JoJo's Hempy SOG 'n SCROG - LED - C99 - Northern Lights - NL99

Update (62 days flower, 104 days old):

Sorry, but you're getting a quick update tonight. Hours of trimming didn't leave me with much extra time! :) Trimming is enjoyable sometimes, but I'm sure glad I don't have to do it for a living!

How about some numbers to start. Below are all wet weights, so they should be about 20-25% of these after drying.

NL99D (2L - 102 days old, 60 days flower) - 75.52g
NL99A (2L - 104 days old, 62 days flower) - 83.64g
NL99C (2L - 104 days old, 62 days flower) - 100.53g

C99 Heavy Defol (2.5L - 66 days old, 59 days flower) - 20.00g
C99 Regular Defol (2.5L - 66 days old, 59 days flower) - 20.93g
C99 Regular Defol (2.5L - 66 days old, 59 days flower) - 22.87g
C99 No Defol (2.5L - 66 days old, 59 days flower) - 28.05g
C99 No Defol (2.5L - 66 days old, 59 days flower) - 28.55g

Total, this should give me a dry weight of ~95g. Nothing great, as these plants covered about 1/2 of my flower space, and used one of the 180W lights. SO that's a yield of about .53 g/W. I'm definitely phasing away from SOG style plants for many reasons, and yield looks like an important factor too!

It turns that my space heater has been dialed a little too low, so the grow room has been fairly cool (mid-low 60s F). The purpling is definitely showing on both strains! The C99 turned almost black, and looks super cool. The NL99 leaves have an interesting purple too! Beautiful buds in my opinion. I harvested 2 more NL99s tonight. I didn't share any pics of the previous NL99, but I'll get a pick of all the dried bud. I have lots more pictures but I try to limit it to a reasonable amount!

d104f62_NL99_2.jpg

d104f62_NL99.jpg

And now for the C99s. It was a shame to harvest these so early, as they were still putting out lots of white pistols. I found nanners on 2/5 plants, and we can't have them spitting their imitation male pollen out in the air, ruining the fun for all the virgins, so they got the chop. These plants look stunning with the deep purple. This might be my favorite looking bud I've grown so far!

d104f62_C99_4.jpg

d104f62_C99_5.jpg

d104f62_C99_1.jpg

d104f62_C99_3.jpg

And since this is a mostly untouched subject, here's my stance on re-using perlite. Do it! Why not? I put the rootball in a tub/bucket of water and shake it until all the perlite floats to the surface. Scoop it off, put it on a piece of cardboard, and blow a fan over it for a few days in the basement.

This is the rootball from NL99D, which I harvested 2 days ago. It was my last round of plants with vermiculite, and you can see it mostly settled to the bottom. I don't see a lot of roots down there though. Coincidence!? The rootball weighed 100g, in case anyone was curious!

d100f58_NL_1.jpg

d100f58_NL_2.jpg

I may get around to posting a few more details tomorrow if I have time.

It's been my experience in the past that by the time I detect the nanners, some pollen has already escaped. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some unexpected pollination.
As for you NL99D rootball... ewww!

I've reused perl in the past. I bleach the crap out of it. After that, I flush the crap out of it. I've not seen any issues with my reuse.

Was starting to wonder where you'd got off to... God forbid you have a life or anything.

Yeah, I've seen at least one seed growing... I don't think I had much pollen escape though. I caught the first few nanners (I think) before any could be mature enough to do any damage. I have yet to see a calyx swollen like it's hiding a seed, but these fine girls could surprise me too!

I soaked my perlite in a bit of hydrogen peroxide, but that didn't seem to clean it up much. I debated using bleach, but does it really matter? I don't know what the discoloring stuff is, but I'm thinking a lot of it is from the vermiculite that it was mixed with?

Yea.... I've not cleaned up any of my perl/verm mixes... just tossed them. I don't think you can really get that mix clean.
When I clean perl I do it in the grow bucket. Tape over the hole. About 2 cups of bleach. Fill with water. Agitate (paint mixer on drill). Remove root material. Let sit in bleach water for a day. Flush the bejesus outta it letting it sit in clear water for elongated periods. Dry. Reuse.

Thanks for the update man , gee a bit of difference between the defol plants thankyou ill be doing less in future ☺
My friend lent me a stainless bowl automatic trimmer .. it has a handle on top u turn .. i was skeptical at first but i reckon it saved me about 6hrs lol it is awesome

Just got done reading through your journal and am finally caught up lol. Your setup is really nice and your plants are wonderful. Funny that you got influenced by the "come sog with me" thread as i am going to be embarking down that road myself lol. Anyways subbed and sending good vibes your way.

Hey JoJo nice harvest those nugs are real nice looking :thumb:

I am glad you posted the difference with the defol plants. I always though a little is good but to much just hurts the plant.
Can't wait to see what you have planned next.

I have been working on a pretty big project (grow room) and taking pictures as things go on.
Plan on starting a journal one of these days.

I was thinking of ordering some seeds looking at BigBang2 anyone heard of this strain?

Hey Jojo. You mentioned using a homemade KCl solution? I think you did, anyway. Could you tell me some details on where you got the KCl? and how strong you mixed it?
By the way I put the ppm probe in the Hannah brand KCl storage solution I recently got. The Bluelab gives me an 'OR' error reading, which I believe means that it is over 7000 ppm and is unreadable. At some point I'll try diluting it by half with water and then see if I can get a reading on the diluted mix.

I took 5 ml of the KCl storage solution and diluted it with rainwater to 50%. Still an error reading. Doubled the water again, and again, and again, and again, and again... I was up to 500 ml of solution before a number finally popped up- which was 2900 ppm. A reading of 2900 ppm when diluted to 1/100 strength 'should' mean that full strength storage solution is 290,000 ppm- approaching a level of 30% KCl. ( - can water really hold that much ???) Actually the experiment had lost all hope of scientific precision by this point, so this is dubious info and I haven't learned much except that the KCl solution is quite strong. Probably saturation level. Which is also evident by the amount of white residue that is left when the stuff evaporates.

KCl is potassium (K) chloride (Cl). Potassium chloride seems to have many great uses (and some debatably perhaps not so great like it's use in lethal injection). But the reason I'm talking about it here is- KCl solution seems to be the most recommended storage solution for ph probes. I think JoJo made his own version by mixing KCl with water, to the saturation point. I don't know where to find KCl here, not that I've tried, so I ordered some commercial ph probe storage solution. The storage solution is necessary if you want your ph probe to continue to function well for long. JoJo was asking me at one point to check the ppm of the stuff I bought. I'm pretty sure it's just KCl and water, mixed to saturation. Dissolve KCl in the water till it won't dissolve any more (saturation point).
The company that makes my ph probe (Bluelab) didn't seem to want to tell me their storage solution formula, or maybe the person I was talking to just didn't know. But since the cheapest price I can find in Canada is over $90 for 100 ml of the Bluelab solution (!!!!) before tax and shipping, I bought a different brand, and will probably look into making my own in the future.

Ugghhhhh one more thing to buy lol well thank you for explaining it to me weasel! Much appreciated!

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

... Do you think they would get enough oxygen if they sit in a tray of water?...

Yes you can root in plain water but it does need to be changed every few days. I have read on 420mag. people rooting in water, I believe that Doc Bud was one of them.

Back
Top Bottom