Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

I would like to toss one out to the crowd and see what you all think. This is for a personal small grow, in a 4'x2'x'7' space. My biggest issue that I am trying to solve now with the HPS is heat so it is time for the LEDs. I like the idea of several small lights as opposed to 1 large, I like the idea of saving $ during veg by using the switches on the reflectors, and would also like to run my fans less if possible (cooling fans).

To that end I was thinking of 3 of the 48x3w reflector series. This would give me close to 450w to replace my 400HPS and a great deal of flexibility. I feel it would cover the shape of the space better than one square 400. Chained together this seems like a good way to go.

This will be used in a scrog is my current plan. And I am currently very happy with the quality and quantity that I can pull from a 400 HPS.

Let me have it folks. Have I been smoking this pipe too long?

I would like to toss one out to the crowd and see what you all think. This is for a personal small grow, in a 4'x2'x'7' space. My biggest issue that I am trying to solve now with the HPS is heat so it is time for the LEDs. I like the idea of several small lights as opposed to 1 large, I like the idea of saving $ during veg by using the switches on the reflectors, and would also like to run my fans less if possible (cooling fans).

To that end I was thinking of 3 of the 48x3w reflector series. This would give me close to 450w to replace my 400HPS and a great deal of flexibility. I feel it would cover the shape of the space better than one square 400. Chained together this seems like a good way to go.

This will be used in a scrog is my current plan. And I am currently very happy with the quality and quantity that I can pull from a 400 HPS.

Let me have it folks. Have I been smoking this pipe too long?

Dr. Bob,

I agree with you, mainly cause I asked Icemud! Ha

I'm using 5 of the 400w mars 2 panels in my 5x5x6.5ft tent.

I think the 3 reflector series would be great In your tent.

The cooling fans will run during veg and flower. The veg switch h activates the fans it is recommended to have them running during flower as well to not overheat the panel.... at least as far as I have read

Anyone ever figure out or know what the lumen output is on the panels?

Well it's just a converted fridge/freezer. I was thinking of eventually getting a budmaster 2 led for flowering...
The inside dimensions of the fridge is 1.8' wide by 1.8' deep by 3' high.. For the price I was thinking of getting one of these after reading through these posts.

Forced to grow small at the moment.I have had bad luck with Chinese lights but, these seem legit though..

Ozzy,

I'm growing DWC with 5 of the 400w panels. Just getting started but by others production I am more than confident what these panels can do. Even growing scrog 3 foot is gonna be a tight area. Best of luck

Dr. Bob,

I agree with you, mainly cause I asked Icemud! Ha

I'm using 5 of the 400w mars 2 panels in my 5x5x6.5ft tent.

I think the 3 reflector series would be great In your tent.

The cooling fans will run during veg and flower. The veg switch h activates the fans it is recommended to have them running during flower as well to not overheat the panel.... at least as far as I have read

Thanks! I am hoping that I may be able to get Sara to swing me a discount for the 3 as it will be much more than just the 1 large panel.

Ok test is in on 144x3 the numbers are what was the Max showed on meter. +or_.05
Veg aka bloom only Lums. 6" 32,671 1' 19.546 2' 9.323
Flower mode Lums. 6" 42'411 1' 29.732 2'12.553

Ok test is in on 144x3 the numbers are what was the Max showed on meter. +or_.05

Wow, great job taking readings and showing the numbers, when comparing it to a lumen chart for a 400w HPS the readings are fairly close to what a 400w HPS puts out...

Here are the readings according to the chart I have for HPS...

6" 63,662 lum
12" 15,915 lum
24" 3,979 lum

So even though the HPS has higher lumen value closer to the light, it seems that the top Led actually carries the intensity of the light further with distance. Also, lumens being a measurement of light for humans, and not for plants, with the numbers this close and LED having better PAR value than HPS, I think it it safe to say the light puts out a better output than a 400w HPS.

I know when I look at my 144x3w model, I definitely think it looks brighter than a 400w HPS slightly! These lights rock!

Great work on taking the readings and posting the results!

Hi everyone noob here in need of a lil help. Ive decided to go with the top led product line but not sure exactly which light to choose from to get some good results the area I'm working with is 3x1 height isn't too much of a factor suggestions greatly appreciated

Wow, great job taking readings and showing the numbers, when comparing it to a lumen chart for a 400w HPS the readings are fairly close to what a 400w HPS puts out...

Here are the readings according to the chart I have for HPS...

6" 63,662 lum
12" 15,915 lum
24" 3,979 lum

So even though the HPS has higher lumen value closer to the light, it seems that the top Led actually carries the intensity of the light further with distance. Also, lumens being a measurement of light for humans, and not for plants, with the numbers this close and LED having better PAR value than HPS, I think it it safe to say the light puts out a better output than a 400w HPS.

I know when I look at my 144x3w model, I definitely think it looks brighter than a 400w HPS slightly! These lights rock!

Great work on taking the readings and posting the results!

Hi Icemud.

PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation). PAR spectrum accounts only for light or more precisely photons emitted between 400-700nm. Scientists have concluded that it requires about 9 photons to bind one CO2 molecule in photosynthesis [6CO2 + 6H2O (+ light energy) C6H12O6 + 6O2]. It has also been found that there is little difference between the effectiveness of red & blue photons as long as they are within the 400-700nm range. This leads to a direct correlation between the number of photons produced in the PAR spectrum and the photosynthetic potential of a light source.

When trying to quantify how effective a light source is beyond the total output of μmol/per second, you must consider one last piece of information... the area of your garden. Inevitably some of the photons produced will not reach your garden. So the most accurate representation of a light source's ability to drive photosynthesis will take into account the area being lit and how many photons reach a given area per second; usually as square meters. That representation which actually summates the effectiveness of a light source for photosynthesis is written as μmol/m2/s. This descriptor is actually referred to as Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density or PPFD for short.

Lumens are essentially a measure of brightness based on human perception.

Hope this helps...

Does this have any connection as to how far away from the plants the light should be? Don't the plants need the most amount of lumens?

Good news to me , I would like to post all information I can get. happy growing.:)
Thank you for clearing this up Sara! An explanation to why my drives are different to the ones that did melt was all i was after, and you got this for me so I thank you! And i apologize for making you go to the trouble of getting this information from your supplier! The temperature of my lights in nowhere near 80c!

I hope you will let me buy lights from you in the future because frankly my plants absolutely love them!!

IMG_47572.JPG

feel free to email me :) I were out today, just come back, and read.:)
Thanks! I am hoping that I may be able to get Sara to swing me a discount for the 3 as it will be much more than just the 1 large panel.

48x3w, two pieces is ok. your is 1x3feet?
Hi everyone noob here in need of a lil help. Ive decided to go with the top led product line but not sure exactly which light to choose from to get some good results the area I'm working with is 3x1 height isn't too much of a factor suggestions greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom