Kushtie - ShortStuff Autos In NFT

Just another bud pic of Cassandra's pink bits ;)

mix1212-1.jpg

pH has been from 5.7 to 6.3 mostly....got a bit higher yesterday because I've not been paying enough attention last couple of days. Back on it now though and my plants don't seem to mind brief spells at higher pH. When pH was going down between top ups I couldn't afford to take chances on letting it drift too far out of range at the low end or the plants freak out but when pH is going up, going out of range at the top end seems to be a bit less of an issue. If it stays under 6.5 I don't worry too much ;)

Daily top up routine goes something like mixing up a watering can of full strength bloom nutes (7ml/l), pour it in the tanks, wait for it to settle, check pH, mix up some diluted pH down, pour some in the tanks, wait for it to settle, check pH, pour some more diluted pH down in if required,.......

I prefer to try to make small adjustments as I go and the time it takes to make and smoke a joint seems to be long enough to let things settle before checking again. If I want to be really sure things have settled a cup of tea and another joint ;)

You should try adding some molasses along with your feeds. You may need to keep a wee eye on the tanks and pumps but with 1 tbsp per gallon if water then it shouldnt pose any problems. If you can do a side by side grow with same seeds as each other, feed both as normal and use mollases (black treacle) with one tank. That will give you a good indication of how much extra growth you would get compared with just feed only. If you find it gives an exta few grams then you can do that with your subsequent grows, it also helps with resin production. By the way am getting some good return of bubble from your trim. 2.5g from the autos and mix in total, and working my way through the vk. That stuff is giving a nice yield. Will post a pic once it all dried and away for its final cure. The best is still yet to cum though. 2 final bags of trim with a shed load of dust and then all the popcorn buds. Gonna do that seperate from all the rest. Should notice a difference in quality.

Glad you're enjoying the trim bud :thumb:

This grow is all about keeping it simple with just grow and bloom nutes. There will be no adding of supplements if it can be avoided.

I want to experiment with supplements but don't have enough plants behind me to have a well established control point that I can compare against yet. I do not know what is in molasses or black treacle that my plants can use directly as I don't think they can use sugars and when used in soil grows it's for feeding bacteria which turns it into stuff the plants can use. Adding it to hydro sounds like a bad idea to me.

That a fair forest for autos!

Black treacle is almost the same as molasses and only £1.50 for a tin which will last ages. Cheaper to use that rather than specislist nutes which cost a fortune for a small bottle. The molasses/treacle has sugars which the plant can use and micro nutes which increases the bud production. Will see if i can find the article on using them and send you the link. It was a suggestion of doing a side by side grow - same plants, both the same feed and using molasses/treacle for one to see what difference there is.

May i add two cents with your current grow? When over half way of flowering do some defoliation. This will allow more light to your lower bud sites. There are articles on here that will show you how to do it but some people say not to while others say it is good for the plants. Perhaps do it with one of them and see how things progress. You wont harm the plant much nor will it be any great loss to those lower sites if you found it didnt work. From what i have read and seen it should work just fine. More direct light as opposed to shaded light would grow bigger buds.

And it's just 2 autos after 40 days! :)

Am hoping to try some smaller (allegedly!) autos in the near future which might enable me to experiment on a smaller scale rather than risk half a harvest. Still fancy a new light but instead of decommissioning the old light I might just make my room bigger so I can run both and have more room to play with ;)

Starting to pluck dead leaves from the bottom up but there's a few fan leaves at the net that I'm starting to think I'd be better off without so I might start taking off a few up there too. I don't like doing any more fiddling than I need to lol :)

Hey glasgrow that would be a good read !! If you post it, and kushtie does like to admit how good of a grower he is

This is one of the links I found: Do Carbohydrate Supplements Really Produce Bigger Yields and Root Systems in Hydroponic Gardens?

It seems to be telling me that if I feed them well enough my plants should be fine and if I do want to use supplements to push things further I should buy ones formulated for the job. That was the easiest thing I found to believe anyway.....adding carbs might help but molasses or treacle isn't the way to do it in hydro.

I'll also try to remember to ask the guys at the hydro shop for their opinion too ;)

Day 42 - been adding full strength bloom nutes to both tanks and now needing to add over 5L to each res each day. Raquel (the one on the left that has green flowers) has been doing the most stretching and the EC has been creeping up to 2.6 so tonight so far I've added 5L at half strength and am having a joint while it settles and I start adding pH down (probably). Cassandra is now being the well behaved one and the EC was still 2.0 so she got full strength nutes and when I check pH after this post it'll probably just a wee trickle of diluted phosphoric acid to knock the pH below 5.8 so it can climb back up :)

Did read something the other day that nitric acid was better as a pH down in veg but phosphoric acid in flower. Haven't a clue why but I use phosphoric acid because that is what came in the GT205 NFT kits I bought.

mix1512-1.jpg

mix1512-2.jpg

mix1512-3.jpg

mix1512-4.jpg

Kushtie my dude, your grow is looking great! What kind of camera do you have? You take some of the best pics ever :) :)
I'll take a read of the molasses thing, hey if -will you come take a vote in my first grow on what I should grow and how many plants I should have in a 3x3x5'3 tent. You should be able to get to my grow from signature. I hope it's working! Thank you

Well Camo buddy, the good news is I'd use the same lens for photographing babies as I would buds - a macro lens between 60 and 100mm. Could be a few hundred buckeroos well spent there. ;)

I'll break out the DSLR and macro lenses again soon but for day 45 it's just a pic from a wee camera :)

mix1812-1.jpg

Dunno what Raquel is yet but she's only just finished stretching and starting to fatten buds. Cassandra was supposed to be the tall one but she just gets fatter by the day.

Should probably check pH or something....time to skin up again :) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom