Frankenbox CFL grow update

420-magazine-mobile759011688.jpg
i had that problrm but where coming back

It's harder to suffocate in an air pot, especially with lots of perlite, but yeah, up-potting is good. :thumb:

The plant looks good to me. No, natural sunlight/CFL combo shouldn't cause any problems other than maybe heat from the bright sun.

Lol true true... Its my first grow.
Since I couldn't pick up any perlite or clay pellets or an aeropot like I wanted to but I was thinking about what if I drilled holes thought the 1 gal pot from the inside out so it was perforated so that itwould work like an aeropot to allow more oxygen in and allow it to air prune the roots?
Hey quick question instead of using clay balls could one simply crush up a old hundred-year-old brick just a thought

Hey quick question instead of using clay balls could one simply crush up a old hundred-year-old brick just a thought

Clay balls are fired clay just like bricks, but they're full of air so they'll actually hold and wick up water. And they're lighter and lack sharp edges. So yeah, you could probably use crushed brick successfully, but it wouldn't be same thing by any means.

Wouldnt the brick dust cause issues to the plant soaking it up?

Plants can only "soak up" what has actually dissolved and gone into solution at the chemical level, and I don't think a fired brick is going to release very much into solution. Maybe some iron from the clay? That would be a good thing. ;)

What's up Zigg306! Its good to see cfl growers putting in comments and advice with each other..
Sorry the lag on the reply phones been actin all wonky. I have grow update pics on the way .

How is your grow coming?

Hey dude. Here's my CFL setup. First season growing. Had a couple outside for the summer now started this one in a DIY grow box. 6x 23W 6500k lights for veg. Have 6 2700k plus a 65w 2700k for flower. This is around week 4 1/2.
420-magazine-mobile616934720.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1363139320.jpg

Lots of cables lol. Couldn't find and dual head fixtures locally and had these pigtails lying around. Fairly easy to adjust the location of the lights with hooks all around the top of the grow box.

Hey dude. Here's my CFL setup. First season growing. Had a couple outside for the summer now started this one in a DIY grow box. 6x 23W 6500k lights for veg. Have 6 2700k plus a 65w 2700k for flower. This is around week 4 1/2.
420-magazine-mobile616934720.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1363139320.jpg

Lots of cables lol. Couldn't find and dual head fixtures locally and had these pigtails lying around. Fairly easy to adjust the location of the lights with hooks all around the top of the grow box.
Looks good bro ... I would recommend getting some Reflectix for the sides of the box.
420-magazine-mobile1059324603.jpg

Other then that looks great.

What I read was that flat white paint reflects light just as good as Mylar, and I happened to have some so went with that.
At least with my light meter values went up about 10% once i applied mylar (had those aluminum foil windshield screens)

What I read was that flat white paint reflects light just as good as Mylar, and I happened to have some so went with that.
This isn't Mylar. Its insulated and had a 95+ reflectivity rating. I heard white paint is good but it seems like it would catch and hold light instead of reflect ( personal opinion, not knocking your set up)
420-magazine-mobile1629606380.jpg

420-magazine-mobile148119234.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2107730326.jpg

A quick look at how my box is set up with Reflectix and lights.

I heard white paint is good but it seems like it would catch and hold light instead of reflect

Surprisingly, according to everything I have read, white paint is supposed to be very close to aluminum in reflection. It just reflects light in all directions instead of creating a "specular" reflection. (You're well into the realm of the physics of the interaction of photons and electrons on that one. ;))

But for all that, I'm with Mrblunts and have always felt best with shiny metal. And it looks so futuristic! :)

Surprisingly, according to everything I have read, white paint is supposed to be very close to aluminum in reflection. It just reflects light in all directions instead of creating a "specular" reflection. (You're well into the realm of the physics of the interaction of photons and electrons on that one. ;))

But for all that, I'm with Mrblunts and have always felt best with shiny metal. And it looks so futuristic! :)
Look at my girls now Scientific
420-magazine-mobile212204210.jpg

Super stoked on the progress. in process of building scrog net. Will have updated pics soon.

This isn't Mylar. Its insulated and had a 95+ reflectivity rating. I heard white paint is good but it seems like it would catch and hold light instead of reflect ( personal opinion, not knocking your set up)
420-magazine-mobile1629606380.jpg

420-magazine-mobile148119234.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2107730326.jpg

A quick look at how my box is set up with Reflectix and lights.

Mylar is said to reflect 95% as well. Flat white paint is said to reflect 85%. So for the light to travel to the reflective surface and back your probably not gaining a whole hell of a lot more. I'll stick with what I've got and maybe update in the future when I build a larger grow box.

Back
Top Bottom