Laquer Head's Indoor Organic Obsession: 2018

If it is PH it could be the soil itself. Get a soil ph checker if you can. Those little kits where you ad water and the special solution and shake it up work well. I always tend to wilfully ignore the question of Ph because a well rounded soil buffers naturally right? Well yes it does, for the most part. but if ratios go out, like VS mentioned, then maybe not so much. It was my soil I ended up testing (my garden helper is PH obsesssed so he made me check it - and he was right, that time ;) ). Quick soil test will help with patience too! Give you something to focus on for a few days while the plant has time to respond to the latest adjustment you’ve made (which can take up to a week or so). :thumb:
Depending on your soil and what amendments you use...the pH can swing quite substantially over time. For my first grow my soil was about 6.8. As the soil sat for a few more months it must have drifted up. When I started having issues similar to LH's, I decided to pH my water and water slowly to slight run off. I measured the pH of the run of and the 6.5 pH water was 7.4-7.5 on the run off.

I didn't test it before starting to grow in it since it was 6.8 the first time I checked. Since then, I went back to pH'ing my ACT to a desirable range and all my issues have disappeared.

Its a possibility his soil pH could be off but with his input being RO, its less likely the herd struggles to keep everything in the right ranges. Worth a test for sure.

Decided to stop holding back on the top dresses. Gave it over a cup of some what seems to be some high quality worm castings (mother earth) mixed with fungal compost from KIS Organics. Which is also worm castings. Along with a few tablespoons of gypsum and going to water in with a kelp/ewc tea that also has some TM-7 added to it, and microbes to replenish what's probably dead! Sounds like a lot on paper...but realllllyy not digging the overall health of the plant currently. Time to try something different!

The LA drank over 2 gallons tonight...with being watered as slow as possible, then lights went out. Will probably give it another half gallon or so tomorrow. Peat moss is near impossible to rehydrate, took me over an hour and a half just to avoid water running out the bottom. That I'm sure was the majority of my problem. I'd really like to get this hand watering down before I move onto blu mats or the like. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the automation but would also like to be able to appreciate the "art" of hand watering. Its definitely been an issue this first go round!

One thing that can help with that is bottom up top down watering. You fill the tray first and let that wick up into the pot and alternate between that and watering slowly into the top. You aim for about half and half.

If you veg in smaller pots, up to about 3gal, but whatever you can lift, I highly recommend Docs dunking method - which I can link to here I think, seeing As he’s a sponsor now.

How We Water

This method is good whether you’re using his kit in soil or not. It really works. I did it when they were small and they loved it!

:Namaste:

One thing that can help with that is bottom up top down watering. You fill the tray first and let that wick up into the pot and alternate between that and watering slowly into the top. You aim for about half and half.

If you veg in smaller pots, up to about 3gal, but whatever you can lift, I highly recommend Docs dunking method - which I can link to here I think, seeing As he’s a sponsor now.

How We Water

This method is good whether you’re using his kit in soil or not. It really works. I did it when they were small and they loved it!

:Namaste:
Hmm that is super smart !

The LA drank over 2 gallons tonight...with being watered as slow as possible, then lights went out. Will probably give it another half gallon or so tomorrow. Peat moss is near impossible to rehydrate, took me over an hour and a half just to avoid water running out the bottom. That I'm sure was the majority of my problem. I'd really like to get this hand watering down before I move onto blu mats or the like. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the automation but would also like to be able to appreciate the "art" of hand watering. Its definitely been an issue this first go round!
Don't give it more water that soon. Two gallons will last it a while LH. Let it drink some of that before you water again.

Can you partially water from the bottom in the future? I usually split my waterings. About a third goes in the saucer from below and the rest gets watered from the top.

I almost asked on Vans thread if the dunking that the brixy people used would work! But boy that would be heavy. It would also leech some nutrients at this point wouldn't it?

I could try a tray tho, so I don't lose those valuable nutrients!
I don't dunk. My pots are larger 7 to 10 gallons..no way I am picking it up to dunk with my back injury. So I do what Amy mentioned......split watering. I slowly start watering from the top. Do about half of what I will give from the top and then I water the 1/3 into the saucer below. It can take a bit for it suck it up. I sometimes water for a few minutes and then go sit down and watch 10 min of TV and come back and sloly add a bit more to the top and let it slowly work through.

I can generally tell how much to add based on the weight of the plant. Sometimes my girls in 10 gallon pots only get a gallon if they feel a little weight in them. Again, I split the watering. Other times if they are really chugging the water, I give them 2 gallons. For me the key is just not overwatering.

For sure, thanks Van! I'm gonna try bottom watering next time around as well. The reason I was gonna give it a half gallon again today was due to the fact I think it could have drank another whole gallon last night if time would have permitted. Still think its a bad idea? I definitely dont want her drying out like that again!

