GreenThunder Dips Into Hydro

Nice job my friend

Told ya not to kill her

This one has tested my patience and perseverance though it's been my own mistakes that made it so. I've learned a lot and feel fairly confident continuing with hydro.

The clone's roots are coming along nicely and still white!

PHOTO_20180803_122553.jpg
PHOTO_20180803_122548.jpg

I'm thankful for this clone.... she's 31 days old and was cut when the mother was 15 days into 12/12. That's later than I'd normally take a clone but she’s really given me the confidence to continue with hydro. I think she's reentered veg state with weird 1 and 3 finger leaves but I've seen these on clones before so I'm not concerned

PHOTO_20180804_072949.jpg

I thought I'd list some of my errors, to have them in one place:

• put her in the hydroton too soon (as soon as she had a tap root
  • used a netpot that’s too big (8")
  • didn’t top feed, starving and dehydrating her while she struggled to throw out roots.
  • didn’t address issues in a timely manner (things happen quickly in hydro!)
  • wasn’t prepared for dealing with high water temps and didn’t know (or research) how to handle it
  • not enough air (a commercial grade air pump is essential)

All of this info is here but I couldn’t really grasp it until I experienced it. Thank you all for your help and encouragement!!

Second round of roots looks good, though a bit of browning at the tops. I gave them a spray of peroxide

PHOTO_20180808_075132.jpg
PHOTO_20180808_075137.jpg

The topside.... a little better, maybe, but still struggling. I'll trim a little and see if that helps.

PHOTO_20180807_215240.jpg
PHOTO_20180807_215259.jpg

I've got a 10 day old seedling and potentially a clone from some cuttings I gave a friend. So she's got another 10 days to show what she can do.... otherwise I'm moving on to something that will grow and produce. I've learned an awful lot from her so she has given much value already, I really just don't see her producing much more than experience

Well it's time to call it on the Guinea pig. She has shed another branch of roots...

PHOTO_20180808_233813.jpg

Maybe the peroxide spray wasn't a great idea or maybe there's just too much gunk in the net pot to grow good roots. I did run all res changes through the hydroton, thinking that would help flush it out. Or maybe overcoming early malnourishment was too much to bear. Either way, it's time to focus on the healthy.

Grape Ape monster clone, 36 days

PHOTO_20180809_110414.jpg
PHOTO_20180809_110422.jpg

She's just starting to get leaves with more than 1 finger and is my first healthy hydro. Any guesses on what's the soonest I could reasonably flip her?

It looks pretty busy in there to do a quadline unless you don't mind basically starting the plant's growth from scratch. I've only doing my first now but it involves topping around the 5th node, keeping nodes 3 and 4, and stripping everything below that. Then you tie out the four branches to make an X. Those are the first stages. Then you keep the outside growth below the level of the 3rd node to allow the inside growth to get higher, and once they take off you let the outside growth grow up.

Hard to tell if yours will stand up to that shaping and pruning because it's so bushy!

It looks pretty busy in there to do a quadline unless you don't mind basically starting the plant's growth from scratch. I've only doing my first now but it involves topping around the 5th node, keeping nodes 3 and 4, and stripping everything below that. Then you tie out the four branches to make an X. Those are the first stages. Then you keep the outside growth below the level of the 3rd node to allow the inside growth to get higher, and once they take off you let the outside growth grow up.

Hard to tell if yours will stand up to that shaping and pruning because it's so bushy!

Maybe I'll save that for one grown from a seed

Pruned and lst'd the clone tonight. In the beginning I was nervous about this and sneaked behind hubby's back or dropped lights on them to tentatively experience the methods. @InTheShed you've been a great help and inspiration for me; I've learned a lot, not only from your direct assistance but also watching what you do by how you document it so well. I had these thoughts as I worked with her tonight

Before

PHOTO_20180809_222704.jpg

What was removed

PHOTO_20180809_224336.jpg

After

PHOTO_20180809_224420.jpg

I must say, I enjoy this a lot more than troubleshooting a lost cause. :yummy:

Back
Top Bottom