Janx's 1st SOG under CFL's

Any ideas how to cool a closet without cutting through walls or ceiling? With the door cracked and a 12in desk fan, I'm hovering between 86-89 degrees. I might add that it's 106-ish during the day and a low of 85 at night. How much temp range could I gain with a homebrew CO2 mix? Using what? The sooner I can figure this out the sooner i can show everyone what I pulled off.

I had scrapped all my plants in a rush to clean house (unexpected relatives for the weekend). When things blew over, I found a box of 18 seedlings in my office that didn't make it to the burn barrel. Although they had been in the dark for almost a week, they're doing fine. This whole problem with the heat is due to an attempt of transfering my equipment to an office closet rather than the storage room (which is passed by visitors). I didn't realize that the brick wall outside the house/closet was still too hot to touch at 1am. It's been consistantly over 105 degrees every day for weeks. In pure, stubborn hardheadedness...I reworked my other room quite a bit. The exhaust fan I use is a $12 Lowe's Bathroom fan @ 50cfm. That's weak and loud, but I only have 320 cf in the room. (4x10x8) So on that note, I had originally wired it directly into the light fixture and switch, but I had two problems with it. One: It was too close the a/c vent, so I was prob losing cool air directly. Two: The fan was too far into the room/above the reflector. So it wasn't pulling enough heat. Yesterday, I remounted the ceiling fixture, mounted the fan to a floating 2x8x18in board and hung it right beside and slightly under the 1,000w HPS. Now I'm directly removing condensed heat from the bulb area. (Yes, I know I have a fancy air-cooled hood, but I haven't been able to afford the fancy inline fan/can combo yet) Plus, that removed about 5-6 feet of excess 3in exhaust hose. I then routed the reflector wire through the preexisting hole in the wall to my toolroom. The ballast was connected to the reflector from the toolroom and it's power cord was run back through the same hole in the wall. Finally, for safety, all my power can be shut off from the growroom. (Via Timer, PowerStrip, wall receptacle) OH...after a trial run, my new temp range in the room is 68-79 degrees F. The pics will be added in a few minutes.

Room Reconfigure

Here ya go...the seedlings in the pics are actually almost a foot in the pot and the lower leaves dropped during the week without light. Either way they're flowering now. We'll see how it goes. Oh...some shameless promoting of cheap equipment that has actually held up for me. Very good reflector with nice even spread. The Timer is from Lowe's @ $20. I think it's 20amp. The Fan is a cheap bottom shelf, ceiling inset type, but it works pretty good. $8 on the exhaust hose. I think I paid about $10 for the Digi-Therm at Wal-Mart, but it was a while back. Nurseries tend to have stacks of the throw-away black pots. I think they're all 2 1/2 gal and they're $.50 each. We bleach them and they have made it through a lot.
100_13141.JPG

100_13151.JPG

100_1317.JPG

100_1318.JPG

100_1319.JPG

100_13201.JPG

100_13212.JPG

100_13221.JPG

100_13232.JPG

After being in the dark for a week, I put them under a 400MH for 3-4 days and now they are under a 1,000HPS. Just trying not to cook them before they green back up, ya know? I'll set the light down another 18 inches or so, when they start revegging. All of the nodes on the stalks look good in spite of losing the leaves. We'll be moving to Colorado in Sept. if all goes well (selling the farm), so I don't have time to start over or lose plants. I just need to keep myself in plenty of smoke through the move.

I'm allowing them to flower from here on out. I don't have any more time to veg before we move/sell the house. (Around Sept 1st) Pulled two males today and several others have calyxes showing pistils. I intend to just let them go on flowering since a week in the dark jumped started me. By the time I reveg and then flower, I'll be gone before they even COULD be harvested. Bear in mind that these were planted 4/15. They should be fine, although small, right? Possibly needing to be staked, but otherwise yielding something in time. Oh, the MH has already been packed.

Salvage Grow (What I had left)

I assume that most of us know how it is to start a grow without the LARGE sums of money required to get a decent one started. As I began this project for self-sustaining smoke, several "Sponsers" showed up. A.K.A Friends with free weed, who allowed me to devote my wife-designated weed allowance to equipment, instead. I am extremely grateful to those individuals, but apparently we all smoke more than I thought, lol. In the midst of my perpetual harvest, unexpected family caused it to be temp shut down and completely harvested (weeks early on some). So now, after a rushed and very green drying, I have reimbursed everyone, with interest. Now there's not a whole lot left....which leads me here. We're moving soon, but not before I'll be long out of smoke.
In tearing down, harvesting, etc., I missed a closed box of 18 seedlings that had sat in total darkness for one solid week. After I slowly greened them back up and gently removed all dead leaves (leaving the nodes intact). They were trasnsplanted deeply into some potting/humus/manure mix and 11 days after "finding" them, here they are. 8 were male so far.

100_13462.JPG

100_13471.JPG

100_1350.JPG

100_1354.JPG

100_13561.JPG

100_13573.JPG

I know that the plants are transpiring hard, but I can't change anything right now. Just a blessing of 100F days and 85F nights at 100% humidity. So I started semi-flooding the plants every 3-4 days. They sit in about 2 gals per tub of 1/3 strength MG Bloom. They use/evaporate all the water in about 2 days or so. I give it another day for the soil to dry down and then rewater from the bottom (flood) again. Straight water about every 3rd watering and from the top. My room temp won't come under 86F day or night. In spite of the a/c running non-stop in this heat. It blows directly into that 4 1/2x 10ft room and doesn't help....much. I already got the ballast outside the room and the exhaust fan is almost under the hood of the lamp. Without a heavy duty inline, I don't think I can do much else till we build the new house. Oh...summer doesn't actually get here until August. I spent 3 mos once, working only at night because our temp never came under 115F and it did NOT rain for those months.

Back
Top Bottom