Kaya Gold & Wonder Woman - Outdoor Northern Climate

SkyFire

Hi All!

I am a first time grower and this is my first post here. I'm going to forego the template as a lot of it is confusing and probably doesn't pertain much to my situation.

We are fledgling homesteaders in a very remote part of north central WA state. We are on the 49th parallel, our planting zone is 5a, and our climate is sub alpine and arid. We experience all four seasons.

I purchased five Kaya Gold feminized and five Wonder Woman feminized seeds from Nirvana Shop last November. My order came with ten free mystery seeds. I chose both these strains because they were advertised as being easy to grow in harsher climates and producing high yields. On April 3rd, I germinated half of the seeds with a wet paper towel. The other half I skipped the wet paper towel & put them straight into pots to see what would happen.

I used WalMart fiber pots when I put the seeds in dirt. I used dirt from our property I ran through a sifter. I kept them in a sunny window inside the house and spritzed plain water on them once or twice a day. All five of the Kaya Gold seeds sprouted. All five of the Wonder Woman seeds also sprouted, but one died of unknown causes a week later. Four of the ten mystery seeds sprouted.
6hkyyt.jpg

From the time I germinated them till the end of april, they stayed in their fiber pots and spent most of their time indoors near the window. We have some warm spells where temps went above 60 degrees. On those days I took them outside. Once they out grew their pots, I transplanted them to pint sized black plastic pots with 2 parts sifted dirt and 1 part perlite. The KG and Freebies were growing really well, but the WW was really struggling. Once they had their second set of true leaves, I made fertilizer from my pee, 1 part pee to 20 parts water. I used it right away to avoid ammonia toxicity. This seemed to help the WW grow a little bit, but they were still runts next to the others. I fertilized them this way two more times in a one month period.

By late may, when our last frost is supposedly over, I put all four freebies in the ground. I dug deep holes and worked in homemade compost (a mixture of chicken poop + their old straw bedding, raw veggie scraps, coffee grounds and eggshells). The following week I put all the Kaya Golds in the ground. The week after that, the WW also went into the ground. The last week of June, we had two nights where temps dropped below 32 degrees. I was sweating bullets afraid I would find dead plants, but all of them lived.

I have two separate gardens: a large one that housed all the KGs and freebies, plus the largest WW. The smaller plot contained the other three WWs. The WW in the larger plot began displaying bizarre growth patterns, like curly kale leaves.
b4gvm9.jpg

I did extensive research on WW, trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I learned that there are two strains called Wonder Woman which have no relation to each other. One is related to White Widow. The other (the one I have) is Nirvana's which does not publicize the strain's genetics. I realized the research I had done when I first selected this seed, was from information that had no relation to Nirvana's WW. Upon this discovery, I made sure to search for Nirvana WW, and came across several posts claiming this strain easily goes hermie under stress. The distressed WW was growing tall and lanky so I made the executive decision to cull it. I didn't want to risk the chance of this one plant affecting my entire crop.

Here are my Kaya Gold plants today:
280qjr5.jpg
All five are alive and growing well. The one in the middle is 3 1/2 ft tall, the others are between 4 1/2 to 5 ft tall. When I first planted them, I thought I had spaced them far enough apart. Next year, I will triple the amount of space in between as they are all touching each other now! I sprayed them with BT twice since they've been in the ground. I used 1/4 strength Miracle Gro on them about a month ago, and haven't fertilized them since. Honestly, I don't think I even needed to do that. This strain most definitely is as advertised.
29mr7mf.jpg
2qd9ahd.jpg
They have been exposed to high winds on a regular basis, occasional heavy rain, and temps in the upper 90s. If the vapor is as good as it grows, this plant will have a permanent home in my garden every year.

At the very opposite end of the spectrum are my Wonder Woman plants:
23m0qra.jpg
14ce9ew.jpg
Pathetic isn't it? The remaining three plants are between 12" to 1 1/2 ft tall. I don't doubt all the positive reviews I've read about this strain. I'm sure under the right conditions, it is all that is promised. For my outdoor climate, I cannot recommend this strain and will not attempt growing it again. I don't expect to get any buds from it. I'm treating WW as a learning experience for the remainder of the season.

