Magnus Growing Chemdawg Using Remo Nutes

I have a very small circle myself.
Mine is quite small. Many dont have any way of understanding my disability or how to deal with it. Or should I say them. And now this fibromyalgia... what a burden.

But I kind of like it that way. I know for sure that my small circle of friends are REAL friends. No equivocating there.

Does anyone know how to test the strength of your home grown weed? They tell you it can grow up to 20% thc... but is it that strong?

I am wondering because by end of summer I want to be producing CBD and thc oils for ingestion and I'd like to know how much of which strength of oil I need for pain relief from my fibromyalgia and my back.

Is there a home testing kit by any possible chance? Or do you always have to send it to a lab. If always a lab, does anyone know which Canadian labs there are? I'm assuming there are not yet many labs doing this service for the public but I could be wrong...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

All my best,
~Magnus

Does anyone know how to test the strength of your home grown weed? They tell you it can grow up to 20% thc... but is it that strong?

I am wondering because by end of summer I want to be producing CBD and thc oils for ingestion and I'd like to know how much of which strength of oil I need for pain relief from my fibromyalgia and my back.

Is there a home testing kit by any possible chance? Or do you always have to send it to a lab. If always a lab, does anyone know which Canadian labs there are? I'm assuming there are not yet many labs doing this service for the public but I could be wrong...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

All my best,
~Magnus
Forget it. Found the answer to my own question. Yes there are home test kits. And they are very expensive...

Shouldn’t be hard to find a lab in Canada.
I know there are many labs but I'm wondering how I search for them. Problem is that I know nothing about what kinds of labs do what or even what differences they might reflect.

I guess I could just search for Marijuana Testing Labs... that ought to do it. I didnt really think that there might be labs specializing in this but I suppose it must be so.

Yah testing is expensive, either at home or in a lab. One day I will get an oil tested but I’ve got growing equipment to buy first!

Mostly we (DIY oil makers around here) estimate based on numerous factors. We were all very pleased when Shed tested an oil and it came out almost exactly the strength (mg/ml) that his estimated calculations said it should be. We think the guesstimations are close enough for rock and roll!!

I am easily able to make a 1:1 CBD:THC and I am pretty confident it’s very close to that ratio.

Yah testing is expensive, either at home or in a lab. One day I will get an oil tested but I’ve got growing equipment to buy first!

Mostly we (DIY oil makers around here) estimate based on numerous factors. We were all very pleased when Shed tested an oil and it came out almost exactly the strength (mg/ml) that his estimated calculations said it should be. We think the guesstimations are close enough for rock and roll!!

I am easily able to make a 1:1 CBD:THC and I am pretty confident it’s very close to that ratio.
I use a place in California and just mail the stuff to them. There must be places in Canada where it's legal country-wide.
Should be a bunch of them in Canada.
Thanks Hashgirl and everyone else who weighed in. My issue was that I didnt know what search terms would bring up a list like the one HG found. I didnt really explain that properly. I thought there were just labs and you had to figure out which ones tested cannabis on your own. But from what I can surmise there are now labs devoted to testing cannabis as a primary function of the lab.

But thanks to all who chimed in.

Amy - is it too much to as to how I could learn to make estimations? I dont even know how to do that and I really must learn if I am to dose myself correctly with my own weed.

Peace out!
~Magnus

just dropped in as this landed :) I’ll give it a go!

Say you have a strain that is sold as 15-22%. I consider the growing conditions a bit and make an estimation of the potency based on how ‘completely’ the plant was able to express itself. Pls don‘t ask me to elaborate on that :laughtwo: it’s just something I do and I havent been grwing more than 5 years so bear that in mind! I’m no long-time grower - i was just around it a bit when young and am now obsessed, with lots of time on my hands for a few years now. Anyhoo - that’s just a feel thing I do, estimating the strength. If the plant had everything it always needed and sailed and charged all the way throught to perfect expression I’d happily do my estimates at 22%. But that’s not always the case so then I just make an estimate on the %.

I don’t tend to rely on what it’s like to consume for an idea of strength becasue terpenes can influence that a lot sometimes.

Anyway, once you’ve estimated the strength of the produce, it’s a matter of dry weight and a calculation - that I have only recently been able to see the simplicity of :D. Let’s see if I can lay it out, while stoned, without looking anything up (Sunday morning here and friend brought me my first taste of grandaddy purple :eek: :thedoubletake:). I know my friend @InTheShed will correct any mistakes and clarify nuances if needed (he’s been doing it for me for years! :thanks: ).

Example:
Estimated strength of bud 20% CBD
200mg CBD per gram (I hope that part is right!)

5grams of bud into 5oz of oil (150ml) with a production efficiency of 85% (another estimation depending on method of decarb’ and extraction) yields an oil approximately 5.6 mg/ml in strength.

The calculation could look like this:
(((200 x 5) x .85) / 150) = 5.6666∞ ... :nerd-with-glasses: hope I got that right! And if I didn’t, I’ll learn something :)

I got 5.41 from the spreadsheet but that's close enough for government work. Well done Amy!

I would like to mention two things. First is that weight for the calculation should be after decarb. The other is that multiVortex posted a good link for an online calculator that works similarly to Oldbear's spreadsheet (without the ability to do plants with both CBD and THC, or blends of various plants), but it will do edible calculations for you.

I can't link it directly but it's on the volcanotips website and it's their potency-calculator-edibles. You can always use the THC field for CBD if that's what type of plant you have.

:thumb: Thanks! (and thanks for doing the calculations for me for years!)

And thanks for the link, that will be a good resource.

They should just change the “THC” field label to “Cannabinoid”. People are starting to aim for high CBG and CBC and even CBN in different edibles and things. But yes, of course, we can just use it for whatever cannabinoid we’re calculating, like you say.

And @Magnus8 - you can always do what I have done for three years when I couldnt work it out myself...

...which is to just find @InTheShed on the formus here, tell him the following:
the percentage strength of the bud you have;
how much infused oil you’d like to have at thre end, and;
how strong you’d like it to be. and;

... he (or someone els familiar with the equations) will happily tell you how much bud you need to use to get roughly what you need. It’s worked for me all these years! It’s even possible I’d be able to advise on that now, but I’m still green in the calculations department. There are a few around who could do that for you tho and would be happy to do so, and Shed is often available.

:Namaste:

And @Magnus8 - you can always do what I have done for three years when I couldnt work it out myself...

... he (or someone els familiar with the equations) will happily tell you how much bud you need to use to get roughly what you need. It’s worked for me all these years! It’s even possible I’d be able to advise on that now, but I’m still green in the calculations department. There are a few around who could do that for you tho and would be happy to do so, and Shed is often available.

I use @InTheShed for math questions, too. It's sure a lot easier than having to figure it out myself since I'm mathematically challenged. :laughtwo:

InTheShed ROCKS! :love:

just dropped in as this landed :) I’ll give it a go!

Say you have a strain that is sold as 15-22%. I consider the growing conditions a bit and make an estimation of the potency based on how ‘completely’ the plant was able to express itself. Pls don‘t ask me to elaborate on that :laughtwo: it’s just something I do and I havent been grwing more than 5 years so bear that in mind! I’m no long-time grower - i was just around it a bit when young and am now obsessed, with lots of time on my hands for a few years now. Anyhoo - that’s just a feel thing I do, estimating the strength. If the plant had everything it always needed and sailed and charged all the way throught to perfect expression I’d happily do my estimates at 22%. But that’s not always the case so then I just make an estimate on the %.

I don’t tend to rely on what it’s like to consume for an idea of strength becasue terpenes can influence that a lot sometimes.

Anyway, once you’ve estimated the strength of the produce, it’s a matter of dry weight and a calculation - that I have only recently been able to see the simplicity of :D. Let’s see if I can lay it out, while stoned, without looking anything up (Sunday morning here and friend brought me my first taste of grandaddy purple :eek: :thedoubletake:). I know my friend @InTheShed will correct any mistakes and clarify nuances if needed (he’s been doing it for me for years! :thanks: ).

Example:
Estimated strength of bud 20% CBD
200mg CBD per gram (I hope that part is right!)

5grams of bud into 5oz of oil (150ml) with a production efficiency of 85% (another estimation depending on method of decarb’ and extraction) yields an oil approximately 5.6 mg/ml in strength.

The calculation could look like this:
(((200 x 5) x .85) / 150) = 5.6666∞ ... :nerd-with-glasses: hope I got that right! And if I didn’t, I’ll learn something :)
I got 5.41 from the spreadsheet but that's close enough for government work. Well done Amy!

I would like to mention two things. First is that weight for the calculation should be after decarb. The other is that multiVortex posted a good link for an online calculator that works similarly to Oldbear's spreadsheet (without the ability to do plants with both CBD and THC, or blends of various plants), but it will do edible calculations for you.

I can't link it directly but it's on the volcanotips website and it's their potency-calculator-edibles. You can always use the THC field for CBD if that's what type of plant you have.
Thank you both for helping me.

One very last question (not wanting to be TOO annoying...):

How much is too much weed? I have once read that 1 cup of oils are only able to sustain XXX grams of infused weed being uptaken by the oil. In other words there is supposed to be a recommended weight of weed to use before we get to the point where no more cannabinoids

I use @InTheShed for math questions, too. It's sure a lot easier than having to figure it out myself since I'm mathematically challenged. :laughtwo:

InTheShed ROCKS! :love:
Thanks to both of you. I didnt want to be a pain in.the ass to anyone here by asking too many favours of everyone. You e all been so helpful to me already. But if it's okay with intheshed that I ask his help when the time comes then I will.

But I would like to learn how to do it myself if I can - one day.

All my best,
~Msgnus

Back
Top Bottom