Hermaphrodite? Late flowering

This is not impossible. Any stress really can cause the plant to rodelize, especially if it’s in the genes. Light leaks are the number one cause by far, nothing else comes close. Heat stress is second. Then from there it’s nutrient stress, light stress, etc. Sativas are more sensitive than indicas, ESPECIALLY when it comes to light leaks, but just generally more sensitive as well.

If you can, for your next grow, start up a journal and tag me in it, I’d love to follow along!
From what I have read the "Rodelization" process is not caused by light stress, or any other stress, on the plant. It is what happens naturally when the plant has been in the flowering stage long enough to start to throw out a few male flowers as a way produce seeds to perpetuate the specie.

There was a thread running late last week about whether a couple of light leaks will really cause the female plants start showing male flowers and eventually grow seeds. A fair number of us do not have this problem. I know that if a plant starts to show those male flowers after the 3 week of flowering I will finish it and any clones from that plant and that is it. That leaves just the few plants that have male flowers late in the flowering stage. I now harvest at 8 to 9 full weeks after the flowering starts and avoid the whole thing.

Any stress really can cause the plant to rodelize, especially if it’s in the genes.

no. that's something completely different. that's a hermie.

real rodelization is not easy to achieve, and is only performed on well bred stable plants grown for the purpose. the pollen from a rodelized plant, is never used to make seed from the plant it came from. it's always used on a separate reg female of the same strain.

to be clear, rodelization for the making of fem seed only comes from reg fem plants. not from previously femmed seed. if it comes from femmed seed it is a genetic weakness. only decent reg photo fem plants are used by any respecting breeder.

everything else is just idiots bangin shit together.

From what I have read the "Rodelization" process is not caused by light stress, or any other stress, on the plant. It is what happens naturally when the plant has been in the flowering stage long enough to start to throw out a few male flowers as a way produce seeds to perpetuate the specie.

that's the gist of it. it only happens to reg fems in the absence of males under particular conditions.

I wrote out a whole semantics paragraph and deleted it, I obviously should’ve left it though lol. I use rodelize and herm interchangeably but yes, as has been explained there is a difference. To be fair though Rodelization isn’t a hard categorized science, even the name isn’t official. It’s a technique/process specific to cannabis currently, and has been said, is extremely difficult to replicate consistently.

Also to be fair, when a female plant self pollinates it’d be more appropriate to refer to is as bisexual or mixed sex as opposed to hermaphrodite hence my interchanging. However, I’m just being annoyingly semantical now lol. I’ll be sure to be a little more thoughtful with my word choices going forward.

This is interesting because I’ve read in a few separate places that stress is intentionally inflicted near the end to force it. Unfortunately the only reading I can find on the process is forums or cannabis wiki sites. I’ll tag @bluter in this response as well, perhaps he has some additional reading or resources I can check out.

There was a thread running late last week about whether a couple of light leaks will really cause the female plants start showing male flowers and eventually grow seeds. A fair number of us do not have this problem. I know that if a plant starts to show those male flowers after the 3 week of flowering I will finish it and any clones from that plant and that is it. That leaves just the few plants that have male flowers late in the flowering stage. I now harvest at 8 to 9 full weeks after the flowering starts and avoid the whole thing.

See and I’ve had this problem consistently. Light leaks have gotten me two grows in a row now. At least that’s all I can figure, everything else has been dialed in and the stamen locations make sense with light poisoning.

This time I’ve moved everything with a light outside of the tent/room. Ive dialed in my mixes, have larger (15 gallon) pots and purchased strong genetics. I’m hoping it will be enough, otherwise I’m gonna have to rethink my area. I’d prefer to stay indoors but will go back outside if I have to.

I wrote out a whole semantics paragraph and deleted it, I obviously should’ve left it though lol. I use rodelize and herm interchangeably but yes, as has been explained there is a difference. To be fair though Rodelization isn’t a hard categorized science, even the name isn’t official. It’s a technique/process specific to cannabis currently, and has been said, is extremely difficult to replicate consistently.

Also to be fair, when a female plant self pollinates it’d be more appropriate to refer to is as bisexual or mixed sex as opposed to hermaphrodite hence my interchanging. However, I’m just being annoyingly semantical now lol. I’ll be sure to be a little more thoughtful with my word choices going forward.

rodelization is a specific natural process. noted rarely in nature, and hard to replicate indoor. i know ed rosenthal or his blog company has more info on it. it's not a hermaphrodite thing.

edit : it needs a long running reg fem photo plant, late in flower, under high late summer light conditions, with the right temps, and lowish rh. and no males.

the pollen is collected and used to pollinate another reg fem photo female of the same breed. the rest of the rodelized plant is discarded. you only keep the pollen.

the seed from the second reg fem photo plant, is the rodelized fem seed.

This is interesting because I’ve read in a few separate places that stress is intentionally inflicted near the end to force it. Unfortunately the only reading I can find on the process is forums or cannabis wiki sites. I’ll tag @bluter in this response as well, perhaps he has some additional reading or resources I can check out.

it's further muddied by the fact that there are wild strains with definite hermaphrodite traits. near any thai strain will herm, even those considered landrace.

it's not a rodelization that is taking place in this instance, but a hermaphrodite trait picked up in the wild and propagated to the point the whole genome of the plant is encoded.

that is also passed on in subsequent commercial breeding for home grow.

See and I’ve had this problem consistently. Light leaks have gotten me two grows in a row now. At least that’s all I can figure, everything else has been dialed in and the stamen locations make sense with light poisoning.

This time I’ve moved everything with a light outside of the tent/room. Ive dialed in my mixes, have larger (15 gallon) pots and purchased strong genetics. I’m hoping it will be enough, otherwise I’m gonna have to rethink my area. I’d prefer to stay indoors but will go back outside if I have to.

that really sounds like genes. i do not grow with much thought to light intrusion. these things grew for millenia under full moon or close at equatorial locations. that's like 4 in the afternoon here. it's mostly genetic.

rodelization is a specific natural process. noted rarely in nature, and hard to replicate indoor.
Gonna disagree a bit with that, the reason it's rarely found in nature is because in nature, most every female plant is pollinated by a male, therefore, not many unpollinated females to rodelize. In a controlled grow, particularly indoors (where stressors are more common) it happens fairly often.

I also have some seeds from a nanner plant that was from a feminized seed, so far every seed has been female, and no nanners.

Gonna disagree a bit with that, the reason it's rarely found in nature is because in nature, most every femal plant is pollinated by a male, therefore, not many unpollinated females to rodelize. In a controlled grow, particularly indoors (where stressors are more common) it happens fairly often.

I also have some seeds from a nanner plant that was from a feminized seed, so far every seed has been female, and no nanners.

the beginning of sensi was landrace plants kept from males so no pollination could occur. they were all reg landrace. it's where it was first noted.

that's mostly jamacai and the 70's.

previous there were a few known natural hemaphrodites - thai - , but ahead of those strains, there was male reg and female reg, and that's what you grew and sorted out. nothing else.

all of this nonsense started back when sensi became commercialized.

it's why top breeders keep going back for hard reg photo landrace stock.

My buddy and I tried to force some plants to become stress hermaphrodites to get more seeds a ways back.
We tried to do it with light stress during flower. Random interruptions of the dark period, for minutes at a time, and with a couple of them a few small LEDs like you'll find on something like a dehumidifier. It never worked.
Hermaphrodite in a strict sense means something that shows both male and female sex organs, fully developed and capable of reproducing with itself. So when one or more full male flowers, petals, seals, and all appear on an otherwise female plant, that would be a true hermaphrodite. Stress causing anthers (nanners) to appear is something that all female cannabis plants are capable of as far as I've seen.
The reason feminised seeds got a bad reputation is because the first chemicals used to make them were gibberelic acid and high doses of salicylic acid, which really aren't that effective. They worked best on plants that were weak to stress, and would also respond to other stressors the same way.
Ed Rosenthal talks about the use of salicylic acid to make feminised seeds somewhere, but I can’t remember where.
I've tested seeds from the stress hermies one of my buddies keeps growing and I always got females.
When I grew seeds from one of his plants that had full male flowers, I got hermies.

Back
Top Bottom