MeatGrinder - Northern Lights Auto - DWC - LED - 1st Timer - 2016/2017

The 1-2-3 Recipe
These mixes work well and are the accepted standard mix recommended for newbies as well as those new to GH Flora series nutes. It is simple to remember: 3-2-1...2-2-2...1-2-3. Listed as (grow-micro-bloom) Always mix the micro into the water first.

**Teaspoons per US gallon (5ml = 1 part)

Vegetative stage: Use 3-2-1 (3 parts grow, 2 parts micro, 1 part bloom)
Early flowering: first 2-3 weeks or until stretching stops: Use 2-2-2 (2 parts each)
Late flowering: Use 1-2-3 (1 part grow, 2 parts micro, 3 parts bloom)

** Dilute final mixture (or adjust part size) to suit your plants nutrient strength (EC/TDS) requirements. GH Flora series is slightly lacking Mg, add 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon epsom salts per gallon of final mix. Dissolve the salts in some warm water before adding to your nutrient reservoir.

So if i used this recipe and diluted it down by 30% wouldnt my ppms be very high maybe too hight remember im just learning here guys lol. What stage of growth is my plant? She is 4 week and 3 days old from the day i dropped the seed into a cup of water to start the germ. The stalk if nice and thick now almost my thumb width but not very tall about as tall as a standard ink pen. I cut those leaves that were blocking the stems that are growing out from the middle stalk. When i start lst these stems growing out from the center are the ones i want to pull out and down i think. Since this plant is an auto does its age decide when it flowers or its size? I have 6 more beans of this strain so maybe ill have a better understanding of what im doing once i get through all them lol.

No offence meat, but you have so much to learn and tbh, your first grow journal is really not the best place to learn everything and you should not really expect everyone to do all the thinking for you. Do some study, watch some videos - youtube is full of weed videos, but most importantly, try and learn the basics about growing plants. You do realise that cutting your leaves off can retard growth? No? These are the basic things you really need to know.

I can only speak for myself, but I am happy to pass on my knowledge and help, but not to teach everything about how plants function and grow.

No offence meat, but you have so much to learn and tbh, your first grow journal is really not the best place to learn everything and you should not really expect everyone to do all the thinking for you. Do some study, watch some videos - youtube is full of weed videos, but most importantly, try and learn the basics about growing plants. You do realise that cutting your leaves off can retard growth? No? These are the basic things you really need to know.

I can only speak for myself, but I am happy to pass on my knowledge and help, but not to teach everything about how plants function and grow.

Yea i understand this is not a classroom but a place to share. Im not asking anyone to do anything for me. I am very appreciative of any advice anyone has to offer. I do want to learn more and i am learning more study different things from different places trying to understand all the ins and outs. I also know that my first time will not be my best time but it will be experiance i can use to push my education on the subject. I spend a few hours a day reading and listening and looking and learning. One day ill be better and i have to fail first to learn what i did wrong and why it was wrong so i understand why what is right is right. Anyways thanks for taking the time and giving me advise ill keep it and use it and expand on it.

It's all good meat and we all have to start somewhere. You'll make mistakes and you will learn and you are very fortunate to have found a place like 420. I tell ya, I wish it was around when I first started growing. But even us old farts are still learning. :thumb:

So from some of the stuff i have read im guessing i should be about to start flowering maybe a week to go maybe two. I dont think this girl will get real tall which is good in a way cause of my height limits. Shes bout 5 and a half inchs tall at 4 weeks and 3 days. I moved the light closer last night and she is standing pretty in the glow. I know plants reach for the light so maybe this is have a negative affect on the height. Or maybe i was too far away with my 300w to get enuff energy to grow. I feel sorry for this plant in a way cause i know i cant get her to her potential but sacrifices must be made to learn i guess. Im thinking better fert mixes and closer attention paid to the ph of the next girl will help. Might even grab a bigger light. Im optimistic tho i wont quit on her.

What height does your manufacturer recommend? Mine is 30 inches for early veg, 24 inches for late veg and 18 inches for flowering.
Even though you may not guess, you can still get light burn from LEDs. Although my unit is not hot to touch, now I have it in bloom I can feel the heat from the UV and IR under the lights when I'm working.

I found for my first grow that using less of the methods the more experienced guys do was the reason i had few problems. Other than LST i pretty much let my girl grow pretty natural with a little defoil(i mean little) just after flowering began. Just try stick to the basics and let the plant do its thing. Right after you pull your first crop i can assure you the next grow you will worry less and your confidence will be high. It is really not hard to grow if you keep it as simple as possible but i know where u are at just now all the thoughts of what you can do running through your head. So as i said, just keep it simple and natural as possible.

I use the GH trio also but i am in coco. I have been feeding 2ml gro/3ml micro and 7ml Bloom per gallon since the second week of veg. The Micro has alot of N in there so i feel the Gro is a little less important and you probably could get away with not using it but as it is part of the trio i like to try get a couple of ml in. I settled on my feed after looking at the lucas formula(H3ads coco version) as that cuts the Gro out of it and goes with Micro and Bloom only throughout. Which was 6ml Micro and 9ml Bloom so i dropped 2ml of Bloom to add in 2ml of Gro and my plant has been growing lovely but this is for Coco. I also dont use cal/mag as i use tap water and it seems to have enough from that.

What is Lucas Formula, and how do I use it? The hydro instrcutions for this type of feeding are there if you would like to check it out. The instructions for hydro are 8ml Micro and 16ml Bloom for entire Grow.

Hope it helps and keep growing away buddy its easyier than you think.

IMG_070147.JPG
IMG_070051.JPG

I got 4 northern lights on the go. First time I grow too. Top drip dwc hydro. Started seed on 25 Oct. They looking good now but I fucked up earlier by letting the temp of my water get high and got root rot(pythium). So be sure to keep that water temp 65 to 72 ish. Looks good ! I'm going to follow you on this one.

Cheers my fellow growers!
Phil

There she is today starting to get some smell off her when i open my tent up with is exciting. Thanks for the comments blondie and philly cheese. I know my temp and humidity swings are prob not the best thing but im working with what i got lol. Her top is exactly 6 inchs from the base of the expanded clay now so she is still growing roots are great they had alil staining from the cal mag i think or alil rot but after adding my great white they are snow white. Happy New Years Every One. Im hoping to bring in the new year with some flower growth starting.

Looking robust :thumb:

Thanks green i think my worst area is when i res change it seems i always get some cal mag lock out or deficency but im hoping with my ph pen i will be able to prevent that i also wonder if when i add my ph up/down what ever the case me be on res change if that is knocking the cal mag out of solution for a while then it disolves back in. Im going to test this by diluting my ph up/down in distilled water and use that to ph with instead of full strenght. Will see if that helps.

What water are you using for res change?

Many suggest RO water, but the tap water is excellent where I live. It is, however, chlorinated, so I always draw off what I need and leave it a couple of days for the chlorine to degas and it then comes in about ph 6.5. After adding my nutes before filling, I only have to do the smallest of ph adjustment.

Do you test the ph after adding the nutes? If you have it anywhere between 5.8 and 6, I would suggest that is perfect as it should rise slightly over time and allow your calcium and magnesium to be absorbed.

It's not that these elements are being knocked out of solution, more that the plant can't absorb it till the ph rises above about 6. Although I've seen growers swear by a ph of less than 5.5, I'm dubious and my grow bears that out. That's why I start out with a low ph like 5.5 and let it slowly rise to at least 6.5 over time before I intervene. It's really not about a specific ph, but a range.

What water are you using for res change?

Many suggest RO water, but the tap water is excellent where I live. It is, however, chlorinated, so I always draw off what I need and leave it a couple of days for the chlorine to degas and it then comes in about ph 6.5. After adding my nutes before filling, I only have to do the smallest of ph adjustment.

Do you test the ph after adding the nutes? If you have it anywhere between 5.8 and 6, I would suggest that is perfect as it should rise slightly over time and allow your calcium and magnesium to be absorbed.

It's not that these elements are being knocked out of solution, more that the plant can't absorb it till the ph rises above about 6. Although I've seen growers swear by a ph of less than 5.5, I'm dubious and my grow bears that out. That's why I start out with a low ph like 5.5 and let it slowly rise to at least 6.5 over time before I intervene. It's really not about a specific ph, but a range.

I was just reading throught your jounal the frozen bottle is just great that is clever thinking there. I am using distilled water and i never thought to check to see if it was chlorinated or not i just assumed it was not. I honestly havent been having much of a ph drift seems pretty constant. Was 6.0 when i checked and took a pic a bit ago. But you could be on to something do you think gallon bottled distilled water is chlorinated? The ph out right is around 5.5 straight from the bottle after nutes i usually only need to raise it slightly as the test liquid was a rusty red color saturday will be my first res change with my ph pen so i can get closer than a guess what number this color is lol. But is seems my new growth at res change always gets what looks like cal mag deficincy. Maybe that is chlorine. Im not sure maybe ill let my water sit out before using it. Or the company is lying about it being distilled water and it is just heavily filtered and chlorinated.

I was just reading throught your jounal the frozen bottle is just great that is clever thinking there. I am using distilled water and i never thought to check to see if it was chlorinated or not i just assumed it was not. I honestly havent been having much of a ph drift seems pretty constant. Was 6.0 when i checked and took a pic a bit ago. But you could be on to something do you think gallon bottled distilled water is chlorinated? The ph out right is around 5.5 straight from the bottle after nutes i usually only need to raise it slightly as the test liquid was a rusty red color saturday will be my first res change with my ph pen so i can get closer than a guess what number this color is lol. But is seems my new growth at res change always gets what looks like cal mag deficincy. Maybe that is chlorine. Im not sure maybe ill let my water sit out before using it. Or the company is lying about it being distilled water and it is just heavily filtered and chlorinated.

Thank you for your kind words.

If your opening ph is 5.5, I would just leave it there and let it naturally drift upwards.

Personally, I would not use distilled water as it is dead! It's been boiled (or near as damnit) and thus deoxygenated and our roots love oxygen. It shouldn't worry about chlorine in it as that evaporates at a lower temp. My suggestion would be to take a deep breath (fart if that helps) and allow the natural processes to do their thing. Only worry if your parameters fall outside those recommended. :)

You've also reminded me that it is ice bottle change time as this one has deforest kelly'd.

Back
Top Bottom