How's your paranoia?

The government can do it, why can't I?

It is because they don't want us realizing that they can see this data, along with knowing who we associate with and exactly how long and when we are in their presence. They know if someone new happens to visit Mr. Big... and then that person can be investigated. We are now in a surveillance state and they are desperate to figure out a way to "tag" us before we realize that our devices that we have been conditioned to never leave our side, are tracking our every move.
I understand where you are coming from but I doubt that the govt really cares whether we know or not. They want the info so they can figure out how to make more tax money off of it. We might not pay income tax and the 1/2 ounce we sold to someone but we bought new lights or new pots with the money and the store paid taxes on their income and the salesperson was paid for his or her time and they pay taxes.

Just some trivia that might fit into the discussion. We are celebrating Christmas next week. Why did Joseph and Mary travel to Bethlehem? Because it was time to honor the govt and travel to the city of the parent's birth so they could be taxed.

Let's talk real paranoia. There is another important data point that is being tracked, and one that is not talked about very much, because they really don't want us to know that they are doing this. They know who we gather with.

I always thought it would be cool to have an app that showed me all the active cell phones around me, like in a bar. Or, an app that alerted me when a particular person entered a specific space. The government can do it, why can't I?

this is the exact data most commonly used here when investigating and prosecuting small growers was a thing. local enforcement is super pissed about it as their arrest and conviction rate dropped a massive amount. they would target one individual as a wedge, then confiscate the phone data and connect the dots to others.

the local hydro shops even had a don't phone policy they would tell their regular customers about.

rolling up the home growers used to happen like clockwork, once in the fall, and once in the spring. april - may, and sept -oct used to be nervous months.

As someone trained in marketing I understand the value of all of this data. I had a course in my post graduate work that studied the ethics of marketing. The general consensus is that as long as the data remains granular, in which it never goes to the fine point of identifying any single individual, then it is ethical to collect and use this data to better understand market trends and how people en mass, think. This allows producers to better respond to what the consumer actually wants.

the issue is the data is collected at the single individual. it's super easy to parse back to that if you want to. ethical companies have no interest in it, but anyone else capturing the data can get to that point amazingly easy.

i remember the ethics being discussed surrounding this. i also have a marketing diploma.

just a quick mental health check in .. :p

now it's legal here, and really no one gives a crap what you're up to.

boy i'm glad all that's gone now.

i'm curious how everyone else feels, and how comfortable they are with others knowing our passion, or how discrete.
not everyone can enjoy legality either.

is there anything you are super careful over ? chime in with what you are comfortable with, or not comfortable with. :)
I'm in a legal for rec state. The state left it open to localities to choose to "opt in" and collect taxes.

My community opted out and we have every fast food joint known to merica. Selling REAL poison.

I see that as this:

"weed might be legal in this state, but not in my county. You're not going to need that card where you're going."

I'm where I was 40 years ago and staying strong.

Head down make friends love everyone.

Let's talk real paranoia. There is another important data point that is being tracked, and one that is not talked about very much, because they really don't want us to know that they are doing this. They know who we gather with.

I always thought it would be cool to have an app that showed me all the active cell phones around me, like in a bar. Or, an app that alerted me when a particular person entered a specific space. The government can do it, why can't I?

It is because they don't want us realizing that they can see this data, along with knowing who we associate with and exactly how long and when we are in their presence. They know if someone new happens to visit Mr. Big... and then that person can be investigated. We are now in a surveillance state and they are desperate to figure out a way to "tag" us before we realize that our devices that we have been conditioned to never leave our side, are tracking our every move. First we are seeing facial recognition everywhere... even in the ball stadium you frequent. The scariest person to an authoritarian state is someone who is unidentified. A wise person realizes that they would love to implant a chip in us to make this all very easy. 1984 is here... we have just been conditioned not to notice it.
New York State has an app that you can download that will alert you when someone that recently tested positive for covid is within 6 feet of my cell phone.

They can watch us anywhere we carry a device that "reports back" to the central office whatever that might be.

I do know these few things:

cannabis is a schedule 1 drug = federal government
DEA - Drug Enforcement Agency = agency responsible for finding schedule 1 drugs
FBI - Federal Bureau of Investigation = strong arm of the federal government
War on drugs is still going on
People are still being arrested for weed.
There's a green rush going on, some people are greedy and will steal or kill you for money and your weed. This goes back to DEA and schedule 1.

The DEA would LOVE to use metadata to find the weeds.

The local county sheriff (65K people in our county) have 5 drug sniffing dogs. They ride around in the police cars with the windows down. They arrested a local guy for growing weed - they used this "excuse" to enter his home "A request to check the welfare"
Look that up where you live. The police can use that excuse to enter your home without a warrant.

With cannabis growing and dogs that can smell it. Fuck yeah I'm paranoid.

Then there's this:
"In this Finger Lakes county (Livingston), which comprises 640 square miles of land, about 15% of arrests were for cannabis possession."

Compared to the average for the state of less than 5% of all arrests are cannabis related.
The last year data available from FBI.

I believe that our country sheriff is a fascist, racist and a liar and doesn't care weed has been decriminalized in our state and even legal for recreation. They are still arresting people for cannabis. It might not get to court but they take plants, weed and equipment and spend a lot tax dollars doing it.

New York State has an app that you can download that will alert you when someone that recently tested positive for covid is within 6 feet of my cell phone.
But only if the other person has opted into the system by installing the app and setting it up. If someone has tested positive but leaves their cell phone at home then there is no alert.

But only if the other person has opted into the system by installing the app and setting it up. If someone has tested positive but leaves their cell phone at home then there is no alert.
Damn.... I thought it was all inclusive or something. Sounded too good to be true actually.

Prolly better if I get an alarm when anyone gets within 6 feet of me. lol Be cool if I it would work if a cop was within say 1/2 mile or something that wood be great.

Weed back to mask wearing where ever we go now, sadly. All good humanity over-rated I'm noticing.

Damn.... I thought it was all inclusive or something. Sounded too good to be true actually.
Another thing that occurred to me was that if someone uses one of those "test at home" kits and they test positive there is no way that the phone app will work unless they manually enter that they were positive.

From what I have read, if the person tests positive at a local health department their test results become part of the statistics. It is up the health department to include the cell phone number when they enter the data so it gets added to the database for the cell phone app.

Also, the app does not help much if the person with the positive test has the app installed on a phone that they do not usually carry around with them.

just a quick mental health check in .. :p

connected devices in grow spaces came up in another thread. which touched off a side debate about whether folk trust them collecting data either about, or in the grow area.

i definitely do not. yet i am comfortable posting here, pics and all, as i know everything is privately held. plus, hey, now it's legal here, and really no one gives a crap what you're up to.

all the same i am careful with connected devices, and while i may take plant pics with my phone, they are deleted or moved to another device pretty quickly. it really is a hold over from pre-legal. also i provide for four other adults, and my own licensing has always been a bit grey area even now. so i exercise a bit of discretion.

beyond tech devices, i don't even keep written notes. this is definitely a hold over from pre-legal. and lazy. previous, if you were ever unfortunate enough to land on the wrong side of the crowbar hotel, written grow journals could be used as evidence of an an going criminal enterprise / organized crime, and your charges would escalate exponentially. boy i'm glad all that's gone now.

i'm curious how everyone else feels, and how comfortable they are with others knowing our passion, or how discrete.
not everyone can enjoy legality either.

is there anything you are super careful over ? chime in with what you are comfortable with, or not comfortable with. :)
Very interesting Bluter! I have a low tech story. Yesterday as I cleaned up my yard of a couple inches of snow by hand, my plow guy of 25+ years came down the driveway blade down. Unusual for this amount of snow I thought to myself. He was there to get paid for last year's work, that's his billing method not mine, and suggested we barter services "like last time". Well there was no last time. I worked the conversation a little and found he grows too and gets some of the same inputs from the folks I do and they outed me to him. We're a legal state and I do keep within the law so I'm fine but I felt a bit treaded on. No one should out anybody especially in a small town like mine if only for the purpose that it's worth so much hanging around the house. I don't want to have to greet an intruder!

Very interesting Bluter! I have a low tech story. Yesterday as I cleaned up my yard of a couple inches of snow by hand, my plow guy of 25+ years came down the driveway blade down. Unusual for this amount of snow I thought to myself. He was there to get paid for last year's work, that's his billing method not mine, and suggested we barter services "like last time". Well there was no last time. I worked the conversation a little and found he grows too and gets some of the same inputs from the folks I do and they outed me to him. We're a legal state and I do keep within the law so I'm fine but I felt a bit treaded on. No one should out anybody especially in a small town like mine if only for the purpose that it's worth so much hanging around the house. I don't want to have to greet an intruder!
Interesting.... yeah I was reading up on a little history on law enforcement and how they used to find growers. They busted the grow shops and got the names/addresses of people the grow shop sold gear/nutrients too and paid a visit. smh

Interesting.... yeah I was reading up on a little history on law enforcement and how they used to find growers. They busted the grow shops and got the names/addresses of people the grow shop sold gear/nutrients too and paid a visit. smh

there was a whole code with grow shops here. you always paid in cash. i never took a receipt either.
used to be a lot of tomato talk too.

Paranoid! Whose paranoid? I’m not paranoid! Who said I’m paranoid??????

it's just so much better now. i gave my boss some topicals for christmas. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom