Lets Talk Coco! Organics & Salts

I never flush. With coco it is better to feed at a low strength more often then it is to feed high strenth less often.

Im not sure about the schultz right now. that stuff is probably super concentrated. Your plants are so small that anything too strong will likely stunt and slow growth considerably.

I hope you can figure it out.

I will monitor the schultz, I did use less than recommended.

The 2 bottles, 1 is marked A and one is Marked B... So they seem to be 2 different formulas. Since its a in house nute mix, I will have inquire with my friend who gave it to me. He had a much better understanding, of what the 2 bottles where. Since this is my first time I am in way over my head in terms of nutes. I am realizing going with a soil based grow likely woulda been a little easier to be able to rely on nutrients in the soil. My buddy just threw all this stuff at me, and sorta planted in my head that Coco was by far the best, and that all I needed were these two bottles and boom Id be on the way to success. But he didnt get into detail about why this was the best/easiest for me. :p But hey I am enjoying the learning. Just not 100% confident in this 100% coco. If nothing else I walk away learning, which I am perfectly okay with. Since I had never expected to get this far. My friend said Germinating and getting it this far is the hardest part... I beg to differ :p.

I give great respect to those who can cultivate such beautiful works of natural art!

I never flush. With coco it is better to feed at a low strength more often then it is to feed high strenth less often.

Im not sure about the schultz right now. that stuff is probably super concentrated. Your plants are so small that anything too strong will likely stunt and slow growth considerably.

I hope you can figure it out.

I will monitor the schultz, I did use less than recommended.

The 2 bottles, 1 is marked A and one is Marked B... So they seem to be 2 different formulas. Since its a in house nute mix, I will have inquire with my friend who gave it to me. He had a much better understanding, of what the 2 bottles where. Since this is my first time I am in way over my head in terms of nutes. I am realizing going with a soil based grow likely woulda been a little easier to be able to rely on nutrients in the soil. My buddy just threw all this stuff at me, and sorta planted in my head that Coco was by far the best, and that all I needed were these two bottles and boom Id be on the way to success. But he didnt get into detail about why this was the best/easiest for me. :p But hey I am enjoying the learning. Just not 100% confident in this 100% coco. If nothing else I walk away learning, which I am perfectly okay with. Since I had never expected to get this far. My friend said Germinating and getting it this far is the hardest part... I beg to differ :p.

I give great respect to those who can cultivate such beautiful works of natural art!

Coco is a great choice. You will get it handled.

I cant express how much I appreciate the help! Ill post new pics later today.

I have no doubt ill figure it out, especially with all the help available.

Thanks.

I have a question of sorts. I plan on planting a couple more seeds sometime very soon and want to have my medium in good shape. I plan on doing 50/50 coco/perlite in smart pots and got way more than I'll need so I'm wondering on the drawbacks of mixing it now even though I may not use it for a couple weeks. I plan on starting them in 1 gal smarties and just replanting them straight into 5 gal as growth progresses. I'll be using Pureblend Pro organic nutes and will amend the medium with azomite and mycos. I will also most likely incorporate some floralicious plus and liquid Koolbloom I have left over.

So, to summarize, Can I go ahead and mix my tote-full of medium now (i.e. reconstituting the coco and mixing in my perlite, azomite and mycos)? I don't plan on doing a "super soil", so it shouldn't need to "cook" to prepare, but I want things to be ready to rock in say 2 weeks.

coco really is easy enough it was also my first real indoor grow i used fox farms grow and bloom it went well enough, the thing about coco is it very versatile as long as your providing some mild food they will be fine while you get your knowledge base put together i learned most of what i know right here on 420mag you can dig thru my past journals for lots of info i have been using it since the first post o my first journal i did not know much, i added some coco,perlite and a tsp of epsoma garden lime available at home d and many other garden centers thats for the extra cal mag needed to make coco happy and avoid the possible deficiencies from there you can use most any nutes i find the results with coco always outperform any soil grows ive done be it synthetic or organic nutes even using it as a medium for high brix i was able to get truely impressive brix numbers i think you will do well in coco

\m/ 00 \m/

I have a question of sorts. I plan on planting a couple more seeds sometime very soon and want to have my medium in good shape. I plan on doing 50/50 coco/perlite in smart pots and got way more than I'll need so I'm wondering on the drawbacks of mixing it now even though I may not use it for a couple weeks. I plan on starting them in 1 gal smarties and just replanting them straight into 5 gal as growth progresses. I'll be using Pureblend Pro organic nutes and will amend the medium with azomite and mycos. I will also most likely incorporate some floralicious plus and liquid Koolbloom I have left over.

So, to summarize, Can I go ahead and mix my tote-full of medium now (i.e. reconstituting the coco and mixing in my perlite, azomite and mycos)? I don't plan on doing a "super soil", so it shouldn't need to "cook" to prepare, but I want things to be ready to rock in say 2 weeks.
that sounds like a good plan if you add some molasses and maybe some of the nutes (precharge)it will give the mykos time to colonize the coco keep it evely moist ,covered and above 75f and you should see some mycellium growth on the surface in 2 weeks, i say go for it

\m/ 00 \m/

I was playing around with my Camera and thought Id post my little stop motion :p.

IMG_20140715_120406_hdr.jpg
Here she is, been a few days since last pic. The leaves are sorta morphing a bit not sure if thats normal? Hows she looking?

Lookin fine to me too. Like your friend said seedlings is the trickiest stage of a plants life. I still have hard times with them believe it or not. Once you get the hang of it though you will notice when the plant has little to no stress the plant will mature a bit quicker and get you on your way a little faster. when they get stunted it takes extra time which in turn means extra power consumption.

Yours will be on its way soon.

Sorry BID I hope you dont mind me chiming in here. I have turned into a bit of a coco-NUT myself.

oh shotta your welcome in any o my journals btw my bubba og is a beauty and i will feature her in the next few months she does not care for cold i learned ,, coco is the shit imo and she loves it now i had to get her used to my enviro and glr now the mum is looking a big beautiful lady when i take clones i'll put her in flower

Awesome cant wait to see her.

Off to work will be back later tonight.

I've asked this question before, but having it in this thread may be helpful as well.

When growing in coco, do you use the nutrient and pH recommendations for soil? or hydro? Some (most) nutrient mfg's will delineate on their feeding schedules whether coco, soil or hydro, but I've also found some growers have settled on a "middle ground" or have their own thoughts on it. I mixed my medium last night and will turn it after a few days. I mixed coco/perlite (about 60/40) in a big tub w/lid. I added about 1/4 cup of azomite and about half the package of Xtreme Mykos (I had a 100g pkg). I saved some of the mykos for transplant mid-grow.

So, I'm going to do coco + organic nutes (Botanicare PureBlend Pro). I didn't get any other amendments for the medium and expect I will run this round as a fairly basic grow this time, but just looking to step up my game a little. My past grows have produced some pure fire regarding potency, but I'm aiming to enhance more of those interesting flavors and aromas as well.

I've asked this question before, but having it in this thread may be helpful as well.

When growing in coco, do you use the nutrient and pH recommendations for soil? or hydro? Some (most) nutrient mfg's will delineate on their feeding schedules whether coco, soil or hydro, but I've also found some growers have settled on a "middle ground" or have their own thoughts on it. I mixed my medium last night and will turn it after a few days. I mixed coco/perlite (about 60/40) in a big tub w/lid. I added about 1/4 cup of azomite and about half the package of Xtreme Mykos (I had a 100g pkg). I saved some of the mykos for transplant mid-grow.

So, I'm going to do coco + organic nutes (Botanicare PureBlend Pro). I didn't get any other amendments for the medium and expect I will run this round as a fairly basic grow this time, but just looking to step up my game a little. My past grows have produced some pure fire regarding potency, but I'm aiming to enhance more of those interesting flavors and aromas as well.

What size pots? and what type of pots?

I have treated my coco like hydro maintainig my nutrient solution from about 5.8-6.0. Feeding them at least once a day.
The plants will grow much faster in coco and produce more hydro like yields. Pure blend pro should produce a nice finished product but the reason I didnt like it is that its not too good on being ph stable whereas most coco specific nutrients have a nice ph stability.

Get some ca/mg as well you should be golden. I did soil for a long time and it was nice but the coco is working out much better for a perpetual type grow and I like the fact that I can use a 2 gallon pot and veg half the time and still yield more than a 5 gallon pot with soil vegged twice as long as my coco pots.

Bids coco-blend is probably leaning more on the soil side of things since he amends his with food for the micro herd. I will let him chime in on that.

I ran coco with and without perlite and so far I like the canna coco straight out of the bag the plants are stacking much better and less of the pesky gnats around. with the perlite in the pots I seemed to have more of them little shits around.

i keep saying it coco is so dang versatile i ammend like you might in soil but i still see the hyper growth and get those sick as boobies flavors like with a great organic or high brix grow, when i do synthferts i like to run at 5.8ph and under 2000 ppm actually i prefer under 1800 in organics reg or hb i have never tested ph after getting my first little read off the runoff of the first watering and as long as its not anything really way off i dont mess with it again ans ppms would likely read "yes" or "all" lol since mostall your foods go in the coco before your plants

i water every day for the most part yes i do skip a day every few days, but heres the thing about coco it physically holds more air and water than any other medium that i know of,by watering everyday im putting MORE DISOLVED OXYGEN in the medium than watering less often, see the plants use the o2 pretty quickly,then theres less o2, by adding water its pulling more o2 down into the coco, i also keep a couple buckets bubbleing 24/7 , one is usually nutes&mykos, the other anything from plain water to humate tea, i rarely put plain h2o in my plants, if im using reg salt ferts i always ph everything to 5.8, so contrary to the "soil mindset" watering daily in coco keeps MORE o2 in the rootzone, it is more or less impossible to overwater using coco as long as the container is well drained, i have actually tried to drown a plant by overwatering, the result was that plant grew faster than all the others!!! (enough proof for me)
i read extensively on this and im not the first to discover this charateristic of coco.
and the other reason for this practise is when coco dries out the suspended nutrients in the water dry out and begin to crystalize this can cause the ph to rise or fall sharply, this can be very bad obviously, and with organic nutrients it can cause massive microbe die off locking nutes out completely untill the microherd is re-established, because coco "looks" so similar to soil we are easily fooled into treating it like soil, i assure you its behavior and subsequent treatment are very different, its hydro for all intensive purposes, so just like its a bad idea to let your res get to low and nute levels rise to the point the ph goes wonky and plants get nute burn, the coco is the res and the medium at the same time, , in any form of hydro the more disolved o2 in the solution the better the same concept directly applies to coco, well guys i hope that clears it up as to why i water most everyday,:thumb:
bear in mind when i grow in soil i dont apply this technique, i let them dry out real good, several times during the cycles,kinda like they talk about in the green house seed co vids.

Rockwool also holds lots of oxygen even when fully wet. I have grown a few pants in pure rockwool. The best result I got was to water it daily or every other day, but with just a little water. The best results I've seen was this guy that watered his pure rockwool plants three times a day. He only watered a 5 gallon with a little water each time.

I also try to water with a little water daily in coco.

I try to water my coco 3-4 times a week. Always try to hit 5.7 but don't F with it if its anywhere close. I have noticed my house plants that I have given some of my girls food have some serious salt build up after a week or so with no H20.

I have been feeding my outside girls from the hose so have been adding lime to the mix to try and keep the pH down. My hose is about 6.2-6.5

Here she is, 6 days of being in the Coco Coir.
IMG_20140718_110101.jpg
IMG_20140718_110056.jpg
IMG_20140718_110044.jpg

Shottafire, I found a really easy solution that has kept my plants safe from fungus gnats.

I put about an inch to two inches of play sand on top of my pots. The gnats can't get through the sand. It is like a barrier of glass to them. If larvae is in the soil, they can't get out because the sand.

I also put up a few yellow stick papers, but the sand is what keeps my plants safe. This lets me run 40-50% perlite with my coco and I have no issues with gnats anymore. I used to have them bad.

Back
Top Bottom