Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

When your in the garden, don’t forget your marshydro protective eye wear

Hey, those look a whole lot nicer than the... thing I made out of a Mountain Dew bottle. I wonder if we could all sweet-talk Sara and the rest of the folks at Mars-Hydro into dropping a pair of them into the box with the winner's prize? He/she would surely appreciate it.

what would be the best light for a 4x4 tent?

I just checked their website and they sell "kits" (tent plus LED panel), so I chose the 4'x4' size and looked at the choices. They show a Mars pro II 1600w Epistar 320 and a Mars Pro II 1200w Cree 256 option as the top two choices for that size tent kit, so you could probably consider those your two best choices if you wish to use only one LED panel to cover the tent. Neither product is particularly cheap, but they are both pretty powerful lights and, by their specifications, either should perform great for you. If you plan on growing autoflowering plants in your tent, you should have no problems supporting a "standing room only" (lol) grow.

The Cree model appears to be a little more efficient, a little more powerful, and a little less expensive to run than the Epistar model - but the Epistar model is, I believe, $153 cheaper.

Another option would be to purchase multiple "smaller" LED panels. This would have the benefit of allowing you to position them at different heights - which could be beneficial if you are growing more than one strain at a time and are either unable or unwilling to train all of your plants to be the same height. It might also allow you to reduce shadowed areas and to get some additional benefit from the "third-light effect." I don't know if going with multiple, less powerful LED panels would work out to be more or less expensive than purchasing one powerhouse.

All of the above is strictly my opinion. I'll "shut up" now and see what Sara recommends.

F*** it even if i dont win the comp what would be the best light for a 4x4 tent?
Mars pro 2 covers 4.5x4.5 but sara said whole back it safe for 4x4 with no burn or stresses

F*** it even if i dont win the comp what would be the best light for a 4x4 tent?
I just checked their website and they sell "kits" (tent plus LED panel), so I chose the 4'x4' size and looked at the choices. They show a Mars pro II 1600w Epistar 320 and a Mars Pro II 1200w Cree 256 option as the top two choices for that size tent kit, so you could probably consider those your two best choices if you wish to use only one LED panel to cover the tent. Neither product is particularly cheap, but they are both pretty powerful lights and, by their specifications, either should perform great for you. If you plan on growing autoflowering plants in your tent, you should have no problems supporting a "standing room only" (lol) grow.

The Cree model appears to be a little more efficient, a little more powerful, and a little less expensive to run than the Epistar model - but the Epistar model is, I believe, $153 cheaper.

Another option would be to purchase multiple "smaller" LED panels. This would have the benefit of allowing you to position them at different heights - which could be beneficial if you are growing more than one strain at a time and are either unable or unwilling to train all of your plants to be the same height. It might also allow you to reduce shadowed areas and to get some additional benefit from the "third-light effect." I don't know if going with multiple, less powerful LED panels would work out to be more or less expensive than purchasing one powerhouse.

All of the above is strictly my opinion. I'll "shut up" now and see what Sara recommends.

@TorturedSoul's "opion" is 420% valid! There are some other options and this is a recommendation I gave to someone who had already purchased an "unsuitable" (136w) light and I had just informed it would not work for his 4'x4':

My recommendation, if you're on a real tight budget, would be to grab one of the Mars Reflector 960's. It's only about 375w, so a little short, but you'll get full coverage in a 4'x4' tent for flowering and the cost on those is only about $300. You could always add a second one later to get more watts in the tent.

If you had the money now, I'd go with the Mars II 1600. It's only $475 and is a 630w actual draw which would be perfect for your tent.

If you really wanted to blast some light in there, look at the Mars Pro II 1600 which costs about $600 but has 720w of actual draw and would not only give you coverage in your 4'x4', but if you ever wanted to upgrade to the 5'x5', you'd have plenty of coverage there, too.

I use (2) Reflector 144's in my 4'x4', which, as TS pointed out, let's me put the two lights at different heights, if needed for the plants, and gives some redundancy in case one light fails.

I need more lighting lol..
my 600w HPS is great but I want to add LEDs beside it for the beneficial full spectrum and the addictions resin production. I also have my second small tent now I would love to setup with an LED that I could be comfortable growing a full cycle under if needed per day if my big tent is full at the time!

Ohh the joys of growing and the expenses of lights !

@TorturedSoul's "opion" is 420% valid! There are some other options and this is a recommendation I gave to someone who had already purchased an "unsuitable" (136w) light and I had just informed it would not work for his 4'x4':

I use (2) Reflector 144's in my 4'x4', which, as TS pointed out, let's me put the two lights at different heights, if needed for the plants, and gives some redundancy in case one light fails.
Ok ok good info krip. Ive seen the reflector series going pretty cheap that would probably be my first option to dip my toe in the LED pond. If i enjoy them i will upgrade at some point. Especially if the summer is hot as it was this year. Im hopin for a marked temp drop compared to HID

Ok ok good info krip. Ive seen the reflector series going pretty cheap that would probably be my first option to dip my toe in the LED pond. If i enjoy them i will upgrade at some point. Especially if the summer is hot as it was this year. Im hopin for a marked temp drop compared to HID

I've repeatedly said how impressed I've been with the Reflectors considering their price point. I don't know if you caught these two posts I made last night (they got buried pretty quick! :D ):

On Day #34 of 12/12 - #MARSHYDROROCKS! :yummy:

full
Hella frosty there krip!

I do like your lights, but I have two identical lights giving off differnt colors? I don’t know if you can tell by the photo... Maybe a switch in LED manufacturers???
I checked and both veg and flower lights are on with both lights. I’m not really happy about it. If you notice a lot more red on the left and more blue to the right.

BF3D389D-D5F6-4CCB-BDD5-EFC2A481103E.jpeg
:confused:

Back
Top Bottom