Flytier's White Widow Novice Grow

And while I'm at it, the one I have outside is picking up now that we're starting to get somewhat better weather. It was topped a number of weeks ago and not much happened, at least not at much of a pace. Once June hots in all its glory, things should take off from there. Certainly it has a thick stem from handling the wind.
DSCI0914a.jpg

It's coming along. A branch here and there tends to get accidentally topped while trying LST, thus turning it into MST, but it just encourages more branches to pop out. At this point the larger of the two plants is about 10 cm/4" tall and 25 cm/10" across. There will probably not be much more LST on the longest branches because they are at the rim now.

I pruned a few leaves from the tops of the umbrellas today to allow more light to reach the fresh growth inside. Probably by the end of the month I'll have enough stems to take some cuttings and then put the plants on the lower level for 12/12.

I put down some CBDream seeds from CKS yesterday, and I'm hoping I'll have better luck with them than with past seeds. If all goes well I'll have two out of four for a rotating perpetual harvest. My plan is to have two plants each of four strains rotating in seedling, veg, early bud and late bud stages, taking cuttings in turn for clones as I go. I really don't have the space for mother plants, so going down the line seems like a good a way as any. By doing so, I can keep myself stocked and keep the largest stems on the plants for flowering.

DSCI0922a.jpg
DSCI0921a.jpg

Nice job buddy, I love the shape of the white widow leaves.....never done one.

Yeah, she has the broad indica leaves, that's for sure. Some of the early leaves were actually rounded at the tips. I've yet to do a sativa strain, but with their height and longer flowering times, I'll probably wait till next summer and do some out by the door. I don't think it would make a good closet grow plant. I like how dense these are. I almost need a machete to see into the middle.

Nice looking plants flytier. Very bushy and healthy looking.

White Widow will be my first known strain when I get my tents setup.

Thanks, they're coming along at a good rate. I'm looking forward to harvesting my first ones next month. But these are doing better because I got them in better soil that the others. I also have some CBDreams that I put down a couple days ago and I'm waiting to start playing with them now too.

Great first plant!

Hey I meant to ask you, what's your favourite wet fly pattern for Atlantics? We've recently over the past few years had a real effort by local companies to revitalize the great Lakes Atlantic numbers and my brother and I are unfamiliar with the patterns for them .....any inside knowledge to share with me?

Hey I meant to ask you, what's your favourite wet fly pattern for Atlantics? We've recently over the past few years had a real effort by local companies to revitalize the great Lakes Atlantic numbers and my brother and I are unfamiliar with the patterns for them .....any inside knowledge to share with me?

Well Guy, I'm glad you asked. I'm not much of a salmon fisherman - I like to go for trout myself - but down on this end of the country the big things are bugs like Bombers, which is a favorite in Newfoundland, where I'm from, and the Green Machine in New Brunswick, where I live now. The Green Machine is also a killer fly for trout too. The bomber can actually be fished wet or dry. To fish it dry you use a dab of Gink and to fish it wet you stick it underwater and squeeze all the air out from between the hairs. If you do that to the right degree, you can also use it as a suspending fly. EXTREMELY versatile, the Bomber is, and salmon have been known to go nuts for them.

I was fishing one day back in Nfld. with a Bomber and a 2 foot landlock hit it and took off with it. So I put on another one and caught the same fish again with my first fly still caught in its throat. My favorite pattern for one is deer hair and an orange hackle wound up the length of it.

I'm a little sloppy tying bugs, but this Bomber is done on a #8 streamer hook. Body is deer hair; hackle is orange; and the head and tail are tufts of calf tail. If you can't find one in a store, contact me and we can make a deal.

And on a different note, my outdoor WW is springing up like Jack's magic beanstalk. We've been getting some hot, sunny days lately and this baby has been growing at about 1/2" a day. Out, not up, since I'm working on LST with this one too. I haven't been hitting it with much fertilizer, as it's in a pretty rich organic mix anyway, with the fish compost as the base for the soil ecology, and topped off with a natural, undyed mulch.

DSCI0932a.jpg

And on a different note, my outdoor WW is springing up like Jack's magic beanstalk. We've been getting some hot, sunny days lately and this baby has been growing at about 1/2" a day. Out, not up, since I'm working on LST with this one too. I haven't been hitting it with much fertilizer, as it's in a pretty rich organic mix anyway, with the fish compost as the base for the soil ecology, and topped off with a natural, undyed mulch.

DSCI0932a.jpg
Look at that main stem. ....wow!

Do you know what type of insects the above mentioned Flys are imitating? My brother and I are both rainbow and speck guys too, that's why I was hoping for some east coast Intel on the Atlantic, lol. They're so new to us all. Haven't been in the great Lakes since Samuel Wilmot introduced them at the turn of the last century. Now a collaborative effort between our liquor control board, TD bank and some other sponsors are making a good run at reintroduction. Unless these Asian carp hit the great Lakes......then we're all fucked lol.

Do you know what type of insects the above mentioned Flys are imitating? My brother and I are both rainbow and speck guys too, that's why I was hoping for some east coast Intel on the Atlantic, lol. They're so new to us all. Haven't been in the great Lakes since Samuel Wilmot introduced them at the turn of the last century. Now a collaborative effort between our liquor control board, TD bank and some other sponsors are making a good run at reintroduction. Unless these Asian carp hit the great Lakes......then we're all fucked lol.

What those flies imitate I'm really not sure, but there's a saying in the science world that goes if you don't know the answer, at least know where to find it. I'll look around and see if I can find out for you. I just know that it's a kickass fly. Specks love the scaled-down version of both of them too; rainbows, don't know, but probably. So do arctic char, FTR. As for the Asian carp, I've seen those things on documentaries. Wow! But that's what happens with introduced species; look at the rabbit and sheep in Australia as another example.

You know Guy, I've been thinking, if you're looking for some flies, we may be able to help each other. Send me an email to salmontech@outlook.com . My name is Al. I've been hoping to find a fly fisherman in Ontario. I'll elaborate in private. Gotta go; I'm on break at work and I'm using my cell phone data plan here. I'll get hold of you this evening when I hit my wi-fi. As a sidenote, you can see more of my flies and stuff at Handcrafted Fishing Tackle by flytier on DeviantArt . I'll be talking to you later on.

I did a little more trimming on the indoor plants today, getting rid of some more of the leaves on bottom that were getting no light, and some of the leaves on top that were blocking some of the light. When the canopy opened up I saw many more small branches than I thought were there, even most of them are quite small as of yet. If I let them grow I should be able to get as many clones as I want plus more. However, I don't really have a whole lot of space to put them, and by the time they take root it will be too late in the summer to put them out. I'll probably keep a few to put into the perpetual harvest rotation though.

In the picture here you can see a lot of LST tie-downs, but they're holding only the branches that are big enough to take them.

DSCI0957a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom