Ill Vibes' Redemption Grow - 388 Watt LED - 2 x Papaya - Indoor ScroG - DWC

illvibes

Hey all and welcome to Ill Vibes' Redemption Grow! Here's the essential setup to get you all started:

Grow Tent: Apollo 36"x36"x72"
Light: MARS II 900, ~388W LED Panel {claimed 450W HPS equivalence}
Genetics: Papaya (Jack Herer x Skunk#1) (Indica dom.)
Nutrients: Botanicare Kind synthetic nutrients
Reservoir: 17 gal tub

This is a single reservoir, drip/DWC indoor hydroponic grow. I'll likely ScrOG these plants to get a nice even canopy with rich top buds, and so I'll probably top the two a little after their 5th set of serrated leaves come in. I'm using the GLR (Gas Lantern Routine) light cycle, which is equal to 12/5.5/1/5.5. If this is confusing to anyone, this means 12 hours on, 5.5 off, 1 on, and 5.5 off - repeat. For more information on the GLR, check out this blog entry. For a grow medium I used mostly expanded clay, but I used coco coir as a starter.

For those of you who are new to my journals, my previous grow took an unfortunate turn when I decided to combine my new, 388 watt LED and my old teeny tiny tent. Long story short, both plants in the grow became heavily stressed and burned by the intensity of my light. Due to the low height of my tent, I was unable to adjust the light to a proper height, and both plants' growth became stunted.

Since these dark times, I've bought a new tent to compliment my LED. I'm about 4 days into the new grow, and both plants are looking lush and healthy (as far as seedlings go). PLEASE learn from my mistake, and don't buy a powerful light without making sure your grow room/tent has the proper dimensions and ventilation!

Here's the first few photos for you all:

Full view of the grow. Got the updated tent which allows for lowering and raising of my LED.

Papaya 1

Papaya 2

Thanks to anyone who subscribes and follows along! Feel free to comment with tips, praise, or pretty much anything!

Awhuddup people, I just wanted to share this with you all - for those of you who saw my failed grow, I managed to save the less burned Bubblelicious by transplanting it outside. Took a little over a week for it to get over the stress, but it's really starting to thrive in its new environment. I've never grown outdoors or in soil before, so I'm not trying anything special. I'm going to try supplementing the micro-nutrients and a veg formula, but I've just been watering with hose water the past few weeks (which is pretty clean in my area) when it isn't raining.

For those of you who didn't catch the last grow, here's the last known photo of the better Bubblelicious.

And here it is today, out in my backyard. (Wish I could rotate...)

It's very easy to differentiate between the old, light-stressed leaves and the new healthy ones. The main difference is the leaf color, the new leaves are a healthy, darker green, whereas the older stressed leaves are lighter and yellowed with burned tips. You might also noticed some holes in the lower leaves where pests have chewed through. I managed to get rid of most of them by pruning a lot of damaged lower-leaves. So far none of the new growth has been touched.
Until next tiime :Namaste:

Sup everyone! Little update for you all, the grow is going well, both Papayas are looking very healthy, and extremely leafy. It's been real hot recently over here, and the tent's been ranging between low 70's some nights to mid 90's on hot days. The girls seem to have taken the heat ok, although I'm starting to see some sort of burning on a few young leaves. I checked PH which was low (~ 5.2), and adjusted it, and PPM is sitting around 950 which is fine for this stage. Roots are a flossy white, no signs of root rot whatsoever. LED is about 20 inches above plants. So the burning can either be a nutrient deficiency/excess, or due to heat stress, or due to the low PH (although I doubt it).

Papaya 1
ab1b117011a12a60abacf8e31b95ea21.jpg

Papaya 2
e0d6e67fffe844583482d68d5ad3eccb.jpg

Also, here's an update of the recovered Bubblelicious, enjoying the beautiful weather we've been having here in Oregon. She's truly thriving.
54367ca6594a9135d41ecba26fbeeee0.jpg

If anyone has any ideas about the Papaya leaf stress, pls shoot me a message! Thanks again for those of you following along, until next time! .

Sent from my iPhone using 420

In any case, here's a much needed update on the grow! Nothing real interesting has happened, all growth has been relatively steady and healthy, the only thing is I decided not to SCROG this time, I want to let the plants grow out naturally for a control group, and then attempt the same style grow using SCROG next time. The indoor Papaya girls are looking good. One is quite a bit larger than the other, which I attribute to genetics since their environment is exactly the same. Here's a pic from today, I'm letting em veg a bit longer, GLR is still in place and the girls aren't showing signs of flowering yet.
06373839af963ed94499a1054ea5c6b5.jpg

The Bubblelicious that I transplanted outdoors after it was severely burned has been flourishing, I can hardly believe it! Definitely has grown beyond my expectations, and I expect a very nice harvest, unless some fools decide to steal it from my yard (I live near Greek row, and the frat bro's are both too lazy to grow their own and have little enough respect that they would likely steal a plant if given the chance). But anyways here it is, taking over my herb garden:
74d31e79b4eb49c2295ae92667d9e29d.jpg

Some quick information on watering and nutrients for the plants.

For the Bubblelicious outside, I've been watering every one or two days in the evening. Every other watering I use Botanicare's Grow and Base nutrient formulas diluted to ~900 ppm in a gallon of hose water, which itself contains ~50 ppm of dissolved solids. Other than that, I don't do anything to Bubs. The soil is about 2/3 peat moss and 1/3 perlite, although I won't be using peat moss again, because the process of procuring peat from bogs is unsustainable, and releases trapped gasses into the atmosphere. I'm switching to coconut based soil mix.

The indoor Papayas, I top off to ~10 gallons of hose water, again with a Botanicare's Grow and Base formulas diluted to ~900 ppm for vegetative growth, and add hydro-guard as an aid against root rot. I drain and refill the reservoir once every 2-3 weeks or so, just to flush out any excess nutrient salts and re-balance the solution.

Hey all!

I've been doing a lot of trimming and training on the indoor Papayas, and finally got a net in there to help spread the branches. I'm thinking about inducing flowering pretty soon, within the next week or two, they've been in veg for about 11 weeks now under GLR! Here's some pictures from tonight:

f073c811c0951ba1e6c6c621e28bc33f.jpg

bd558fa6667e2ff3514e20482dd163b8.jpg

bd079c6e223b2b55f42a0e81df0d1559.jpg

I'll post a photo of the outdoor Bubblelicious tomorrow, it's HUGE! I just took some clones from it this week and I'm hoping to have a couple more plants harvested by the end of the season.

Til tomorrow ...

Awww yeah people, what another wonderful day in Oregon, plenty of sun and perfect weather for growin.
First off, the Papaya, in their second week of flower, having switched from GLR to 12/12. They sprang right into flower, showing looong pistils within a few days! The GLR definitely seems to boost the transition from veg to flwr.
a028b1a75310c8a303bbe0d25717836a.jpg

0e85c70c35c87b4aba85857b44176201.jpg

Aight, now here's the outdoor Bubblelicious, what a giant! What a babe! It's climbing towards 5' 5", I can't wait to see this thing bloom, still showing small pistils but nothing like the Papaya yet.
e610ab49b7892f3474733faf27d2cd1c.jpg

I got clones from her about 4 and 2 weeks ago. The first are the 4 weekers, the second picture is of the 2 weekers, still getting over the stress and building those roots.
c890e67579610c967c50a756ec9ac7a7.jpg

532d6762e57461b01654d498f3eafd66.jpg

The grows are going amazingly, And I really hope some of this is helpful to anyone following. Please lemme know! Until next time .

Alright! I've got a flowering update for ya'll today, the indoor hydro Papaya are in bloom, and the buds are coming along super quickly, and the Bubblelicious outside is huge, as usual, but still not flowering given the season.

Here's the Papaya, first of all

8681831fd93c1796485c83657b6c2203.jpg

And some bud shots to show the growth

2c8804c222730ccbd52509a7e1adb375.jpg

a56b59deb9e6762204a93be8c3a8b8bd.jpg

Aaaand the Bubblelicious out back now about 5' 8" or so.

c5b0c157fbb2b26b82638beda6d93fe8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom