First Time Grower: Help Making Sure Everything Makes Sense! Detailed

If I grow for the next decade I still won’t have eagle eye like this one does ^^^ seriously how does she do it??.... years of hands on - thats how! Emilya took half a glance and the plant wiz Rolodex didn’t even have to spin for that one.

:bravo:

When I said above it should grow out fine.... of course I mean with successive upcans as is considered proper technique for photoperiods in soil such as you have and just as Emilya is describing. I could be wrong but that looks like 2 gallons and yes to jump to flower you need a big honking container of soil. Whether plastic pots or fabric grow bags but 10 gallons is good starting point, you can grow in 5 gallons but that’s not a lot of space for roots to work in, but you may have tent size limits and I’m too busy or too lazy to read back that far.... anyway you will figure it out I’m sure!!!

I try to make my last upcan into either a 12 gallon, a 16 gallon or the 30 gallon plastic trash can that’s 3/4ths full but that’s me and I’ve got 9 foot ceilings but haven’t needed the height yet... working to get there still

Your problem appears to have nothing to do with the nutrients you are using or your soil. Your plant has every indication of being root bound and needing to move to a larger container.
Glad to see you here Emilya. Your input is highly respected, so without question I will go ahead and transplant today. I will have the soil moist before transplanting.

Root bound was something I mentioned on Thursday, but we weren't sure then.... so I was onto something! Good to know.

Will update once I transplant!

If I grow for the next decade I still won’t have eagle eye like this one does ^^^ seriously how does she do it??.... years of hands on - thats how! Emilya took half a glance and the plant wiz Rolodex didn’t even have to spin for that one.

:bravo:

When I said above it should grow out fine.... of course I mean with successive upcans as is considered proper technique for photoperiods in soil such as you have and just as Emilya is describing. I could be wrong but that looks like 2 gallons and yes to jump to flower you need a big honking container of soil. Whether plastic pots or fabric grow bags but 10 gallons is good starting point, you can grow in 5 gallons but that’s not a lot of space for roots to work in, but you may have tent size limits and I’m too busy or too lazy to read back that far.... anyway you will figure it out I’m sure!!!

I try to make my last upcan into either a 12 gallon, a 16 gallon or the 30 gallon plastic trash can that’s 3/4ths full but that’s me and I’ve got 9 foot ceilings but haven’t needed the height yet... working to get there still
Hehehe, I am very appreciative to have the support of seasoned growers like Emilya and learning growers like yourself :)

Seriously? I thought 5 gallons would be enough! You're killing me 013! haha. My tent is 6ft tall and my lamps are supposed to be 12-24" away from the plant during flowering. I would need at least 1-2" to hang my lights, so we're looking at at least 14-26" from plant.... With this in mind, my lady will have to be a dwarf reaching a maximum height of about 4" 10" - maybe even lower if light intensity is too high. I'll look into this :) Thanks for stopping by

Glad to see you here Emilya. Your input is highly respected, so without question I will go ahead and transplant today. I will have the soil moist before transplanting.

Root bound was something I mentioned on Thursday, but we weren't sure then.... so I was onto something! Good to know.

Will update once I transplant!
moist soil is ok, but the real trick to making this work right is to saturate the new container once the transplant has been done, so as to merge the old and new soil regions.

Seriously? I thought 5 gallons would be enough!
It just depends on what you need out of your plants. Smaller containers will give you smaller yields, but you can get more of them in a given grow space. Size and number of plants is a balancing game depending on your space and your lights... there are no right or wrong ways to manage it. I have seen people use 1 gallon or even 1 liter containers using hempy, to go all the way through bloom to harvest.

It just depends on what you need out of your plants. Smaller containers will give you smaller yields, but you can get more of them in a given grow space. Size and number of plants is a balancing game depending on your space and your lights... there are no right or wrong ways to manage it. I have seen people use 1 gallon or even 1 liter containers using hempy, to go all the way through bloom to harvest.
Yeah, that concurs with everything I've read. It appears 5 gallons is pretty good size for my space, maybe 7 would be better. Only experience/time will tell. Let's see how they do this time around.

Just transplanted Canna into her new and final home. I decided not to add any amendments to the soil. The bottom 2/3rds are FFOF while the top third is HF. Both soils are about 70/30 ratio with perlite.

Transplanting:
  • Made sure to keep the soil as loose as I could and decided not to pre-saturate it.
  • Dug a hole the size of my plant pot.
  • Took my plant out, and to no surprise Emilya is right... root bound.
  • Pulled the roots a bit and clawed the middle a bit, hope I didn't do more harm than good.... but I wanted to get rid of some of the compaction.
  • Put the plant in the soil and covered it with the HF/perlite mix.
  • I then proceeded to water it until it was fully saturated. It required less water than I expected (just shy of 1.5 gallons)
The grate can actually balance the big pot, so it's great to provide even more airflow underneath.

I am going to transplant MJ now, but I am going to do a couple of things differently. I am looking to learn from this after all....

