Jdack's First Grow - Variety - DWC - 2012

Jdack

Hi! First, Thanks for visiting! This is my first grow journal, and my first grow.. love the internet!

This is a late entry, and ive been battling with a few problems already, only 2 weeks 5 days in. Most im sure is just being new to growing in general, and starting with Deep Water Culture seemed like an easy, controllable way to learn. Im finding out, that it may be easy, and very controllable once you learn, the learning curve can be fairly high. No worries about that at least here, i enjoy a challenge!

On to the facts, and info!

What strain is it?

A Variety of Blue Dream, Jillybean, Northern Lights, and a Sour Diesel/White Widow cross.

Blue Dream, and Jillybean were donated Clones
Northern Lights are seeds from a Hermed plant from a friend of a friend.
Sour Diesel / White Widow is a Pro Seed, 1 of 10 (other 9 are saved incase this fails)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Unsure of any :( (i believe most are Indica)

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?

Vegetative

If in Veg... For how long?

2 weeks, 5 days

Indoor or outdoor?

Indoor

Soil or Hydro?

Hydro, DWC

Size of light?

600 watt MH / HPS Dimmable Ballast

Is it aircooled?

Yes, Light is in a "Cool Tube"

Temp of Room/cab?

Day= Steady 74-76 Degrees F,
Night= Same (Unsure why it does not drop, but hopefully wont stress plants out)

RH of Room/cab?
45-55%

PH of media or res?

Ph Fluctuates between the 5.8 i try to begin at, and all the way up to 7.0

(Using filtered tap water, standard ph of 7.7-8)

Any Pests ?
I Had spider mites, or thrips, but they have been dealt with and killed... *knocks on wood!*

How often are you watering?

Once Daily till roots were out of pots, then they eat on their own, yay

Type and strength of ferts used?

I use GH Flora Gro, Micro, and Bloom (also used some rapid root start at the beginning)

Bucket Size -
5 Gallon
Medium -
Water (rubber Mulch for stem support)
Lights -
1 85 watt cfl for Germ Station, and 1 600 watt MH and HPS Dimmable Ballast with CoolTube
Nutrients -
GH FloraGro, FloraMicro, and FloraBloom

System =

DWC, 8 - 5 Gallon Buckets, wrapped in a black trash bag, then wrapped with cheap ass tape i bought for packing (less than 25 cents a roll) ( I also cut a circular piece of cardboard to tape to the bottom of the bucket to prevent permanent rings on my tent floor)

Bucket Lids have a small space jig sawed out on the side for airline/airstone removal/entry. 6 inch hole for netpot in middle. (Lid was spray painted with a paint for plastic)

Airline is just normal aquarium airline, plastic T's, and normal small blue airstones (have been since replaced, since i ruined those for soaking in water for more than 4 days on accident, before use with airpump)
Replaced with DARK blue/ almost blue black airstones that seem to produce a bit more bubbles.

Air Pump
is a 10-60 gallon rated whisper pump, dual outlet

Ok, now that the list making is done, some explanation may be in order!

(Start of Clones)

I started with clones, clones started in soil. I stressed them hard first 2 nights by apparently not giving enough water. Lesson Learned, didnt expect any to survive. All but one did.

Very stunted growth, almost no root growth at 1 week and 5 days (i figured out that the soil was way to compacted, coupled with the stress of not enough water, in addition to being moved down a very bumpy ride home stunted them severely)

(Received Herm Northern Lights seeds, decided to germinate a few, will keep a VERY close eye on them)

After a day of contemplating how to save my very first clones i decided to transplant into 6 inch netpots with a little soil for support, and filled with rubber mulch up to first internode.
Plants skyrocketed in growth first day or two, seemingly to love the aerated soil and room for growth.

Plants also had spider mites and what looked like powder mold. i bought some strong pesticide/fungicide spray after trying multiple home remedies, including milk/water/dish soap spray (worked the best for the mold), Tobacco juice bath ( totally worked for the mites, yet didnt kill eggs) and the h202 spray, which i dont think was strong enough. Conditions cleared up rapidly after using spray. over night infact.

Initiated bucket setup 1 day later.

6-10 hours from bucket initiation something went wrong. REALLY wrong. LOTS of foam/unbreaking bubbles, and it left residue, and crust, and smelled like a bad swamp on steroids. What i mixed into the buckets -

GH Nutes, according to their simple recirculating schedule

(gro,bloom, micro, and rapidstart, and some Mycos that came with .. the germ station i think.)

i wasnt monitoring water temps at this juncture, and foam could have been caused by a number of things.
My 3 theorys =

1. Tape/Glue residue combined with the Myco's and nutes, and possibly unclean water. The tape was lipped over the edge of the bucket, and could have gotten rinsed down from bubbles/and or filling the bucket up.

2. Unmeasured Myco-whatever-zy's. They came without instructions, and i accidentally dumped the whole bag.. about 1 inch by 1.5 inch cloth like packet. I tried to even it out since it sat at the bottom of the bucket, and used the first bucket to mix all the nutes.

3. Not enough airstone action, and lack of H202 or other water stabilizer etc

Since then (about 5 days now) I have scraped the bucket system (to be reinstated when more rootgrowth is apparent) and set them up in some folgers cans (the plastic red ones, with the handles) that i empty and refil daily, with a VERY small amount of nutes (about 2.5 ml per gallon), and some h202.

I have started a sample run, or test run if you will, of my bucket system.

1 5 gal bucket, with lid, and 2 airstones. no plant. no mulch, or net pot. i did add enough nutes for 1 gallon of water (2.5 gal is used) just like i plan to start out with, so as to not overfeed. Has now been running 5 hours, water is slightly clouded, but not smelly.

I noticed a web like substance on the bottom of my net pots, and was wondering if this could be root rot? or is it those pesky spider mites, living in my roots/pot? i Dunked in a strong(20 ml to gallon) solution of water (ph stabilized to 6.0) and H202( 3%)

(btw i can see healthy looking roots poking out of the net pot, with small stubby looking "fingers" starting to grow. most are about 2-4 inches long, and only some have the fingers. all are white, and healthy looking)

( i have now germinated the SD/WW seed, and have all seeds growing in a small 1.5 inch rockwool block. turned upside down and own hole poked for the seeds, watered, and put into humidity dome at 76 degrees, with a heat mat with digital thermostat)

Ive had to scrap 4 clones now, because of various reasons.

1. Water stress at cloning stage
2. spider mite and mold damage
3. ph lockout
4. over watering

2-4 could have been a combo of all

Will have more die as time goes by, im sure.

If the bucket system does not produce foam, or smell bad, PH stays fairly stable, i will put the remaining clones into it in 2-4 days.

Im sure im missing a lot of info, and im sure some stuff is out of order. Forgive me, it is very late.. or early... I have not slept well since starting this grow, becuase of all my problems, yet i am as determined as ever. I am getting frustrated, but keeping an open mind to the learning experience, and im sure things will turn rightside up.

oh, intake/exhaust!
Exhaust - 1 200 ish cfm inline fan hooked up to a homemade window vent with uninsulated ducting, pulling air through the cooltube (cooltube has an open back, so i let that be my entire exhaust, except for an open top vent for heat escape

Intake - I recently bought a hydrofarm 400 cfm centrifugal fan, and have it set up to the window as well. It sits inside the tent, with a homemade ducting "silencer" that travels inbetween the plants, with holes in the ducting pointing at the plants ( open end is zip tied into a curl so it points at the cooltube)

1 14 inch oscillating stand up fan

Again, sorry for the mess, will try to clean it up! Will post pics as soon as lights are on

light schedule.. lol.. is a 18/6, dark period is 1-7 in the morning

quick update, bucket remained non smelly, and no foam, although semi white. prob just from nutes. Added 3 more plants to the system, own seperate buckets had planned on 2 airstones each, not enough power. 3 have 1, 1 has 2.
note. need bigger, or 2nd pump, and bigger airstones. 1/4 strength gh nutes. ran out of ph down, and h202, need to pick more up.

also decided to use the weaker plants, the runts, for some experimenting with fungicide/pesticide on roots/net pot.

germinated a royal kush seed, and decided to test straight planting in shredded rockwool, in the middle of the germination station

biggest plant is now 7 inches above mulch, fim topped her. nitrogen deficient, hopefully shes sucking up from bucket system now. seems like more hairs on roots already.

k, so, turns out the meter is uncalibrated. liquid test kit shows a varience. buckets were at or under 4.0, and above 8.0. steadied them up last night, only small variance this morning

going to rearrange in the next day or so, in a way that everything is neater, and more accessible so i dont disturb the plants as much.

most of the seedlings have sprouted, first 2 northern lights have their first set of serrated leaves.
WW/SD has sprouted, starting to right itself. Royal kush was upside down, had strong taproot, righted it, and recovered.

gave 1ml of water diluted with rapidstart to all seedlings (1ml solution to the gallon, premixed) (ph adjusted to 6.0)(distilled water)

germination station temps are ranging from 75.5-77.5

tent temps are 73-76

Contemplating making a black plastic skirt for the plants, to cover buckets. want to insulate water from heat, and to make light proof. will this hold heat in, instead of reflecting?

designing ebb and flow diy table, for other quarter of tent. maybe small folgers dwc buckets instead?

folgers cans will have 1/4 in water level, with 1/4 inch airtube for airstone. circle, fits in can nicely

white snotty algea growing, have some aquashield on the way, ph meter is a piece of shit, back to using liguid tests till i can get a decent one. seedlings are in a floating bubbler now. the royal kush has no first leaves yet, but a massive root system. white widowand the northern lights are off to a good start as well. some deformed leaves, but hopefully they will even out.

lost 2 more of the main plants, some kind of algea... settles down after a burst of h202 and a frozen water bottle.. back by the morning though. Aquashield is still in the mail. germinating 2 more seeds, og kush, and royal kush.

also, raised the bubbler foam off the water, now they are slightly above, 1/4" - 3/4"

Added a homemade bubble tube, big loop around. still have 1 airstone in middle.

decided on meter, actual GH ph down, real hydroton, and compost tea materials are the next highest priority

ps - no algea growth in any of the water bottle dwc's, or bubbler yet.. some water bottles were not even covered as test, seems no difference yet.
also, last 2 plants are so scraggly that if they dont pick up in 1 week im scrapping them, and that will be the last of the first grow.

Well all the first gen/batch are dead, im calling it a failure. ill open a new one for the current seedlings in the morning.

Learning experience, i just needed a better PH meter, proper ph down, actual hydroton, and an algea/bacteria controller. I have since ordered those, and will be starting the 2nd journal tonight infact.

more pics, that way you and the people viewing can better assist in the weekly, or even daily plant analysis. Ie. leaf color, structure, texture, posture, seration charectoristics, water temps/ levels, proper light supply and positioning, propper air flow, ect.. ect.. as im sure youre well aware there are tuns of varibales that could break down and potentially kill a crop. its nice having the people here @ 420mag.com because it like a family here, and as such we all look out for one another.. even if some of us (like myself) come off as harsh or stern. its all just from the love we all share for such an amazing and world connecting medicine. Cannabis.

best of luck with your next round, be sure to take detailed pics or note of daily conditions so that if something does look odd with your ladies you can look back to target a possible variable that could use tweaking. its faster and leave you with less rm for error.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom