How to make a DWC air pump quieter?

DrBigP

Hi guys,

Just plugged in my “quiet” air pump for my next DWC grow. It was marketed as silent, good one. This things hums sounds like a freaking grizzly bear snuck into my tent and decided to take a nap. I appreciate my silence. Please help. Oh and using a sponge method does not work, tried it. Im thinking about building a sound proof box for it any ideas of what material will be needed.

7D44C983-5201-489D-96D6-0DC154DF1835.jpeg

From my days with reef tanks/tropical fish, you may have to take the darn thing apart, sometimes the arm that holds the magnet works it way up a little (or wasn't installed quite right). The arm just sits tightly in a groove, and if it's too high or too low it will sometimes rattle. They are pretty simple devices, just an alternating current that pulls the magnet back and forth, and a simple set of one way rubber valves (which by the way can be easily replaced if it starts to lose eficiency). I see a knob on top of the unit, if that turns, it can increase/decrease the amount of air generated, sometimes messing with that will quiet it down a little.

I’d like it to not be heard completely, like build a box around it. It does go quieter when I turn the nob but it makes less bubbles. Less bubbles = bad for roots right?

Over the years, I've probably had 30 air pumps of various sizes and brands, none of them are "silent", regardless of their claims. Get a real good airstone at a pet store, the finer the bubbles the better they aerate the water. A box is your only option.
Thanks man, any other tips on bubbles for instance I’m planing to have the air stone in the middle and around the bottom of the bucket a air flexible diffuser. Like this one in the pic. I’m probably gonna need 2 pumps or run this one on max. So I’ll probably build a box for it!

E87AB72F-E462-4F43-8967-F84DF9BB81B5.jpeg

Thanks man, any other tips on bubbles for instance I’m planing to have the air stone in the middle and around the bottom of the bucket a air flexible diffuser. Like this one in the pic. I’m probably gonna need 2 pumps or run this one on max. So I’ll probably build a box for it!

E87AB72F-E462-4F43-8967-F84DF9BB81B5.jpeg
That should work really well, as long as it doesn't need too much air pressure.

If you want silent get an o2 emitter.

2020-2emitters.jpg
Unavailable, tried, lucky I didn’t get this, what happens when it needs to be replaced, nothing lasts forever, and at that price it becomes a problem. But thanks

Unavailable, tried, lucky I didn’t get this, what happens when it needs to be replaced, nothing lasts forever, and at that price it becomes a problem. But thanks
I bought mine 4 years ago for $160 and haven't even taken the second emitter out of the package yet.
First one is still like new.
So for me at least it should last the rest of my life.

But I am only just super oxygentating 5 gallons at a time which is 30-60 minutes a day.
No idea how long it would last in a DWC though, I'd assume a few years.

You could also make one for probably $25, make several of them.

I use a box to quiet down an air pump. The biggest issue is heat. Trapped in a box allows the heat from the pump to really build up. We lined 4 of the 6 sides with “egg carton” foam. Then cut a vent in one end, and mounted a computer fan in the other to pull fresh air in through the vent and vent the heat from the pump out. You really have to try to hear the pump.

Back
Top Bottom