With MJ I am going to:
  • pre-saturate soil
  • put microbes (mycorrhizae) at the bottom of the hole where the plant will be going. Hoping this will help with root development.
  • Considering: Near the bottom of the soil, I am going to put a layer of amendments at a quarter the suggested ratio (mixture of Gaia 4-4-4, Gaia 2-8-4, and Gaia EWC)
    • My idea is that when the plant is bigger and the roots reach the bottom part of the soil, the FFOF will be out of food for my ladies, so they can the Gaia will feed them.

20210104_123637.jpg

20210104_123640.jpg

20210104_132150.jpg

20210104_132207.jpg

wow that’s the ticket, you won’t regret that, zero in on training & pest management for a few weeks and do the flip
Will do!

I forgot to pre-saturate the soil, so that variable remains the same for MJ.

I did amend the bottom 1/3rd of the pot with 1/3rd the recommended doses (not for the full pot, but for the portion of soil I was amending). I also put Microbes (mycorrhizae) at the base of the hole where MJ was being transplanted into.

MJ looks like it has a lot less perlite, but that is because I ran out, so the top 2 inches of soil don't have perlite added on, but everything else beneath the surface has the right ratio. I don't expect this to be an issue.

Keep you guys updated.

20210104_160539.jpg

20210104_160711.jpg

20210104_160807.jpg

20210104_174545.jpg

20210104_160338.jpg

The collage is a picture of 6 days after transplanting (Jan 4-Jan 10). The picture of Jan 10 is also a day after watering, they responded very well.. I did notice some brown spots on both plants, but the already-damaged Cannabitch got them worse.

Do you recommend removing damaged fan leaves that are small and show no sign of recovering? I don't know whats worse, putting more stress on the plant, or letting it spend energy on those leaves that will never actually get better?

inCollage_20210110_093148365.jpg

20210110_082137.jpg

16103863275492556399627681518711.jpg

This is what they look like today. Finally got them to look happy again, but CB is really yellow/lime green.

1610386393910639712028622303295.jpg

Gave them another watering yesterday. Soil was dry and the weight also indicated it was time to water. Just bought this sprayer, and I love it. It helped me water with a lot of precision and control, with no mess, and barely any excess run-off water to get rid off!

MJ is starting to pick up the pace, but Canna is not looking so hot.. I noticed pointy leaf tips with a bit of yellowing, and it seemed like the light intensity was too high, so I raised the light, but have not seen much improvement.

I also did defoliate the bad leaves on Canna, and a fair amount of fan leaves from MJ so that the growth sites would be better exposed to the light. From my understanding, its better to do this earlier in veg. Although I am 54 days into my grow already... almost impossible to believe the midgets I've grown

20210114_141719.jpg

20210115_001226.jpg

20210113_224520.jpg

I added an auto in my tent to start probing with them, and start learning. This is Sweet Skunk x Cinderella 99 from PeakSeedsBC. Seems to have very good reputation.

I also sucked it up and put the money towards a proper pH pen. This is even more important with autos, so I had to. Emilya would be proud hehe.

I'm just about to let MJ grow vertically, and she's a bushy one! I stopped training Canna for the most part, as I'm curious to see how they grow differently. Canna has never lost its lime-greenish color.... but continues to thrive.

20210120_130625.jpg

20210120_130636.jpg

16111771173151509229784682817435.jpg

16111771874838763109717312369842.jpg

Not the most active thread, so I may discontinue updating as often. Always appreciate you two stepping in, 013 and Emilya.

The autogrow seems to be doing well. Just transplanted her today and it seemed to have gone smoothly. Will do my best to follow Emilyas watering guides

Cannabitch continues to struggle, so im gonna give her a good flushing next watering.

20210127_233732.jpg

20210127_233752.jpg

20210128_152804.jpg

20210128_153031.jpg

20210128_153434.jpg

20210128_153440.jpg

20210128_153040.jpg

Parra!! What’s up??

Don‘t worry about anyone else or who looks at your journal, just do your thing. The more consistent you are the better chance you have of attracting visitors, but if you look at it from popularity contest point of view then it could become a drag. I’ve been at it for almost a year and only have about a 10 pages total on mine.... but big whoop..... am I right??? Ha ha!

So - What’s up with cannabitch? Good job on transplanting the auto now, everything I’ve read says to do topping training & upcan stuff before day 21 on autos.

yep, what 013 said... just keep at it and do your journals for your own records... don't let it get to you that no one seems to be watching. My journals sometimes take off and get popular, but usually they don't, and usually it is because I stop updating daily. If you keep putting your stuff up at the top of the recent post list, they will come... just be consistent.

Looking good in here by the way... keep up the good work!

@Emilya @013 Sorry I should have been more clear! I'm not worried about popularity, but I was using a thread as a means of receiving assistance. Thanks to you two, I've now gathered enough confidence to start a grow, and I can continue finding my answers along the forum. This is why I figured I may discontinue posting as often :) I'm not worried about quantity, you guys bring in all the quality I need. Just didn't wanna bore you guys with same old pics, and I can entertain myself offline hehe.

I am actually logging things on a spreadsheet, if all goes well ill upload the data for new growers - may be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom