Is this a male plant?

MJ 123

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can give me an opinion on the sex of the plant in the photos below. The light's been on 12/12 for two weeks now but there was a problem with light getting into the grow room during the plants 'night' for the first week of 12/12 so the flowering stage may not be as as advanced as it might have been.

There are two other plants growing with this one. The previous grow I saw, which was also the first used female clones so sexing wasn't an issue but these have been grown from donated seeds and their sex is unknown. I've researched a lot of photos and videos online trying to get some idea of what to look for when sexing. It seems obvious enough but looking at these plants none of them seem to be showing any of the signs I'm looking for apart from what you see in the photos here so I'd love to hear some opinions.

Male50.jpg

LST_pre_3.jpg

LST_pre_2.jpg

LST_pre_1.jpg

Yeah, I did wonder about that. If that's the case would it be a good idea to cut the balls from the hermie and let it grow, keeping a close eye open for any more developing or just chop it and hope for the best with the other two? I guess the best thing would be to just chop it. It'd be easy to miss one unseen pollen sac and that's all it's take to pollinate the others.

Honestly you probably should just chop it. Once the buds get bigger the male balls could be like hiding inside a bud shooting off pollen everywhere. Then its infecting everything with its unseen nutsack of doom. Ever see the Crying Game? Dont be the star of the sequel, The Crying Cannabis Game.

Ha ok. Thanks for being the voice of reason. Not really what I'd want to do when I look at the amount of buds on the plant but probably good advice. At least it'll save on the nutes :)

Ha ok. Thanks for being the voice of reason. Not really what I'd want to do when I look at the amount of buds on the plant but probably good advice. At least it'll save on the nutes :)

Honestly I wouldnt want to take my own advice either lol. But the smart thing to do is chop her.

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate hearing your opinions.

No, not what you'd really want to see. On closer inspection however it looks like the other two plants in the the room are going the same way. Does this change things at all? Would it be sensible to leave all three plants alone to flower fully? That way the grow would not be a total loss, there'd be some smoke, albeit of a lower quality, and seeds to keep for growing more. I understand seeds from hermies are usually female but more sensitive to whatever kind of stress caused the parents to hermie in the first place. Looking at things that way it makes some sense to keep going with the grow, but on the other hand maybe it's not such a good idea to have a load of pollen filling the grow room. I wonder how long pollen remains viable for. The floor of the room is not sealed with anything, just sanded floorboards so pollen could easily sit in the cracks waiting for the next group of ladies to come by. Would it be enough to just give the room a good vacuum and wipe over to get rid of any stray pollen or is it just oo risky from the point of view of future grows? Further research needed here I think.

It seems a waste to kill all three if they're all going to pollinate eachother anyway. Better get a load of seeds and some smaller buds than nothing. What do you guys think?

Some more photos from the other two plants below.

Fim_ball_1_crop.jpg

Fim_ball_2_crop.jpg

Fim_ball_3_crop.jpg

LST_balls.jpg

Thanks wakenbak. The male parts are mostly confined to near the tops of the plants and yes the surrounding foliage looks pretty healthy. Lower down though there has be quite a bit of yellowing and leaves dying off. The plants have been fed every second or third watering with Bio Bizz Grow while veging, starting with 1ml/litre and rising gradually to 5ml/litre and left to dry out for a few days in between. In the lead up to flowering Bio Bizz Bloom was introduced and they've been getting 5ml/litre of that for the last couple of feeds so I'm assuming they've had sufficient feed and wondered if they might benefit from some additional lighting from the side. There are reflective screens surrounding the plants and they seemed to be enough for the previous grow. Maybe the stress caused by whatever brought on the yellowing also caused them to hermie. Interestingly where the plants had yellowed and shed leaves there has been a fair bit of new growth coming through with lots of bud sites so I think you're right in saying they're pretty healthy.

The learning continues :)

I think what you do now is your call as they are all 3 hermies.

You can either scrap them and start fresh. Or let them do their thing, try and keep picking off the balls and nanners.

The seeds from this while yes they would/should be fem seeds, I doubt are the type of seeds you want. They would most likely be highly susceptible to going hermie themselves, after all their parents went hermie and genes carry down from parent.

Next grow I would suggest going with a really stable strain. One that is not prone to hermie.

I'm tempted to just let them grow and see what happens, out of curiosity if nothing else, it was just the risk from residual pollen left in the room when the next occupants come to flower that was concerning me. How much danger is there of pollinating the next girls with the old pollen?

In that case I think these plants just won a reprieve. they can carry on growing for a few more weeks and well see how much bud comes off them. They'll be watched carefully and any balls removed. If any go un noticed hiding in buds then that's just the way it goes. My friend has some plants that've been veging outside which are going to replace the current ones are done. Just need to make sure everything's clean first.

Thanks for all your advice guys :) I'll post back and let you know the outcome.

Don't waste your time on any Hermie, waste of your time in my mind. :rip:
I'm tempted to just let them grow and see what happens, out of curiosity if nothing else, it was just the risk from residual pollen left in the room when the next occupants come to flower that was concerning me. How much danger is there of pollinating the next girls with the old pollen?

Back
Top Bottom