First Time Grower Questions - Worried Seedlings May Perish

VladPutin

Hi,

7 Bubba Kush seeds from CKS. All popped. Planted in soil, indoors under a ViparSpectra 300 watt LED. They popped up fast once under light, but now two of the seedlings have yellow leaves, and they're all growing slow. Please let me know how I can help them improve....

Specs:

It's been one week under the LED light - which is about 12 inches above plants.
No nutes. I water them morning and night with collected rain water as they look quite dry.
Humidity 40.
Temp 68 degrees.
5 planted in jiffy peat pots. 2 with yellow leaves live in small clay pots.
Organic soil.
All plants are about half inch tall.
Window in room is cracked during the day for air.
24 hour LED light cycle.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Vlad

Well immediately it seems that your temps are considerable low. That would lead to slow growth and perhaps stress (yellow leaves)

I would try and get those temps up to 75 at least. But more comfortably around 80-85

I don't know how old they are but perhaps it's time to start a nutrient line? You're growing in organic soil but is it living organic soil? Or will you need a nutrient line?

Best of luck!

Agreed... Move that light to 30". Pigeons probably right about "optimal" temps. I wouldn't sweat 68 though, it's better than 98. Start a journal and people will help you along. The key is just don't do anything crazy. A little water, good light, decent soil and they practically grow themselves! Good luck!!!

Thanks, everyone! I moved the light up 30" above. Hopefully that works. And I may move to another room that is warmer.

The soil is simply organic, no living elements. Can you suggest a nutrient line? The seedlings are only 12 days old.

I also notice some small flies creeping around the soil and light. Should I be concerned?

Agreed... Move that light to 30". Pigeons probably right about "optimal" temps. I wouldn't sweat 68 though, it's better than 98. Start a journal and people will help you along. The key is just don't do anything crazy. A little water, good light, decent soil and they practically grow themselves! Good luck!!!

This is fantastic advice!! SMALL CHANGES

Thanks, everyone! I moved the light up 30" above. Hopefully that works. And I may move to another room that is warmer.

The soil is simply organic, no living elements. Can you suggest a nutrient line? The seedlings are only 12 days old.

I also notice some small flies creeping around the soil and light. Should I be concerned?

Concerned is the wrong word but you definitely need to consider action.

1) To start, take the plants out and give the area a good scrub (this never hurts) with soap and water. Dry it up.

2) Then get yourself one of those sticky fly strips that catch flying friends.

3) keep an eye out for bugs. On and under the leaves, in the soil and the surrounding area. Bugs are inevitable and many of them can live with and amongst our plants. If you happen to see some beautiful red lady bugs. Collect them up and bring them in. They love to eat little critters.

4) DONT move them to somewhere completely different because they may not be adaptable enough to handle that kind of change.

Nutrients -

You're going to have to do a little homework. I don't run LED and I've heard that they require a touch more Cal-Mag. But please don't take my word for it. There are a number of sponsors on this website that can direct you in the right area. But even better is if you take a wonder down to your local garden store and see what they have to offer. It's nice to have a direct supply.

I run Green Planet and I swear by them. A bit pricey and confusing at times. But worth the journey.

:high-five:

Most growth initially is below the surface while the plants get their roots in order.
Too close to an LED light, but with that model you could likely get away with 18".
Peat pots and clay pots wick away moisture = not great.
24 hour light schedule doesn't help. In fact I've seen some evidence it lowers growth while wasting electricity. Plants need rest too.
Watering is incorrect, IMO. Too little water way too often.These plants (in small pots) didn't get a single drink for 18 days and could likely have gone a full three weeks, but I was gone and didn't want to chance it. Don't water lightly and frequently. You want dry soil on top. The plants reach to the bottom for moisture and they hate having wet feet for long.

Duck_Pig2.jpg

Thanks. Your plants look great. So do you suggest to water and saturate the entire pot, then only water every few days?

