Full or half power lights!

Adam13213

I just got done growing three girls under one Mars Hydro reflector 48 and they grew roughly one and a half feet tall with some decent buds but I feel like I could do better so I bought another Mars Hydro reflector 48 and am doing four girls this time. My question is since they are autoflowering girls can I go ahead and turn both lights on full blast or stick with veg lights first then when they start to flower turn on the other side of the lights as well.

I would think that you can always go full blast with the lights. The reason that a bloom mode is included is because bloom adds red from the lower frequency end of the spectrum, which is needed more for flower development than for growth. You'll get more PAR, but not as much as if you added light from the blue end of the spectrum. The amount of PAR that you add to the veg cycle may not be worth the energy input, though.

What is PAR? And I can leave those LEDs on pretty much 24/7 if needed, power consumption isn't much of a problem for me.

PAR is photosynthetically active radiation...basically how much of the energy can be used by the plant. Lumens measures brightness, but includes light that the plant can't use (the green part of the spectrum, for example). That's why LED grow lights focus on the blue and red ends of the spectrum, because they have higher PAR values than the green part.

If you are going to run your lights 24/7, check into your lights. I think some of the cheaply made LED grow lights can't handle that kind of use.

I've also been told by giving them a two or three-hour nap a day I can help them grow quite well something about biology in the dark.

I've also been told by giving them a two or three-hour nap a day I can help them grow quite well something about biology in the dark.

This is correct. I was a biology major in College, and plants were my specialty.

Like all living things on the surface of Earth, plants need a sleep period so they can use the products of photosynthesis to repair tissues, grow more leaves, and develop roots and flowers. You will see more growth after their nap time than with 24/0.

If you're in veg, you can save on your electric bill with the gaslight schedule. The break in the the middle of the night will halt them from going to flower.

Simply put, set your timer to 12/12, then toggle on a 1 hour ON time in the middle of the night. Over time you DO save $ on your electric bill.

Without getting into a discussion on hormones and light schedules, by using the gaslight schedule in veg, when you switch to flower, by toggling the 1 hour from ON to OFF, the ladies will flower more quickly.

Back
Top Bottom