JimiGrows' Soil Blueberry - Regular - Journal - 2017 - First Grow

I was searching around and came across some sites that described the symptoms I'm seeing as related to the plant needing a bigger pot. I'm thinking this could be the case since it is the biggest by far (since I've added a lot of soil to that pot). Is there a good test for this or should I just transplant it?

On Saturday (2 days ago), I switched out my 600W MH light (running at 450W) with a VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED. Holy cow did the plants love it! I hung it 28" above the tallest plant and after a few hours all 4 perked up. I also lowered the space heater so that the tent stays in the lower 70*F range and put a heating mat under the pots set to 76*F.

Here's the time lapse where the light was replaced at 15:00 (time in lower left of image) and the plants responded around 01:00:
light_change.gif

BeforeAfter

This morning I lowered it to 24" above the tallest plant which is the manufacturer's recommended height. I just ordered a smaller 2'x2'x4' tent so that I can do perpetual grows so I'll move these little ones into it later today. After a day in their new home, I think I'll transplant them into bigger pots since the leaves are reaching past the edge of their current containers.

Since my veg tent had a shipping delay, I went ahead with the transplant to 1/2 gallon pots. Each of the plants -- even the smallest -- had roots touching the bottom. They definitely could have stayed there a while longer, but those pots dry out every two days. I was getting tired of watering them so often.

In their new home

I transferred the plants and the LED lights to the veg tent on the 1st of March. The plants have really taken off since. Bonus is that tonight was the first time I've had to water/feed in 1 week. Previously I was watering every other day. After I FIM the biggest 3 tomorrow, I'll post pictures. I've got one that has really weird coloring, growth and leaves. It doesn't look anything like the other 3.

Subbed - very interesting stuff you have going on, a bit curious about the plant stretching and bending over, my plants are vegd in a 4x4 tent with a 600 mh running at 450 and the node spacing seems tight and everything looks happy besides the slow starters, and this is with the light at max height, hard to imagine it wasn't enough light for your tent
f52f2fb72244cf431eb645f5d98ffc5b.jpg

Also another thing now that I remembered,
Why not mount your filter outside the tent so you don't have a strong vacuum drawing hair from pets or people, or pests, dust etc into the grow area? My style hood leaks enough vac that my RH is 50 percent and only temp issues for now are that they're lower then I'd like.

PS I'm still learning also and hope never to stop :)

Sent from my iPhone using 420

AKRoughneck, nice setup you got there and best wishes on your grow! I don't think I'll ever really know what happened to that one plant. When I thought about it, I don't think it was stretching due to light since the others weren't stretching. It also could have been that it was pretty dry in the tent (RH was < 35% when I checked). It could have just been a bad seed... or a combination of all those things.

As for where the filter is mounted, I don't see it making much difference. You should still be sucking air from inside the tent to outside. The only difference is whether you suck air through the filter (like I'm doing) or push it out through the filter (like you suggest). My plan is to alternate the push or pull on the filter after every couple of grows to extend its life. Either way you'd have negative air pressure in the tent which draws air and debris towards the tent. Like your tent, it has screens for intake so most of the time the only foreign materials are coming in when I unzip the tent.

Current snapshot and environmentals

Just FIM'd my biggest 2 plants. Well, I hope I FIM'd them as it looks like I just lightly mowed the new growth.

I know I said pictures were coming today, but due to a death in the family, that's not going to happen :(

Thanks MyDogSpot. It looks like your Blueberry grow went well. I don't think I'll be having that much success this time around, but I've learned tons already.

Here's my 40 day update. One of the plants is very odd. See below, hopefully someone can tell me what's wrong or if it's just a bad plant.

I've started some Sour Jack (CKS) in the Solo cups, too. I'll be putting up another journal for that shortly.

Veg Tent

Best plant (FIM'd)

Others

Weirdo. WTF is going on with this one?

Environmental Monitoring Setup

Here's my 40 day update. One of the plants is very odd. See below, hopefully someone can tell me what's wrong or if it's just a bad plant.

I've started some Sour Jack (CKS) in the Solo cups, too. I'll be putting up another journal for that shortly.

Veg Tent

Best plant (FIM'd)

Others

Weirdo. WTF is going on with this one?

Environmental Monitoring Setup

I'm not sure what's going on with the odd ball. It sure looks a lot like a few seedlings I had... they were very slow, twisted and every leaf was completely deformed and discolored. The root system was so tiny I was surprised they even was able to drink. Looks very similar but maybe someone else has a better idea.
I chalked them up to bad genetics because every other plant on the same feeding etc, were gorgeous!

The others look good but I'd be very careful feeding them that young.

The HotBox

MyDogSpot, I saw mentions on some of your posts about those weird ones. I have a feeling this might be the same, but I'll keep it going while I can. As far as feeding, I planted in soil that didn't have any amendments in it. They started to yellow around week #2 which coincidentally the soil bag said "After 2-3 weeks, most plants will require fertilizers". Now if I'd planted them in FFOF or something like that, I wouldn't feed them until they went into a flowering. What are your thoughts (yours are doing well so I value your input)? Also, how long from seed did you keep your BBs in veg state? Thanks!

MyDogSpot, I saw mentions on some of your posts about those weird ones. I have a feeling this might be the same, but I'll keep it going while I can. As far as feeding, I planted in soil that didn't have any amendments in it. They started to yellow around week #2 which coincidentally the soil bag said "After 2-3 weeks, most plants will require fertilizers". Now if I'd planted them in FFOF or something like that, I wouldn't feed them until they went into a flowering. What are your thoughts (yours are doing well so I value your input)? Also, how long from seed did you keep your BBs in veg state? Thanks!

Well If the soil had no nutrients in them then you'll need something, just very very diluted. I was just saying be careful! It's so easy to kill the little guys with nutrients.
I've been using a mixture of promix organic, a local soil and perlite. I find the promix a little hot for my GSC. In that mix, I don't feed in veg at all, I wait for flower. I will dose a little cal mag supplement along the way however.

I vegged the blueberry for just over 60 days. I basically always look at the plant size and ask myself.
If this gets 3 times bigger in flower, will I have the room? I time my flip like that as I'm in no rush to crop out and I like big plants :)

The HotBox

The eldest plants are now in their final 5gal SmartPots. I don't think my plants liked my FIM'ing technique. The first time I did it I chopped off 80% of the new growth. They just kept growing in the same pattern, but with chopped leaves. The second try I used the pinch method, but just on one plant. It's all kinds of jacked up, but I can't tell if I have new colas coming in from that.
Did I FIM the FIM?
IMG_20170329_122433.jpg

I'll be trying my hand at LST today on the one good plant that only had one FIM attempt.
This will be my LST guinea pig.
IMG_20170329_122513.jpg

And a picture of the sad odd-ball plant.
IMG_20170329_122524.jpg

I'm keeping that one around just for giggles to see what it does.

The eldest plants are now in their final 5gal SmartPots. I don't think my plants liked my FIM'ing technique. The first time I did it I chopped off 80% of the new growth. They just kept growing in the same pattern, but with chopped leaves. The second try I used the pinch method, but just on one plant. It's all kinds of jacked up, but I can't tell if I have new colas coming in from that.
Did I FIM the FIM?
IMG_20170329_122433.jpg

I'll be trying my hand at LST today on the one good plant that only had one FIM attempt.
This will be my LST guinea pig.
IMG_20170329_122513.jpg

And a picture of the sad odd-ball plant.
IMG_20170329_122524.jpg

I'm keeping that one around just for giggles to see what it does.

You're doing great!
The best way to get a handle on all of these things, is hands on.
Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You're doing great!
The best way to get a handle on all of these things, is hands on.
Keep it up.

Thanks, MyDogSpot! That's how I learn best -- by doing.

I tied down the one plant last night and it recovered well. Took off a couple leaves that were blocking light from getting into the growth areas and that would no longer be getting light.

I also topped my 2 struggling franken-plants just to see how they behave.

I have this horrible feeling that my 2 good plants are going to be males.

Back
Top Bottom