Will it stun the plants if I change to a 18 hour/day light schedule?

I drench completely until the pot will not hold another drop. Drain it well.
Then I wait. Not one day. Not 5 days. I wait until they need it. Wet/dry cycles force the plants develop roots. Think of their searching out water as plant exercise. Depending on the size of the pot and the soil mix, it may take a month before they need another drink. For me it is at least two weeks when I start in solo cups. Watch for early signs of them wilting. Then, and only then, give them a drink.

These two pots are under a Mars 300 which is about the same as your light (135W actual draw). I also put them outdoors when weather permits.

Thanks, everyone! Watched your video Pigeon420. Very informative too. Thanks.

I bought some bug strips and it seems to help with the fly problem. Repotted the seedlings into larger plastic pots (no more jiffy pots). I'm also watering much less. MajorPita - great info. Thanks.

Switching from 24 hour light to 18/6. Seems to help. My plants aren't as yellow, and two of them are really growing - popping their 6th leafs.

Looks like two plants are still having trouble. But that's OK. I have 7 total, which is too much for one 300 watt LED, correct?

It could be a bit much for one light but I don't think that would lead to yellowing. But Major is better experienced for this question.

Glad you're getting things sorted out!

I hate to say it, but I think a 130 - 150 watt actual draw LED is good only for a single plant. You could probably grow two under it, but you won't get great coverage. More than two plants and there will be huge compromises in light coverage and penetration.

Congrat's on the turnaround! :goodjob:

I don't know a lot about LEDs but I think it is worth checking out the little Mars Hydro 300. It is 135 true watt unit for about $60 shipped. I like 'em because they work, they are cheap, you can get more than one w/o breaking the bank. So if one does fail, you have a backup. I use two of them and they've were solid performers throughout my last grow. I still haven't seen a better value. YMMV.

Looks like I'll pick up the MarsHyrdo. Not a bad price. Thanks!

I have six plants left out of 7 (one was damaged while replanting). Three of them look better than the other three. I moved them all outside today as it's going to be 75 degrees. Is this OK to do? Then I plan to continue the 18/6 light cycle indoors, but moving out when it's nice.

The plants are 2 weeks old. From what I read about Bubba Kush it's a slow growing plant with small yield, but great smoke. Does this sound correct: veg (18/6) until the plants reach 18-24 inches; then flower (12/12) for about 8-10 weeks?

I'm currently growing indoors in a white room, with a window cracked. They're in plastic pots about 12 inches tall and wide. Do I need to alter this environment as the plants grow? Should I look into a grow tent? If so, what type and size do you suggest? And if a tent is suggested do I need to buy the ventilation system, etc?

I'm growing for personal use. And only plan on doing it once a year. It's a fun project, and I'm learning alot. Is it OK to keep posting on this thread or should I start a diary of sorts somewhere? Please excuse my ignorance!

Thanks again!

I move my plants in and out all the time. Works great. They may need to be "hardened off" a little at first, but will probably be fine.
A white room is fine but you should get a fan to pull air through the room and another fan to blow/circulate the air around the plants.
No experience with Bubba.
12"x12" pot sounds like about 3 gal. IMO, that is pushing it. You can grow a good sized plant in 3 gal. of soil. It just takes more work and yield may suffer slightly.
You should start a journal! You will get more assistance, make friends, and learn a lot. Go the the forum's Grow Room > Grow Journals > Journals in Progress and start a new thread.

Great. I'll start a thread over there. Thanks for all the info!

One question, what does "hardened off" mean?

You harden off plants when you first set them out in the spring. They often need to get adjusted to the cold and hot temperatures as well as the bright sun. I usually start by putting them out in indirect sun or leave them out for shorter periods. If the temperatures are mild you don't need to worry about that part. It only takes a few days and depending on what the plants are used to, you may not need to do anything special. Just keep an eye out for stress.

Back
Top Bottom