Jgrowlove's 50 Fire Strain Hunt: 1000W HPS

Bobrown thanks also!! Excited to pull down my second 707 headband. This girl is DENSE. I mean from top cola to popcorn buds. I'm loving the frost and stronger citrus/funk smell this one has than the first. I guess it needed the extra week of flower to ripen up fully. The first one I pulled at 8 weeks and was great smoke bt yielded only 2 oz because the buds weren't really dense. This one has been flowering for 9 weeks and will get the extra week to fully show what she can do!
420-magazine-mobile1057254944.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1932459693.jpg

Thanks pennywise. I wish I had more space also I bet 99% of us here do. Bt u do a killer job with your space u got and I've seen some frosty buds in your journal. To me it's more about improving my skills so one day I can either teach people who want to learn the basics of growing or caretaking and growing for patients whenever my state decides they want to allow it legally. Until then I wanna find a few stable strains that are top shelf and get better at this beautiful hobby!

Im starting to lean towards landrace or pure strains, i want an indica i really like then a sativa and maybe a 50-50 hybrid and just dial those in. Oh and a good chemdog! Lol

What's up Jgrow.
I've been in a position similar to yours in regarded to you liberty haze and thought I might offer a couple options on what you could do with her. You could always remove some branches and leave a top or two so she's not hogging canopy space. I wish I would have took this path. I could have still tried the strain and had room to let the good stuff spread there arms. A reveg or a flowering clone is always possible too.. everything looks good though and there's always that one that doesn't want to follow our strict schedule. All that planning and trying to time everything perfect flies right out the window when your 9 week strain turns into a 11 week strain..

So true Twox. Follow my strict schedule vs killing a popular strain I've never tried ughh I'll probably just give her the extra time.

""Note to self'" Kripple shock is a devastating indica that puts me to sleep like no other strain I've tried. Woahh two days in a row I've woke up in full clothing wondering what the hell was I smoking last night!! Small yield bt I have another one flowering so I will put about a Oz up to cure for future testing!!
420-magazine-mobile88542254.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2103612306.jpg
420-magazine-mobile293704827.jpg

Also I cannot wait to this lemon haze. It's the strongest skunk/lemon smelling plant I've grown to date plus its colas have good density and at only 7 weeks of flowering it should be finished by 9 weeks which is perfect for my strict timeline and over stuffed veg area!
420-magazine-mobile1047666058.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1089386055.jpg
420-magazine-mobile28760299.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1405770271.jpg

HSO Amherst Sour Diesel at 9 weeks in flower standing at about 4 and a half ft ft ground. I love this plant she was healthy and produced thick smelly frosty buds that got a little purple on the top also. What else can u really ask for!
420-magazine-mobile1989711254.jpg
420-magazine-mobile29120898.jpg
420-magazine-mobile89327953.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1456395197.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1800678848.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1280628097.jpg

Also got a lemon haze coming up on 6 weeks in flowering
420-magazine-mobile375037955.jpg
420-magazine-mobile535761481.jpg

I saw your like in the other forum, was going to see if you were using an LED then saw your light power ;)

Have you used both types, I'm still trying to find a comparison?!?!

What about the number of plants under a 1000w hps compared to 1000w LED, is there room for more?

Gotta pay to play with LED... COB led tech has come a LONG way in just the last year or so. HPS is still the brightest light out there no doubt. Also its the hottest so that means efficiency is less than the new generation COB led tech. So to answer your question about straight up comparo.. you're going to get more light and also more heat (a good deal more) from the same amount of watts with HID.

That said for small indoor home gardens, I run COB VERO 29 V7 type B chips @ 3K. I'm running 1200w for 10 full size plants in flower.

Also running 20 AUTOs under 400w ....probably yield me a 20-28 zips dry on the AUTOs (they are smaller) and the full size plants I'll get average 3-4 zips dry per plant. Last plant I just trimmed was 4 zips dry... and was sooo sticky I thought it wasn't going to dry.

I could easily do the same with a 600w HID on the AUTOs but I would need more coverage than a 1K w HID for 10 full size plants. So say 2 600w would do the same as what I'm doing with the COB lamps and that's the same wattage. But more heat with the HID.

The heat is the problem for me. I can't run enough AC to keep things cool that's why I went to LED tech... had to sweat thru it tho, the early LED tech wasn't much more efficient than HID. So upping the amount of watts upped the heat too. That's all changing now tho with the new COB tech. I probably doubled my light output for the same watts and less heat.... maybe 25% less heat. On a hot day, the flower room is still hot.

4x4 I run 2 line arrays @ 300w per array... I'd probably stuff the same thing in the 3x3 too....

With the COB tech, I get higher yield that what I was getting with the blurple, plants get bigger and stretch more...and sticky... wow!

No LED is going to beat out a 1K HID.. not there yet. What lamp is in your 3x3?? I'd probably start with that and do 2 300 watt fixtures and see how it works for you. You can do a side by side too and see if its worth it to switch.

You're going to get more light with HID .. for sure. There's no shortcut and I don't care what anyone says, HID is still the best bang for the buck.

The only reason I switched was due to us going away on vacation... with automated watering & lighting. I downsize a little as far as plant counts but the lighting stays the same. The heat in the summer time kinda made me nervous with the HID. I did one run automated with HID and worried the whole time we were away. Get a runaway plant (I've had that happen more than once) grows into the lamp.

Here's where you can save, if the 3x3 you were running say a 1K lamp and switched to 2 300w fixtures you will save some electricity cost and of course heat.

Would you do as good as the HID... probably not, but it will be close.

4x4 I run 2 line arrays @ 300w per array... I'd probably stuff the same thing in the 3x3 too....

With the COB tech, I get higher yield that what I was getting with the blurple, plants get bigger and stretch more...and sticky... wow!

No LED is going to beat out a 1K HID.. not there yet. What lamp is in your 3x3?? I'd probably start with that and do 2 300 watt fixtures and see how it works for you. You can do a side by side too and see if its worth it to switch.

You're going to get more light with HID .. for sure. There's no shortcut and I don't care what anyone says, HID is still the best bang for the buck.

The only reason I switched was due to us going away on vacation... with automated watering & lighting. I downsize a little as far as plant counts but the lighting stays the same. The heat in the summer time kinda made me nervous with the HID. I did one run automated with HID and worried the whole time we were away. Get a runaway plant (I've had that happen more than once) grows into the lamp.

Here's where you can save, if the 3x3 you were running say a 1K lamp and switched to 2 300w fixtures you will save some electricity cost and of course heat.

Would you do as good as the HID... probably not, but it will be close.

Thank you Mr Brown, I can sleep tonight now instead of wrestling with the violent dilemma of HPS or LED. I did some math(s) last night and just confused myself but I think the numbers nearly match what you explained. Cheers again mate :)

I currently run a 600w hps in both of my tents bt due to heat I can only run it at 300w in my 3x3 and 450w in my 4x4. Seems to work well for the 3x3 so far bt I'm sure I could do alot more in the 4x4 bt because of heat I can't run more. The only thing I'm worried about is the distance of the canopy of the plants to the lights. I only have about 1 ft separating them in my flower tents and hope the cobs wouldn't be too close to them.

I currently run a 600w hps in both of my tents bt due to heat I can only run it at 300w in my 3x3 and 450w in my 4x4. Seems to work well for the 3x3 so far bt I'm sure I could do alot more in the 4x4 bt because of heat I can't run more. The only thing I'm worried about is the distance of the canopy of the plants to the lights. I only have about 1 ft separating them in my flower tents and hope the cobs wouldn't be too close to them.

I've got 2x600w Gavita SE in a 1.2x2.4 tent. Towards the end of my last grow some of the tops started revegging and I had my lights up as far as they could go, with the canopy fifteen inches away. It was the first time I'd used the lights and having the fresh bulbs they did, I feel they were too powerful and had to lower the level to 400w to try and get the plant to receive a different light (oh yeah and to stop it getting burnt to a crisp).

I know with hindsight I was lucky, I begged the plans quick due to time constraints and that stopped them getting as big as they might had they had longer. I would have been bending and stressing the plant too late into flowering trying to contain them :)

Back
Top Bottom