Help needed

FoolishWise Guy

Guys what does this look like
Isit magic mushrooms or somethings else ?

20211016_172153.jpg

20211016_172150.jpg

20211016_172144.jpg

20211016_172142.jpg

20211016_172132.jpg

20211016_172128.jpg

They look like mushrooms and look like the edible type,

That said, it’s best to leave picking and eating wild mushrooms to professional mycologists (scientists who study fungi).

Normally mushrooms with brown or tan gills are edible while white gills are poisonous.

My magic mushrooms come in a bag…delivered by a guy named Jimbo lol. Second on what Dwight said - very dangerous guess and could be your last. Just too many variants out there.

Although thanks for the input @garybo - I learned what a mycologist was today! Thank you sir! You should have seen how disappointed I was when I found out my great uncle was a horologist….yeah, I’ll wait for you to google it…………………………………….
Despite my giggling prepubescent mind, it had nothing to do with what it sounds like, just watchmaking……

horologist
@sneekymofo , you crack me up. "just watchmaking……"
Yes I had to google horologist, the definition is "One who practices or is skilled in horology", so I had to look up horology, "Horology is the study of the measurement of time".
Pretty cool.
My great uncle was a farmer.

DO NOT eat wild mushrooms unless you have verified with an expert that they are safe. I've taken a couple upper division college mycology classes and I still don't feel qualified or comfortable collecting and eating most wild mushrooms. Yes, some are easy, morels, chanterelles, hen of the woods, but I certainly would not eat one based on a picture alone. The differences between poisonous and non poisonous mushrooms sometimes comes down to things as small as how many gills it has, how the gills are attached to the stipe, are the gills "veiled", what the stipe looks like after picking (death angels and amanitas in general have a bulb at the bottom of the stipe) and color of the spores, just to mention a few things. The best "test" for a suspected psilocybe mushroom is to bruise the stipe, if psilocyn is present, the bruised area will turn a green or blue color within a couple hours. I am fond of this saying, told to me by my mycology professor: "The are old mushroom hunters, and there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters!" Words to stay alive by!

Here's another thing I learned, generally, if you eat a wild mushroom and you get sick 2-4 hours afterwards, your gonna be sick, but you'll live. If you get sick 8-12 hours after eating a mushroom, you're gonna be REALLY sick, and you'll probably live. If you get sick 24-48 hours after ingesting a mushroom, you'll need a new liver!!!

if psilocyn is present, the bruised area will turn a green or blue color within a couple hours.

Never knew there was a color test. Good to know.

Years ago I was at a group outdoor event and several of us went out into the woods to hunt morels. Problem was several people who had never hunted mushrooms wanted to join in after trying them. One collected false morels but another was sitting at the fire after frying up Jack-o'-lanterns. Had a fork full headed to his mouth when we spotted the pan. Stopped him 3 inches shy of a really bad day. Don't mess with wild mushrooms unless you are absolutely positive of what type you have.

DO NOT eat wild mushrooms unless you have verified with an expert that they are safe. I've taken a couple upper division college mycology classes and I still don't feel qualified or comfortable collecting and eating most wild mushrooms. Yes, some are easy, morels, chanterelles, hen of the woods, but I certainly would not eat one based on a picture alone. The differences between poisonous and non poisonous mushrooms sometimes comes down to things as small as how many gills it has, how the gills are attached to the stipe, are the gills "veiled", what the stipe looks like after picking (death angels and amanitas in general have a bulb at the bottom of the stipe) and color of the spores, just to mention a few things. The best "test" for a suspected psilocybe mushroom is to bruise the stipe, if psilocyn is present, the bruised area will turn a green or blue color within a couple hours. I am fond of this saying, told to me by my mycology professor: "The are old mushroom hunters, and there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters!" Words to stay alive by!

Here's another thing I learned, generally, if you eat a wild mushroom and you get sick 2-4 hours afterwards, your gonna be sick, but you'll live. If you get sick 8-12 hours after eating a mushroom, you're gonna be REALLY sick, and you'll probably live. If you get sick 24-48 hours after ingesting a mushroom, you'll need a new liver!!!
I lived in Florida for 20yrs. The way I was taught is right after it rains go to your favorite cow pasture, in the cowpie growing out of it pinch the end of the cap and stem if it turns bluish-purple it’s magic. Give the cap a good thump to release spores for next time.

Back
Top Bottom