FirstGrow - Miss Northern Lights

Hey grant,

Took your advice on board, The pots are plastic so you can tell when they are light, left them to dry out for a couple of days and started again only giving them a light watering, thanks for the help as usual

Got my botinacare pro grow to, seems to be working well on the babys, look at the biggest one thats 3 weeks old lol

Some new pics for you:

IMAG002814.JPG

IMAG00298.JPG

IMAG00307.JPG

IMAG003310.JPG

IMAG003210.JPG

IMAG003112.JPG

:morenutes:

Are we on a psychic link, man? I had your journal open. I was going to give you shit for not posting for so long!

Your plants are doing great. I'm impressed! The big one looks like it might need to be transplanted. I think she's outgrown her studio apartment and needs to move into a two bedroom.

How are you doing? Things still suck? If you're not working (like me), go out for a walk every day and shoot some gophers or something. That's the only thing that keeps me from going crazy. (Walking, not shooting the gophers!)

I know you said you've been lurking on my journal. Post a quick hello there once in a while so that I know you haven't died and your cat has eaten your face off.

The big one is the same size of pot as what the kush is in, reckon ill pop her out and fill her with more soil though, as i ran out hence it not being as full as the others :(, going to get another grow bag and repot her soon, roots arent at the bottom of the pot yet!

Yes, psychic link defo, as i thought today ''better post some pics for grant before he gets grumpy'' lol

Got to go see the lawyer tomorrow, court in march, so still sucking but its not to bad, least im still alive....

Ill post in your journal in 10 buddy, thanks for stopping by

VH

Hey Vee,

I had this big lecture I was going to give you about the evils of drinking and the virtues of smoking weed.

Turns out I'm a sanctimonious bastard! I was walking home tonight, thinking of buying a couple of slices of pizza, taking them home and (maybe) drinking a beer, when I saw this new bar I hadn't seen before. Tonight's Special was fish tacos. Not sure if these are a big item in Scottish pubs. I first heard about fish tacos was when I was living in the San Francisco Bay Area. Sigh, that was a wonderful place to live! I'm not even in the same country anymore.

Anyway, I had a friend who had a Mexican restaurant and he introduced me to them. They were wonderful. So, since they were only $2.50 each, I decided to check the place out.

Turns out it's a "craft" beer bar, i.e., they have over 100 beers around the world on tap. I ended up having a Warsteiner Dunkel, a Carlsburg, and a Stiegl Goldbrau. All of this on an empty stomach! They forgot my food order, but not the beer. The waitress was a Swedish gal and you're the first one to know - I'm in love!

Staggered home to write this post. Glad to hear you're surviving. I know you'd love this pub. Wish you could see it.

It sucks you have to hire a lawyer and go to court. I've been there a few times (mostly for doing very illegal things) and I know you wish you could juist disappear. I've survived and I know you will, too.

I'm off to right the ship. By which I mean, smoke some dope to find that perfect balance between ecstacy and delirium tremens.

Hang in there, buddy. See you at the other end of the tunnel and always remember,

Nil Illegitimi Carborundum!

.​

Little update for MR G:

So kush has another week to go i think before ill cut her down, Heres the other plants

IMAG001612.JPG

IMAG001513.JPG

^ Bio-Diesel Mass Automatic... say i wouldnt do another auto but had this one underway <_<

IMAG001412.JPG

^ Broke a fan leaf when i repotted it, one near the bottom, propped the fan up with a toothpick to hold it straight, bit worried, but should be alright i guess

IMAG001312.JPG

Topped the great white shark

Hey V-Man,

The plants are looking great! You're turning into a master grower! I wouldn't worry about the fan leaves on the bottom. I usually cut mine off after the plant starts getting taller. They'll start turning yellow and will fall off themselves eventually.

Remember, these plants are like Medusa, cut one leaf off and two will grow back.

Hope you life is getting back in order.

You should post more often. I sometime wonder if you've been attacked by the roving hordes of gophers that are know to frequent Scottish Golf Courses.

P. S.

Thanks for not mentioning my drunken rave in my previous post. The hangover was punishment enough, LOL!

Yeah i noticed you tried carlsburg, what did you think of it? Im not much of a beer person but thats a big one over here, Whyte & Mackay whiskey is what i scoop lol... Just seeing if you can actually grow 3 plants under 185w of cfls... Seems to going alright so far, temp is bang on 80 celicus all the time as well, People told me you could only grow 2 under it, but ive got 3 veg'ing and the kush is crammed in there as well and they seem fine :cheer:

My life will be back in order after march, As ill find out whats happening to my license :)

Ill post some more updates weekly as i think thats the best way, Usually see a good difference within a week anyway

Dont worry though, even though i dont post, ive bookmarked your grow, so im always having a lookie

Take care buddy

:Namaste:

Hey V-Man,

Nice green looking plants. Is that a new kid on the block in the middle pot? Did you plant a new seedling?

The leaves of the big plant in the ceramic pot are curling up. That could be a sign of heat stress or over fertilization.

By the way, where's the running commentary?

What's this? Can even type out a complete word? Arthrithis acting up again?

Yeah grant the hands are stiff these days from playing the bagpipes... lol

I think it might be to much pro grow on the one in the ceramic pot, Ive cut it out of her diet for now and ive continued just using plain water on her for now, The cupboard might be a bit humid so that could cause the leafs to curl right?

Yes thats the new kid on the block, I had 5 of them automatic bio-diesel mass ub3r seeds, So decided fuck it, if its an auto it will do its own thing, will see how she gets on :)

Ill drop the ceramic pot down a bit more away from the light and see how she gets on

And thanks mr fuzzy duck <3

PS: if it wasnt for you telling me to get that botinacare they wouldnt be that green thats for sure!!! <3 for the grant

IMAG003511.JPG

Healthy, Healthy

IMAG003610.JPG

Go little buddy go

IMAG003714.JPG

The great white shark, That doesnt seem to want to stop bulking up

IMAG004013.JPG

IMAG003911.JPG

IMAG003812.JPG

Not to sure with this one, Topped her the same time as the great white shark, she seems to have been stunted, new growth that is forming looks weird, 2 tips ( only 2 ) are really brown im guessing burned from the light when it was sitting really close to the cfl, moved her away... but shes going really slow, dont have much hope for her even though she seemed fine before, see what happens in 1-2 weeks

The last plant looks healthy, V-Man.

You say it's stunted? Is it in the same soil as the others? What is the soil that she's sitting in? I had two plants that were stunted because of poor soil and when I transplanted them, they started growing normally. (You've been to my journal - it's the ones I transferred to coco).

So unless the leaves start turning yellow or going weird, she's still pretty healthy and shouldn't have any problems surviving.

Keep up the bagpipes! I read somewhere that bagpipes were used in old Christian symbolism to represent decadence and wild partying.

Really? Bagpipes and orgies? You Scots are a strange and wonderful people!

Hey GMAN, She was orignally planted in shit soil ive put her into the soil ive used for GWS to see what happens, ill hopfully be able to notice something in a week to two...

Yeah bagpipes and orgies, thats how we roll!

Yeah no yellowing, Just some light green in the middle of her leafs, twisting of the new growth... hope she pulls through, If it doesnt change in the next 2-3 weeks ill get another auto on the go lol

Hey GMAN, She was orignally planted in shit soil ive put her into the soil ive used for GWS to see what happens, ill hopfully be able to notice something in a week to two...

Yeah no yellowing, Just some light green in the middle of her leafs, twisting of the new growth... hope she pulls through, If it doesnt change in the next 2-3 weeks ill get another auto on the go lol

Don't even think of trashing this plant. It is very healthy. It's just suffering from being in crappy soil!

The leaves curling up is often a sign of overwatering, and sometimes over-fertilization.

Because you originally had her in shit soil, the remainer of this soil is likely holding moisture (crappy house plant soil never dries out). When you add nutrients to correct the yellowing of the leaves, it doesn't do any good because the roots can't absorb the nutrients.

The best thing to do is transplant this lady into some good soil.

Look at these pictures:

Miss Nebula Unplugged

MissNebulaUnplugged.jpg

Miss Nebula Naked

MissNebulaNaked.jpg

Do the following:

1) Take the plant out of its pot;
2) Shake off the excess dirt - if it doesn't come off easily, dip the plant into cool water and wash the mud away;
3) Transplant into good soil - dangle the plant by the stem over the pot (so that the plant is where you want it to end up);
4) Pour soil into the pot around the roots;
5) Fertilize thoroughly with 1/2 strength nutrient solution.

Step 4) is to keep the roots from compressing too much.

By the way, roots are pretty tough. You don't have to be squeamish handling them.

Do you have a pH meter? If not, don't worry (I have one but haven't used it yet.). Do you know what the pH of your water is?

I tried to google the pH of some water in Scotland, but couldn't find anything definitive. This is about the best I could find:
pH is a measure of the degree to which the water is acidic or alkaline. Drinking Water in Scotland should be in the range pH 6.5 to pH 9.5, where pH 7 is neutral. Waters that are naturally low pH, which applies to most Scottish supplies, may need to be conditioned in order to ensure they comply with the Regulatory standard. This is most commonly achieved by adding lime or passing the water through a bed of limestone chippings.

The reason I'm asking is because if your pH is wrong, it's harder for a plant to absorb nutrients. It's probably not too bad, otherwise your other plants would probably have a problem. See if you can find out what it is and I'll tell you how to adjust it to what MJ likes (5.8 - 6.4).

.​

I wont trash her then, I did transplant her earlier into some good soil that the GWS is in, Patted some of the soil off her but not all of it as i was quite scared about wrecking the roots ( still a noob forgive me )

I reckon the auto must be overwatered, Ill give her a few days to dry out then as the soil is very damp when you put your finger into it... Hopfully she pulls through after her rehab session of water addiction lol

Dont really want to pull the white widow back out its new pot, ill see how she gets on seeing as your saying shes looking healthy, Ill keep a close eye on her in the next week and see how she gets on same with the auto

Great white shark on the other hand looks like shes loaded up on the steroids lol

pH of scottish water is 6.0 out the tap, everytime, havent ever used a pH metre, only checked the water out my tap twice with my buddys one and had to give him it back

Ive took your advice on board about the repotting though, least i know i can be a bit rougher and bash off the dirt a bit more, wish i knew that earlier when i transported her

If the soil is quite compacted in her new home is that a bad thing? guessing the roots find it hard to grow?

:circle-of-love: for you as normal gg, helping me along everyday lol

If the soil is quite compacted in her new home is that a bad thing? guessing the roots find it hard to grow?

House plants have thick roots that can burrow into soil. That is why the thick mud is fine for them. Cannabis has fine slender roots that are good for growing horizontally in shallow soil or deeply in sandy soil. The roots are too slender to penetrate the MiracleGro kind of crap sold as "potting soil."

Some people take a knife to the roots of their plants and cut half of them off when they transplant! Not me. But it shows that roots can handle a lot of abuse.

If you did transplant into better soil, one thing you might do is flush the plant. Pour plain water through the pot, three times its volume, Then add a new fresh batch of nutrients. The flushing will help get rid of any salt buildup on the roots and hopefully break up the muddy soil that remains around the roots from the last transplant.

Did you check you local garden centres or nurseries and see if they carry coco coir? It's very popular with home gardeners in their outside grows, ranging from flower beds, vegetable gardens to lawns.

You can get it ready to use or in compressed blocks. The blocks are cheaper and you can decide the final composition of the soil yourself. It comes in two sizes: the smaller is about twice the size of a mason's brick and the larger one is about the size of a desktop computer case.

The larger size will hydrate enough soil to fill a wheelbarrow.

If you can get some, you'd be amazed at how much better MJ grows in it compared to soil. It's a bit trickier to work with, so if you can find it and decide to use it, I can show you what to do with it. I've already done this once on my blog and I just made a HUGE batch yesterday. I'll be posting it in my journal soon.

Back
Top Bottom