Now for my freebies. I confirmed all four that made it to this stage are all girls. Oh Happy Day! Since I don't know what they are, being mystery seeds and all, I named them Sweet Alyssa, Hungry Helen, Naughty Natasha, and Alyssa's Dirty Sister.
5jwdg7.jpg
Sweet Alyssa on the left and Hungry Helen on the right. SA looks a little droopy in places. Not sure why. It could be because we're experience some rainy weather right now. Nothing I can do about that so she'll have to cowgirl up for another day or two.
2w5rk8l.jpg
From left to right, the other half of Hungry Helen, Naughty Natasha, and Alyssa's Dirty Sister. Now, I should mention that my over zealous husband accidentally shot NN and ADS when he was hunting gophers about 6 weeks ago. He blew NN's side branches clean off and wounded ADS. Since then, NN has regrew two new branches in its place and ADS's wounds have healed over. Whew!

These mystery girls are growing very well, right along with the KGs. It more than makes up for the ganky WW I had to kill 2 weeks ago. Two of them show strong signs of being sativa so getting them all the way to harvest might be tricky, but I will do my best! KG and WW are advertised as early finishers, 7 to 9 week flowering period. I believe KG will deliver. I'm not holding my breath on WW. NN and HH look like they are indica dominant, so hopefully they will be ready to harvest earlier than later.

All the plants get full sun. I should note that our soil is naturally fertile. We have pea shrubs that dump nitrogen rich pods on the ground every autumn. Plus we have an abundance of wildlife that share our 44 acres. I decided not to get fancy & try topping them or doing anything to promote more buds. Except for the one that got shot, they are all natural growth, which is probably why they can take these high winds so well with no damage or breakage. I use plain hose water from our private well every two days when it's sunny and dry. With the WW, I have given them two more treatments of Miracle Gro at full strength. I found another grow journal from a guy who grew Nirvana WW alongside Sour Diesel. He said that WW required twice the amount of nutes compared to SD, so I am trying that as a solution to get them growing better. Both plots are protected by electric deer fencing. I plan on spraying with Safer as needed, but I also rely on the lady bugs, yellow jackets, and birds to take care of those pests for me, and for now they are doing a great job!

I learned that outdoor plants do not adhere to the same biological schedule as indoor grows. Our trigger point for girls to convert to flowering is when daylight falls under 14.5 hours. For me, that is today. I hope my next update will show you guys pretty little flower buds

re: Kaya Gold & Wonder Woman By Nirvana Seeds - Outdoor Northern Climate

The flowering period for my area officially began (when daylight fell under 14.5 hours) on 8/10. I noticed all but 4 of my plants were pumping out pistils by 8/11. Today is the end of flowering week 1.
n566fb.jpg
From left to right: KG1 is 54", KG2 is also 54", KG3 is 41", KG4 is 51" and KG5 is 53". KG1 has a few random leaves that appear yellow/burned looking on the tips. I have not fertilized them for a month and when I did, it was with 1/4 strength Miracle Gro. We had very heavy rains late last week. It could be they look like they are suffering nute burn from overwatering. There isn't much I can do about that when mother nature is in charge. KG2 has a little bit of yellowing as well, but less than KG1. KG3, 4 and 5 are perfectly healthy looking. All five are producing numerous pistils, but no distinct flower bud yet. They are giving off heavy scents of pine and skunk. Overall, it is very pleasing. I notice many lady bugs and spiders hanging out on my plants. I have to rely on them to be my pesticide for another week.
jfumaq.jpg

From left to right: Alyssa's Dirty Sister (ADS) is 57", Naughty Natasha (NN) is 42", Hungry Helen (HH) is also 42" and Sweet Alyssa (SA) is 53" ADS and SA appear to be strongly sativa. SA was the first to really start producing pistils with ADS close behind. In the last 10 days or so, SA had two bottom branches wilt and die. They were both branches that came through the ground; they were not part of the main stalk. The main stalk looks like it is wilting. The leaves are yellowing and drooping. It could be bud rot though I read that is unlikely with plants put into the ground. The new growth looks healthy. There's not a lot I can do if it is bud rot. The plant is too big and it's too late in the season to mess around with the roots. As long as SA continues to put out healthy growth, I will leave it be. Last week after the heavy rains, ADS appeared somewhat droopy like her sister, SA. ADS has not lost any branches and she seems to be bouncing back after several days of sunny weather. SA and ADS are giving off a barely detectable skunky aroma. I have to really get my face in there to smell it.

NN and HH both appear to be indica dominant. I found a tiny amount of sticky web on two potential bud sites on HH. I pulled it off with my fingers. After much research, I suspect spider mites. We've had several days of dry sunny days with temps in the upper 90s to low 100s, the kind of conditions spider mites thrive in. The forecast shows the next seven days being like this so this evening, I will blast HH with a garden hose to wash them off. It's the only option I have until I can get to town to buy Safer. So far NN looks mite free, but I will give her a bath too for good measure. NN is fully recovered from her shotgun blast last month. She is putting out lots of long fat pistils. HH is putting out some pistils, but they are hard to discern with the naked eye. Other than the mite issue, the plants are so healthy. Their leaves are shiny, dark green and blemish free. I was going to feed a bloom type fertilizer on some of the plants starting next week, but now I'm tempted to just let them all grow naturally. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Neither girl is giving off any scent just yet.
2qxavqq.jpg

2qltzeu.jpg

xen0ok.jpg

From top to bottom: WW1 is 29", and WW2 is also 29" and WW3 is 17" All three are producing lots of pistils, interestingly enough. I wasn't expecting any bud from this strain, given all the problems I've had trying to grow this in my harsh environment. I might actually get an ounce from them when all is said and done.

I'm going to upload some more pics later in the day. The sunlight was too harsh this morning when I took these photos. I will post some golden hour photos of my girls which will be much more pleasant and soothing.

Here are some random pics of the garden this evening.
2ps521c.jpg
One of my Kaya Golds up close. Next update I will take some photos of their main stalk. They got thick and woody from these routine high winds where I live.
m74c40.jpg
This is the shortest KG which is also the bushiest. Lots of potential bud sites on this plant!

b7b503.jpg
Here is a photo of SA. Notice her wilting main stem, yet she has plenty of healthy new growth.
wml361.jpg
Another SA photo with flash. The wind was blowing at the time these photos were taken.
16a5fsm.jpg
One more SA photo, a close up of bud formation on her new growth. If she pulls through whatever is affecting her, I'm going to harvest several ounces of weed from this plant alone.

mbq2bb.jpg
A close up of Hungry Helen. I inspected her for more evidence of mites, but found no more sticky webbing. Due to the high winds today and that HH's neighbor, SA looks like she is still recovering from too much rain, I decided to forego a good hard hosing for another day or two. Hopefully the wind blew any remaining mites off of my plants.

That's it for now. See you next week!

Today marks the end of flowering Week 2.
25flfg8.jpg

From left to right: Kaya Gold (KG) 1 is 54 1/2", KG2 is also 54 1/2", KG3 is 41", KG4 is 50 1/2", and KG5 is 54"
KG 1 and 2 gained 1/2", KG3 is unchanged, KG4 apparently lost a 1/2" (margin of error) while KG5 gained an inch. The rapid overall growth has slowed while the side branches are thickening and gaining length. All five have nominal yellowing leaves, mostly towards the bottom and in the inner most part of each bush that does not receive adequate light. All five are still producing pistils, but no distinctive flower buds yet. Basically there hasn't been much change since last week. I suspect they have reached their maximum height and now they're in some sort of stasis as they shift gears into flowering. They smell less like pine and more like skunk than last week.
2hoi4it.jpg

From left to right: Alyssa's Dirty Sister (ADS) is 60 1/2", Naughty Natasha (NN) is 45 1/2", Hungry Helen (HH) is 44" and Sweet Alyssa (SA) is 55"
ADS gained 3 1/2", NN also gained 3 1/2", HH gained 2" and SA gained 2". I cut 2 skinny weak bottom branches from ADS that were dragging on the ground. I also cut a side branch from SA yesterday that was completely wilted. SA continues to have yellowing leaves on her main stalk while pumping out new growth. None of these yellowed leaves have fallen yet. NN and HH have no yellow leaves at all. They are both full bodied bushes with shiny healthy leaves. No more evidence of spider mites on HH, and her pistils are really coming through this week. Last week they were barely visible. Now they are very easy to spot. ADS and SA are looking like a pair of gangly teenagers with all their pistil covered branches stretching towards the sky. I didn't pick up much scent from any in this group as we are experiencing high winds this morning.
2ywies4.jpg

From left to right: Wonder Woman (WW) 1 is 31", WW2 is 32", and WW3 is 18"
WW1 gained 2", WW2 gained 3", and WW3 gained 1" Today is very windy yet I could smell this strain plain as day standing several feet away. I couldn't get a good photo yet because the sun is so bright, but I found the beginnings of a flower bud on the WW3 (the runt of the entire lot). The odor is similar to lemons and campfire smoke. Ironic that the strain which gave me the hardest time this growing season, is the first to start budding.

