What strain is it? Full Moon
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Predominately Sativa
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? First week of germinating
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Miracle Grow Seed Starting Soil
If soil... What size pot? Solo cups
Size of light? 120watt flood light plus 60watt light
Is it aircooled? Not ATM, Will be when transported to new pots and grow tent/box.
How often are you watering? When soil looks dry or/and when plants look thirsty

Introduction - Hey 420 members! I've been checking and trolling on many grow journals, completed/ even non-completed journal and decide to grow something naturally. I have 2 full moon plants, Germinated 1 in shot cup, and 1 in paper towel method. Took only 1 day to sprout its little tail, and got planted. Will be posting pictures soon =]

P.S I am also on a budget but has some past experience on growing. Open to any tips/comments/statement/etc etc.

1012014143_01.jpeg
1012014134_01.jpeg

Hey Knight...welcome to 420mag....nice grow journal so far....there are many people here who will help you along the way with your grow...its a ton of fun to watch your babies develop into beautiful medicine!

Some recommendation's to your grow that will help your success..

1...get rid of the clear plastic cups or use tape over the outsides of the cups...root's and light do not get along and this may stunt your growth...some electrical tape or even duct tape will help shade the roots...

2... Looks like the walls of your grow area are tin foil? Tin foil, even though it looks reflective to the eye...only reflects about 60-70% of the light back on the plants... you will get much more light out of your bulbs if you were to take down the tin foil and either paint with flat white paint, or use sheets of mylar.... this will reflect upwards of 95% of the light back...much more available to your plants!

3. Since your going organic...which is definitely a great choice..I do Organic as well...
Read up on mychorrizae fungus (may be spelled wrong) and beneficial bacterial...this will give you a great understanding of how organics work... Also if you have netflix..watch the movie called "Dirt, the movie" and this will explain how organics is different from other types of salt fertilizers. Focus on a good organic soil..check out Fox farm ocean forest, or Happy frog...I've had good results and also these are quite popular... Look into adding different guano's (poops) to your soil... focus on bat and seabird poops along with worm casings (poop) lol...and you will have very happy plants...

4. Look into a soil innoculent that will add beneficial fungi and bacteria's to your soil...these work along with the plant roots in breaking down the (poops) into somthing the plant can use...definitely will see faster and healthier growth...

5. With organics...Don't use reglar tapwater unless you have to...try to at least get a filter for chlorine and cholromine which will kill off your good bacteria's you added... If you must use tapwater...let it sit out for at least 24 hours before you add nutrients and feed plants....will let a good portion of the chlorine evaporate... I would recommend using RO water or distilled water...or rain water if you have that available...

6. Don't mix salt fertalizers with organic ones...you will kill off a good amount of your good bacteria's in your soil...slowing down the available nutrients for your plants...also salt ferts can build up in your soil and cause ph issues and nutrient lockups...not too common with organics..

7. You will need more lights later in the cycle when you go to flowering...(well for best results that is) You can browse around 420's website and there are plenty of DIY solutions for adding cheap but effective lighting to your grow...you may want to look into that flood light (120w one), I'm not too sure that the spectrum it puts out is ideal for plants...invest in CFL bulbs and more of them as you get closer to flowering..will greatly help your yield and density of nugs..

These are some great tips to get you started...Hope this helps you explore growing and enjoy it as much as I do...

Thanks for the great post Icemud, RESPECT! I def will try and find some tape, ive been on a budget, TEEHEE , But thanks, I def learned something new, and I am investing on some mylar material roll. Also I let my water sit there , Def a handy tip there for all growers.

I am investing in this light at the moment, HTG Supply - FLORALUX 400 watt High Pressure Sodium Grow Light , What you guys think?

I wouldn't recommend this one for a few reasons......first off with the ballast attached to the light it will be much heavier to hang in your growing environment...not a big drawback but worth mentioning....

2nd.... This light is going to put off a tremendous amount of heat from the ballast and from the 400w bulb...and since it is not air cooled, this heat will raise the temperature of your grow area significantly.....

I definitely would suggest a 400w for your grow area...but it might be better to look at a seperate ballast, seperate air cooled hood...which in the long run I think will better suit your needs... Check on Craigslist and I've found some really good deals for ballast, hood, bulb for around 200$....an air cooled hood will definitly make the difference for you... *also in the event that your ballast goes bad, you will have to replace less if you buy the units seperately...

You also can check out LED lights from our sponsors here at 420magazine...LED technology is somewhat new, but has been out long enough for manufacturers to advance there products quite a bit, and I've seen some really impressive grows with LED's...also they run much cooler so you wont need to add a bunch of venhilation....and they draw much less wattage than HID's...

before you buy a bulb for your light...make sure you check what spectrum's the light puts out....a good brand is Ushio which is what I use and so far I have not yet seen a bulb with as much PAR spectrum as these bulbs...(PAR is the light that plant's see vs what us Humans see..) plant's don't really use green light...but love red and blue light...try to find a HPS bulb with added blue spectrum..*(for veg) AND/OR pick up a HPS and MH bulb and you will definitely see a big difference....but you can use a HPS all the way thru as well...

For your reflective material...you can also use those "emergency blankets" that you can pick up for pretty cheap on the internet...these will be very similar to mylar and be much more efficiant for light reflection than the tin foil.

Also, just a side note....Miracle Grow is not organic.....Soil does not = organic... I would not recommend using Miracle Grow when you transplant...try to find a organic soil mixture..with no added fertz...no time release fertz.... just soil with lots of "poops" and mycorizae fungus....

Back
Top Bottom