Monster Cropped White Widow - SCROG - Hydro - 2015

Yeah I realize now that the pic was before I moved the hangar to expose the vent. Sorry about that guys.

Before sealing everything up last night night, I did move the hangar so the bag could vent. Good eye Gooch! I also turned off my inline fan, I kept the oscillating fan at the bottom of the tent on though to help move the CO2 around over the plants. I adjusted the height of the fan to allow for optimal CO2 dispersal over the plants.

After a few hours of it being in the tent and the light being on, I went back and checked on the plants. You can definitely see a difference in just over 3 hours. They are taking the added CO2 very well.

I just got back from the lab and came home with a couple goodies that I brought back with me. I have a tester that measures all the ambient gasses in the air, not just CO2, I use it for some of my terraforming tech to check atmospheric conditions. And to evaluate the rate of atmospheric change. I also brought home a basic CO2 ppm test kit, the syringe kit. First I used the syringe kit, I pulled air into the tube and shot it into the tester, the purple mark was at 800ppm. I then used my electronic tester, after it booted up and started spitting out all its numbers, the CO2 in the room was 834. The ambient CO2 in the air is 358 in my living room. That means that by adding the 1 bag of exhale into the tent it has already added 476ppm of CO2 into the tent.

At 800ppm I feel that I am in the sweet spot of where I want to be, 1500ppm is too much in my opinion, whereas 800 should give a nice steady boost without having to worry about going over board on the CO2 and hurting my plants. I am hoping however that the bag produces just a little more CO2 than it currently does. My target high concentration of CO2 is 1000-1100ppm. I am hoping to have the plants be in that rich of a environment for its bud swell stage around week 5 of flower. So starting off at 800 is a good starting point. I have a couple weeks to get the ppms up to around 1000 before that stage hits.

Hopefully this answers any questions, the electronic meter used is called MultiRae Plus incase anyone was curious. I plan on monitoring the PPM every few days, Now that I know the syringe is almost accurate, I will just use that so I can take my tester back to the lab. I wanted to see if the syringe kit came close to the electric meter results.

So that being said, I got the answers I was looking for as to if these bags work or not, Yes they work, but if you don't have everything else in your grow going perfectly, meaning no nutrient issues, or stunted growth, you wont really see the effect of adding CO2 into the grow. I think this is where the problem lies in the reviews of the bags when people say they don't work or are a rip off. Just by adding CO2 into the grow doesn't mean its going to be some magic additive that boosts everything. The truth is, it wont, not unless your good on all other fronts as well. If your grow isnt going along smoothly adding CO2 will do nothing extra for your plants. They need to be healthy and happy before adding it in. That's the issue, people saying they don't see any increases in yields, or no increase in growth, 9 times out of 10, have other underlying issues in their grow, like the PH being off, or they were overfeeding or overwatering, or any number of other issues. I know they may seem small. But CO2 is really meant to be the icing on the cake, once you have dialed everything else in and you are no longer having those issues. Yes I know you should have your tent maxxed out with light as well. But to be honest that's just a good rule of thumb, but as long as you have enough light for each plant, CO2 enrichment will be just as effective. The difference being, that with more light and the added CO2, the plant will actually be able to use all of the light its given instead of just a portion. Well if you have slightly more watts per plant than needed you will see that the plant actually uses all of the light its given, and that extra energy gets used up without stressing the plant. I know it may seem like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel sometimes, I apologize about that, I'm a scientist and I am always trying to understand how things work and figure out a better system to get what I need. That's basically what these personal grows for me are, experiments, trying different things that will ultimately increase yield, potency, and shorten grow times, which I believe is something we all as growers would like. Well it takes finding the right mixture of things to get all of those components just right, I don't expect to do this overnight or have some idea that no one else has ever had, I am just trying to take those ideas and make them easier.

I received a message basically belittling me about doing things that have already been done and experimenting with them, I was told to just read reviews and others journals. The problem with that was, I could never find specific information I was looking for, Most people don't go about things in a scientific manner, not measuring saturation levels, or getting base readings for that matter, No instructions as to how to use things, and more importantly if a product didn't work how people were expecting it to they blamed the product, not their own misdeeds during the grow. I do read everyones journal that I follow, I may not post all the time but I am always lurking around here somewhere. And that is basically what happens on these journals, but if you read them you will see that they had problems, they may not be major, but a lot of little problems in my book are just as bad as a couple big problems. Anytime you use a " Booster" you need to make damn sure theres nothing wrong with your grow. With all that being said, how can I trust other posts about a product with all those variables, that is why I fully explain what I do, what I'm using, and what the readings are. So people can know how its affecting things, I am making sure to keep everything in check, including temps, to make sure I get the full benefit of what I am using.

If anyone else has a issue with what I post, please let me know, I will stop posting like I normally do and just stick to posting pics if it continues to be an issue. Thank you to everyone else that's been following and I appreciate all your feedback and help.

The Temp inside the grow room is steady at 88F, and that's with my inline fan turned completely off and the oscillating fan turned on. You could actually tell the difference with the air when I unsealed the tent, the air was very heavy in the tent. That was the best indicator that the bag was doing what it was suppose to do. So yes these bags do provide CO2, now do they provide enough CO2 that they state, and for how long they state, those are 2 separate questions. And I plant to be able to answer them by the time I harvest.

Sciguy I agree 100% with what you said about reading other journals but still having questions about methodology, conditions, and other variables. I am sorry if someone sent you a email saying to stop. That is just....well lets just say I disagree with that. The whole purpose of this forum or community is to share our passion, interests, and experiences with cannabis. Just because someone else did something sometime ago, does not mean you can not revisit or duplicate that effort. Maybe there were some unanswered questions, or maybe you would just like to see for yourself. Who cares, if it is something you are curious about, then do it.

I for one just want to say thanks for doing what your doing. Please feel free to post your thoughts, opinions, or observations about anything you deem relevant. If someone gets annoyed at what you post, then there is always the options of them unsubscribing from the journal. I believe that you can read anything and take away only what you need from it.

So that is just my 2 cents.

The whole purpose or creating a grow journal is to be able to make marked adjustments and see results over time. Now i to was berated but not here, it was on another forum, and i said basically if i dont do it myself then i dont actually know. The way i learn is by doing, not reading what other people did, although that gives me ideas about doing things for sure, then i figure them out in my warped head and try my methods. I wish i had access to a meter to test mine but i know it is doing something the results are in your face. My temp is stead at 20c i would like it to be a bit warmer and i will be getting a small personal heater to maintain the temp better during the flower stage whcih i am just entering, as i start another round of seeds

Don't let that stuff bother you Sci. I have a little mix in how I post. I add in some humor and stupid stuff but update what I call stats or vitals every post. Some people probably don't even look but this info would have helped me a lot in my growing infancy.

Yes everything any of us want to test has been done before. But I read an interesting post on LED's where a person had a very strong opinion against LED's and i read his grow and even I as a novice could count 5 easy to correct Errors.

His opinion went "flush".

Sometimes I can't find what I am looking for on the forum in a fashion i find consistent with my grow.

Reading page after page before I even started i still made mistakes and asked questions, Read more etc. after i did.

Do things the way you want them to be done and posted etc. If people don't like it then then don't have to read it as Bama said.

But then again I think only 3 people frequent my thread faithfully. :rofl: So maybe the way I post and such aren't ideal either. But I have a routine that works and my methods have been helpful with my own need to reference back for info.

So it is what it is.... People are reading your grow so people must like it...

nuff said...

Keep up the good testing and it only is that if you give the whole story....

:peace:

FE

If people don't like the way you are writing your journal, (which is your notes to yourself) they should unsubscribe and move on. I like the way you test for yourself, it helps people like myself to understand better. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this..............well :thedoubletake:............maybe in your case it does. :Namaste::high-five:

Hey Far East Buds.........do you know that I'm stalking your journal. :)

If people don't like the way you are writing your journal, (which is your notes to yourself) they should unsubscribe and move on. I like the way you test for yourself, it helps people like myself to understand better. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this..............well :thedoubletake:............maybe in your case it does. :Namaste::high-five:

Hey Far East Buds.........do you know that I'm stalking your journal. :)

Hehe thanks your one of my 3 ;)

Thank you guys for the positive feedback. I'll continue to post as usual then. But for now gotta make dinner before the lights come on. Tonight I want to really sit down and take measurements of each plant and compare them to measurements I took before adding the CO2.

Waiting for the results.:reading420magazine::geek: My lights just went off and I still have not taken measurements. This week has just been busy.

ok the measurements are in, Big Bertha, yesterday measured 30in across, today she measures 34in across, she was 21in high yesterday and today she is 24.5in. The other plants have put on a average of 1.75in overnight in vertical growth and around 1.25in across. I am definitely seeing the most gain in width of the plants rather than vertical growth.

