First Time Hydro Questions

HigherTheHigh

Hello all so first of all this will be my first hydro grow so I'm unsure on what I want to do but I imagine I'll get the answers I need :).

So I'm only wanting to grow 1 plant, I have showed a picture of the setup in planning on creating.

is there any substitution than using clay pebbles as I really don't want to buy a full bag as the minimum amount is 25L so can I use foam instead?

So I'm wanting to either build my own setup or failing that I will buy just a simple bubbler pot.

I have water pumps, air pumps, pipes and everything but the tank/bucket.

What size mesh pot do I need as I have these, the measurements are:
Catchy Outer Diameter: approx. 8.3cm/3.27"
Inner Diameter: approx. 7.2cm/2.83"
Bottom Outer Diameter: approx. 5.5cm/2.17"
Height: approx. 6.6cm/2.60"

What is the best setup to go with then?

You can use foam, but if you're doing 1 plant, you're probably going big. If so go with clay pebbles. I'm pretty sure you can get them on Ebay from someone who repackages into smaller amounts.
As for net pot size, depends how big you want her. I'm growing 1 plant in a 4x4 scrog and using a 6" net cup.

I cant say that I would recommend foam. for a couple reasons ..one of the being the possibility of mold growing in it . As far as another medium you could try perlite if you do I would recommend that you keep the water level below the net cup as it is usually a fine material and I am uncertain of its wicking abilities .

As far as what size pot … pot lid ..its a lid that has a cup molded into it that fits perfectly on a 5 gallon bucket . I would do a 6" or 8 "

For what you are wanting to do I would recommend a simple 5 gallon bucket and airstone setup . Just make sure that you set it up so that you can drain it and fill it with ease . that's the simplest .

One that would be more complex with what you have available would be a recirculating 2 bucket system as you could have a second bucket next to it under the support brace section on either side and you could make a waterfall style manifold out of hose /pvc and mount it to the lid on the underside or the upper portion of the bucket and give the solution aeration by both methods waterfall and airstone.

Also make sure your scrogg screen is floating or that you can access the inside of the bucket with ease in the event you need to service the airstone .

If you buy the bag of Hydroton it will last you for years, plus lots of people start growing one plant and before you know it you want to double, triple your harvest.

I'm looking at making system for my 90x60x90 tent which will only be a 1 plant setup, I will leave a photo of my eventual setup.

I also need help with a 10 pot system as I'm planning a hydro grow with a friend in a 3x3m tent but only using half of it.

As for the clay pebbles I have found a shop that does split bags, I'm just a bit wary of using products that don't come packaged in there original packaging and I know it's only simply clay pebbles but you never know with companies this day an age.

So my friends tent is 3x3m tent and I can only use 1200w of light so I'm thinking 3x1.5m and there other 3x1.5m side I can put a 100L res tank ect in.

So if anyone has any ideas on a 10 pot setup that's on a budget if love to know :).

10 pots in that small area

Why?

Or did I miss something

Hydrotron all the way
I use all 3" net pots, works great. Bigger the net pot, the less water in yer bucket

Ya...maybe not smoke before ya type messages...lol

I'm not a fan of rdwc since all the plants run off the same nutes and water, any issues, and it effects them all

I use individual buckets for each
I have done 12gal tubs and ran 2-4 in those, but man was a pain to change water when you have 4-4' tall plants in it

Back
Top Bottom