Yeah thats what i meant by top down - bottom up. Half in the saucer, half on the top. Van does a third in the bottom - but same principle.

The dunking method as I said is for smaller pots! Up to whatever depending on ones strength.

Top down bottom up will help stop that run through when the plant is dry. I like to let the bottom soak up quite a bit before starting the top down part.

:thumb;

For sure, thanks Van! I'm gonna try bottom watering next time around as well. The reason I was gonna give it a half gallon again today was due to the fact I think it could have drank another whole gallon last night if time would have permitted. Still think its a bad idea? I definitely dont want her drying out like that again!
She doesn't need a full watering every time. I adjust my amounts all the time. Think about nature. Nature doesn't give plants the same amount of water each time it rains.

In 10 gallon pots, I can generally max water with 2 gallons. Generally I will water between 1 and 2 gallons each time a water (depending on how heavy she is). I usually water every 5-6 days in veg and every 4 days or so in flower.

In my 7 or 8 gallon pots, I can generally max water 1.5 gallons but will generally water between half and 1.5 gallons and the days are about the same as above.

On the rare occasion I grow in 5 gallon , it will hold about 1 gallon max so I generally feed between half and 1 gallon.

I NEVER water back to back days. You can always add a little water on top if you don't like the top being dry. If the plant needs water, the roots will find it. Let them do their thing. Don't make it too easy on them. More roots, more shoots. You get bigger roots by making them search in veg. Flower you don't want to let them dry out as much.

Getting the IPM foliar ready for tonight! The concoction goes as follows (per gallon of water):
1 Tbsp Neem Oil
1 Tsp of Yucca Extract (emulsified with the neem first)
1/4 tsp Aloe Vera 200 x
5-10 drops Essential Oil (lavender this time around, usually alternate with peppermint which is super deadly regarding spider mites)

Probably going to spray every 2-3 days about ~3 times to hopefully annhialate any pests that may be trying to make a home during the precious flowing period. May not be necessary but will do so anyway unless the plant tells me otherwise. I doubt I'll order beneficial insects so I find this step to be very important!

Are you having success with this level of spray. I found to knoeck out a active spider mite infestation takes more than a 1% solution of neem to water, so I do a 2% solution. at 256 tbsp per gallon that would be more like 5 tbsp neem to a gallon of water - but then you have other good stuff and are doing IPM. :)

Are you having success with this level of spray. I found to knoeck out a active spider mite infestation takes more than a 1% solution of neem to water, so I do a 2% solution. at 256 tbsp per gallon that would be more like 5 tbsp neem to a gallon of water - but then you have other good stuff and are doing IPM. :)
I've had zero anything flying around...its really nice actually to be able to focus on just growing and not dealing with an infestation of any kind. Although I've even kind of neglected the growing part as well....either way, spraying once a week with that "dilution" has worked for me :thumb: I wouldn't really even want to go much over as the ahimsa neem oil I use is super strong stuff...I've even went a half tbsp at one point!

Nice to see you here btw! Not sure you've been by before...but I could use all the advice I can get lol!

Okay, got a rather large update coming! At least for me anyway. I suppose ill start with the biggest upset so far, the LA Confidential. It does seem to be getting a little healthier, its the most the leaves have stood up in over a week or two (and they're still not close to praying)...so I'd say that's some improvement. Im really not the one to waste my time trying to get a plant to recover however..so I've been seriously contemplating starting over with something new. Definitely don't want the stress its already dealt with to effect the smoke in the end. Any suggestions or advice on that? Wait it out? Wait a week and watch for improvement - then decide? Or just tough it out all the way through? Anywho - here she was this morning!

Definitely looking for some advice on this one...wait it out or cull it and try again? I have no qualms about wasting 2 months on it - however it does suck a little!

Cinderella update coming next!

Now for the Cinderella update...not a whole lot to update on her but she's definitely thriving on day 30 now! Gave her her first IPM yesterday, doesn't seem to have bothered her. She'll probably get a drink of ACT or fish hydrosylate in the morning! I also haven't got the chance to top her like I'd like to but we'll get there.

Now for part of what's been keeping me so stinking busy (aside from the job). Got the outdoor garden to a spot im more comfortable with, and finally got some things in the ground! Doesn't really relate to cannabis other than the mulch it will create and the raised beds are also based off of the no till mix (neem, crab, kelp, lots of minerals)..only with lesser quantities on the "hot" stuff! So I suppose its relative - and me and the ol' lady want to show it off :slide::yahoo: still have quite a ways to go to get everything how we want but definitely making progress for the first year. Here's the pics

Didn't grab any pictures of the outdoor plot but the vegetation around it is coming in thick. Definitely going to be all the camoflauging I could possibly need. Got a branch or two to clean up as well as they might block a little bit of mid day sun. Will get some pictures of this in the next few days!

Thanks for following along with us! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom