LKV 420 Outdoor Grow Journal 2022

Hi LKV. :ciao: Your plants are looking really nice, and I'm glad they are bouncing back from that heat spell we had.
i saw my first full flower on all plants on Aug 1st .
Aug 1st is pretty late in the season for outdoor plants to begin flowering cycle. I'm afraid your plants probably won't be ready until mid October. Also by looking at your pictures, they don't look anywhere close to being ready yet - but they do look good!

I am low on notes probably enough for 1 more feeding for 6 plants. Guess i'll stop when i run out if you think that's ok.
How often are you feeding your plants? If you only have enough for one more feeding, I would probably plan to get more nutes, because you have at least a few more weeks to go, in my opinion.

Do you even look at your Trichomes at all ?
I do still look at trichomes, but pay attention to cloudy vs clear only. I ignore the amber. If you don't have foxtails, but still see fresh stigmas (pistils), they probably are not ready yet.

I have the same digital microscope that Shed uses. It's pretty good, but it took me some practice learning how to get good quality pics. I also have a set of clip-on lenses for my Samsung phone - those work pretty well too.
I don't recall that post and it definitely wasn't BL.
That is correct - it wasn't me.

Hi LKV. :ciao: Your plants are looking really nice, and I'm glad they are bouncing back from that heat spell we had.

Aug 1st is pretty late in the season for outdoor plants to begin flowering cycle. I'm afraid your plants probably won't be ready until mid October. Also by looking at your pictures, they don't look anywhere close to being ready - but they do look good!

How often are you feeding your plants? If you only have enough for one more feeding, I would probably plan to get more nutes, because you have at least a few more week to go, in my opinion.

I do still look at trichomes, but pay attention to cloudy vs clear only. I ignore the amber. If you don't have foxtails, but still see fresh stigmas (pistils), they probably are not ready yet.

I have the same digital microscope that Shed uses. It's pretty good, but it took me some practice learning how to get good quality pics. I also have a set of clip-on lenses for my Samsung phone - those work pretty well too.

That is correct - it wasn't me.
Thank you Beez~!~~~ ❤️❤️❤️ I appreciate the advice! Wow so Aug 1st is late ? Hmmmm..
What are "foxtails" on cannibis plants? I saw little flowers forming as early as july but on the stems but not on the very top ends of my pants as in mid July but I thought it wasn't until they formed on the tips top of stems that you begin the flowering count down?
The 1st pic below is took on July 12 where I could feel them getting very sticky and I think beginning to flower. the rest of the pics were taken yesterday. Have been watering every 2 days but 4 of my 6 plants have really slowed down drinking.

I feed them about every 3rd watering now. Flora nova Bloom. I still have some Flora nova Grow, but out of bloom as of yesterday.
So you think 4 more weeks to go ya think? I'm thinking 2 or 3 if they begin looking more degraded and stop drinkin & stinkin 😂🤣 I will watch and see. Not in a hurry to harvest but i like to get prepared in advance.

I have heard about growers using all organic soil without watering and feeding nutes. they say they never get things like deficiencies or nut burn. Have you heard of this?
Thanks again Beez, Your grows are amazing!

tempImageM24kcT.png

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

Wow so Aug 1st is late ?
Well, it's kinda late for my location. My plants usually start their flowering cycle 2nd or 3rd week of July. This year my plants were also late in flowering (about 8/8), but they also had issues with "reveg".

Here in the Bay Area, there are many micro climates, so each location will probably vary.
What are "foxtails" on cannibis plants?
It's kinda hard for me to explain. New bracts/pistils form on top of existing ones. They kinda look like double or triple scoop ice cream cones. This usually happens toward the end of a flowering cycle. Your plants seem too young to be developing them yet, and mostly they occur on indoor plants and some sort of stress usually triggering it. Here's a couple pics of some foxtailing - not a clear example, but closest I could dig up of my own plants.

I saw little flowers forming as early as july but on the stems but not on the very top ends of my pants as in mid July but I thought it wasn't until they formed on the tips top of stems that you begin the flowering count down?
Determining the beginning of the flower cycle is quite subjective - especially for outdoor plants because it's more gradual and not triggered by setting lights to 12/12. Looking at your first picture, it seems like your interpretation is pretty good. :thumb:

From the distant views of your 2nd and 3rd pictures, it seems to me that they do indeed have a ways to go yet. A closer picture of the buds from a side view would be great.

will do Shed how often should i feed, with every other watering at this stage? !!!! Thanks!
Personally, I feed with every watering - every 2-3 days. I use liquid nutrients.

@BeezLuiz Ok so you think i've been in flower since that pic i showed u July 12? Below pics are side views below from 4 different plants. So I think you are close to me i'm in Marin county. if so well Dang i'd love to visit with you sometime if you are local to learn about your grow. Next year I'd like to take a more detailed approach to growing and know when to start seeds etc! I realize people dont want to meet in person when it comes to weed though even if it's egal here. Any hoo...here ya go! When I upload they rotate sideways dont know how to fix that!

tempImageNe0gNZ.png

tempImagemXpIsy.png

tempImageGD6SXm.png

tempImageb3AiQ3.png

Well, it's kinda late for my location. My plants usually start their flowering cycle 2nd or 3rd week of July. This year my plants were also late in flowering (about 8/8), but they also had issues with "reveg".

Here in the Bay Area, there are many micro climates, so each location will probably vary.

It's kinda hard for me to explain. New bracts/pistils form on top of existing ones. They kinda look like double or triple scoop ice cream cones. This usually happens toward the end of a flowering cycle. Your plants seem too young to be developing them yet, and mostly they occur on indoor plants and some sort of stress usually triggering it. Here's a couple pics of some foxtailing - not a clear example, but closest I could dig up of my own plants.

Determining the beginning of the flower cycle is quite subjective - especially for outdoor plants because it's more gradual and not triggered by setting lights to 12/12. Looking at your first picture, it seems like your interpretation is pretty good. :thumb:

From the distant views of your 2nd and 3rd pictures, it seems to me that they do indeed have a ways to go yet. A closer picture of the buds from a side view would be great.
AMAZING PICS of your plants!

Looking great LKV!

My two cents:
They have at least 3 weeks to go before harvest.
Are you spraying Safer or bt? I would. Twice per week not same day - 2 days apart. Hose wash off the Safer an hour later.

My outdoor grow has been a challenge and I’m close to harvest. Nervous time.

Your plants look fantastic!

Looking great LKV!

My two cents:
They have at least 3 weeks to go before harvest.
Are you spraying Safer or bt? I would. Twice per week not same day - 2 days apart. Hose wash off the Safer an hour later.

My outdoor grow has been a challenge and I’m close to harvest. Nervous time.

Your plants look fantastic!
Wow thank you ☺️!!! We have heavy dew in the morning right now up here in Northern California so when I can’t I stick them on under an umbrella at night then I definitely spray with BT about every four days or so! It’s very interesting because every time I walk through my plants each day I see a little white spot somewhere and I always pick it off because I am freaked out that it might be some kind of an insect 🥚 egg!!! I don’t use safer but do I have to hose off BT? I’ve never heard that before?
Yes it’s always a challenge the closer to harvest that you got isn’t it? I’m learning a lot here!

Wow thank you ☺️!!! We have heavy dew in the morning right now up here in Northern California so when I can’t I stick them on under an umbrella at night then I definitely spray with BT about every four days or so! It’s very interesting because every time I walk through my plants each day I see a little white spot somewhere and I always pick it off because I am freaked out that it might be some kind of an insect 🥚 egg!!! I don’t use safer but do I have to hose off BT? I’ve never heard that before?
Yes it’s always a challenge the closer to harvest that you got isn’t it? I’m learning a lot here!
Fun hobby huh!

I don’t think you need to wash off bt, but definitely the insect soap. The soap will kill aphids, mites, and thrips. I hose it off after 40 mins or so.
As your buds chunk up watch for bud rot - especially if you have morning dew or high humidity. I found a bit yesterday and darn near broke my heart!

Ok so you think i've been in flower since that pic i showed u July 12?
you said" Looking at your first picture, it seems like your interpretation is pretty good". Can you please clarify what you meant if you think for the first photo took 7/12 if that was the beginning of my flowering cycle? Or were you referring to the pic I took early August?
Sorry, what I meant was that based on your pic from 7/12, your interpretation of flowering cycle starting on 8/1 was pretty good since it still looked to be in "pre-flower" for that 7/12 pic.

So I think you are close to me i'm in Marin county.
Yes, fairly close. I'm about an hour south of you - San Jose. It's supposed to rain on Sunday/Monday. You'll certainly see more rain than I will.

Thanks for those new pics. I would think your buds will continue to swell and fatten up over the next 3 - 5 weeks. We'll continue to keep an eye on them as they mature.

Regarding bugs, for some reason the only bug issue I've had on my outdoor plants is caterpillars. The only time I've had to spray Safers insect soap was for an indoor grow which somehow got infested with aphids. Aphids and mites don't seem to bother my outdoor plants. I do see evidence of thrip damage on my leaves every season, but they must be so small that I can't find them, and they never really seem to affect the plants.

Definitely don't! It only kills caterpillars if they nosh on the sprayed leaves .
Thought so! Is safer different?
Sorry, what I meant was that based on your pic from 7/12, your interpretation of flowering cycle starting on 8/1 was pretty good since it still looked to be in "pre-flower" for that 7/12 pic.

Yes, fairly close. I'm about an hour south of you - San Jose. It's supposed to rain on Sunday/Monday. You'll certainly see more rain than I will.

Thanks for those new pics. I would think your buds will continue to swell and fatten up over the next 3 - 5 weeks. We'll continue to keep an eye on them as they mature.

Regarding bugs, for some reason the only bug issue I've had on my outdoor plants is caterpillars. The only time I've had to spray Safers insect soap was for an indoor grow which somehow got infested with aphids. Aphids and mites don't seem to bother my outdoor plants. I do see evidence of thrip damage on my leaves every season, but they must be so small that I can't find them, and never really seem to affect the plants.
Thank you so much for all that wow! we’ll I’ll just watch them every week and see what happens! San Jose is a much different ballgame than it is up here because we get lotta fog and I’m on the coast gives us some very wet mornings starting in September from heavy dew we also get a shit ton of wind last year a couple of my plants broke in half from it we get 30 to 40 mile an hour winds at least once a week up here!

Fun hobby huh!

I don’t think you need to wash off bt, but definitely the insect soap. The soap will kill aphids, mites, and thrips. I hose it off after 40 mins or so.
As your buds chunk up watch for bud rot - especially if you have morning dew or high humidity. I found a bit yesterday and darn near broke my heart!

Back
Top Bottom