Homer's Legal 4-Plant Max Perpetual Minimalist Garden In Ontario

I have a funny way about being funny ;)
So yes I was joking as I did know that was the same plant. Anyhow it looks like things are good and like you said, back on track. Let the fun begin. :)

I thought you were probably joking but if you were serious I didn't want to make you feel bad, lol. Yes, she seems pretty much back on track and she is getting pretty big so within a few weeks I will be flipping and see what this Gorilla can do. :headbanger:

Use isopropyl alcohol instead
I thought of that but tons of folks on the internet seem to be good with high potency ethyl alcohol including SweetSue in her demo. And I know it evaporates but using a poisonous substance just makes me leary.

It evaporates
I know, I am not saying my fear is rational, lol. My olive oil method works really well so since this has turned into a gong show I think I will just stick with my olive method. I am still going to let the samples evaporate to see what I get out of curiosity.

I use iso Homer, then boil it off using a coffee maker hotplate with a screen and case fan over it and vent it out the dryer vent. It is a slow process that way, takes about 8 hrs to render down 250ml but decarbs and is not hot enough to burn it.

Iso costs me about $30 a gallon at the feed mill and a quart will yield me 10 to 15g of clean thick oil from about 100g bud.

I use iso Homer, then boil it off using a coffee maker hotplate with a screen and case fan over it and vent it out the dryer vent. It is a slow process that way, takes about 8 hrs to render down 250ml but decarbs and is not hot enough to burn it.

Iso costs me about $30 a gallon at the feed mill and a quart will yield me 10 to 15g of clean thick oil from about 100g bud.
I do have a couple of hotplates I could use in my garage so I may try it with iso but I don't have any iso and being in lockdown I won't be going shopping for a few weeks but I am curious if it will work so I may pick some up. I appreciate all the input guys.

I always used ISO for my extractions.
It is encouraging you both use iso successfully. I will pick some up next time I shop. It is weird ethanol alcohol doesn't work for me extracting weed when so many claim it does all over the internet. Homer stikes again, D'oh.

I don’t drink, just vape my weed.
In the old days when I smoked a lot of weed, I hardly drank at all myself but I find taking it orally just doesn't give the same euphoric effect so I drink moderately once a week now. I just don't want to put my worn-out lungs through constant smoking but I wish taking it orally gave me the same kick in the head smoking does. Part of the reason I wanted to try a tincture was I hoped but didn't really expect it would be more like smoking it. If I knew I didn't have long to live I would be smoking like a fiend, lol. :headbanger:

Try vaping, it works for me
From the research I did, basically they say vaping marijuana might expose you to fewer toxic ingredients than smoking it, but it's far from harmless. Besides that I had bronchitis as a kid and besides being a millwright I was a welder and spent most of my career in dusty steel mills so along with smoking a lot of weed in my younger days my lungs are pretty worn out.

I wheeze and every time I get a cold it goes right to my lungs and I cough for about a month afterward. I miss that feeling from smoking but I went 18 years without any cannabis in any form and I would just rather go without now than make my lungs worse. Besides I know from my past once I start smoking a little bit it won’t be long before I am totally fried all day every day and I just don’t want to go back to that. I cannot regulate my smoking, for me, it’s all or nothing.

Ok cool, something to keep in mind
Yes, to each his own. Also for the last 30 years, I have had a recurring tickle in the back of my throat that makes me cough and I know it is from my days from smoking weed. Today I cut the lawn and when I was done it just wouldn’t go away and I had to take a throat lozenge. That has a lot to do with why I don’t want to get back into smoking. I am always clearing my throat and coughing because of that tickle and I know it’s from smoking. And no inappropriate jokes about the tickle in the back of my throat, LOL.

Hey Homer, I use grain alcohol then to save your alcohol I bought cheap distiller off Zon for 135. I run it through and get more than 3/4 back to use next time . I've run 6 batches before i burn it off and buy more.
I actually distill my own alcohol and I considered rigging up some kind of recovery condenser but since I don’t seem to be extracting any oil with ethyl alcohol I don’t really see the point. I think I will try using rubbing alcohol like Penny and Celt suggests or I might just stick with olive oil. Thanks for the input anyways.

The first partly evaporated test sample here I soaked for five minutes and the second one for 17 hours and surprisingly there doesn’t seem to be much more resin in the 17 hour one. There is a fair amount of resin in each but considering there is a quarter ounce of bud in each and how high I got from my smoke test from the bud that was washed I think a lot is left behind. Even though it didn’t work really I do find it fun to dicker around like this experimenting.

5 Minute Soak
5 min .jpg

17 Hour Soak
17hrs.jpg

I don't know how easily the tin foil will release the oil. Rosin, and I think solvent extractions stick to just about everything, and are hard to remove. Exceptions seem to be silicone and teflon. If you have problems with it, you might consider a silicone baking dish, storage container, or cupcake inserts for your next run.

I don't know how easily the tin foil will release the oil. Rosin, and I think solvent extractions stick to just about everything, and are hard to remove. Exceptions seem to be silicone and teflon. If you have problems with it, you might consider a silicone baking dish, storage container, or cupcake inserts for your next run.

Yes, I agree. I looked around the house and just didn’t have the right kind of containers and since I only leave the house about once a month to shop I didn’t want to go and get something but if I do try it again I will try and come up with something better.

I was thinking if I held it about a foot above the heating element on my stove it might soften the resin up enough so I could scrape it with a credit card. I can see that going awry though, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom