JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015

Update (14 days old):

Well over the last few days I've noticed a significant change in size of the Hempy girls. The color in the 5 gallon Hempy plant is much better too! It's crazy how 2 points on the pH scale matters so much! :)

Not much else to add. The flowering girls are getting the same CS treatment, and I'm still using some neem oil. I haven't seen any gnats in a the last two days, so it seems to have worked well and quickly.

A bit bigger:
IMG_349011.jpg

The small Hempy. I have quite a bit of algae growing here. Should I just use hydrogen peroxide to get rid of it? How much?
IMG_349211.jpg

The flowering girls. The Black bottle is the CS solution, and the clear is neem oil. You can even see the size difference from 2 days ago. I started a little LST on the far right plant too.
IMG_34949.jpg

Update (18 days old):

Just a quick update. I fed the Hempy girls today, and the larger one is looking good. I've noticed a good boost in growth the last few days. I'll let it get a bit taller, strip some of the lower growth, then shortly after I will put the SCROG screen on, and start training. Isn't she a big small for 18 days?

I also treated the smaller one with hydrogen peroxide mixed into the water, as the algae was getting worse. The interesting thing is most of the leaves on the smaller one are single bladed, and the larger plant has 3-bladed leaves, with a few 5-bladed in the mix.

IMG_3495_new_1_.jpg

Thanks HH, I'll definitely read through it! I like that he's using the same hempy mix and nutes as I am (except he has RO water).

Side note: I swapped the veg light to the 180W LED on 5/10/15. They haven't really acclimated yet, but I'm hoping to see them adjust in the next day or two. I may put the fluorescent lights back in with the LED to help them transition.

If I recall correctly I believe that he stopped using the RO water later in the grow but... you know... old timers disease. :smokin:

Update (21 days old):

I fed the girls and smoked one of their mothers! Fed with week 3 of the program. No nute burn and growth is good. I LST'd it a bit last night to get some other under-growth going. It's at about 9" tied down, and it seems to be growing pretty quickly now.

Still slow growth on the small Hempy, not sure why it's like a bush.

On a side note, it sucks trying to take pictures under LEDs. I had to turn the lights off and use a handheld CFL so I could get focus on the camera.

Does the growth seem slow to you guys?

GEDC1520.jpg

GEDC1525.jpg

GEDC1522.jpg

They look quite nice to my eye. I don't tie my babies down and whatnot... so mine tend to look a bit fuller at this point. Your roots should be down in the bottom by this point. I would expect some exponential growth and increased nutrient uptake.
I try to judge my nitrogen uptake by the deepness of the green on new growth. When my leaves start to darken up, I know I'm nearing my limits. We can't really judge this from photos as lighting conditions and cameras are always different. You just have to become familiar with the color using your own eyes under your own lights.
Looking good so far! Fun to watch and learn.

So I've never mentioned my goal for this grow. Last grow, I harvested 165g from 11 plants (some big, some small), all of which fit under 2x of the 180W (actual draw) LEDs. This equates to about 0.46 g/W. I had pH issues, lighting issues/changes, etc., so...

My goal for this grow is 0.75 g/W or 135g.

I think I can achieve it with a SCROG setup, and hope I don't disappoint!

As a small update, I put the bucket lid onto the large Hempy today, and stripped most of the lower growth. They seem to have adjusted to the LED too.

They look quite nice to my eye. I don't tie my babies down and whatnot... so mine tend to look a bit fuller at this point. Your roots should be down in the bottom by this point. I would expect some exponential growth and increased nutrient uptake.
I try to judge my nitrogen uptake by the deepness of the green on new growth. When my leaves start to darken up, I know I'm nearing my limits. We can't really judge this from photos as lighting conditions and cameras are always different. You just have to become familiar with the color using your own eyes under your own lights.
Looking good so far! Fun to watch and learn.

Thanks for the input on the color. I learned a lot on the first few staggered grows (I'll call them one grow) about the color. I kind of have a feel for it, but the freakin' LED makes it a little more difficult! I also read that some growers go for a slight nute burn on the tips of the leaves to tell if they are close to their nute limit. So far, I have only noticed color improve, and don't seem to have any more pH issues, but I'll have to remind myself to check them under a normal light every once and awhile.

Update (25 days old):

Ok folks, I haven't put up pictures in a few days, so here we go. I figured out how to play with the white balance on my camera so I can get good pictures under the LED.

As mentioned, I stripped some of the lower growth, which really seemed to boost the side growth. The LED also seems to stimulate side growth, much more than fluorescent, which will be great for this SCROG. I think the different light spectrums used for this light (mostly red, it seems) allow for different growth than MH would. Right now, from base to tip, the plant is about 10" tall. The screen should sit about 13" up from the base, so I don't have much longer to go!

Also, I put the lid on the bucket. Watering will now be through the PVC fitting on the top. I plan to eventually add a pump and hose, controlled by an arduino with internet connectivity. That way, I can water it while I'm away. Even more low maintenance than Hempy itself, which is hard to do!

GEDC15461.JPG

GEDC1545.JPG

I figured I'd show my breeding plants too. I was wondering why side growth and flowering was slow on them (flower for about 2 weeks), and I realized I still had the 6500K bulbs in! Oops... So I switched to the 3000K, they should like that a little more. I still haven't seen any balls forming, and they've been getting 1-2 CS sprays per day. Hopefully they'll show in the next few days!

All are trained very flat:
GEDC15471.JPG

The only difference I can see between the CS treated plants and the non-treated is the pistols seem to turn red faster, or have red spots on them. This could be entirely because I spray them during their light period, and the water blobs magnify light and slightly burn them, but I'm not sure. Growth doesn't seem to be affected much.

GEDC1552.JPG

Happy growing!

Update (27 days old):

Alright, so everything's looking good. The reservoir still seems full, so I may be able to go another week without refilling it. I think I'll let it go dry/near dry now that the roots have hit it. Growth is still looking great, and some of the newest growth is almost as large as the top! Side branching is still going great, and I have to trim the new growth off the side branches to keep each branch growing only up!

1_4_19.JPG

1_5_10.JPG

1_9_4.JPG

1_8_6.JPG

Little Hempy:
The small Hempy is doing much better now too. The odd "re-veg" growth seems to be passing, as there are some multi-finger leaves forming. I may start flowering her soon, as it is in a fairly small container.

1_6_4.JPG

1_7_3.JPG

Flowering Girls:
The flowering girls seem to be doing really well now that I have the correct bulbs in; many more white hairs! I'm still applying the CS to the selected two plants, but I still don't see any balls, and it's been 17 days. Does anyone with experience have any input? The sprayed hairs are turning brown, but new pistols keep popping up. The last picture also shows a comparison between the treated/untreated plants. The CS I made measured about 16PPM, though I've read CS doesn't read accurately with a PPM meter, and is typically higher than indicated.

1_1_22.JPG

1_2_23.JPG

1_3_20.JPG

Update (28 days old):

Not much new since last night. I fed the big Hempy about 3/4 gallon with a little runoff, I also fed the small Hempy.

GEDC1593.jpg

GEDC1594.jpg

In other news, I have balls!

GEDC1577.jpg

GEDC1585.jpg

GEDC1581.jpg

I found a few balls on ONE of the treated plants tonight. Then I realized I need to build an isolation chamber. The other girl won't go in yet, but I have to prepare.

GEDC1587.jpg

GEDC1588.jpg

GEDC1589.jpg

I hacked it together out of a few paper boxes and a "allergy" furnace filter. The plastic came from the filter wrapper! A small fan pulling through both partitions and a few sheets of paper. Isolated.

Interesting canna-hack isolation box jojo, reps.

Update (34 days old):

I was gone for the weekend, but fortunately Hempys are so low maintenance, nothing went wrong! She's progressing great, and is ~14in tall from the medium (13in from the bucket lid). I decided it's about time to put the screen on! Hopefully as I start manipulating the top branches, the lower branches will get more growth hormones and stretch for the screen. The internode spacing is looking great (0.5"-1", with the lowest branches having 2" internodes due to fighting for light).

I've still been doing minor defoliation too. When I can bend a leaf out of the way, or tie it down, I have been. That's why there are several pointing downward. I figure I'll wait until most things reach the screen before doing any heavy defoliating. I've mostly been trimming the new growth off the lower branches to create single branches to reach the screen so it doesn't get too crazy. Man that screen is easy to put in place!

1_2_24.jpg

1_1_23.jpg

1_9_5.jpg

1_8_7.jpg

1_10_4.jpg

That about covers the update on the big Hempy. There isn't much to note on the small Hempy. I did strip a lot of growth from the lower parts of the branches, and I'll give it a few days to recover before flowering. I'm going to try to keep it like a flat-top in flowering, but we'll see how that works.

1_3_21.jpg

As for the breeding plants (day 24 of flowering), I did notice ONE ball on the treated NL plant, so it finally went to the isolation chamber. The odd thing is on the C99, is that some of what I thought were male balls, have pistols sticking out of them... I did pick off one and dissect it, and it seems to be a developing male flower, so I'll give them more time. I also defoliated the "females" of inward facing leaves and stripped the lower growth. They're doing pretty well for all being under a 54W fluorescent!

1_6_5.jpg

1_5_11.jpg

1_4_20.jpg

The Ball:
1_7_4.jpg

Until next time!

Back
Top Bottom