HerbsNBuds' 1st and 2nd Simultaneous Grow

Re: HerbsNBuds' 1st and 2nd simultaneous grow.

Anyway, bought a humidity dome for the rapid rooter, and I built my very own Hydro system for less than 40 bucks so far. The only thing I'm missing is the submersible pump and I'm good to go. Currently has a 6 plant capacity, but will be increasing to 12 tomorrow. Gonna pull 12 clones and test my hydro skills for the very first time. Any recommendations for the medium mix. I just bought some sphagnum moss and perlite from the depot. I was reading about vermiculite and some clay pellets and shit. The local hydro store will be supplying most of my nutes and mediums so I want the best for the beginner so as to not f up my clones. Any and all suggestions are welcome...

Pics on the hydro setup tomorrow... :)

Pics of the new and improved, veg and clone room...

IMG00285-20100811-2151.jpg

The clones, 4 of the AK-47 and 6 of the unknown strain.
IMG00286-20100811-2151.jpg

Pics from grow 1....
IMG00280-20100811-1256.jpg

About 5% orange trichromes so a few more weeks till harvest....
IMG00282-20100811-1256.jpg

Grow 2... as you can see all are flowering together at about the same rate...
IMG00279-20100811-1204.jpg

Clones got pulled today and placed in the rapid rooter after being coated in Clonex. I figured on originally pulling 12 all together but 10 seemed perfect without affecting the overall yield of this grow. I took clippings from the lower half of the plant and all contain at least 3 nodes. I did cut the leaves as I saw fit to give the clones stimulation to grow roots to produce more nodes to catch the light more efficiently. Well thats the theory anyway. We shall see as this is day 1 of cloning.

setup looks good, plants look good,, a few questions though..

what are you feeding her?,, I don't know if it is the picture or not, but is she looking pale/yellow in that last one? It could just be the lighting/picture,, How far into flower are you? Why did you cut the leaves of the clones? Was it from something you have read/done before? IMO, I think it will hurt, now it has to heal itself, and grow roots, and now it has less reserve to pull from to put toward root growth... And, out of curiosity, why did you fill the nursery with the rapid rootes,,,,

setup looks good, plants look good,, a few questions though..

what are you feeding her?,, I don't know if it is the picture or not, but is she looking pale/yellow in that last one? It could just be the lighting/picture,, How far into flower are you? Why did you cut the leaves of the clones? Was it from something you have read/done before? IMO, I think it will hurt, now it has to heal itself, and grow roots, and now it has less reserve to pull from to put toward root growth... And, out of curiosity, why did you fill the nursery with the rapid rootes,,,,

Great questions Zen...

I'm feeding them Fox Farm big bloom and I'm about a week and half into flower at the most. The lighting of the HPS makes the plants look a little more yellow and of course my cell phone camera didn't help.

As far as cutting the leaves, the theory is that the cuttings will use stored energy to grow roots and cutting the leaves or pruning promotes root growth according to a few of my sources. This is the first time I've done it but talking to experienced growers and the guy at the hydro shop, supposedly it roots em faster. They want light to produce usable sugars so they need leaves. To get leaves, they need nutes and the nutes come from the roots. So in theory, it should promote root growth.

For the last question, the rapid rooters came in the nursery as a package and they are made from compressed tree bark. They will be fine according my hydro guy if not used in this grow. I was thinking of taking em out, but for $12.95, I really don't care. Plus when I get my new Aurora Indica seeds next week, they will go right in the empty spots after germ.

I like to experiment so if it doesn't work this way, so be it, and I'll try again but of course thanks for the input.

New bud photos! Hopefully a little more clear than the last couple.

The 3 together... man I'm starting to salivate!
IMG00288-20100812-1143.jpg

The next 2 are just buds that are healthy and growing...
IMG00287-20100812-1143.jpg

IMG00290-20100812-1144.jpg

And the newest 3 seed grown. Bag seed again, but I usually don't save em unless the stuff was potent even after fertilization. (i.e. mids)

Anyway, clones are still green and the humidity level is perfect. Just around 75% in the closet under the nursery dome. Clones, clones, and more clones. And just to be sure about my methods in the future, I cut a clone without trimming the leaves... so we shall see Zen. Now officially 13 clones and 3 sprouts.

The 3 sprouts (from seed)...
IMG00291-20100812-2245.jpg

:smokin:

The other grow is coming along and photos of the buds soon. Checked em out today and the trichs are forming nicely around the colas. Starting to have the beautiful sheen and crystallization every grower dreams of. More on that in the next few days.

On a personal note, the plants are at a friends house and he is only watering every other day, in full flower?! I feel this is insufficient and the bud size proves it. We shall compare the results in a few months and I'm pretty sure my methods are solid and I will prevail in potency and yield simultaneously. The plants are from the same bag seed as the 2 unknown in the grow I'm concentrating on, so we will have direct data.

And a correction on the previous post... 11 clones and 3 sprouts (I originally said 13 but I was stoned and couldn't count)
Till then, I'll be :rollit:and :headbanger:

New pics on the girls...

Side view...
IMG00293-20100814-1424.jpg

Top view...
IMG00295-20100814-1424.jpg

Bud view...

Buds from the unknown bag seed...
IMG00294-20100814-1424.jpg

And as for the clones, I will be starting a new grow journal entitled HerbsNBuds' first clone experiment. So to all who would like to follow up on the results of the cloning, please feel free.

Hey Herbenbuds, nice grow!!!!!!!!!! I've never tried AK47 but I heard its one of the strongest strains around. Much success to you, SMOKEON, SAMWISEE.:thumb:

Great questions Zen...

I'm feeding them Fox Farm big bloom and I'm about a week and half into flower at the most. The lighting of the HPS makes the plants look a little more yellow and of course my cell phone camera didn't help.
yeah,,, there is definately a huge difference looking at your girls under a HPS or regular light,,, I though my were dying, all yellow,, then took them out of the room, and they were green and healthy..lol

As far as cutting the leaves, the theory is that the cuttings will use stored energy to grow roots and cutting the leaves or pruning promotes root growth according to a few of my sources. This is the first time I've done it but talking to experienced growers and the guy at the hydro shop, supposedly it roots em faster. They want light to produce usable sugars so they need leaves. To get leaves, they need nutes and the nutes come from the roots. So in theory, it should promote root growth.
good theory,, I wll be interested in your results... that is a reason I stopped giving a dose of nutes (low dose) in the nursery,, I figure if you ive them everything they need to grow,, they will,,lol,, so I only give water and rhiz (a root growth promoter) and that is it...

For the last question, the rapid rooters came in the nursery as a package and they are made from compressed tree bark. They will be fine according my hydro guy if not used in this grow. I was thinking of taking em out, but for $12.95, I really don't care. Plus when I get my new Aurora Indica seeds next week, they will go right in the empty spots after germ.

I like to experiment so if it doesn't work this way, so be it, and I'll try again but of course thanks for the input.
lol.. I keep mine in a ziplock,,

New bud photos! Hopefully a little more clear than the last couple.

The 3 together... man I'm starting to salivate!
IMG00288-20100812-1143.jpg

The next 2 are just buds that are healthy and growing...
IMG00287-20100812-1143.jpg

And the newest 3 seed grown. Bag seed again, but I usually don't save em unless the stuff was potent even after fertilization. (i.e. mids)

Anyway, clones are still green and the humidity level is perfect. Just around 75% in the closet under the nursery dome. Clones, clones, and more clones. And just to be sure about my methods in the future, I cut a clone without trimming the leaves... so we shall see Zen. Now officially 13 clones and 3 sprouts.

The 3 sprouts (from seed)...
IMG00291-20100812-2245.jpg

:smokin:
these images got blown,, I think you linked to them before processing your uploads..
420 Magazine Medical Marijuana Cannabis Hemp Photo Gallery - 420 Magazine Photo Galleryuploads/80823/IMG00291-20100812-2245.jpg

The other grow is coming along and photos of the buds soon. Checked em out today and the trichs are forming nicely around the colas. Starting to have the beautiful sheen and crystallization every grower dreams of. More on that in the next few days.

