking great though. Ive included pictures and was curious to know if you guys think there is any chance for survival?

I put 2 new seeds to germinate, but this time I will plant them in solo cups to make watering a bit more easy to predict than a bigger pot.

@SoGnotSOG321 I do have vents in the bathroom and kitchen but they are far away enough that I doubt they would have any meaningful impact. I am venting my tent with 150CFM exhaust fan which seems to be doing fine. In terms of molding/spores, are there any early signs I can look out for? I don't feel any moisture sticking to the side walls of the tent, as I have a fan directly blowing where the humidifier extracts the mist, to disperse the mist before it gets to pool on the ground/side walls of the tent. Once the humidifier mists, the fan blows the mist and seemingly fully dissipates it. Obviously only time will tell, but if I can see early signs of molding that will tell me to stop humidifying - that would also help.

Attachments

• Snapchat-917717576.jpg
    Snapchat-917717576.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Snapchat-2134655119.jpg
    Snapchat-2134655119.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Snapchat-224257963.jpg
    Snapchat-224257963.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Snapchat-1117999076.jpg
    Snapchat-1117999076.jpg