Homer's Legal 4-Plant Max Perpetual Minimalist Garden In Ontario

Here is my last surviving cutting of Chemdawg which as Penny says is a very difficult strain to root. I hadn't given up on her but I haven't been too hopeful because after an initial successful cutting I think I have done 10 or more unsuccessfully.

IMG_7047.JPG

So I was pretty shocked but thrilled to see a whole bunch of roots this morning peeking through. I tried a lot of methods with this stubborn strain but what finally was successful was just mostly using my old original method. I just kept it in the humidor under the dome until I saw roots spraying it twice a day and feeding it a little bit of 2.5 g per gallon MC. That is a relief. Now that I have a third-generation successful clone I think I will turn this plant into a bonsai mother plant. :party:

IMG_7048.JPG

Always lots of garden drama because this kind of makes up for the fact my first Super Lemon Haze seed seems to be a dud.

Here is my successful Chemdawg cutting on a perch showing off her new roots.

IMG_7061.JPG

And here she is nestled into her new home.

IMG_7068.JPG

I'm really happy about her surviving but my new seeds don't seem to be doing too well. My Super Lemon Haze hasn't even cracked after about a week and the 1:20 from Dr. Seeds has developed a small taproot but it seems to be in a state of suspended animation because it isn't growing.

So I am kind of on hold till I know what my seeds are going to do but that's okay. I'll give them a little longer. With my successful Chemdawg cutting, I actually don't need two new varieties.

Hope all is well with everyone. :ciao:

Hello Homer, Great Yield of Amnesia, buds look great, will be doing a little more research on Silica in the garden, you definitely need something with those tall Hybrids. Glad that one of your clones as managed to grow some roots and is going to be a Mother. Will be checking in to see how your new seeds turn out and your laying over plant turns out.
Got a Question for you and your crowd:
Received some free seeds on last purchase, pack of 3 Fem seeds Jack Herer. Only 2 were successful. One was a super stretcher and vigorous grower and showed male flowers while in 18/6 veg after only 21 days. Is this a Autoflower male? Is it possibly a Photoperiod Male? Im hoping autoflower.Not much information on whether a phot male needs to be put into 12/12 for it to start to flower in a male way. Cheers

Hey, BudShark. Yes, I am pretty happy with my Amnesia plant and since it is pretty much dried out to about 60% I think I will be making some tincture from it sometime soon and check it out.

I have been experimenting with my silica additive but somehow I misread the directions and was giving it the maximum I thought they prescribed which was 2 1/2 mL per gallon but upon rereading it I find the maximum is only 1 g per gallon.:oops: Hopefully, that explains some leaf yellowing on my Chemdawg that should be ready in a few weeks. And yes, I am thrilled about my surviving Chemdawg cutting and that I found a viable system for difficult cuttings. My Super Lemon Haze seed hasn't even cracked and my 20:1 is stalled which got me thinking maybe they aren't warm enough. I checked it out and although I keep my thermostat at 75°F at the part of the room where they are apparently it's only 69 to 70°F. So I put a small heating pad under the plate to try to warm them up a bit and I have a battery of thermometers with alarms so I don't cook them.

IMG_7069.JPG

I’ve been thinking of trying some Jack Herer myself but to answer your question it sounds to me you have an auto-flowering male. If it was a photo-period under 18/6 it should not have flowered. I have never grown a photo-period male but I would assume it would react to the light the same as a female photo-period.

Penny was telling me that Chemdawg strain that he had came from a cutting from an original mother that was almost 30 years old so I think photo-periods will last indefinitely under 18/6.

Homer...I grow organic soil with heavy silica additive. My stems always hold massive buds...never a stake needed. Not sure how to translate to hydro/drain systems for liquid silica.
Thanks, cr8grow. Encouraging to hear about your silica additive experiences. Now that I figured out my dosages hopefully I should be getting some sturdier plants. For a few feedings, I was giving them 2.5 times the max. :oops:

My first generation Chemdawg from Greenhouse Seed Company is now eight weeks and three days into bloom. Falling over and laying on the table for a couple of weeks doesn’t seem to have bothered it at all but I am getting some yellow leaves which I figure is pretty much my fault; I managed to get confused whether I raised my Mega Crop nutrients .5 or 1.0 g per gallon and then when I added silica I misread the label and gave it 2.5 times the maximum dose. D'oh! :oops:

IMG_7070.JPG

I checked her under the microscope and I see lots of clear and just a hint of amber so I would say she has a week or two to go. Now that I have her nutrients dialed in again hopefully she should get to the end without any problems.

WIN_20210124_16_49_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210124_16_54_42_Pro.jpg

Yesterday when I posted pics of my Chemdawg that is getting close to harvest I neglected to show any bud pics so today I am making up for that omission. I'm pretty impressed with the way it has frosted up because it looks similar to my frostiest previous strain which was Bruce Banner.

IMG_7074.JPG

IMG_7076.JPG

IMG_7079.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG

Good Day, Homer, You got that tincture honed in! Your Lucky your laying and lazy Chemdog didn't stand to attention with that dose of Silica, tricombs applenty. Cannot wait to see Super Silver Haze, she will get tall I thinks and might need a little silica not sure about the 20:1. Lol Your minimalist nature does not reflect well in this seed germination technique that looks to be based on a Banking vault system. Lol She will get her done, hope you turned down the alarm, just a bit.

Thanks for your reply to my question,

I have done some looking around the web to try to clear up some questions without any definite proof, I agree with you about reaction of photo to 12/12, male phot same as female photo. I also found an article from a Pollenpusher who referred to a Male plant that was his best pollen maker, he kept Him as a Mother in Veg Mode which reinforces what Penney was saying. Will Keep an eye on the Female Herer that was in same pack to see what she does, autoflower or veg. These seeds could have also been taken from a bin of Herer Regular Seeds and put into a Feminized Photo pack, likely. If this seed is a 1 percent Male from a feminized seed F1 and does not show any Hermie Signs, she must be very unique and rare, I am wondering, if this is the case, would the pollen gathered from this F1 Seed be all feminized.
Cheers

Good Day, Homer, You got that tincture honed in! Your Lucky your laying and lazy Chemdog didn't stand to attention with that dose of Silica, tricombs applenty. Cannot wait to see Super Silver Haze, she will get tall I thinks and might need a little silica not sure about the 20:1. Lol Your minimalist nature does not reflect well in this seed germination technique that looks to be based on a Banking vault system. Lol She will get her done, hope you turned down the alarm, just a bit.

I have done some looking around the web to try to clear up some questions without any definite proof, I agree with you about reaction of photo to 12/12, male phot same as female photo. I also found an article from a Pollenpusher who referred to a Male plant that was his best pollen maker, he kept Him as a Mother in Veg Mode which reinforces what Penney was saying. Will Keep an eye on the Female Herer that was in same pack to see what she does, autoflower or veg. These seeds could have also been taken from a bin of Herer Regular Seeds and put into a Feminized Photo pack, likely. If this seed is a 1 percent Male from a feminized seed F1 and does not show any Hermie Signs, she must be very unique and rare, I am wondering, if this is the case, would the pollen gathered from this F1 Seed be all feminized.
Cheers
Hey, BudShark.

Yes, you are right about my tabletop Chemdawg plant because I wasn’t sure if I should even give it any silica but it didn’t spring to attention so I think it’s a bit late in life for that. Looking forward to the Super Lemon Haze also but so far the seed hasn’t even cracked but hopefully the addition of heat will help.

I did go overboard with the seed germination technique but in my minimalist defense, I already had the thermometers so I didn’t spend anything which is of paramount concern. I have my alarm set for 78° but I managed to get the side of the dish where the seeds are stabilized at 76°F by adding layers between the dish and the heating pad and they seem pretty happy there because the 1: 20 has started growing again after almost 10 days being pretty much stunted at 69°F. Hopefully, that means the Super Lemon Haze may still be viable but I’m not taking any bets on it.

I would think it could be a regular seed that found its way into a feminized pack but whatever it is I would say it is an auto-flower or it would not have flowered under 16/8. I tried to unsuccessfully reverse a plant myself so I know a little about it and I know you can take a female plant and spray it with that silver stuff and you will end up with a male plant with female pollen but I don’t know how you would get a male seed from that with female pollen? So I’m not sure the pollen would be feminized with that seed. Again I’m just totally guessing but that would be my guess.

Here is my 1:20 seed that has finally perked up with the addition of heat.

IMG_7093.JPG

IMG_7089.JPG

I added a PWM (pulse width modulation) controller to my heating pad because the temp drifted upwards a bit and I figure if I added more cloth between the plate and pad I would just be wasting electricity and it's a pretty ham-fisted adjustment approach so instead I wired this thing in and it looks like I am using less than half as much power with a lot more control because I also have my Kill-A-Watt meter hooked up so I know exactly how much my adjustments are in Watts so I don’t chase my tail.

I had all this stuff laying around so I didn’t buy anything but since my seed perked up so much with one day of heat I figured I will do my seeds this way for the foreseeable future so I think it’s worth it.

Besides my minimalistic approach is not to eliminate things that are necessary instead to identify what is necessary and what isn’t and to only eliminate the unnecessary. I don’t think it contradicts being a minimalist grower to add procedures that significantly benefit the plant and seeds not dying seems to fit that description to Homer. :thumb: But to each his own.

IMG_7096.JPG

Here is my 1:20 seed in a pic that I took this afternoon showing some pretty remarkable taproot growth.

IMG_7109.JPG

Here is a comparison of her less than 24 hours ago. I find this pretty remarkable since I dropped this seed two weeks ago today and it has doubled its tap roots size in less than the last 24 hours. It looks like adding heat is very beneficial for seedlings. I went from 69°F to about 76°F and it made all the difference in the world.

n.jpg

And my Chemdawg rooted cutting seems even happier in her new home today and is looking spry and energetic thankfully. I got the soil a little too moist accidentally so I'm glad to see it isn't bothering her. I'm especially happy I kept this strain alive after seeing what a nice frosty budder she is; can't wait to test her out when I harvest the first generation plant of the strain in a few weeks.

IMG_7101.JPG

Here are my two Chemdawg plants in the flowering room. The fallen hero on the left is only a week or two from harvest so I have it under the full spectrum Blurple but the one on the right I have the light on veg mode which is much redder in colour and it has been doing a wonderful job of keeping the internodal distance short so I don't get too much stretch.

Once the younger plant stops stretching I will put it under the Megalight. I learned from Dr. Bruce Bugbee in one of his videos that red light makes shorter plants and my experience agrees with his conclusions. The first generation plant on the left was stretching about 3 inches every two days under regular light in early bloom but the one on the right has barely even grown 3 inches in the few weeks it has been under the red light.

IMG_7098.JPG

Hope everyone is well. :party:

I added a PWM (pulse width modulation) controller to my heating pad because the temp drifted upwards a bit and I figure if I added more cloth between the plate and pad I would just be wasting electricity and it's a pretty ham-fisted adjustment approach so instead I wired this thing in and it looks like I am using less than half as much power with a lot more control because I also have my Kill-A-Watt meter hooked up so I know exactly how much my adjustments are in Watts so I don’t chase my tail.

I had all this stuff laying around so I didn’t buy anything but since my seed perked up so much with one day of heat I figured I will do my seeds this way for the foreseeable future so I think it’s worth it.

Besides my minimalistic approach is not to eliminate things that are necessary instead to identify what is necessary and what isn’t and to only eliminate the unnecessary. I don’t think it contradicts being a minimalist grower to add procedures that significantly benefit the plant and seeds not dying seems to fit that description to Homer. :thumb: But to each his own.

IMG_7096.JPG
Homer, you are def original in your approach, I love it. I am not electronically inclined but if I was maybe I would use all at hand to make the birth of my little ladies as comfy as possible. You do amass allot of electronics over the years, I have a full box down under the stairs. Cheers Very Original

How is the Super Silver Haze doing. ?Spent all day yesterday trying to figure out the best way to contain the Male Pollen in my closet, looker her over with a magnifying glass and a few small pollen sacks have discharged there pollen, majority is not ready. I will collect and save for next run of AutoFlowers. I am not sure that Jack Herer is the best male for breeding but will give it a go on a few branches, grow them out and rate the product. Cheers

Hello Homer, I thought Blue Light kept the plants from stretching and reduced the internodal space. But I would not argue with Prof Buxby or you about this, proof is in the pudding. Cheers

Homer, you are def original in your approach, I love it. I am not electronically inclined but if I was maybe I would use all at hand to make the birth of my little ladies as comfy as possible. You do amass allot of electronics over the years, I have a full box down under the stairs. Cheers Very Original
Thanks, BudShark, glad you appreciate my approach because many do not, LOL. And yes I definitely have more than one box of old electronic stuff most of which I will probably never use but you never know so there they sit.

I haven’t included any pics of the Super Lemon Haze because it still hasn’t done anything. It’s been over two weeks and it hasn’t even split yet but I will give it a few more days in the paper towel with the heat applied just in case.

I was diagnosed as being allergic to pollen when I was a kid so I also was pretty serious about trying to keep it out of my house so when I tried reversing one of my plants I put a big bag over it and then pumped air into the bag with an aquarium pump and it worked okay. I taped a couple coffee filters to the bag so air could escape but pollen couldn’t. The only problem was it didn’t produce any pollen but I collected all the sacks that fell off the reversed plant. Here’s a pic. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Jack Herer for a breeder because it is a pretty respectable strain from what I have read.

IMG_4762.JPG

And yes, red light does keep plants short and if people don’t want to believe me they should at least believe Dr. Bugbee. I highly recommend his videos especially the one on increasing your yields.

I was going to leave my 1:20 seedling under the paper towel with heat applied to it for a few more days but checking it today I noticed it’s getting some fine hairs on its taproot therefore it started sticking to the paper towel so today I decided to plant her in ProMix HP. Here she is right before planting.

IMG_7113.JPG

Cheers. :party:

Cheers
Way over my head but enjoying approaches for future grows...cheers

Way over my head but enjoying approaches for future grows...cheers
Happy you think my approaches may be useful in future grows but as far as over your head, I didn't know much about growing till I signed up here at 420 forums and was exposed to these great resources and knowledgeable growers here many who have forgotten more than I know. Even a Homer can become an expert here just by hanging around. Besides, I am retired and in lockdown so I have all the time in the world to come up with things to try out in the garden. Keeps me sane or sane-ish. :oops:

Hello Homer, Your 1:20 is in the ground, in a good way.! Do you still have some Super S Haze seeds left.? I don't think your life support system is going to bring her back, 2 weeks seems like a long time, the longest I wait is 5 days, then, down the drain. I like your system for containing your pollen and letting it breathe and also receive light with clear plastic. I have a full plant and will def look for some huge clear plastic bags next time out.
I am going to go ahead and pollinate some autos with the Jack Herer, it's here and I will go with it. Got some autos Phoenix from Seedsman, Good Shit, Outdoor, Super Kush and Big Yield. These will be getting Jacked up. How are you finding the tinctures with Sativa Hybrids compared to the indica strains. My plan was to Self these auto's with colloidal silver. Its a shame to alter the genetics of these plants, as autos they grow great, yield good and hardly smell, very potent smoke as well. Grew the same plants last summer. Cheers Got the News about You Know Who

Hello Homer, Your 1:20 is in the ground, in a good way.! Do you still have some Super S Haze seeds left.? I don't think your life support system is going to bring her back, 2 weeks seems like a long time, the longest I wait is 5 days, then, down the drain. I like your system for containing your pollen and letting it breathe and also receive light with clear plastic. I have a full plant and will def look for some huge clear plastic bags next time out.
I am going to go ahead and pollinate some autos with the Jack Herer, it's here and I will go with it. Got some autos Phoenix from Seedsman, Good Shit, Outdoor, Super Kush and Big Yield. These will be getting Jacked up. How are you finding the tinctures with Sativa Hybrids compared to the indica strains. My plan was to Self these auto's with colloidal silver. Its a shame to alter the genetics of these plants, as autos they grow great, yield good and hardly smell, very potent smoke as well. Grew the same plants last summer. Cheers Got the News about You Know Who
Hopefully my 1:20 is in the ground in a good way but I won't know for another day or so. Yes, I bought five Super Lemon Haze seeds so I still have four left and I believe you are right I don't think the thing is going to sprout after all this time.

I think anything you pollinate will work out fine as long as the parent strains are to your liking and it certainly saves money on seeds. I find my hybrid tinctures are not as sedating as my Indica tinctures but I really want to try a pure sativa so looking forward to my haze whenever I get one to pop successfully.

I have almost zero experience with autos so I'm not sure how they will react to colloidal silver but good luck.

Back
Top Bottom