Magic Beans Vanilla Kush and Pineapple Chunk Flood Table

~~~UPDATE~~~

Well its the 13th day since transplant and these ladies are ready to go through puberty... then menopause :rofl: I think Ill switch to 12/12 tomorrow. Ive changed the lights to the 200w DS and the 250w HPS for now. I might add more later if possible. Im going to be LSTing like crazy to keep those P chunk level with the Vanilla Kush and to spread out the canopy. Everything is going smooth.
day_13_veg_0011.jpg

Pineapple chunk
day_13_veg_0032.jpg

Vanilla Kush
day_13_veg_0042.jpg

@Siscokid: yea roots dont like the light, but last flood table grow I didn't see any ill effects from having roots out in the open. They get air pruned from the net pots as well.

Hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving, and remembered to give thanks for everything you're grateful for!

man that set up has GOT to be great for the roots getting oxygen so vividly like that! but it does kinda seem like roots wouldnt like light very well. in fact i know this isnt the case with marijuana, but on some plants (like one of my citris trees actually) if a root is exposed to the light for a long time and it grows, genetics of the plant turns that root into a branch. with weed i would think that root would just stop growing or cause a problem with the plant. idk if this was discussed in this thread yet i dont feel like looking lol but theres my input haha :peace:

man that set up has GOT to be great for the roots getting oxygen so vividly like that! but it does kinda seem like roots wouldnt like light very well. in fact i know this isnt the case with marijuana, but on some plants (like one of my citris trees actually) if a root is exposed to the light for a long time and it grows, genetics of the plant turns that root into a branch. with weed i would think that root would just stop growing or cause a problem with the plant. idk if this was discussed in this thread yet i dont feel like looking lol but theres my input haha :peace:

Now thats an interesting piece of info!

Now thats an interesting piece of info!

I seem to remember Cervantes' grow bible talking about roots getting light turning "green", but he didn't elaborate...

Green, how? Green like a branch green? (Must be said in your best Joe Pesci impersonation from Goodfellas).

Very interesting!

:Namaste:

I've been wondering about this. I have a few plants growing in a flood table right now, and I noticed over the weekend, that all of the roots are now coming out the holes in the pots, and growing along the bottom of the table.

I hope it really is ok. I was worried about it, but if you didn't have a problem before then I guess it will be fine. Keeping my eye on this thread.. and my exposed roots..lol

I seem to remember Cervantes' grow bible talking about roots getting light turning "green", but he didn't elaborate...

Green, how? Green like a branch green? (Must be said in your best Joe Pesci impersonation from Goodfellas).

Very interesting!

:Namaste:

On my clones I had a couple roots come out above the cube just a hair and they turned green like a branch. So ya makes sense.

mine went down into the cube. They were just green above. We're talking less than 1/4 inch above cube where they came out. And I'm sure that was because I had scraped the outer skins and a small part of that was exposed.

This newbie's interest has been piqued by the exposed root situation. Is the consensus that exposed roots are not a concern? If exposure is a problem, can't you just fill entire tray with hydroton to cover roots? MB -Is this a consideration and I am interested in how this issue plays out for you.

MB- I just purchased a setup with same basics as yours. I have never grown, but my inexperienced mind envisions web of entangled roots being pulled toward drain. Is this the case with flood flood table? Will you be able to manipulate the individual plants when they have more root development or do you move entire table?

Im on the bus.

EQ, that was very confusing for my high ass, i must say!
lol

This newbie's interest has been piqued by the exposed root situation. Is the consensus that exposed roots are not a concern? If exposure is a problem, can't you just fill entire tray with hydroton to cover roots? MB -Is this a consideration and I am interested in how this issue plays out for you.

MB- I just purchased a setup with same basics as yours. I have never grown, but my inexperienced mind envisions web of entangled roots being pulled toward drain. Is this the case with flood flood table? Will you be able to manipulate the individual plants when they have more root development or do you move entire table?

Im on the bus.

Hey EQ thanks for stopping by!
I have concluded that the unprotecyed roots that grow out of the mesh pots are not a problem. I would just consider how big you plan on growing your plants, and determine flood depth and pot size from that. I would definitely vote AGAINST filling the flood tray with hydroton. It will make rhe plants immobile and it will SUCK to clean and the end of the grow. Although you may try it if those factors arent important to you. It may help root production.

In an active hydro system, root mass does not need to be as profound as in soil, because the roots are constantly delivered nute solution at the right levels and dont need to search for them. Once the roots start growing down into the tray, some die and some live, but the roots in the pot will be healthy and keep your plants the same!

This is my second grow using this method and if youd like to check out how the first one went just check my signature. Its the lemon skunk LED vs. HPS flood table.

Oh Boy!! I made it:cheer: This is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see those reztickulous buds that you are known for. Thanks in advance for this informative journal. Pineapple Chunk is becoming my favorite strain not to have grown or smoked :) they sound so tasty. Can't wait.:popcorn:

Hey MB. I know you're a busy, BUSY dude.. but I'm looking forward to your next pic update. I cant wait to see new pics of your Pineapple Chunk.

(I finally got my flood table journal started and it has a couple of PineChunks in it. But your girls are looking so good I'm afraid to post pics of mine, and will just steal your pics instead..lol) :thanks::cheesygrinsmiley:

~~~UPDATE~~~

Hello all!

I switched to 12/12 8 days ago and the ladies are off on the stretch now! The Vanilla kush had shown sex about a week and a half ago, assuring me that she was a she. I took a long good look, hoping to see the signs of the transition start to end and I am seeing double and quadruple pistils on either side of newly developing budsites. I have found the simplest way of training for me in my opinion. I love the LST, but I'm really into this bending thing, and I think the girls are too :) they just keep growing out from all the bending, yet are still mobile. Im liking it. here are the pics:
day_8_flower_0011.jpg
day_8_flower_0021.jpg

Pineapple Chunk:
day_8_flower_0041.jpg
day_8_flower_0031.jpg

Vanilla Kush:
day_8_flower_0051.jpg
day_8_flower_0061.jpg

Will have some close ups next time!

Back
Top Bottom