After reading another grower's lament having lost 4 pounds of his first harvest to caterpillars (I was so traumatized I had to run to my safe space), I decided to scrounge some money together and started all the plants on a scheduled weekly Monday spraying of Safer BT. I also hung a moth zapper near the garden. I may upload a few more pics this evening when the sun is kinder to my camera.

343locy.jpg
Close up of KG2's soon to be main cola
xoe78k.jpg
Side branch of ADS
rshdo6.jpg
WW1 beginning to flower

Today marks the end of flowering week 3. Our daylight hours is 13 hours, 26 minutes.
2ew2lu9.jpg

KG1 is 57" (+2 1/2"), KG2 is 55" (+1 1/2"), KG3 is 43" (+2"), KG4 is 52" (+ 1 1/2"), and KG5 is 54" (no change)
2i6gs9w.jpg

All but K3 are displaying several budlets (first noticed on Monday), and are emitting a pungent skunky smell. They are getting a little sticky with sparkly sugar leaves. While her sisters are all growing out their side branches taking the shape of small Christmas trees, K3 remains short and bushy. Weekly treatments of Safer BT continue. I hand water near the base to avoid getting their leaves wet. I have Fox Farm Tiger Bloom ready to order tomorrow. I will use it on half my plants and let the other half grow naturally, then do a side by side comparison at harvest.
2ibjiu9.jpg

ADS is 63" (+2 1/2") NN is 48" (+2 1/2"), HH is 48" (+4"), and SA is 57" (+2")
I am giving all the girls morning or late afternoon waterings every other day now as their water requirements have increased substantially.
m9q0j5.jpg

ADS and SA have no signs of budlets yet. ADS (pictured above) continues to grow long and spindly. It is unlikely the pair will reach harvest before our first frost. I may try to transplant them to containers for the last month.
nn62s5.jpg

e82141.jpg

HH (above) and NN (below) just beginning their budlet formations on main stem. I have high hopes this pair will be ready by harvest. No noticeable scent from any in this group.
2ef0nwp.jpg

WW1 is 32" (+1"), WW2 is 33" (+1"), and WW3 is 20" (+2")
This strain continues to surprise me. Whereas it was sickly and hardly growing the first 3 months of their lives, they really turned it around in the last several weeks. I found budlets on WW3 the day after the switch to flower (total daylight 14.5 hours). WW1 showed off her budlets a few days later. WW2 is the slacker of the 3. I'm anxious to get that Fox Farm fertilizer now that I know this strain requires double the nutes compared to other types of cannabis.
2qsb7sk.jpg

A close up of WW1 side branch with budlets popping up and down the stem. Wonder Woman is noted to produce dense, fat colas. From what I see developing on her, I believe this will hold true. The odor is strongest with this trio of girls. It smells like incense and spice, with a little bit of skunk thrown in.

Summary:
What I grow next year will largely depend on how it goes this year. This is our first year living here and I'm unfamiliar with the transition from summer to fall. The flowering stage blog post on ------------ has been a very accurate guide for me to follow. I feel optimistic that KG, WW, HH, and NN will finish in time. KG is advertised as being an early finisher at 7 to 9 weeks, and WW 8 to 10 weeks. If none of them are at peak ripeness by first frost, then I will likely try autoflowers next season. Optimally, I grow so much this season, I can skip a year if need be.

re: Kaya Gold & Wonder Woman - Outdoor Northern Climate

Thanks for stopping by. This is my first time growing weed. If I cannot make it to harvest in my cold climate, I will try growing in a greenhouse. I couldn't imagine growing indoors. That takes a level of commitment and skill I lack!

Today marks the end of flowering week 4. KG 1 & 3 had no change in height. KG 2 and 4 gained 1/2". KG5 gained 2 1/2". Due to no appreciable growth spurts over the past two weeks, this will be the last record of all the plants' weekly measurements. All girls were sprayed with Safer BT on Saturday. We've had a few days of part sun, strong winds, and light rain. It's raining moderately heavy right now. That Safer BT spray works like a charm. I've been picking lots of dead moths off my plants and have noticed less evidence of leaf damage. Today, I started FoxFarm Tiger Bloom on KG 1, 2 & 3, ADS, NN, and all the WW. KG 4 & 5, HH, and SA will not receive any fertilizer as long as they seem reasonably healthy. I am using half strength dosages, 1 tsp to 1 gallon. Each designated plant received one gallon of fertilized water.

j8cpqu.jpg

The Kaya Golds are covered in prominent budlets. We had a light first frost a few nights ago. I lost all my melon plants and most of my tomatoes, but so far all my weed is still alive.
qnjl8z.jpg

It's much more interesting taking pics of them now. All KGs except 5, have striking purple and white hairs, with undertones of pink. KG5 has all white hairs. My sinuses are plugged up today so judging odor was impossible.

Alyssa's Dirty Sister, Hungry Helen, and Sweet Alyssa gained 1". Naughty Natasha had no change. ADS and SA look really droopy. They have no budlets and pistil growth is vastly reduced. I doubt they will survive much more of this cold climate, but I won't throw in the towel until they're dead. NN and HH were droopy the day of the frost, but they've since bounced back.
a46gt1.jpg

NN's pretty little budlet first noticed today.
5f5cgz.jpg

HH's intense purple budlet on the top of her main cola

Wonder Woman 1 gained 1", WW2 gained 3", and WW3 gained 2" This group did not fair so well after that frost.
246v1wl.jpg

They look like weeping willows. It's raining right now. Hopefully, that will keep the frost at bay. Their flower development is much further along than the other strains.
elcoyh.jpg

All over WW1 are rapidly growing budlets with pinkish-purple and white hairs.

24nl8g0.jpg

My microscope arrived in the mail! This is the bet magnification I could get of a small sugar leaf I plucked from one of the KGs. Lots of itty bitty baby trichomes!

Life has been really hectic the last two weeks as hubby and I prepare our homestead for the coming winter. We rented a splitter, cut and stacked 7 cords of wood over Labor Day weekend. Our sole source of heat is a wood stove and we kept that baby fed around the clock from the day we moved in late November last year right up till mid May this year. I harvested the last of the root vegetables including curing and packaging about 30lbs of onions. Lots of work but it sure is a damn satisfying feeling.

Yesterday marked the end of flowering week five. Our total daylight hours today is 12 hours, 34 minutes. The weather since my last update has been sunny and dry with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the upper 40s. We have light frost most mornings. I did a few hours of research to address the frost concern. I've learned that cannabis is an incredibly resilient plant, hence why it's called a weed. I've read stories from experienced growers in northern regions who say some strains can survive temps as low as 20 (as long as it's not more than a couple of hours). One guy said his weed was still alive even after an inch of snow fell on the ground! The general consensus seems to be more caution is exercised for stormy weather than concern over frost. This reassurance alleviates me of additional anxiety I really don't need. The only question I was not able to answer was about spraying the leaves when frost is expected in the morning. Does wetting the leaves at night cause undue cellular damage when exposed to an autumn morning frost? So far the plants seem ok. They got their last Safer BT spray Tuesday evening. It can't be sprayed in the morning or during the day because of the sun exposure making BT inactive.

On the subject of nutes..........let me start off by saying how thoroughly unimpressed I am with Fox Farm Tiger Bloom. My original intent when starting on this growing adventure, was to go completely organic. I really wish I would've stuck with that. I allowed all the hype about growing fatter buds with this shit get to me.
Damn it.

The feeding instructions on the bottle state for general feedings, use 2 to 4 tsp per gallon. For heavy feedings, use 4+ tsp. I decided to play it safe and used only 1 tsp per gallon. KG1 through 3 who got the fertilized water 8 days ago, today looked visually yellowed compared to KG4 and 5. KG4 looks half yellowed and half green (the yellow part is likely bleed over from fertilizing KG3). KG5 is completely green. When I first used this fertilizer, I was of the mindset that the control group would not get any as long as they remained healthy. Now, I'm of the mindset that FoxFarm sucks and I wish I hadn't wasted my money on it.

So I've changed tactics and have gone back to organics. Yesterday, I dissolved 3 tbsp of unsulphured molasses in hot water, then mixed that into a five gallon bucket of lukewarm water. I gave all the girls equal portions of the molasses water. The idea is the molasses will feed healthy microbes in the soil which in turn break down nutrients for the cannabis roots to soak up. Afterwards, I watered the mixture in really well, making sure to avoid wetting the leaves.

j9v6e1.jpg

it is a very exciting time watching these plants transform! Here is a side branch of KG1 taken yesterday. Most of the Kayas have branches like this, with buds growing up and down their stretched stems.

11kje5f.jpg

The main cola of KG2. Hers is the thickest of the bunch. I've read reviews of KG stating the buds tend to be on the airy side, which jives with the strain's reputation of being mold and pest resistant. Dense buds come with problems. Can't win them all, I suppose. Ah well......it all tastes the same when ground up for the vaporizer or made into edibles and tinctures.

99hpa8.jpg

WW3 branch growing buds everywhere. None of the Wonder Woman group have a "main" cola, but every branch they have is covered in buds. It's hard to get a good pic with my camera because of the droopy leaves.

kebrxv.jpg

Hungry Helen with her prominent bud development

ei1mx0.jpg

Here is a crazy blow up of a sugar leaf I plucked this morning

2ugeazb.jpg

This is a better shot so you can actually tell what I'm looking at. Trichomes are still very immature which is to be expected at this stage. I'm still getting the hang of the microscope. It's been in my ear and up my nose so far. We'll see where it goes next week, lol.

Howdy skyfire! Very glad to see your grow!! I'm a couple hundred miles east of you in MT doin' the homesteading gig as well and can't wait to get sone babies in the ground in spring '17. Had no seeds this spring. It's been fixed.
Lemme ask you.... Did you leave them to grow as they would or did you do ANY training? Direct sun all day long or some shade? And did hubby get his gopher?

Hi there & thanks for stopping by. Always nice to meet another homesteader! I did zero training. I'm glad for it because I see when they are left to grow naturally, they're incredibly resilient to high winds. We're exposed to them routinely, and I haven't lost a single branch from any of the girls (at least to wind.....)

The Wonder Woman strain grows in a plot that gets about 90 minutes more sunlight than the others. All plants get full sun, no shade.

Hubby gets at least one gopher, one packrat, several chipmunks, mice, and ground squirrels on a daily basis this time of year. We get a variety of rodents trying to eat our food and live in our house. Thankfully, no further girls were injured and he is much more careful now!

2801ux.jpg

If a picture is worth a thousand words, this photo taken today of a KG2 side branch sums it up for me. Simply beautiful!

Today marks the end of flowering week 6. Our total daylight today is 12 hours, 12 minutes. We had a day of hard rain this week. Other than that, it's been sunny and light winds during the day, progressively colder at night. We've had two days of moderate frost and overnight lows at 32 degrees. This morning all the buds and leaves of every plant were covered in frost top to bottom and looking really droopy. I thought for sure KG5 was a goner; she looked so black and wilted. A few hours later after the sun came up, all the frost melted away and the leaves that didn't suffer irreversible damage (almost all), perked right back up. It's amazing how resilient cannabis is.

2zzl0ly.jpg
acfqk6.jpg

The Kaya Golds are really starting to look pretty now. I tried to get a good close up so you guys can see the vibrant pink hairs coming from the buds. All five KGs are covered in buds like this. They are finally taking on their final, classic weed form we all love so much! I did my first pruning of all the plants yesterday and today. I took off leaves that were completely dead or almost dead, paying special attention to leaves dragging on the ground and in the middle of each bush. I haven't seen any evidence of PM yet, but we are headed into that season so I figured might as well take off the dead leaves, open up air circulation. KG1 and 2 had the most leaves pruned. KG5 barely had any leaves needing to be pruned off and she's still the greenest, most healthy looking plant of them all. I noticed yesterday that the buds of all the plants smell like pesticide. I don't think it's actually because of pesticide though. I only use the Safer BT and that last time was a week ago. Plus, none of the other strains smell like this and they get sprayed the same as the Kayas. I suspect the offensive odor must be natural to this strain.

6ycm0y.jpg

Wonder Woman continues to live and the buds continue to grow, exhibiting snow white hairs up and down her branches. All three plants had a moderate amount of pruning. This strain isn't holding up to the colder weather as well as the others, but the buds are still growing so all is not lost yet! The odor they are now emitting is freaking amazing. All of them smell just like sweet tarts candy. Wasn't expecting that at all!

207ky9e.jpg

Hungry Helen and Naughty Natasha look identical in size, shape, and flower development. Neither has any detectable odor. After comparing them to photos and descriptions on NirvanaShop's website, I suspect these mystery girls are Blue Mystic. I wish I could find out for sure, see how good my deduction skills are.
ADS and SA have no change; nothing new to report with those two.

30t3z9f.jpg

Here is a close up of a KG sugar leaf I plucked today. The trichs haven't even developed their mushroom heads yet. Still a long way to go. Glad I got some permafrost, sage n sour, & blue dream to keep me occupied while I wait!

I'm on the fence about whether or not to continue with the weekly Safer BT spraying. The weather is much colder now and I'm not seeing much moth activity in the garden. Even the zapper barely makes noise whereas it was going off like a slot machine just a few weeks ago. This product must be used in the late afternoon/early evening in order to work. Wetting the leaves at night doesn't seem like a good idea anymore. Then again, I don't want to find worms in my bud. What to do, what to do.......

According to Nirvana's advertising, Kaya Gold's flowering period lasts 7 to 9 weeks. In theory, KG could be ready to harvest next week. In reality, I'm thinking 3 weeks is much more likely. I'm going to give one more molasses feeding to all the girls this evening, then I'm going to call it good & just give them plain water from here on out.

Good morning Skyfire...
Glad to hear the frost didn't hit them too hard! In case of a hard frost( we know it can happen at any moment now) do you have the means to cover them until the days temps come back up?
Even hillbilly hoop house style?
My locale almost always gets an early September killing frost for most gardens. I've been able to protect my tomatoes effectively to get into November without a greenhouse. My girlfriend, otoh, loses to frost in spring AND fall. Life is not fair. She has been a practicing vegetarian for 35 or so years...

Hi ETET!

I don't have the means to cover them up. Every piece of tarp we own is dedicated to covering something else. As much as I love my weed, she falls below a lot of things on the importance scale, like the wood we cut to keep the house warm over winter. That's what most of the tarp is covering right now, that and our farming equipment because we haven't built a barn yet. Money is tight. I've been doing what I can, watering them at night while avoiding wetting the leaves. Shaking the dew from their branches first thing in the morning. I'm reluctant to interfere too much because part of me needs to know which strains can survive out here with minimal care. I can't deal with an overly needy plant when I have so many other projects on the homestead needing my attention. I feel optimistic that Kaya Gold will bless me with a bountiful harvest. If the others don't survive, I will cry, be more choosy in what strains I buy for next season, but at least I'll know for sure which ones are tough enough make it out here. Awesome your girl is veggie. I was vegan for 3 1/2 years. I went back to eating meat when the vegan diet became detrimental to my health. Now, we burn too many calories on the homestead to be veggies, but I don't regret those days at all.
Good morning Skyfire...
Glad to hear the frost didn't hit them too hard! In case of a hard frost( we know it can happen at any moment now) do you have the means to cover them until the days temps come back up?
Even hillbilly hoop house style?
My locale almost always gets an early September killing frost for most gardens. I've been able to protect my tomatoes effectively to get into November without a greenhouse. My girlfriend, otoh, loses to frost in spring AND fall. Life is not fair. She has been a practicing vegetarian for 35 or so years...

Today marks the end of flowering week 7. Our total daylight hours today is 11 hours, 47 minutes. The weather this past week has been on the warmer side; highs in the upper 70's to low 80s, and overnight lows in the high 50s. We had one day of moderate rain on Friday. Other than that, it's been dry and sunny with a steady gentle breeze. Quite the change from the week before when overnight temps dipped below 32 degrees F. The last and final dose of Safer BT was applied Thursday. Saturday I noticed my Wonder Woman group began smelling like pesticide too. It is very unappealing and worrisome. I don't want to ingest something that smells unnatural. I decided to begin the flush early just in case it is the pesticide causing the odor. Today, the KGs (where I first noticed the scent) smell less like pesticide. It is going away slowly, thank GOD. I'm going to call this day 6 of the flush. All they get is plain water. No more molasses either.

kehx7l.jpg
25tzwp0.jpg

Now that our daylight is below the magical 12 hour mark coveted by our indoor growing friends, the sativa sisters (Sweet Alyssa and Alyssa's Dirty Sister) are finally waking up & adorning their flowery dresses, bringing with them a light scent of fresh pine. They will not make it to harvest as they are just now flowering, but it will be fun to see how far they will grow before succumbing to our unforgiving environment. Here in the highlands, Father Winter comes early bringing a few feet of snow with him.

1zxljkn.jpg

KG1 through 4 have more yellow leaves than green. KG5 is mostly green with a little bit of yellow and more purple leaves towards the upper half of the bush. KG5's colas are covered in white hairs whereas KG1 through 4 have pink and purple hairs. I wonder how much the one dose of TB I gave them impacted the colors they're exhibiting or if it's even related. The pesticide smell on the KGs is slowly subsiding. I detected a faint peppery smell on KG1, a nice change from the overwhelming chemical odor they've been emitting for the past two weeks.

jh63b9.jpg

Main cola of KG5. Notice how purple the surrounding leaves are. The other KGs have few or no purple leaves in comparison.

anycyc.jpg
1ovtso.jpg

Main cola of KG1. Surrounding leaves are mostly yellow.

ajrpdg.jpg

Hungry Helen doing her thing, growing her purple spiky looking buds with no prominent yellowing or leaf loss. Naughty Natasha suffered more frost damage than Helen, but she's still hanging in there, growing buds identical to her sister. To my very pleasant surprise, NN and HH are giving off an odor of skunk and blueberries. I just detected it this morning. It smells so nice! The mystery seed group (SA, ADS, NN, and HH) never smelled like pesticide even though they were sprayed the same as the KGs and WWs. This makes me think it's not the Safer BT which caused the odor because why doesn't this group smell like chemicals? Sometimes this shit can be really confusing.......

1znncl5.jpg

A side branch of WW1. It's so hard to take a photo in a way that you guys see what I see. Wonder Woman has long, slender fingers for leaves which droop like a weeping willow, hiding all the precious buds growing on the stems. I was pretty bummed when I noticed the smell changed from sweet tarts candy to chemical crap last week. Today, the odor is subsiding, but still present. This group takes longer to mature, advertised as having an 8 to 10 week flowering period. Hopefully the smell will be completely gone by harvest.

2e6hvfn.jpg

Here is a fresh sugar leaf plucked from KG1 this morning. Now this is the kind of pic I've been waiting for! I tried putting a sugar leaf between two pieces of picture frame glass my hubby cut for me to use as slides. Unfortunately, the type of microscope I have only reflected the glass making it difficult to see anything clearly. And here I was trying to be all scientific n shit. Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm looking at, (still having difficulty discerning milky trichomes from clear ones) but it looks like KG is nearing the finish line.

73pgrp.jpg

Here is one more of the same leaf. I wonder if buds on the same branch mature at different rates. I see a lot of people will cut whole branches down at harvest time, but what if the bud at the top of the bush which got the most light, has milky and amber colored trichomes while the bud buried towards the inner bottom of that same branch still has white hairs sticking out all over the place? Does it still make sense to cut the whole branch or do some people cut individual buds as they are ready? I read somewhere that cutting buds rather than whole branches, also helped identify cattie problems early before they destroy the entire cola. Now that I've made the decision to discontinue spraying, I will be hyper vigilant ensuring there are no worms feasting on my hard work. This will be my study assignment for the week: how to harvest in a way that maximizes potency and quality of my cannabis.

I feel like a marathon runner with a couple of miles left. Those last two are always the longest. So close yet a major catastrophe and I lose my entire crop. I can barely take the stress. Where's my vape? Ah....much better :D

:thumb:

Wow, wow, wow! I can't wait to see these finished! Growing outside must be amazing, but I'm pretty sure the lack of control would make me super crazy. Nutters you could say. :laughtwo:

I really hope your weather cooperates and lets these finish to their full potential. I'd like to see that. I would not want to be the one trimming it all though. Nope. Nope, nope, nope, nope. I hope you'll have help.

:hookah:

Lol! Skyfire, you must have signed the same "waiver of responsibility" I did. I am out of tarps as well. No barn yet as well. No wood in as yet but I store it on the "stump" mostly. It's good exercise( I keep telling myself) what I DO have is livestock that eats and leaves me the processed goods. It's the digested leavins' that help get warmth beneath the desired crops to keep from frost. I use yard sale blankets, sheets or anything similar, move as much manure as I can work onto the sheet, roll it up lengthwise along the base of the plant row and let the simplest of science do its thing. The manure doesn't touch the plants through the fabric. Heat rises. Manure breaking down produces heat. Sometimes it's only a couple degrees that makes the difference in whether I'm eating tomatoes from my garden at thanksgiving or flavorless, pretty tomatoes from who knows where. I don't have a cannabis crop this year but I'd absolutely prefer buying pretty tomatoes than subpar weed if all things to my table were equal.
I just hate seeing all your beautiful work and gained applied knowledge get wasted by a couple degrees in temperature...

Well, ya sold me on manure :D Unfortunately, all we have right now is chicken manure and not much of it being there's only 3 of them. We have some left over black paint I will use on some empty milk jugs if need be. Should the temp permanently drop below sustainability, I'll fill the blackened jugs with hot water and leave them to heat all day in the sun so they'll keep the plants warmer at night. I'm willing to do that. I'm thinking at the end of week 8, I may be able to harvest a few buds from the Kayas. They're getting really close!

Next spring (finances willing) we will get a pair of goats and MAYBE a few head of beef cattle. Hubby is all over that idea, but I want to make sure we know what the hell we're doing before we take on the responsibility of caring for animals that large. I'll have more poop next year. :)

Back
Top Bottom