Low Trichome Production

Savvage61

Whats up everyone ? hope you are all having a Stoned happy Day.
I want to get a genal consensus. I am not a big fan of AUTOS they are easy to grow I get Huge beautiful buds and in a few cases I got amazing yields of over 3 OZs in some cases but 2 things are missing

1. very little if any smell : unlike when I grow photos and get close to harvest and my house starts smelling like a skunk farm 🦨
2. low Trichome count : on my photos I always have a decent frosting it varies depending on the strain but when it comes to Autos the only trichomes are on the bud NO sugar leafs

after a good cure it wil;l definitely get you high but it reminds me of the old Mexican and Columbian Block pot it is alway just Blah

I realize there are a lot of factors in play. strain, light Nutes, ect. I can grow photos that smell like a dream and plenty of trichomes. Nothing special almost all of you do the same, and grow decent to top shelf weed.
am I the only one that has this issue with Autos ?

I've grown autos the last 4-5 grows and only once did I have low scent and low trich production. That grow was marred by a series of bad things, starting with my caretaker brutally overwatering and stunting the seedlings, followed by extreme heat in the tent, light burn issues (learning a new LED), nute lockouts, minor thrip issues, and nanners everywhere, with the capper of light leaks and light timer problems. Yield was still, good, 3-5 oz/plant, but almost no smell and lower than normal trich production, ended up making bubble hash out of most of it and only got about a 10% yield.

I know that not to many yrs ago Autos had a terrible Rep But everything I read brags about the huge advancement of auto Genetics. I have yet to finish and cure an Auto that is as good as my photos. I just finished up a Skittles auto
20230103_122243.jpg
it was a nice looking plant I dried it at 60*F/60 RH/8 days burpped it for a few week till I got to till I was right at 58%- 62% - what should be a perfect dry/cure (for the way I do it)very bland generic taste and smell Like I said it was like a bag of commercial weed right out of the 1970's, Yeah we smoked back then as we cruised around on our dinosaurs. But we could also get exotic weed Thai, Hawaiian, Gold bud, Panama red for like $200 a OZ (that was like paying $500 a OZ today Im sry rambling down memory lane

So is it safe to say Autos still cannot meet the quality of a good Photo ?
what are some other thoughts?

I would say that current autos have just about the same potential for THC and terpenes as photo's, as long as you stay with quality breeders. It took several many years for the breeders to stabilize the auto gene and add the desired traits from photo's that resulted in good THC numbers. The early ones were prety junky.

autos are superbly meh.

you can really do well with them once you concentrate on growing them alone. you'll never reach what you can do if you put the effort into photos though.

no one in the med community here takes them serious. commercially they're useless, and a stupid thing to contemplate from an economic stand.

i've grown them, but they're really just an afterthought. autos are only good for some home growers, which is ok.

to create autos you take good photos and make them worse through breeding.

I disagree ive grown photos for 15 years i no that's nothing to some people on here but the last auto i grew was the frostiest plant ive grown i only got 2 and a half oz as i was overfeeding at not even half feed 5ml to 3ltr it was caked ive saved my trim for the first time as the thc is unreal i put it in my freezer im growing another now i got slight nute burn at 17 days on 1/4 feed so backed off and the other auto is the best tasting plant ive grown it's one of the best smokes ive ever had i got just under 6oz off her here is a photo of it gorilla cookies i can't get a photo of strawberry banana as i have it curing somewhere i can get a pic tomorrow my gorilla cookies was over 7ft here is a pic of strawberry banana bud on plant the leaves are covered i also grow with a hps that produces less thc than a led the 2 photos are different weeks and a big bud of my king tut photoperiod before this grow i think it had less thc but the buds a lot fatter than my autos that was before curing and trimming fan leaves and took a little early its just harder to grow autos as there's no grow guide
King Tut.jpg
gorilla cookies 2.jpg
gorilla cookies.jpg
SB Auto.jpg
WP_20230323_11_16_54_Pro - Copy (2).jpg

no one in the med community here takes them serious. commercially they're useless, and a stupid thing to contemplate from an economic stand.
I have never grown an auto, except by mistake. With photos you can control flowering, and you can make clones.

Perhaps the one situation where an auto is commercially interesting is the case of autoflowering CBD hemp. It's to the advantage of hemp farmers in some locations to grow autoflowers, because it makes it easier to manage a crop in the field that will need to be destroyed if it goes over 0.3% THC. Well, I guess maybe autos would also come in handy for outdoor, field-grown THC crops, in equatorial regions – i.e. in cases where photos would flower too soon.

Back
Top Bottom