Jon's Sneak It In Auto Grow

Ha! Okay @Carmen Ray -

What do you mean by minimal training and topping?
The Sombrero training I do is one form of this. Just letting the plant go natural is another. In Sombrero training, all you do is top above node four and let it grow up from there. Do not do anything else to affect the top. On the bottom, you’ll have branch pairs at nodes 1, 2, and 3. Think of a clock face and pull them out as evenly around the dial as you can. Pull them as flat as you can too. You’re looking to create a ring that when it’s done will clear the top of the plant. As you pull those out, they will develop side branching. Use the best of those to fill in the empty spots of your ring. When they have a node or two, if you want, you can top side branches too and generate more colas for the ring. So think in terms of completing that clock face evenly 1 to 12. If you can do that you will have an awesome lower ring that’s wide and low, and then the tops grow only up. That allows them to develop lots of stem length and therefore lots of side branching. That will fill out the top. The Apple Fritter is trained in this style, but lost her shape due to the top exploding. (Lol - nice problem to have).

But also letting them go is sometimes good too. The pink Rozay is 100% untrained. She just grew that way. And she’s amazing. Maybe the most productive of all eight despite the monster AF. HUGE buds. And letting them go with minimal training would mean just pulling branches out a little to create space and let light hit everything. Not flat, just out so everything isn’t going right up the middle. The Gorilla Zkittlez is trained like this. Natural except for separating branches.

I feel strongly that more stem = more buds. The colas are bigger and the side branches are more voluminous. With autos that give you 35-45 days of veg you can get a really tall plant after the stretch. So letting them go gives you longer stems.

If you wish to canopy, still top above node four, only then flatten out and pull out the two shoots from the topping. Establish the canopy right there. Then just do what you’re currently doing to keep it flat and all.

What do you mean by shape of a ring? I know that's round but what would I do differently?

This was sort of answered in the above info. Think of the central stem as your spoke and the ring you’re making as the wheel. That’s the shape I’m talking about. A ring works whether you canopy, Sombreo, or just pull out branches. If you always even out around the plant the lower branches, they will form a ring automatically and you’ll easily see where you want to fill in.

I hope that’s helpful, it’s a start. If you look back through the journal all of this is in there in pieces. Lol. And here’s a few pictures of rings and Sombrero training, the easiest training way I use.

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0397.jpeg
Nice tutorial Jon, have you compared your sombraro & ring training as to just bending a seedling over 90 degrees and keeping the apex cola lower than the rest of the plant ? to see which will produce more bud ?

Nice tutorial Jon, have you compared your sombraro & ring training as to just bending a seedling over 90 degrees and keeping the apex cola lower than the rest of the plant ? to see which will produce more bud ?
Thanks @con - I have not done that. That would be an interesting comparison.

Thanks @con - I have not done that. That would be an interesting comparison.
Jon, the splaying of the branches to form the ring, how does that differ from regular canopy splaying, other than you are leaving two apical colas on the sombrero? What would you do with this canopy on the Parmesan auto going forward? I worry that it is too crowded but I am loath to cut anything off. I hope it's ok to post it here.

Jon, the splaying of the branches to form the ring, how does that differ from regular canopy splaying, other than you are leaving two apical colas on the sombrero? What would you do with this canopy on the Parmesan auto going forward? I worry that it is too crowded but I am loath to cut anything off. I hope it's ok to post it here.

Hey @Carmen Ray -

In typical canopy splaying I don’t know that people try to form rings. @Rexer and @StoneOtter taught me this a while ago. When you form an actual ring it becomes very easy to continue to pull it wide. You don’t have to guess and select. The ring is the colas and the center fills in with all the new growth. You can easily see and control side branching. You can easily see what you wish to keep and what you cut. Defoliation is easier. Air flow through the plant is improved.

With your plant here (and of course it’s okay to post here) I see a nice full canopy - but also one with several choices to make. Your side branching is going to come up kind of everywhere. You may have to choose what flarf to eliminate as you go from down underneath. This is great, that plant is rocking. If I were you, with that one, at this point, I would focus on maintaining an even canopy. Try to keep it so flat you could put a level on it. Your branches are already spread just fine. You have numerous cola sites. I would just work on maintaining evenness. In addition to maintaining a flat top canopy, you can also spread/move/manipulate branches so as to even out the space between the colas. You’ve done a nice job with this plant and she looks pretty ready to rock. I wouldn’t mess with her now too much. Make sense? Does this help?

On those two apical colas - let’s say it was just one with no topping. I would just about bet my life that splitting it in two (or even four) will ALWAYS beat one on yield. It has for me every time. When you let the two go for a long time up too they get long and huge. Way bigger together than a single cola, and double the side branching. That will fill out the top. And sometimes the top goes nuts like with my Apple Fritter.

Gorilla Zkittlez
Day 80

She is taking her sweet time fattening up. Slow. Long trichome window. I just checked them, and they look pretty much the same, still about 25/75 clear to milky. We have another week or so yet I’d think. She is developing more color and the orange hairs are getting a deeper reddish, but she still has work to do. She gets a gallon a day still, which gives me maybe 10-15% runoff. She ought to start to slow her consumption now. I have backed the feed down to 8 ml. each ingredient per gallon of the Remo nutes, along with 20 ml. per gallon of Terpinator and 5 ml. per gallon of Calmag plus Iron.

Here’s some buds.

IMG_0970.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

Some Serious Spears and a Bud Factory

Autos. Good lord. I think it’s safe to say the genetics have come a long way. :rofl:

IMG_0984.jpeg

IMG_0985.jpeg
Good Morning Jon. :ciao:
Garden looks wonderful.
Hope everything is going well my friend.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Good Morning Jon. :ciao:
Garden looks wonderful.
Hope everything is going well my friend.

Bill284 😎
Hi @Bill284!!! Where you been Sensei? You doing alright? Hope all is well. And yep - looks like the move is finally happening after this grow!!

Nice buds you will have a great harvest when it gets there lots of flowers. :thumb: :circle-of-love:🍋
Hey @KeithLemon - you know what’s funny? Every time I post a picture of this AF auto I think of your monster, a REAL monster, and I think, Jesus, if I’m getting spears like this with the auto version, I can’t imagine what Keith is gonna have on the beastly photo!

Hi @Bill284!!! Where you been Sensei? You doing alright? Hope all is well. And yep - looks like the move is finally happening after this grow!!
Been a little under the weather to put it mildly :rofl:
Doing my best to catch up.
So happy your finally packing for real this time. :cheer::thumb::yahoo:
Talk soon buddy.

Bill284 😎

Been a little under the weather to put it mildly :rofl:
Doing my best to catch up.
So happy your finally packing for real this time. :cheer::thumb::yahoo:
Talk soon buddy.

Bill284 😎
For those of you who don’t know -

@Bill284 is my coco Sensei. He is the person who encouraged me to make the switch from soil to coco, and subsequently educated me to all things coco. Although I’ve improved on his methodology ( :rofl: ), I happily give Bill all the credit he’s due. He’s the man. Simple as that.

For those of you who don’t know -

@Bill284 is my coco Sensei. He is the person who encouraged me to make the switch from soil to coco, and subsequently educated me to all things coco. Although I’ve improved on his methodology ( :rofl: ), I happily give Bill all the credit he’s due. He’s the man. Simple as that.
I’m friendly beginner my friend.
Your the one doing all the great work.
Your well beyond my capabilities.
I’m just enjoying your amazing gardens.
And everything you have perfected in such a short period of time.
You da Man. :thumb:
Thanks for the kind word’s. :thanks:

@Bill284 Method

Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom