MGD420 First Grow: Autos

I have plants sitting on different hight platforms to all be at same hight. I had light 12 inches off tallest plant and adjusted others as they came into flower. Now all in flower they are same hight and now light is higher.
Never thought of doing that. The plants are near enough the same height and distance, maybe a couple of inches here and there between them where some of the colas have a bit more stretch other the rest of the plants

I try run the lights on as high a setting as possible as I don't like the thought of dimming them and then the plants don't get as much light as they're needing but more recently I'm having to dim them when the temp gets too high as turning the dehumidifier off the humidity goes too high. I'm guessing with them being led and pulling 300 watts from the wall that they will more than likely be putting out more light intensity for the amount of power they use ?
A $30 lux meter will give you a good Idea what kinda light your putting on those girls would be money well spent. In flower lux light should be between 5500 to 8500 I think. I was at 8500 to 9500 at 12 inches with my light. It was a great hight for Photos but like I said. Autos with lights on for extra 6 hours showed light stress.

get a good lux meter if you do. cheaper and older ones don't return proper readings under led.
not sure $50 cdn is gonna cut it. led photons travel travel very directional. far more so than other light sources.

I try run the lights on as high a setting as possible as I don't like the thought of dimming them and then the plants don't get as much light as they're needing but more recently I'm having to dim them when the temp gets too high as turning the dehumidifier off the humidity goes too high. I'm guessing with them being led and pulling 300 watts from the wall that they will more than likely be putting out more light intensity for the amount of power they use ?

run higher than 60% if possible and try run no higher than 95%.
led loses spectrum at lower settings, and rigs burn out too fast when run full up.

seedlings can be run at 50% or under as spectrum loss is not as much of an issue at that stage.

get a good lux meter if you do. cheaper and older ones don't return proper readings under led.
not sure $50 cdn is gonna cut it. led photons travel travel very directional. far more so than other light sources.

led loses spectrum at lower settings, and rigs burn out too fast when run full up.

seedlings can be run at 50% or under as spectrum loss is not as much of an issue at that stage.
I just needed to have some sort of reference on light. It does what I need it to. I take readings with a grain of salt. If I really wanted to know actual light I would have paid $600+ for PAR meter. I did that mars light contest so I used my light from seedlings. I had light at 35% for veg. Next time I'm bring out my little 100w burple for veg. Not going to waste all those watts on veg; In fact I was thinking about buying a nice T5 setup for seedlings and veg .

I was running the light at 75%. The dehumidifier is the biggest issue with heat as when it's not on the temps from the lights never go above 25C but can go above 30C with the dehumidifier on.

My other girls were going same direction. First sign was yellowing and curling up and some down and then brown spots with drying leaves.
Yea the leaves on the plant that was furthest along curled up with brow patches then went dry and crispy, the leaves went that dry they would just crumble. It seems more with the plants that are budding, plants were fine before the buds started showing.

Not sure if this is any use but this is a full review with par tests for my light, I have 2 in a the 4x4.

Sp3000 par test review. Youtube
link doesn't work but no worries... Sure It can help but I'm not so sure how if we can trust those. They are par charts for the sale of their products and not sure every light is exactly the same. For example My light says 450w at 100% but measured it is 435w actual draw. I watched Mr. Grow do an unboxing of my light and he was drawing 525w at 100% with my light.

link doesn't work but no worries... Sure It can help but I'm not so sure how if we can trust those. They are par charts for the sale of their products and not sure every light is exactly the same. For example My light says 450w at 100% but measured it is 435w actual draw. I watched Mr. Grow do an unboxing of my light and he was drawing 525w at 100% with my light.
Link is working fine for me.
The par tests were independent and not by mars hydro or has any affiliation. The guy tests different lights and reviews each light based on price, performance/par tests etc.

The par tests were independent and not by mars hydro or has any affiliation. The guy tests different lights and reviews each light based on price, performance/par tests etc.
yes but my point is, it wasn't your light hanging in tent. It was same light but not yours. I don't think they are all exactly alike. Similar but I personally think they very a bit. Just a personal opinion based on what I have seen and my light experience. Learning to read the plant is the best way to figure out light hight. I think 12-18 inches is a good baseline. If top leaves start to curl and turn yellow you need to either dim or raise lights. If you're 18 inches away from your top buds you're not burning anything. Yes you want to be at a hight that pushes them without burning. I'm sure it depends on strain. I think the extra 6 hours of light but I don't know. I just know they don't like 12 inches. I have them at about 15 inches now and I'm hoping this is right. They seem to like it better. Others have already gotten some green back in them and there starting to uncurl.

example of putting plants at same hight or varying heights because some plants flower at different times.

88998E02-7507-4F26-B8A7-69D9AC0B2880.JPG
38456A24-AC4F-4FA5-9617-629A16A455BF.JPG
B096B7F4-8C24-4683-985A-237B1E41EBEA.JPG
43543292-DCC0-444D-BA3D-ACFC18AE350C.JPG
29793629-08E5-45E8-9FA6-EC52DE7C84F0.JPG
9615F0AF-F08A-426E-B67F-B4996F588D9C.JPG
A6F75B0E-A0E6-4D9A-B1B4-3F3A4A728E67.JPG

yes but my point is, it wasn't your light hanging in tent. It was same light but not yours. I don't think they are all exactly alike. Similar but I personally think they very a bit. Just a personal opinion based on what I have seen and my light experience. Learning to read the plant is the best way to figure out light hight. I think 12-18 inches is a good baseline. If top leaves start to curl and turn yellow you need to either dim or raise lights. If you're 18 inches away from your top buds you're not burning anything. Yes you want to be at a hight that pushes them without burning. I'm sure it depends on strain. I think the extra 6 hours of light but I don't know. I just know they don't like 12 inches. I have them at about 15 inches now and I'm hoping this is right. They seem to like it better. Others have already gotten some green back in them and there starting to uncurl.
I understand what your saying, just like a car, same model etc but doesn't always mean it performs or drives identical.
Personally I don't think its the light per se that's causing the leaves to dry up but the extra heat coming from the dehumidifier thats possibly intensifying the issue as the light has been closer to the plants and on full without any issues when it was in the 2x4, only difference from then until now is that there's double the space and light now as I went from a 2x4 to a 4x4 and from 1 sp3000 to 2 and added the big dehumidifier.

example of putting plants at same hight or varying heights because some plants flower at different times.
I understood what you were saying about placing the plants at different heights.

The 3 of mines are more or less around the same height. The smallest of the 3 is only an inch or so smaller in height but it's also one of the plants that's leaves have turned dry and curled. The one closest to the light is the one that looks fine with no discolouration or dry curling leaves.

20210329_234058.jpg

Back
Top Bottom