The humidity is high as hell in the tent, it was at 99% when I first opened up the tent, this is due to the CO2 bag, after a few seconds of the tent being open the humidity dropped right back down to normal levels. Overnight the temps did not go higher than 89F. This was with the fan off, I am actually not noticing a difference in temp with the fan being on, even with the fan on it stays around these temps. I don't know I'm at a loss on that one.

Sorry for not being able to take pics tonight, I was too shaky taking the photos, and well unless you want to look at a big pink and green blur, the photos I took were not anywhere good enough to post. So I will have to take more pics tomorrow when I am feeling a little better.

No the heat is fine. With CO2 you can run your tent up to 95F, I wouldn't recommend going that high, but me being able to keep it under 90F is a win in my book. Since it stays under 90F I never have to turn the fan on to vent my tent, allowing the CO2 concentrations to get higher and remain at higher levels.

Going in today before the light went off I took another CO2 test with my digital meter before taking it back to the lab. The CO2 saturation in the air inside the grow tent was 1036. The material inside the CO2 bag is a lot more white than when I first hung it up, the bag has not inflated or anything like that yet.

The humidity inside the tent I feel will start becoming an issue unless I do something to nip it in the butt before it gets too bad. There are water streaks running down the walls of the tent. With RH at 99% mold and bud rot amongst many other issues can arise. I tinkered around with a few ideas yesterday and did some more experimentation. I found out a couple of interesting things.

First thing I found was exactly where the water was coming from. At first I thought it may have been the CO2 mixing with with air causing the water streaks. Well that's not it, cause CO2 doesn't mix with the water in the air like that. So I started looking elsewhere. I thought maybe it was coming out from the bag, Nope that was not it either, if it was coming from the bag it would be dripping all over my plants. There was nothing on the plants so that wasn't it. Then it finally dawned upon me, its transpiration from the plants. I then thought maybe it was the temps, but like I said my temps are always in this range and this is the first time this has happened. So that eliminates the temps as the culprit, the only other thing that could cause it is the CO2. After a long talk with a colleague, he has a couple PHds in Botany, and also is a commercial grower where I live, he confirmed my suspicions. He broke it down to me what was happening and its basically like this, When you add CO2 into the tent and completely seal it, the plant uses that CO2 during light hours as a energy source. Giving your plants a healthy source of CO2 during the day time is basically like a body builder taking steroids before a workout. Adding CO2 provides enough energy for each plant to fully use all the light that it is given, the side effect of using all that light is that it can now take up more nutrients and water, as well as be able to transport those nutrients throughout the entire plant much more efficiently. He said usually plants max out with light, and that's why CO2 is best for if you already have everything maxxed out in your grow, Since it enables the plant to use everything it is given, there is no wasted light, no wasted light, means no wasted food. You see where I am going with this, with nothing wasted your plant can really bulk the hell up and grow like a beast! All that being said, when your plant is working like that, it tends to do what we do, perspire. Its the plant sweating that's causing the increase in RH.

Secondly that brings me to how to get the RH in the tent down. Like I said I tinkered around in the grow room for awhile, trying to find the best way to vent out the humidity. Of course opening the door to the tent all the way vents it out very fast, but it also lets out all the accumulated CO2. However the vent patch on the top side of the tent, I can vent that open with only a loss of of 35ppm of CO2, according to my meter, since most of it is hanging around the bottom half of the tent anyway i Don't have to worry about too much escaping, but if I just open the corner of the tent patch, it takes about 45 minutes, but the tent went down to 38RH and 994ppm of CO2 at the vent hole. It maintained that all night. I will try it again tonight, if it maintains the same numbers, then I have found the solution to my problem. Since water evaporates and rises, all the moisture should rise above the CO2 and vent out of the tent and into the room.

I will happily admit that a tank and regulator would be better since you can control the amount of co2 in the air. Instead of having to constantly measure it all the time.

True True!
Thank you for sharing all the CO2 stuff cause I am sure all of use have and or will debate it. I do wonder one thing and it is not to be negative to your test tho...

You are running superb clean smooth growing plants on high PPM ;) yippeee!!!!

Shouldn't they be popping like that anyway?

Future side by side? No question CO2 improved it I need no convincing. And there is a lot of info to be had from the solo run. It is obvious your attention to detail and growing abilities excel. So I kinda would expect your plants flying down the freeway right now ...

But if I didn't say it I am sure someone would. Thank you for sharing your info as I learn things daily from your journal and others. It makes a difference to me ;)

:peace:

FE

I have to agree with these guys when I say that you should post whatever you feel is useful on YOUR journal. As I see them, journals are generally for the grower to keep record of changes/progress and if others happen to pop in, the grower must be doing something right! Of course some people start journals only to share information, but either way, they are giving back to the community.

I personally love your attention to detail and the experiments that you perform, even if they have been done before. Every person's grow is different and has various environmental/setup variables that can greatly change how the grow progresses. Plus you might find something out that contradicts everything you read on some subject, and change the game! We all want to keep tweaking our grows to be better, and we can only get there through experimentation.

Keep it up, and there are plenty of people interested in seeing how your various experiments turn out!

Well your right Far East you should have plants growing at a great rate if you have everything going smoothly. Now as to measure the difference between growth and if its really effective. Then you have to look at things not just over a period of a day or two but over a period of weeks in order to be able to tell definitively if its truly and enhancement to growth or if it is growing at a normal rate.

To figure this out, I have been taking measurements since they first rooted, getting a average rate of growth per growth stage. During flower the most that any single plant put on in a 24 hour period was 1.25 in in height and .76in in width. This was the average between all 4 plants. By keeping stable numbers of nutrient levels, and ph throughout the entire grow, it helps keeping everything identical to not throw off the results of each experiment, I try to keep it down to 1 or 2 changeable variables. I wrote earlier in the journal, that I have been growing this particular strain straight for over a year now, I have been growing this strain only, and been doing it on purpose, to learn everything I can about the specific strain and how it grows. Since then I have studied how this strain reacts to heat, different lights, from CFL, MH, HPS, and LED, also what the plant needs under those specific lighting and how its needs change under the different conditions.

Now to the CO2 side of the equation, in the previous paragraph I gave the average growth throughout veg, Since I am only 16 days into flower I do not have enough data to say for certainty that it has increased the growth rate. However I can tell you that the data that has been collected on their growth to this point would suggest so. I vegged for 35 days, and at the end of 35 days of flower I will compare the results.

Now to get better accurate information, I will be comparing this data, to the numbers from the last grow. I did the same thing last time during veg and flower measuring the average growth rates.. The difference being, this time during flower I added CO2, so if there is a increase in average growth rate I can compare it to these numbers to see any differences. Using last grow as a control.

Now on to the side by side, I would be up for that, the problem is, I don't know how to do that. What is it that your wanting a side by side of? In order to show a difference in growth between something with CO2 enrichment and something without, I would need to have a whole other set of plants in the same conditions just minus the CO2 that have been growing all at the same time, and then show pics of 1 set of plants next to the other set of plants, is that what your talking about? That would be pretty hard. or are you talking about a pic one day of the plant and tape measure and the next day the same pic but showing how much it grew? Even if that was the scenario, the pics themselves would be easy but that doesn't say anything to how it grows over time with the CO2 compared to no CO2. I'm not trying to sound offensive or defensive, and I really don't mean for it to sound that way if it does, I just cant see how I can accomplish showing a rate of growth over a long period of time in a side by side photo or even in a video. Any ideas and I would love to do them I think it would be awesome to be able to show something like that!

Well that's about it for now I will take some pics tonight of the plants and post them in a couple hours, right now I am waiting on some Death Star wax so I can start my weekend off the right way. Ill post the latest readings as well with the pics and any changes in the grow environment. Keep it Green!:thumb:

Hey, quick thought. You could do a side by side next flower, using the same tent and equipment. Use a thick transparent plastic sheet. Get a roll of 3M velcro. Attach the velcro to the sides of the tent splitting it down the middle. Also along the bottom. Then use some heavy duty duct tape (think 100mph tape) and that would further provide an air proof barrier. Now at the top of the sheet you could have some space to allow for airflow and for the humidity to escape. CO2 should not bleed over the top. Now while they are growing you can have not only a side by side comparison but also be able to take pics.
I really like this idea. I may do it on my next grow. My tent is 4 x 8, so breaking it in half with the sheet would be an even 4 x 4. I would need to add a fourth light to make the light even on each side but that would be a cool/fun grow. :)

Anyway just my $.02. :)

Back
Top Bottom