Help! My seedling is struggling

sugboats

420 Member
First time grower, my seedling is like 2.5 weeks after breaking surface and is really struggling. Growth is practically dormant. First set of fan leaves is yellowing/purpling with crispy texture. 2nd set of fan leaves are droopy and getting crispy as well. All leaves above it feel healthy. The 2nd set of fan leaves isnt stemming outward, forcing new growth to cluster and bunch up on top. Bottom of container is clear and roots look big and super healthy!

Soil: Coco Coir & Perlite
Light: Full spectrum 150W LED, 18hr cycle
Water: slightly overwatered early, but relatively dry now

Thanks in advance!

Do you have plenty of drainage holes in the bottom of your container?

I grow in coco/perlite. It is a drain to waste hydroponic system. The plants need to be watered with a nutrient solution at least once a day. Water until you get run off of 10% - 20%. What nutrients are you using?

You may wish to start a journal under Grow/Grow Journals on the green menu bar above. It will serve as a handy reference for your future grows, and allow us to follow along and make informed suggestions when things go wrong.

Welcome @sugboats I'm new and unfamiliar with coco, but shouldn't that stay pretty wet? That cup looks mighty dry from the top! Ooop...here comes a smart guy, yay! :yahoo:

@Old Salt I have 6 good size drain holes in the bottom and it drains nicely when watered, so not sure that's an issue.

Everything I read said no nutes at seedling phase. With coco is that not the case?

Thanks!

Do you have plenty of drainage holes in the bottom of your container?

I grow in coco/perlite. It is a drain to waste hydroponic system. The plants need to be watered with a nutrient solution at least once a day. Water until you get run off of 10% - 20%. What nutrients are you using?

You may wish to start a journal under Grow/Grow Journals on the green menu bar above. It will serve as a handy reference for your future grows, and allow us to follow along and make informed suggestions when things go wrong.

@Pbass The top of the soil was freshly added. I added a bit two days ago because it was getting stringy and top heavy. havent watered since because it looked overwatered with the droopy fan leaves.

Thanks!

Welcome @sugboats I'm new and unfamiliar with coco, but shouldn't that stay pretty wet? That cup looks mighty dry from the top! Ooop...here comes a smart guy, yay! :yahoo:

@Old Salt I have 6 good size drain holes in the bottom and it drains nicely when watered, so not sure that's an issue.

Everything I read said no nutes at seedling phase. With coco is that not the case?

Thanks!
That's true for soil. but not coco/perlite. I use General Hydroponics' Flora Trio and supplements. I'll do up a 25% nutrient schedule for you in an hour or two.

I've used from 25% label strength to 40%. At 30% I started to notice nutrient burn. I suggest starting at 25% as per the tables below, and adjusting for any problems that show up. The liquid nutrient volumes are in ml.

full

@Old Salt I just started my regimen! Ive read conflicting reports on N deficient leaves. Do the bottom fans look like they should be removed or can they green back up? They don't crumble to the touch, but almost feel like gift wrapping tissue paper, very rigid, think chlorophyl went on vacation

Thanks so much for all info!

There's still life in the plant. A good watering with the Mild Vegetative nutrients above should bring her back.

I'd give them a day or two. They may contain nutrients the plants can salvage. When they turn brown, or next weekend I'd remove them. The other current foliage may not fully recover, but the new growth should be good.

Those yellow leaves will soon be forgotten. Doing no harm so I personally would leave them for now, unless or until they start to shrivel up , they may fall off themselves after a while. Don't think they will get green again but no matter, I think if you follow @Old Salt advice you'll have lots of new green growth in a week or so.

@PE636 @Old Salt started my nutes and it almost instantly leached those bottom leaves upward. Had an EXPLOSIVE two days of growth, since the last photos were taken.

Thanks for saving my baby!

Those yellow leaves will soon be forgotten. Doing no harm so I personally would leave them for now, unless or until they start to shrivel up , they may fall off themselves after a while. Don't think they will get green again but no matter, I think if you follow @Old Salt advice you'll have lots of new green growth in a week or so.

@Barney86 @Old Salt @PE636 so my plant rebounded beautifully thanks to all your guys help and motivation!

Because of the timing of the nute def. I have like 2 purple nodes and they dont seem to be thickening much stemwise there. Because its the base of the plant and the top is thick, its getting top heavy and tipping with my small fan on it.

Will the base girth catch up? should i turn fan off to not overstress? I know the fans what is helping it bulk so I am afraid to turn it off. Would something like low stress training be a better way to deal with the tippy plant? Thanks!!!

@PE636 @Old Salt started my nutes and it almost instantly leached those bottom leaves upward. Had an EXPLOSIVE two days of growth, since the last photos were taken.

Thanks for saving my baby!

Wow, she looks so much better. Damn good advice here from the experts.

Back
Top Bottom