On a personal note, the plants are at a friends house and he is only watering every other day, in full flower?! I feel this is insufficient and the bud size proves it. We shall compare the results in a few months and I'm pretty sure my methods are solid and I will prevail in potency and yield simultaneously. The plants are from the same bag seed as the 2 unknown in the grow I'm concentrating on, so we will have direct data.
I would think every other day would be enough,, depending on what he gives them each day.. I use the 'lift pot' method.. basically lift the pot, dry, and feel the weight,, that would be 0%... then water it in well,, until you get runoff.. then lift again, notice weight.., that is 100% don't water again until you are below 50% (I like to get to about 20%-25% weight before watering again)

And a correction on the previous post... 11 clones and 3 sprouts (I originally said 13 but I was stoned and couldn't count)
Till then, I'll be :rollit:and :headbanger:

I look forward to seeing your results.. :)

I love the rate at which these beauties are producing flowers. The only concern of mine is the lower leaves keep yellowing and falling off. I am also pruning some of the larger lower leaves to relieve the sites of energy consumption and focusing it on the flowers. Seems to be working.

IMG00316-20100817-1213.jpg

IMG00315-20100817-1213.jpg

Earlier planted soil-grow bag seed, doing quite well with the abundance of nutes in the mix (MG soil, MG Perlite w/added nutes, Fox Farm Big Bloom, and Sphagnum Moss). Topped all 3 today after pic was taken. Trying to keep em short and bushy.

IMG00314-20100817-1156.jpg

Gonna go :hookah: now before bed. More tomorrow.

The yellow leaves I've been talking about. In order to see em, I had to turn off the HPS and turn on the Fluoros. I've been removing em as I see em but I'm afraid of taking too many. Still have a long way to go in flowering.

IMG00351-20100819-1227.jpg

This one is the AK...
IMG00352-20100819-1227.jpg

Good news is the buds are forming nicely and are going to be pretty dense it seems. Man this really reminds me of some Afghan by the way the resin smells. All are doing so well after the clipping of the clones and healing while still producing hopefully some super massive buds.

I'm getting a little bit of light burn on the leaves of the tallest plant. Might have to move the light up a few inches tomorrow.

IMG00350-20100819-1227.jpg

IMG00347-20100819-1226.jpg

And the view of the setup (hung the flouro tubs and pointed the HPS straight down instead of the angle it had originally...
IMG00353-20100819-1228.jpg

during the first 1/2 of flower, I like to add just a touch of MG houseplant food,, (like 1/3 dose),, just to add a bit of N to help keep fans green. Once I past the 1/2 way mark,, I don't mind if they yellow out,, and I leave them until they fall off,, or fall off to the touch.

during the first 1/2 of flower, I like to add just a touch of MG houseplant food,, (like 1/3 dose),, just to add a bit of N to help keep fans green. Once I past the 1/2 way mark,, I don't mind if they yellow out,, and I leave them until they fall off,, or fall off to the touch.

I added some MG Perlite to the top of the soil. Its enriched with MG plant food so hopefully the water filters through the Perlite and soaks up the Nitrogen to give to the roots. I did think first and foremost of a Nitrogen deficiency. But as always Zen, thanks for the advice! :morenutes:

I'm getting so impatient its ridiculous. I have to keep buying these expensive ounces of great pot in order to keep a fresh supply but I can't wait to smoke these puppies. Anyone have an idea of the yield these 3 plants will produce?

The biggest one is 3 1/2 feet tall and has 2 main colas and 2 lower branches with a bud, the second biggest is about 3 feet tall, has 2 colas and 1 lower branch with a bud, and the AK-47 is 2 1/2 feet tall, has 2 colas and 2 lower branches with a bud. I can't for the life of me tell what kind of yield I will have when all is properly dried, but I'm hoping to get at least 1/2 pound (8oz) dry weight from all 3. Is that reasonable?

I think you'll be just fine. I think 7 to 8 ounces is quite reasonable with the way your plants look so healthy. SMOKEON, SAMWISEE.:hookah:

Photo update.

Under the HPS...

IMG00401-20100823-1252.jpg

IMG00402-20100823-1252.jpg

And just an update... the yellowing is still occurring but much less rapdily and only lower leaves so I think I'm ok. The 3 1/2 foot tall mama has a little bit of light burn so I tried to move it up some.You can see the curling edges.

One last post for the night...

An updated photo of the 2 bag seed plants I sprouted a couple weeks ago and the clones that sprouted roots. Also 1 Aurora Indica sprout in the top center in the photo... all sitting in a self-contained home-made hydro drip system...
IMG00403-20100823-2115.jpg

Back
Top Bottom